• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Oh boy its back! Nice to see a change for the better in Matthos, though vengence does not always play out too well in this world.

Not quite, but now I will be updating his as regularly as I possibly can, hopefully once a week.

Andrzej I said:
Absolutely wonderful story so far. Looking forward to seeing how Robb ends up.

Yeah... he's not doing to well.

Cuban said:
Yes !!!!! It's back ! And as good as ever !!

It is back, and boy oh boy do I have some surprises in store...

annexme said:
I hope it's back to stay! Just caught up on everything, was great. Is great, I should say.

I frankly can't believe this many people read my AAR :D

SuperTechmarine said:
I love it. But why would Stannis blind Tyrion? And why would he give back Cersei and her brood. Joffrey and his mother should have burned with the Great Sept of Baelor.

Politics. Also I needed a justification for keeping them alive in the game. I was nearly bankrupt when I took King's Landing and needed the ransom money.

Crow T Robot said:
I hope this isn't dead and gone. Really enjoying the story.

Unlike most things in Game of Thrones I swear this will never die!

Chapter 14: The Message

Loras

"Three dozen, no more. A few with bows and spears, but none with horses."

Loras considered the odds. He only had twenty men, but all where mounted, and if they moved quick enough they could catch the wildlings by surprise. "The snow might slow our charge. If we get bogged down we're useless."

Ser Lyonel Tyrell scoffed at the idea. "The wildlings are ill-disciplined. We charge over that hill they'll scatter as soon as they see us." Loras's cousin was freshly knighted and hadn't fought a day in his life. He was tall, thin, and extremely naive, just how Loras was a year before.

"I had no idea you were such an expert on the wildlings," Solio mocked, giving Lyonel an evil eye from the top of his horse. "Tell me, where did you learn about them? Have you fought them before? Or perhaps you read about them?" The tiny Tyroshi man seemed unaffected by the cold, even though we was bare chested.

"Quiet runt!" Lyonel said angrily. "You can not speak to me that way! I am the nephew of Lord Mace! You are a nobody!"

"Cousin, shut up and don't open your mouth again," Loras ordered, "Solio, the same goes for you unless you have something to add to the battle plan." Both of them did as ordered. Loras turned back to the scout, a Northerner, specifically a crannogman. Although Robb Stark was still frail from the lashing he had received from Stannis, he had ordered every crannogman who knew the Neck to scout for the Royal Army. They were proving invaluable. The wildling army had rolled over the North by virtue of it's size and the fact their were few soldiers left to oppose them. But now the Neck was breaking them up, and their lack of organization was truly showing. "What do you think?" he asked the short swamp dweller.

The Northman looked genuinely surprised by Loras's question. "The ground is frozen hard. You horses shouldn't have much trouble charging. But if the crannogmen were in this situation, they'd run for softer ground when they saw you coming."

Loras thought about it for a moment. "I don't think the wildlings will be as devious as crannogmen. We charge quick and kill who we can. If they run, we let them go. Understood?" The horsemen nodded. "Right then, do it quick!" Loras mounted his horse and waved away the lance his squire offered him. It would not be useful in a fight like this. Instead he drew his sword.

The horsemen moved quickly over the hill that had been hiding them from the wildlings. Loras's heart started beating faster as he looked at the savages' shocked expressions. He was in his element now. No petty disputes over title or having to talk with lowborns who had been raised to high. It was combat, pure and simple, with an enemy to kill out before him. He swept into the wildlings and slit one's throat almost casually from the back of his horse.

A second later an arrow buried itself in his horse's chest, and the poor beast slammed into the ground. Loras was on his feet faster than should have been possible in his thick war armor. He recovered just in time to bring his shield up and block the second arrow that was speeding towards his head. He looked for the shooter. There was a red-haired wildling woman preparing her axe just a few paces away. He moved as fast as he could and slashed at her. She dodged nimbly, then struck at him, but the blow did not have enough force behind it to pierce his armor. Loras moved quickly, smashing her with his shield then stabbing when she was thrown off balance. His blow disemboweled the woman, spilling her guts out into the snow.

The surviving wildlings fled for their lives and as Loras ordered, none of the horsemen pursued. The snow was stained red with wildling blood. "Any losses?" Loras asked, wiping his blade on the snow.

"No one," Solio said, sounding rather amazed.

"Good," Loras responded, "Let's get back to camp. I don't fancy our chances if we run into the main army."

* * *​

It was well after nightfall when Loras's men arrived back at camp. Most of them shuffled away to get some rest, or find company for the night. Loras however, was approached by a man he recognized instantly. It was Ser Vortimer Crane, master-at-arms of Highgarden and the man who had taught Loras everything he knew with a sword. And a man who, the last time Loras had heard of him, was in Highgarden. "What are you doing here?" Loras asked.

"Your brother sent me with urgent news," the old fighter explained. Willas was serving as castellan of Highgarden while their father was away. "News that could not be trusted to a raven."

"What is it?" Loras asked, his curiosity piqued. He led Ser Vortimer into his own tent, in case the news was private.

"Willas has long been suspicious of the story that a Lannister assassin was sent to kill Renly. After all, it did very little to help them, as Stannis was just waiting to take over," the master-at-arms explained, sweat dripping down his brow. "Your sister never saw more than a shadow, even though she was in the tent with him. Your brother decided to investigate further. He could find no trace of this supposed assassin, no matter how many spies he hired. But he did find something else. A witness. Devan Seaworth, one of Stannis's squires, swears he saw something come from the tent of the Lady Melisandre the very same night Renly died. A living shadow, just as your sister describes. While it is possible Melisandre did this on her own, it is-"

"Impossible!" Loras shouted. He had been growing more and more angry as Vortimer went on, and now he could no longer contain himself. "She did it on Stannis's orders for Stannis's benefit! He used that witch's powers to kill Renly!" It made perfect sense. It was so obvious, Loras felt like a fool for not seeing it earlier. Stannis was a usurper, a kinslayer, and had assassinated the man he loved. Yet Loras had fought in his army, called him king, even got betrothed to his daughter. Loras wanted to charge the bastard's tent, cut down his kingsguard, and make him confess before slitting his throat, and the Red Woman's too.

But Loras restrained himself. He could face a kingsguard, or perhaps even two, but Stannis was surrounded by his army. He would have to wait. "Tell no one of this Vortimer, especially not my father."

"What are you going to do?" Vortimer asked.

"Soon enough we'll be fighting the main wildling force. There will be a battle," Loras grinned, "And in battle men die."

Last edited:
Glad to see it's back.

For real this time!

Patukov said:
What is dead may never die but rises again harder and stronger.

Now teach those wildlings a thing or two about modern warfare!

The battle will be interesting, that's for sure.

Young Lion said:
Wildling mega -invasion? never saw one before,could you upload a pic?

Unfortunately, I already completed the game, and didn't think it to create an AAR around until well after the invasion.

Chapter 15: The Rock

Tyrion

Tyrion could not see it, but he knew when they approached it. He smelled the sea. He heard the waves beating upon the rocks. He was home. Casterly Rock, which Lann the Clever had taken from House Casterly with nothing but his wits. That was the only time The Rock had ever fallen, and before the Targaryens came the men of House Lannister had ruled as "Kings of the Rock". Even with the coming of the dragons House Lannister had endured. Tywin had led them through the turbulent times of Robert's Rebellion, although he had had far less success so far in the War of the Five Kings. A fortress carved into a mountain on the sea.

Things were not as dire as most men would think. Tywin's army had yet to be beaten in the field, and their retreat had given them time as Stannis went North to fight the wildlings. Tyrion had to admit his father was cunning. Just weeks before a letter had been sent to Willas Tyrell, claiming the Lannisters had sent no assassin to kill Renly, and implicating Stannis in his dead. It was not exactly the truth, for although Tyrion sent no killer he imagine Cersei or Joffery sent one, thinking they were being cunning. But if the Baratheon, Tyrell alliance fractured, Tyrion's family could still win.

A thought that did not truly encourage him.

Tyrion heard the main gates of the great stronghold of the Lannisters open for his father's group. They quickly got inside the halls and out of the snow, which had begun falling only a few days before. They were greeted by Ser Daven Lannister, Tyrion's cousin and the castellan of the Rock while his father was away. Tyrion remembered him as a big, strong man with a fearsome beard and a blunt manner. "Hello uncle!" he greeted Tywin. "It is good to have you back at the Rock!"

"Yes," Tywin responded, "Has there been any trouble here? Are the Ironborn still fighting each other or have they taken to raiding the coasts?"

"No sign of the Ironborn uncle," Devan said, "Although some say they've gotten a new king and will be raiding us soon enough."

"I want the fleet on alert at all times. I won't be caught by surprise like in our last war with them. And make preparations for the army to winter here. If Stannis beats the wildlings he might try to march through the snow to take us unprepared."

Tywin and Daven continued to talk, and Tyrion decided he would not be needed. He hardly ever was. Although he attended war councils as his father's heir, his suggestions were shunned when he was not outright ignored. He had tried to find some way to busy himself, but since reading was out of the question he found himself paying for the army's whores, although he would have a better selection now that he was home. He was nearly down the fall when he heard someone walk in front of him, and nearly ran into them. "I'm sorry," he said, "But could you let me pass?"

"Ahh, Lord Tyrion, I've been looking forward to meeting you," a voice that somehow managed to be grandfatherly and sinister responded. "My name is Qyburn, and I have heard much about you."

"No doubt you have heard all about the blind dwarf Lannister," Tyrion said with disdain, "But I'm afraid I don't do any tricks, so you'll have to find entertainment elsewhere."

Qyburn laughed a laugh that could have come from any loving grandfather in the world. "You mistake me Lord Tyrion. I heard you were a man of books and knowledge. I myself was trained in the Citadel, although I no longer wear a maester's chain. Because of this other men of learning tend to avoid me, and-"

"And you wonder if a poor blind dwarf might be willing to speak with a former maester?" Tyrion asked. There was repulsion in his voice, but in fact after so long with the army he was desperate for some intelligent conversation. "Let's go to the library. I used to spend all my time there, although I suppose its charms will be lost on me now."

"Not at all Lord Tyrion," Qyburn joked, "Perhaps I can find a book neither of us have read, and read it allowed."

* * *​

It turned out that Qyburn was very knowledgeable in history, and Tyrion soon struck up lively conversation with him on which side truly was in the right during Robert's Rebellion. Tyrion called for something to eat and they continued on about Aegon's conquest. After that Qyburn told Tyrion how he had ended up in the Rock, first as a member of a mercenary band, then as a captive of the Starks until he was liberated in the same raid that captured Roose Bolton. Tyrion could tell he was omitting parts of the story, although after all his time in King's Landing he was used to men not telling the truth and decided to like Qyburn in spite of his shadiness.

After hours of talking it was a sudden shock when the library doors opened. Probably someone summoning me to a meeting, Tyrion thought dully, sad to be going. But then he heard heavy breathing, as his the messenger had been running. "Yes? What do you want?" Tyrion asked.

"Lord Tyrion! Lord Tyrion! You must come immediately!" Tyrion recognized the voice of one of his cousins, although no name came to mind. "It's your father... there was some sort of shadow..."

"Yes, what happened?" Tyrion asked, his curiosity piqued.

"Your father... is dead."

Chapter 16: Who Stands Behind You?

Davos

Winter had come to King's Landing. A freezing cover of ice and snow blanketed the city. The long summer was truly over. Davos wrapped his sailor's garb around his body, attempting in vain to ward off the chill. He walked down the Street of Silk, trying to remember which brothel Sallador Saan's message had said. It was odd. A silent messenger had come to Davos's chamber in the dead of night, telling him to meet the pirate at... which brothel was it? Davos cursed, not able to remember. "What brothel was it Grent?"

The tall, thin knight looked from side to side. "I think it was Chataya's," Grent said. After what happened to Dale Davos was not fool enough to go into the streets alone. If the Florent's wanted to kill him, they would not find it easy.

Davos stepped into the brothel and was instantly hit by a wave of warmth. Several roaring fires sat in various hearths, any many attractive women sat with men who had given into their urges late in the night. It was not as busy as it would have been earlier, but even so Davos was surprised by how many men were there. One of them he knew all to well. Between two exotic-looking women was an equally exotic man, and one of his oldest friends.

"Sallador?" he asked, walking toward him, irritation in his voice. "Why did you wake me up in the middle of the night for this? You said it was important!"

The pirate got up from between the two women. "Hello my friend! So glad you could come!" he glanced at Grent. "This fellow? Do you trust him?"

Davos glanced at Grent. "Probably more than I should, why?"

Davos could see Sallador's mind working before he continued, "We will talk in private. I have rented a back room. Come." Davos told Grent to wait for him, which the former hedge knight seemed all to happy to do, and followed his friend to a secluded room at the back. Sallador looked around nervously before continuing. "You must leave King's Landing my friend."

"What?" Davos cried, "What do you mean? King Stannis has given me a duty to rule in his stead, to look after his daughter. I cannot leave."

"Your sense of duty will get you killed," the pirate said, "Dale was just the beginning. Salloreon the blacksmith and Omer Blackberry are dead as well. The King's Men are being killed off, and I do not intend to follow your son to the grave."

"What King's Men?" Davos asked.

Sallador looked confused. "He did not tell you? Dale gathered your supporters in this very place every week. I thought you did not come yourself because you did not want to risk it. We stopped meeting after Dale was murdered, but that has not stopped the Queen's Men from killing us off. Lady Margaery left for Highgarden a few days ago and I plan to sail as soon as possible. I hope you will come with me. I do not want to see you dead old friend."

Davos sat in one of the overly lush chairs that the brothel was littered with. "I wondered why he was in the streets that night..." He looked up at his pirate friend. "If what you say is true I have even more cause to stay in the capitol. I've been trying to find evidence of the Florents' treason, but Lord Florent is good at covering his tracks. If I had a few more days-"

"What would you do if you found evidence?" Sallador interrupted, "Charge the Queen with treason? The King is five-hundred miles away, fighting off wildlings. I will be gone. What allies in court do you have left? They might accuse you of treason if you try."

Davos mulled it over in his head. "Just a few days. Surely our friendship is worth that? Give me a few days to get the evidence and then we'll leave. I'll say I'm going to oversee the construction of a new fleet at Claw Isle." He paused for a moment. "We'll have to bring Shireen with us."

Sallador gave him a look. "Why? Your duty will get you killed. She's heir, she'll be safe enough."

Davos shook his head. "She won't be safe. Her mother hates her, and she does not believe in the Lord of Light. She has to come with us."

The pirate frowned. "Fine, but she cannot expect the best treatment on my ship. I am a pirate after all."

Davos stood to leave. "You're the best kind of pirate Sallador. The trustworthy kind."

ATempler said:
Yes! I can't wait to see what Tyrion does with the Westerlands. Maybe Qyburn can help him get his sight back? He's done ... similar things.

With the Westerlands? He's a blind dwarf who few consider competent. He has to figure out how to keep the Westerlands.

Post edited for reference to an early post with inappropriate language. -- Avindian

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this AAR still among the living?

What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder and stronger!

This AAR is not dead! RL issues are proving to be a big problem though.

A great AAR! Subbed!!