• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(511554)

Second Lieutenant
1 Badges
Jun 20, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
I'm totally late to the party and only picked up this game a week ago. Been playing around, finally getting the hang of things (cos like all Paradox game, it takes 1000 deaths before you know what your doing I find XD)

Trampling is escaping me. I've read instead of selecting a unit, I am meant to select beyond a unit and my knights/cavalry will simply run through the unit. Well, that is more difficult then it seems, as they always seem to run out the way.

However, even when I get the positioning right and do manage to catch the unit.. they don't trample through. They just engage in combat. I figured maybe the problem was catching the unit at the centre and that i needed to just catch a side or corner. This is even more difficult to excute, but again, no trample through.

So what am I missing. I'm guessing either its not possible to charge a unit in close formation (as the only people whom seem be in horde are the archers whom nearly always end up dying in the opening archer skirmish and so don't get charged.

I've read alot of stuff saying how awesome mounted units are in the game (Although, not as good as archers XD) but at the moment I seem to be purely using them to quickly get VLs or to catch an army that decides to not fight but waste my time running away.

Your cavalry unit needs to get speed. There is a blue bar filling when they run that represents the charge, so be sure that it is near max when you reach the enemy. Also light cavalry can't trample most of the heavy infantry units. Try again light infantry to get used to it.

Finally worked it out. I was killing the momentum by turning too much I think in order to actually make contact with units.

I guess its a case of lots and lots and lots of practice to get the positioning right. By the time I reach the unit, they have moved! And if I anticipate their movement.... they stop moving or move elsewhere XD

Or am I meant to be trampling units I have already engaged with other units. Like running through their back ranks?

Or am I meant to be trampling units I have already engaged with other units. Like running through their back ranks?

That's the easy way indeed but be sure to not trample your own units. I never saw the IA dodge a lot, especially under archer fire at the same time. Otherwise, wait for the final charge, when they run toward your units with everything in formation.