• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Miihkali

Old Guard
6 Badges
Apr 11, 2007
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • For The Glory
  • Rome Gold
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
About one and half years ago I had an AAR in which I played DH Lite as the USSR, allied with the USA, and then declared war on every single country in the world. I actually almost finished that game (I lost my interest in the game after my victory became clear) and I have saved the screenies, but I never succeeded to force myself to post them on this forum. On the other hand I think DH Lite AARs are not half as interesting as DH Full AARs and this is the reason why I have decided to start:

Superpowers Gone Wild II

These are my rules:
  • Normal / Normal
  • Full IC / tech team takeover
  • USSR and USA interventionism moved to 10 (in order to make alliance possible and to avoid DoW dissent)
  • Abandon Manpower Focus and research Mobility Focus
  • Re-arrange all divisions to borders
  • When all Soviet dissent is wiped out, I declare war on every country in the world.

Will this give a new meaning for the phrase "World Revolution"? Or will the USSR go down in flames? We'll find out.

How It All Begun?​

s7qe.png

Mikhail Tukhachevsky has published an interesting paper: "It seems there are more efficient ways to destroy the enemy than a human wave." Soviet high command has been shocked and surprised by these news. An order has been issued to arm all Soviet cavalry divisions with BT-5 tanks instead of horses. This process will take for years, though. At the same time, mobile divisions have been organised into a few powerful shock armies with high mobility (and low softness ;) ).

5ooz.png

March 9 1934: the first declarations of war. Sadly I didn't remember to cancel all non-aggression pacts. The Poles and Romanians must wait for couple of weeks. So must I. And the world revolution. Anyway, after these initial DoW's, the network of guarantees of independence will begin to work.

lhse.png

The same applies for the U.S.

d7e7.png

It has begun.

kd.png

Soviet peoples are shocked by this betrayal.

Last edited:
Me too.

This is going to be awesome.

Thanks! I realised, that I should have created an event, which would have made all countries to DoW me. Now I get a dissent hit for each non-aggression pact canceled, while I'm also unable to immediately DoW everyone. I would have started a new game, but I don't have patience for that. I hope you forgive me.

Uraa!​

x173.png

March 24: first nation annexed. Poland has already joined the war, but seems to be passive. They have just 2 divisions in every province of Soviet-Polish border, while I have 3, so the trench warfare will continue for sometime until my armies have secured Baltia.

7bis.png

In these circumstances I don't find it too bad to be as gamey as possible. Turkey has large army with dozens of divisions, but awful doctrine. So let's annihilate them before they can mobilise. Or something like that. Should I feel ashamed? I have bad conscience, to be honest... I'm hurting inside, deeply. Really. Perhaps I'll allow a Turkish puppet to exist.

04dm.png

Polish and Romanian borders are somewhat quiet, apart from some clashes. It also seems that I have forgotten to declare war on some European nations. I must remember to do that immediately!

o1lc.png

Turkish outnumber me two to one. The lacking quality of their troops means, however, that they have no chance against better equipped and trained Soviet troops. In Persia the huge distances (and large provinces) have already begun to cause problems for my assault.

yvib.png

One month later. In early May the Poles have already lost several divisions. They seem eager to exploit the holes and weak points of my frontline, but have forgotten to protect their supply lines.

eerg.png

May 15: Zhukov pushes steadily towards Helsinki. Finnish losses are huge: they have mobilised, but attrition has reduced division strengths to 60% or less. As Finns have only three VP's --all in southern Finland-- I'll try a quick breakthrough and occupy just their VP's, then demand annexation. I have no mobile troops on Finnish front, though.

yhgc.png

Battle for Helsinki.

sal6.png

The salients created by Polish breakthroughs have been crushed, their counterattacks defeated, and Soviet assault has already pushed deep into Polish territory. Armoured spearhead (2 armoured divions and 1 motorised) has probed to be invaluable and has already encircled and destroyed almost ten Polish infantry divisions. The Red Army has more than one million combat personnel on the Western front, but quick advance has exhausted their organisation. At the same time, first foreign divisions are beginning to arrive to the front from western and central European allies of the invaded countries. Romania has allied with Germany and Hungary, while Poland has made ties with Italy.

Poland falls, Finland falls, Far East falls...​

7rww.png

Quick advancement has led to several encirclements, but also left Red Army troops scattered and vulnerable for counterattacks. In Bialystok, several Polish divisions are annihilated while Soviet losses number only about 4,000 men.

t8pl.png

General Vasili Blücher commands the Far-Eastern front. At his orders, Far-Eastern coast was abandoned without fight in order to avoid encirclements and to force the Japanese to extend their supply lines. Five divisions have penetrated Manchu defenses on the Ussuri river and formed a bridgehead.

p633.png

My superior doctrine and quality of troops allow me to fight very mobile warfare. I'm counterattacking when possible, but avoiding unnecessary losses.

1098.png

The Turks are a piece of cake. The British are not.

dzoa.png

After wiping out most of the dissent I can focus on strengthening my forces.

6lo0.png

On the Central Asian front, the long distances and sparse forces has caused a stalemate. "The big push" must wait until reinforcements can be sent to the area. Luckily, British Indian troops are of very low quality.

i8pr.png

Warsawa is about to fall under the assault of superior Soviet forces. The defeat at the First Battle of Warsawa has been avenged!

7nkg.png

June 15: the butchers of the White Finnish government have been replaced with more popular one.

tlv8.png

In terms of IC, Far East Siberia is not very important. At the same time, China, Manchukuo, and Japan can field an enormous amount of divisions. Because of this, I will put up a mobile defense instead of fighting desperately for every inch of soil. The Japanese are making huge Banzai attacks all the time, and while I usually finally lose the battle and am forced to retreat, Japanese losses also are about three times as high as mine. I think this is acceptable ratio. I'll first secure more important areas and then I can send reinforcements to drive the Japanese off Siberia. I hope I can stop them and form a static defensive line before they reach Ulan Bator.

3cxw.png

Last Polish VP's will be ours!

I still don't think the odds are fierce enough. There aren't any alien invaders.

Poland falls, Germany and Czechoslovakia join the fighting​

1p4h.png

The Finns were easily defeated, but Sweden seems to put up a decent fight...

gldy.png

...even on Finnish territory! Imperialists!

yqg.png

Japanese divisions are pouring on the Far Eastern front.

rpil.png

Blücher is forced to retreat hastily in order to avoid encirclement.

fr8f.png

My strategy on Poland relied on fast advance. Unfortunately, Krakow turned out to be heavily defensed. Thus, I was not able to annex Poland before Polish divisions re-occupied Warsawa. At the same time, Czechoslovak army has started to push northward. I could rather easily to push them back to Slovakia, but I think it's better to leave them in Przemysl and encricle them instead. For now, I must accept that the Polish campaign will become longer and bloodier than I excepcted. Also, I have to re-organise my troops so that there are no empty frontline provinces. I simply have not enough mobile troops for a real blitzkrieg.

jceh.png

The U.S. is not doing too well. On the other hand, they had only dozen or so divisions to begin with, so maybe that's not a surprise.

tz1y.png

German army is well-organised, but lacks troops. For a while, they nevertheless were able to cut my armoured spearhead from supply.

2g99.png

July 24: Poland finally annexed. It's over a month from the beginning of my "VP rush" attack--it took much longer than I expected, and my enemies have got precious time to move their armies Eastward. All quiet on the Romanian front.

am41.png

Daring Swedish expedition was able --against all odds-- to take Leningrad, but now they are doomed to lose.

2ct.png

Blitzkrieg.

Are you going to release puppets? Your TC is going to be miserable.

Probably not. I have full IC takeover, so TC is not a problem, at least not yet. On the other hand, I feel having no puppets and just two superpowers fighting against everyone else is more over-the-top and fits better to the feeling of this AAR.

I still don't think the odds are fierce enough. There aren't any alien invaders.

Aren't there? We'll se that in the next update.

Its amazing looking at what the game is like in 1934 when no one is prepared for war.

Victories in Europe, setbacks in Asia​

j6cu.png

Due to the fast advance of Soviet troops, there is no clear front line. On the other hand, the German army weak in numbers though high in quality.

9guu.png

Troops have been quickly strategically redeployed to German front. Corps Commander Shtern's tanks have rushed to Berlin...

nmar.png

...but in order to defend their supply lines they have been forced to retreat with no combat.

nei.png

4vo.png

German army has been split in two.

hs6.png

United States has survived its days of destiny victoriously.

pbwn.png

Both German and Czech army have faced huge encirclements.

00qk.png

The Anglo-Persian army has gained upper hand on the Middle Eastern front.

vilx.png

A major Japanese breakthrough on the Far Eastern front. Blücher's armies must quickly retreat to escape a total destruction between the two pincers of Japanese troops. The Japanese troops are mostly of low quality militia, but they have amassed dozens of divisions to Siberia. A new frontline will be formed along Lake Baikal line...

EDIT: ...where I am actually traveling this month, so I won't be updating this for a while.

Last edited: