• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
rkh0.jpg

Chapter 9: The Battle Of Yan’an.

On the 4th of June, I start moving troops to begin the assault on Wuqi, the last PRC province before the capital.
Partisans rise up just in Jiaozhou, just south of Qingdao. Thankfully, they start moving away from the city itself. I have 1 infantry division in reserve, but it is sitting in Shanghai. It will be a while before they can catch up to them.

73p.png

There are massive differences in the number of casualties. Sometimes I get a 10:1 ratio. Sometimes, the losses are less than stellar. I started the attack when there were only about 3 divisions there. By the time it was over, they had been massively reinforced and I had nobody to spare at the time.

8r54.png

On the 8th, I begin attacking Wuqi. To my surprise, it is defended by Mao Zhedong himself. He will do a good job slowing me down, even with mostly HQs and militia and all his forces disorganised. It is the mountaineers that are the real tough nut to crack. It may not be obvious from the shot, but there were units from practically all warlords here. In 1936, they were still happily killing each other. Now they send troops to save their former enemy.

1nrc.png

Not that it actually stops me. After 4 days, Wuqi falls. If his forces had been at full strength, I might have ended up paying a lot more for this victory. Still, they will be able to send in a new batch of troops and force me to start over.

While all this is happening, I get a new fuel warning. The only ships still in operation are the carriers and a trio of submarines that I am using as scouts. I finally figure out why I am getting fuel warnings. Japan’s support brigades are mostly truck-towed (except the ones I build) in stead of horse-towed. This is done to simulate the large number of “tanks” (really just armoured cars) they had available. It means they all need fuel, and they are all fighting and moving all the time. Something to keep in mind for the future.

gqb2.png

Nanchang and Wuhan. So close and yet so far away. I can’t go for Wuhan, because the division stationed at its edge is busy with a spoiling attack to stop a Chinese attempt at a breakthrough. If I let them, they could get some of my men in danger and maybe even split my frontlines. It will take me a couple of weeks and some reinforcements before I manage to stop their attack.
Nanchang is heavily defended. It too will have to wait until I can close a ring around them.
Once that happens, there will be a couple of VPs nearby to grab, but that is not for this chapter.

5zvz.png

On the far end of the front, I am keeping the enemy forces busy with pinning attacks so that my other division can hug the coastline and, perhaps, steal a port/VP from behind their backs.

ph6a.png

I finally manage to corner those damn partisans. Damn annoying little gnats that they are, they will be easily destroyed, but I still will have to repair the supply line to Qingdao and Weihai. Partly as a result of this, I start getting supply issues further south.

ojp1.png

On the 16th, another victory in Wuqi.

cq9s.png

Two days later, Yan’an is surrounded. I am more than a little worried about the size of that stack, but I knew that was the risk.

816w.png

I don’t want to give them time to reinforce, so I immediately start the attack. 157,000 men are thrown into the cauldron. My troops in Hancheng and Wuqi will face a constant barrage of attacks. The ones inWuqi never get troubled all that much, since they have the mountains and forts to protect themselves from the troops coming from Xibei. But it is troublesome. Whenever one attack ends, the next one begins. Not that I mind it if they want to tire themselves out trying to get past my 1 tank division with militia and sub-par support units.

v6bj.png

The ones in Hancheng, however, face a more resolute counter-attack that forces me to divert an extra 2 divisions there (1 infantry and the Imperial Guards) just to help the defense. You may notice in some of my later shots, that the progress gets all the way into the 30s. What’s more, they start bombing my men at just about the only point in the whole front that is completely out of range of any of my airfields. I have no choice but to accept the losses. I only hope that the victory doesn’t end up being too costly. In HPP, you pay the price for throwing away thousands of your men’s lives in a single battle.
A lot is riding on this besides the risk of War Exhaustion and grumbling back home. Defeat here will mean the whole 2nd Army will be in jeopardy, and with it, the whole Western end of my frontline. The only thing standing between them and Manchukuo at that point would be Mengkukuo’s single militia division.
Hancheng must hold!

a6jl.png

Another determined counterattack on Wuqi is thrown off. The Chinese casualty ratios are stunning. After this one, all they will be able to offer here, are tiny pinpricks by single divisions, until the very end when they amass a new stack.

t9g9.png

Of course, elsewhere, the war doesn’t stop either. The whole front is a confusing mix of attacks and counterattacks. By this point, I have managed to get something of a unified frontline going, but the odds only seem to grow as the Chinese just open a new case, filled with shiny new divisions, and the numbers are getting the better of my troops. A little later on, I will again be in a better position to support my attacks from neighbouring provinces and the pressure will ease off just a little.

egjh.png
We did it! Yan’an has fallen, and with it, the whole PRC!
Just look at those numbers. 51K gone. I don’t know just how many were PRC and how many were NRC or Xibei. And just east of Wuqi, another 27K are waiting.

25lg.png

This is without a doubt the highlight of the war so far. Over a month of fighting and dying has finally paid off. I am actually tired from the concentration. Considering how many times I have done Barbarossa with the Germans in vanilla, that is quite a feat. Hats off to the people of HPP!

2mgp.png

While it didn’t count as a costly victory in terms of added War Exhaustion, one look at my production tab about 1 day later, says it all. 25% of my IC is needed to keep reinforcements going. Truly stunning, when compared with the breezy Vanilla game earlier.

Next: Two down, Four to go.

Great! now you can finish dealing with China!

That would be best, I think. Use 2nd Army to hold Xibei at bay and finish the NRC off first.

I am a bit worried about the production time of your vessels. You need about 30 months for light cruisers. That's very long for such a relatively small vessel. How are your practicals?

The CL is only 39% funded.

this. Like I said in the update, my reinforcements need so much IC right now, I can't build everything. I'm hoping to get it down some with almost half my forces taking a rest. Of course, that's on condition that the Ma don't come knocking every day. If I can hold them off until the NRC is dealt with, I'll be in much better shape.

As for my practicals, they are not what they should be. I don't know exactly, but I haven't build any screen until now. In other words, they can't be good.

Yeah, knock down those Commies!

rkh0.jpg

Chapter 10: War And Politics.

After the fall of the PRC, 2nd Army needs, and has deserved, some rest. I redeploy them along the Xibei border with the intent to just prevent any counterattacks.
Throughout this chapter, I make a conerted effort to get my frontline back into a fighting shape, determined to use local numerical superiority wherever I can force it upon my enemies.
Originally, I was going to spend quite a bit of time in this chapter to depict this, but so much happened, that it fell by the wayside.
I also shipped the entire corps sitting idle in Nagasaki to Tokyo, hoping to get them to reinforce to full strength much faster. It helps visibly. Still not fast enough, but at least now they get a couple of % every couple of days.

One thing that got me by surprise was this:

l08m.png

You might ask yourself: “Why waste space on a simple battle loss?”
Two reasons.
First, it was the first actual defeat I suffered where I didn’t stop the attack upon seeing that it was going nowhere. This one, I missed.
Second, a loss of 661 men without anything to show for it is, in my book, unacceptable.

fewi.png

With my carriers sitting idle (I only encounter 2 single light cruisers later on), I decide I might as well use the CAGs where I can. They do a great job: the bomber is chased off and doesn’t come back.
Gotta love those Zeroes!

On the 27th, life gets a lot more interesting, in a Chinese sort of way.

lrka.png

Sinkiang joins forces with China. I quickly check their drift. As expected, they are closing in on the Comintern. I fear this could get ugly. If they do decide to join the faction, what would that mean to Soviet neutrality?
At some point, there will be border conflicts with the Soviet Union. In HPP, these are armed conflicts (as in actual fighting on the map). I don’t know when that will occur. Historically, it happened in 1938, I believe, but that is no guarantee.
And if that happens, and Japan ends on the losing end, they could be facing more than even they can handle.

joc1.png

To illustrate the differences between some battles, look at those numbers. The top one, where I have almost equal forces, against the bottom one, where they have twice the number. In both cases, most of the enemy forces were actual divisions (as opposed to HQs).

jz09.png

It isn’t until the 2nd of July, that Sinkiang gets called to war. My enemies now stretch all the way to Persia. I am not going anywhere anytime soon, it seems.

dhr6.png

Two hours later, victorious Japanese troops enter Wuhan. NRC surrender now hovers near 65%.

lpnd.png

This is one screen that I kept where you can see my efforts pay off. 7 Divisions, striking in 3 directions, with the help of an 8th from the next province. One of those attacks is the battle of Nanchang. From here, there is no river crossing.

By the 15th, my 9th Corps, in Tokyo is finally ready for action. I put them on transports and go pick up the SNLF standing guard in Shanghai. I have plans for them.

f82v.png

Xiamen is another easy to reach VP. With the SNLF assaulting the garrison head-on, the infantry land next to them and go to work, supported by CAGs.

dvkr.png

With enough IC freed up, I can start a second cruiser, as well as Hiryu. I now have 2 carriers and one light carrier in production.

ik74.png

Nanchang falls on the 20th of July. We inflict a casualty ratio of over 2:1 in our favour. Sweet revenge for Jinxi and an important junction in the Chinese front.

v4ad.png

All this time, I have been trying to get the ruling Autocratic party to gain more organisation and failing. Despite my best efforts, they have remained a minority government. During the 3rd week of July, emperor Hirohito decides to intervene, first by replacing the prime minister with Senjuro. A few days later, he replaces Senjuro with Konoe Fumimaro. In both cases, I have a choice between 1 dissent and 5% bonus to party organisation. Obviously, I don’t want dissent, so I go along.

ue7e.png

Xiamen falls on the 21st. My valiant marines stop a weak counterattack and hold the city, with an infantry division on its way.

4lqk.png

By the 27th, I get within reach of 2 more VPs in China’s heartlands. I waste no time initiating the attack.

I was going to end the chapter here, on a bit of a cliffhanger, so I went to the diplomacy screen to check NRC surrender progress, when I notice something else.

e1r1.png

The shake-up of the cabinet worked! At long last, I can Mobilize For War! In HPP, you need this decision before you can authorise going to a War Economy.

dx6e.png

This picture has it all.
War Economy raises my IC from 116 to 141, an awesome difference.
My progress is fairly satisfying, but note the far left edge of the screen. Where the screen ends, is where Sinkiang begins…

Congratulations on your unlocked achievement!

You are officially a 'war monger'. :)

If I'm not careful, though, I may end up mongering a two-front war with all of China AND the Soviet Union.

Oh, well, it would make for an intense, if shortlived, AAR.

If I'm not careful, though, I may end up mongering a two-front war with all of China AND the Soviet Union.

I just hope you have a couple of divisions up there, just in case :rolleyes:

Oh, well, it would make for an intense, if shortlived, AAR.

I do that all day, don't worry about being alone in this :D

I just hope you have a couple of divisions up there, just in case :rolleyes:

I do that all day, don't worry about being alone in this :D

ehr...I have Manchukuo's expeditionary forces up there, along with Manchukuo's actual forces. So, it's WIP:)

And as for the outcome, everybody loves to read an AAR where things don't work as planned. Check Saithis' excellent Australia AAR for one example.

edited to add: On the other hand, if I get Sinkiang, I'll practically be halfway to Moscow anyway :)

congrats, now the Tiger can be unleashed

Meh.
Two front wars are Soooo overated.
I mean, even a measly country like the U.S. managed theirs just fine. :rofl:

You do realise that even I can get the US up to 515 IC at War Economy in vanilla, don't you? There is just a tiny difference :rofl:

Well thats just 258 IC per front, I'm sure you can increase yours a bit more :)

In all seriousness, I am wondering if I can get Japan up to the 200 IC mark by completely conquering all of China. That would allow me to become a Great Power.