• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

darthfanta

Basileus Basileōn
67 Badges
Apr 22, 2012
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
Hi guys, just started as Australia. I simply have no idea how to industrialize the nation. There's little to no coal or steel in the country. Resources in general's simply bad aside from the fact that it's got two provinces that's produces gold. Population is simply just pathetic. There's some immigration, but it's only occasional , even with universal suffrage. No one wants to ally with me. The country could barely afford to maintain three thousand men.Can you guys give me some tips?

Immigration will rise as time goes and it will help.
Otherwise you can do as every little nation : go hunt for unciv. Even with one brigade, just target small opponents or opponents involved in a war. Then as you recruit more troops for your colonies, you can target bigger unciv and after a while you've got ressources and brigades. You'll stick lack industry until high immigration in the late century, but prestige and army can keep you in secondary or great power.

Did you start as Australia released from the UK in 1836 or 1861? I found that playing as Canada released in 1861 was a much better option. I simply could not get as many POPs if I had started earlier. I'm not sure if the same is true for Australia, but worth a look.

Did you start as Australia released from the UK in 1836 or 1861? I found that playing as Canada released in 1861 was a much better option. I simply could not get as many POPs if I had started earlier. I'm not sure if the same is true for Australia, but worth a look.
1836. It's bad. You have a pittance of coal and no iron at all. The only thing you've got is two gold mines and that's it. Most of your land's either wheat, wool or cattle. No metal or coal means more or less no industry at all. Even wineries or liquor factories need coal in the form of glass.

Immigration will rise as time goes and it will help.
Otherwise you can do as every little nation : go hunt for unciv. Even with one brigade, just target small opponents or opponents involved in a war. Then as you recruit more troops for your colonies, you can target bigger unciv and after a while you've got ressources and brigades. You'll stick lack industry until high immigration in the late century, but prestige and army can keep you in secondary or great power.
One brigade can't do sh@t in this game lol. Even tiny Bali's got 9k. You'd get massacred by the uncivilised.

Last edited:
I've had a look, and like I thought you're going to want to start in 1861. You start off with four brigades instead of one, and more than three times the population. You'll also start with enough prestige to make you a secondary power, three factories you probably don't want, and some great tech.

-Queue up Empiricism for the research points and prestige, then Realism and Impressionism for more prestige. This should allow you to maintain at least secondary power status.
-You'll probably have enough troops and infamy cap to annex Johore, Brunei, and Bali as fast as possible.
-A furniture chain in one state will be your bread and butter as you will absorb lots of timber and tropical wood. Maybe skip the lumber mill at first as it uses way too much timber.
-Perhaps build just liquor factories in the other states. Skip the glass and just buy it from the world market. Korea seems to be the future target for more coal, via conquest or sphere.
-The colonial race for New Guinea and Borneo is crucial, maybe build up some research points and start researching Machine Guns on January 1, 1870.
-Also, I would make a quick mod to your game to increase wool demand for POPs. Having half your country unemployed is a bit ridiculous.

Last edited:
1836. It's bad. You have a pittance of coal and no iron at all. The only thing you've got is two gold mines and that's it. Most of your land's either wheat, wool or cattle. No metal or coal means more or less no industry at all. Even wineries or liquor factories need coal in the form of glass.

One brigade can't do sh@t in this game lol. Even tiny Bali's got 9k. You'd get massacred by the uncivilised.

I tried and it's completely doable. One brigade is enough to start, you can go against twice your number and still win if your opponent only field irregulars. So with one brigade, you can jump on Brunei while focussing on soldiers in Australia, by the time Brunei is occupied and annexed you'll have two brigades, enough to annex Johore, then you may get a third brigade, enough to annex Atjeh.
At this point between the focus at home (+ generous army slider) I had 6 brigades (3 unsupported one though), after the Ottomans crushed Egypt's army I invaded and took upper and middle Egypt, then on to Ethiopia etc. The only hard point is to get from 1 to 3 brigades after that you're set.
Australia starts with a decent literacy rate so your research will be ok, budget is fine with a bit of tariffs (which also helps demotion to soldiers).
By researching prestige tech, you'll jump quickly to secondary, and with a bit of luck even to great power. Then it's the scramble for Africa and Australia plays as any nation with a small base pop, except the base is actually growing more and more as the century goes