• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

AlienFromBeyond

Sergeant
78 Badges
Jun 24, 2013
  • Warlock 2: Wrath of the Nagas
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Victoria 2
As I conquer whatever I please in a Magyar playthrough (holy crap the event troops they start with and get from forming Hungary are OP), I've realized my Carpathian empire could use some extra cash. I know Republics are a good way of doing this because they not only make good money themselves even with the 50% tax reduction, but they make every city on the coast they're operating on make more money as well. But I'm not sure how many/how spread out I should make them to account for tech growth over time so they don't get in each other's way, or even if there are specific counties that are considered to be great for a Republic for one reason or another. Thoughts?

I always try to make them without getting tyranny, so just after a holy war. I also pick the richest province in an area. They are a GREAT way to make money, but beware of raiders.

I would recommend one per two coastal duchies. Maybe slightly less, depending on size of duchies. I try to give an honorary title to each Doge. So the Doge of Venice would always get the Master of the Hunt, and when he died, I would immediately give it to his successor. Keeps 'em happy.

I usually have three - Pomerania, Karvuna and Venice.

Don't make them too close to each other, or they will fight over trade areas instead of making money :)

In my Norse game I have the Republic of Holstein (making Denmark and Pomerania prosper), Finland (for Finland, Sweden, and Lithuania), Flanders (for Frisia, France, and England), and I just formed the Republic of Bordeaux (to cover the rest of France and northern Iberia). I find Republics are the most successful when separated by a minimum of three sea zones, giving each enough room to expand. Farther apart is better, but areas with dense coastlines (such as England or Scandinavia) can generally support them closer. Keeping crown authority above medium is an absolute must to prevent costly embargo/trade wars between rival republics. It's also advisable to not let them grow beyond a single duchy and a handful of counties (titular duchies are great for this) as Republics in large stable empires tend to be the most powerful vassals, often being at the centre of annoying rebellions. If you can get and maintain your dynasty as one of the Patrician families, that goes a long way to controlling them.

I believe that each Rep should have 25 sea connected provinces for their own. So put one each 25th costal province.

Mid game its too dense, so you will most probably need to distroy every second one. So each have 50 costal provinces...