• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alxeu

Hunting werewolves.
100 Badges
Feb 11, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Semper Fi
  • March of the Eagles
  • Magicka
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • For The Glory
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Darkest Hour
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
For most of the period, Greenland was settled by Norse Vikings. The Wikipedia article states that from 986 to around the 14th to 15th century, these settlements remained there, but only at the end of the games period, which is past the game's last open bookmark anyway, so I'm wondering: why no Greenland, would've maid sense adding it with the Vikings, seeing it was they who colonized it.

Reactions:
Would always welcome new territory to be added to the game to conquer however I feel that Viking-Greenland plays too little of a significant role in the Europe theathre during medieval times. One might argue that Iceland didn't have a significant role either in the middle ages though by adding Greenland to the charter you'd be expanding the map greatly towards new boundries of different continents that had virtually nothing to do with europe and the middle east during that period of time. I wouldn't be surprised that if Paradox would actually add Greenland to the game, some people would want to have the Aztecs and Mexico in it too considering how relatively close they are.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'd like to have it so you could play the Aztecs in Sunset invasion cause sometimes I want to just roflstomp the world while sacrificing everyone.
You can if you have Sunset Invasion and The Old Gods.

I'd like to have it so you could play the Aztecs in Sunset invasion cause sometimes I want to just roflstomp the world while sacrificing everyone.

Yeah would be quite an awesome addition lol. First you get to consolidate your power in Mexico and become emperor then you head out to the north to kick some Eskimo/Viking butt in Greenland and after that you start your invasion of Europe.

For most of the period, Greenland was settled by Norse Vikings. The Wikipedia article states that from 986 to around the 14th to 15th century, these settlements remained there, but only at the end of the games period, which is past the game's last open bookmark anyway, so I'm wondering: why no Greenland, would've maid sense adding it with the Vikings, seeing it was they who colonized it.

There are a few events about Greenland if you play some of the Norse lords but I believe paradox said they didn't add it to the game because it had negligible impact on Europe or the Middle East during the games timeframe. Some people lived there but it was never a large amount and they didn't last additionally they weren't a large source of trade.

I don't think the Greenlandic people had significant feudal lords either, nor the ability to affect continental affairs. Adding a tiny tip of it because the rest of it has scattered Inuit communities or is uninhabited also serves for very little.

Reactions:
Greenland would be a fun addition IMO. Ideally, the area should be limited to only a few single holding counties on the western coast where the Norse actually settled, so this would be more for flavour than as a viable region of the map. I think the best way to go would be to have the colonization of Greenland as an event rather than as a readily conquerable region. Perhaps if you control Iceland around 986 an event will occur that will allow settlers to colonize or something like that.

There are other areas of the game that require attention atm but I wouldn't mind seeing Greenland included somewhere down the line.

Greenland would be a fun addition IMO. Ideally, the area should be limited to only a few single holding counties on the western coast where the Norse actually settled, so this would be more for flavour than as a viable region of the map. I think the best way to go would be to have the colonization of Greenland as an event rather than as a readily conquerable region. Perhaps if you control Iceland around 986 an event will occur that will allow settlers to colonize or something like that.

There are other areas of the game that require attention atm but I wouldn't mind seeing Greenland included somewhere down the line.

The CKII engine does not permit unsettled areas and their subsequent colonisation. Iceland wasn't settled in 867 so they got around it by adding fantasy rulers and inhabitants.

Reactions:
The CKII engine does not permit unsettled areas and their subsequent colonisation. Iceland wasn't settled in 867 so they got around it by adding fantasy rulers and inhabitants.

I know, that's why I think that it should be represented as an event in lieu of colonial mechanics. What I'm thinking, is that the event would begin with the discovery of Greenland, proceed with colonization efforts which would entail perhaps investing a sum of money or something like that and the event would end with some one holding counties forming in Greenland. Not colonial mechanic persay and due to the dearth of historical sources on the colonization of Greenland a number of abstraction and fantasy elements will need to be added. Could be fun though especially since there isn't much to do when you play as independent Iceland.

I'm just having fun with the idea.

I know, that's why I think that it should be represented as an event in lieu of colonial mechanics. What I'm thinking, is that the event would begin with the discovery of Greenland, proceed with colonization efforts which would entail perhaps investing a sum of money or something like that and the event would end with some one holding counties forming in Greenland.

Maybe I phrased what I said wrong, but you can't model the state the county would be in before you arrive. You need to give it a ruler, which means Paradox would have to set up some kind of placeholder polar bear lord to rule in lieu of humans. Would the province be noculture and noreligion? How would you stop the province interacting with other players and trying to form the great noculture empire? Paradox could easily make an event chain to colonise somewhere, but since uncolonised land would be horribly bugged their main problem is actually making it work before humans turn up.

Maybe I phrased what I said wrong, but you can't model the state the county would be in before you arrive. You need to give it a ruler, which means Paradox would have to set up some kind of placeholder polar bear lord to rule in lieu of humans. Would the province be noculture and noreligion? How would you stop the province interacting with other players and trying to form the great noculture empire? Paradox could easily make an event chain to colonise somewhere, but since uncolonised land would be horribly bugged their main problem is actually making it work before humans turn up.

Well, in practice it may not work. I suppose the other option would be to just give the territory to some fabricated native pagan lords and conquering them the old fashioned way. This would probably be too much of a stretch and include too many fanatasy elements for some players to stomach. Maybe paradox have some ideas for representing Greenland, although it might just be more trouble than it's worth. :sad:

Perhaps until it is discovered, it could be in the fog of war like in Europa Universalis. And if they do add Greenland, then they should make a decision that only players can take that lets them spawn a Greenlandic horde. Just for the lols.

I do... so how do I go about doing that?

Load up a start date in which the Aztecs can immediately arrive. Fire off the event to start the process, let them arrive, switch to playing them via the console or by save.

In CK2, a province must be able to provide armies. Greenland was never in a position to provide troops, the settlements were too small, too close to the edge of subsistence and too far away. (and yes, you could run the argument for a few areas on the map currently, but asking that the map be specifically extended to put them in isn't an issue there).

Ditto North america - you are effectively arguing we could have consistent troop movements across the Atlantic several centuries before North America was actually colonised, which is somewhat in sunset invasion territory.

I also don't think this would be realistic, even now, Greenland only has 57000 inhabitants. The Norse settlements there were small and became abandoned during the timeframe. Adding 2, maybe 3, one holding counties seems unnecassary for settlements we know little about and were very insignificant.

Status
Not open for further replies.