• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

jpinard

Lt. General
104 Badges
May 21, 2001
Visit site
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • East India Company Collection
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • King Arthur II
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Penumbra - Black Plague
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Semper Fi
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
I was assured many times over by the staff of TT that the game's crashing issues would be fixed. I stood up for them when everyone else was bashing them based on these promises. TT then went and dumped the title when they could have fixed it. Decent people would have taken their own personal time to make things right which these guys obviously didn't do and apparently never had any intention of.

I think the best thing to do since even those of us with Supercomputers cannot finish scenarios is to either release the source code or offer a refund/coupon towards other Paradox titles. I'm always a huge stalwart and proponent of supporting developers themselves, but it's apparent we were used by this team.

Hello jpinard,

Sorry for the late reply. I find your reasoning to make sense and I have brought this up with the producers. A discussion about doing this will commence, but I can't promise the result will be what you wish for (all kinds of legal mumbo jumbo and similar involved). But more info to come!

Hello jpinard,

Sorry for the late reply. I find your reasoning to make sense and I have brought this up with the producers. A discussion about doing this will commence, but I can't promise the result will be what you wish for (all kinds of legal mumbo jumbo and similar involved). But more info to come!
This is fantastic, thank you all so much!

Holy h... If paradox do this they would have my eternal respect.
It would be the right thing to do, But I'm afraid some suit will stop it. Companies rarely do the right thing.

I would love to see the code in the hands of people who would polish the game, rather than it being the stale unfinished product we got.

Just to let you know that I'm still on this. Not moving fast, but I'm slowly navigating my way through the bureaucracy to find the person who can decide this stuff. Software rights can be a messy thing sometimes :)

Just to let you know that I'm still on this. Not moving fast, but I'm slowly navigating my way through the bureaucracy to find the person who can decide this stuff. Software rights can be a messy thing sometimes :)

Paradox isn't that huge a company is it? Theres not too many people to ask and the CEO should know who to ask atleast, so start with him ;)
But usually the developer own the code itself, while the publisher own the name of the game and so on.

Like when Eidos and Sports Interactive "broke up". SI took their code and went to Sega, but could no longer use the Championship Manager name. So they released the same code with updates and improvements as Football Manager , and Eidos hired a new team (Beautiful games) to make the next Championship Manager from scratch.

My guess is you will need TT games' permission to release the source code, and very very few developers want their source code released. Specially if they've messed it up.
It all depends on the deal you signed with TT games. But usually the developer own the sourcecode.

Paradox isn't that huge a company is it? Theres not too many people to ask and the CEO should know who to ask atleast, so start with him ;)
But usually the developer own the code itself, while the publisher own the name of the game and so on.

Like when Eidos and Sports Interactive "broke up". SI took their code and went to Sega, but could no longer use the Championship Manager name. So they released the same code with updates and improvements as Football Manager , and Eidos hired a new team (Beautiful games) to make the next Championship Manager from scratch.

My guess is you will need TT games' permission to release the source code, and very very few developers want their source code released. Specially if they've messed it up.
It all depends on the deal you signed with TT games. But usually the developer own the sourcecode.

You are close to the truth

I think that TT made a great game with NWAC, they just not been able to finish it.

Releasing it open source would be a win-win move, because if enough interests arise and the game is getting fixed and expanded and it gains popularity, it could open a way for a sequel. This means more work and money for TT and Paradox. It also means a image return for Paradox in form of happy customers instead of an angry mob.