Europa Universalis IV: Developer diary 39 - Divine Tactics

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Johan

Studio Manager Paradox Tinto
Administrator
Paradox Staff
15 Badges
Dec 14, 1999
  • Diplomacy
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Magicka
  • Starvoid
Welcome to a new development diary on Europa Universalis. There are only 4 more left before release, so we are close. Not a lot to say this week, since everyone is crunching on making sure everything works perfectly smoothly in the weeks up to launch. Seriously. No one is panicking. All is smooth.

This week, we’ll just fill you in on a few changes to game mechanics and then talk a bit about the Christian Theocracies.

Fleet Basing Rights
There are now two types of military access for your navies. Ordinary military access will let you use a neighbor’s ports, just like always. However we’ve added a separate option for more advanced naval matters called “fleet basing rights”. With basing rights, your trade fleets can operate out of their ports, giving you the option to control a trade node where you may have very few or no provinces, but still a large navy to steer trade wealth. Your ships will be able to repair only in ports where you have fleet basing rights as well. However, having fleet basing rights costs money, the precise cost depending on the number of ports the selling country has access to. So don’t go crazy making these kinds of arrangements; the money adds up rather quickly.

Enforce Peace
This is a completely new diplomatic action that you can use on the attacker in a war if they are winning their war. You can demand that they sign a White Peace with their target, or else you will join on the side of the defender. This is a rather potent ability, especially in multiplayer.

Missionary changes
In EU3, missionaries were placed, and then you had a random chance every month of the heretic or heathen province changing religion to your state religion. In EU4, this system has been changed. Now most of the factors that gave you a percentage chance of success in EU3 instead increase the strength of the missionary. There are of course various factors that reduce the strength of missionaries as well; as richer provinces are less likely to convert, some religions are resistant to conversion, decisions and ideas, etc.

Each month, the effective missionary strength in that province is added as ongoing progress, and when it reaches 100%, the province is converted.

Theocracies
There aren’t a lot of major Christian theocracies in EU4, but there are enough to consider giving them their own personality, including their own idea group. The Crusade era came to crashing halt with the Battle of Varna (the game’s starting point) but you still have a powerful Papal State, the Teutonic and Livonian Orders holding sway over the Baltic region, tiny archbishoprics in Germany and the Knights that guard Rhodes against the Saracen hordes.

These states start with 20% quicker manpower recovery and an additional missionary.
  1. Holy Order: +10% Discipline: The Crusader legacy of the Catholic Church has given it access to a host of orders of knighthood that fight for God and believe in his divine promise of victory.
  2. Church Administration: -10% cheaper stability, -10% core cost: The Church hierarchy can be found everywhere in Europe and is ready to act for a religious ruler to smooth the transitional costs of conquest.
  3. True Defender of the Faith: 25% Defensiveness: A mighty fortress is our god. Another mighty fortress? This fort I just built
  4. No Witches: +2% Missionary Strength: Though most famous to Americans from the Salem experience, witch hunting was almost epidemic in parts of Europe in the 15th and 16th centuries. The Reformation didn’t help, with suspicion cast on all non-conformists.
  5. Onward Christian Soldiers: +10% Garrison Growth: It’s easy to mobilize men once you can persuade them that God is on their side.
  6. Turn the other cheek: +1% Hostile Attrition: No matter how holy a populace, a quiet non-cooperative attitude can wear down an army that needs a quick victory.
  7. Render unto Caesar: +10% Tax Income: And give to God what is God’s. Fortunately, the Archbishop is both a secular ruler and a divine appointee to his charge, so he gets it all.

When the Theocracies are fully devout, they get 20% extra manpower.

attachment.php

Attachments

• eu4_35.png
    eu4_35.png
    2,2 MB · Views: 23.262
I'm really liking the missionary change. I'm looking forward to the game's release next month, so keep up the hard work. Question: Does enforce peace cost any monarch points to use or can it just be used freely?

thanks for the info.

Enforce peace sounds like a good idea.

Also question:

with regard to navies, does the control/ownership of the 'naval supplies' resource have any effect on the naval game?

Holy moly this is really awesome. The new diplomacy option is really really good. It allows to keep some balance in the neighbourhood if you have the power. But I particulary love the ideas for Theocracies. I always loved to play with them and this surely will make things much more interesting (and make theocracies somewhat competitive too?)

ENFORCE PEACE
What if attacker is losing the war and he would gladly sign white peace, but defender is not accepting this offer?

As said up there:

This is a completely new diplomatic action that you can use on the attacker in a war if they are winning their war.

Seems you can't use this option unless the attacker is winning.

Hm Enforce Peace sounds grossly overpowered unless you neeed very good relaitons with the defender, or a casus belli or soemthign really soudns way to exploitive

Awesssoooommmmmeeeeeee
I like the missionary changes. The whole luck thing was annoying.

Hm Enforce Peace sounds grossly overpowered unless you neeed very good relaitons with the defender, or a casus belli or soemthign really soudns way to exploitive

Overpowered how? It's only used for white peace and if the attacker refuses, you have to use up your manpower and cash to fight someone else's war. Remember, in EU4, manpower is a precious commodity. If you waste all of your manpower getting involved in wars that don't really concern you, you could potentially ruin your own ambitions or even worse, make yourself vulnerable to an invasion.

The theocracy NI seem a bit OP I can understand that for OPM but the teutonic order might be a bit too strong

The theocracy NI seem a bit OP I can understand that for OPM but the teutonic order might be a bit too strong

I think they are fair NIs that gives bonuses mainly to defensive tactics and don't increse neither production nor trade efficiency like other european nations ideas.
Also the 2% extra missionary strength isn't very powerful compared to the 5% of muslim sultanates and Malleus maleficarum (hammer of witches) would sound really better to me than 'no witches'.

Enforce Peace sounds quite strong. Is it safe to assume that this has a relatively high cost in diplomatic monarch points? And does the AI use it at all?