• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Energist

Private
81 Badges
Jul 2, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Age of Wonders
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Victoria 2
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Premium edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Season pass
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
Hello, I'll start by saying I'm a huge fan of all of Paradox's games. At the moment I'm having a very frustrating issue that has made Victoria 2 unplayable for me until I find a legitimate solution.

It's 1914, I'm playing as Italy and I'm facing an invasion from Austria due to a crisis. My army is quite modern and plenty large for the first wave of offense atleast. The problem is that Austria is winning every battle against my by a landslide. They routinely kill off 4x the number of men I do each tick melting both my army numbers and their organization. I'm defending on fort level 3 and four terrain with river bonuses and all, yet Austria dominates me every time. Clearly, this is not an intended effect. I can understand Austria winning, but there is nothing to justify the complete one sided nature of this situation.

I have a very modern army that is only slightly under tech compared to Austria

I have my organization maxed, and full supply to troops. He has half organization and supply.

I am the defender on level 3 and 4 fortifications with rivers.

We have approximately even number of troops.

My troops are generally more elite than theirs. Eg. I have guards, artillery, infantry and dragoons, they have only infantry and a few cavalry.

I inspected Austria by reloading. He is attacking me with base infantry, very little cavalry and light artillery. While I do believe he has a tech edge, it is too small to justify this level of domination.

TL;DR I am being facerolled by Austria, and nothing seems to indicate that this should be happening to the extent that it is. I can understand losing a battle, but I can't understand how I am being utterly destroyed without effort.

Bottom line is that this is so broken I simply cannot enjoy the game till I know a solution. I don't mind losing battles. This is hopeless and unjustified.

What about their generals or their inventions discovered? Good generals and bonuses from new inventions can help a lot (I learned the hard way getting steamrolled by Austria as Bavaria).

What about their generals or their inventions discovered? Good generals and bonuses from new inventions can help a lot (I learned the hard way getting steamrolled by Austria as Bavaria).

My generals have all positive bonuses, as do theirs. The issue is not that they could be better than me. The issue is that they kill me so damn well it's like crushing an ant under your boot. They literally annihilate me for no reason. I'm talking losing 5k men per tick while they lose 500k or maybe 1k if I roll high when I'm the one defending on fortified positions and territory. I'd need to be fighting with sticks to lose that hard. I just can't imagine what is wrong outside of a game breaking bug or a seriously imbalanced tech.

The only difference I notice is a modifier they have for "gas attack". It only gives them a +3 attack roll though so I ca n't see how that's making them so incredibly invincible. The only fight I fared well in was against the Ottomans who are sided with Austria. I lost, but it was a fair loss that I felt my men admirably fought. They didn't have the gas attack modifier though.

Gas attack is huge! +3 is a massive modifier and around 1914 the attacker has enough bonuses to be on even keel with a heavy fortification. That they have any techs above you is icing on the cake for them. Expect to lose many troops until you discover Gas defense, negating that Gas attack. Hopefully you have this invention pending as it will only trigger when fighting an opponent with Gas Attack.

Gas attack is huge! +3 is a massive modifier and around 1914 the attacker has enough bonuses to be on even keel with a heavy fortification. That they have any techs above you is icing on the cake for them. Expect to lose many troops until you discover Gas defense, negating that Gas attack. Hopefully you have this invention pending as it will only trigger when fighting an opponent with Gas Attack.

Yap, gas attack is your main killer, another your general. My guess is that you sending attacking general to do defence? Choose general with +3 or more defence to defend. A +5 attack general is clueless in defending.

If you can, defend on mountains or other terrain where the width of battle is limited. My guess is that your artillery is actually at the front row instead of second row due to huge battle width.

Ah ok. It all makes sense now. Thank you very much for clearing the air on that. I must say, I was so frustrated. That seems like a ridiculously overpowered tech IMO. Being my first game, I'll never play another one without that one tech. I got owned, but France pulled through and single handedly beat back both England and Austria. It was the most epic war ever. Eventually I allied with Spain and pulled them in as well. I went from near death to making 9k per day in reparations :). Hot. Can't wait for EU IV at this point!

Yap, gas attack is your main killer, another your general. My guess is that you sending attacking general to do defence? Choose general with +3 or more defence to defend. A +5 attack general is clueless in defending.

If you can, defend on mountains or other terrain where the width of battle is limited. My guess is that your artillery is actually at the front row instead of second row due to huge battle width.

Good to know. I think what I failed to realize is how much each point of those attack vs defense bonuses make. Knowing about the seriousness of gas attack helps too. I managed to get it researched half way through the war and took my frustration out on my enemies!.

I really appreciate you guys' info.

Ah ok. It all makes sense now. Thank you very much for clearing the air on that. I must say, I was so frustrated. That seems like a ridiculously overpowered tech IMO. Being my first game, I'll never play another one without that one tech. I got owned, but France pulled through and single handedly beat back both England and Austria. It was the most epic war ever. Eventually I allied with Spain and pulled them in as well. I went from near death to making 9k per day in reparations :). Hot. Can't wait for EU IV at this point!

It's reasonably overpowered. No conventional weapon can kill a company of soldiers just by them breathing. There's a reason that use of chemical weapons is considered a war crime now, and machine guns aren't. :)

The thing with Gas Attack is that it's a limited time invention. It's incredibly potent until your opponents get it and/or Gas defense. Then it becomes a non-issue. And with Uncivs westernizing and gaining a lot of tech in the process, it's only a factor in a few wars (if any).

I had one game where I was the first to get Gas Attack and so tried to pull in as many of my enemies into a war as I could. Wasn't more than a couple months of war that most of them had Gas Defense and several had Gas Attack. I lost that war without learning Gas Defense, and I believe a couple more before it came to me. Be careful with that one.