• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Dathon

Major
51 Badges
Apr 12, 2001
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars Pre-Order
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Premium edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Season pass
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Cities in Motion
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Sword of the Stars
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
So, it's day 539. I have been a vassal of the Kingdom of Nords from like day 30. I'm lord of Dhirim, Praven, Kelredan Castle, Senuzgda Castle, Ruven and Serindiar. I have about 600k in money in my treasury and a weekly income of about 10k. We are at war with the Kingdom of Rhodoks and Sarranid Sultinate and i decided to form my own Kingdom.

I made my 8 heroes from the early troop setup lords of my kingdom(Alayen, Artimenner, Baheshtur, Borcha, Lezalit, Matheld, Firentis and Rolf) and have taken 7 out of the 8 other heroes in my party(only Deshavi is still MIA). 2 former Lords of Nord have joined my Kingdom after they got booted out and i have accepted them, so in total i got 2 towns and 2 castles, with my court at Dhirim and 10 vassals.
Now the problem is that besides 1 of the former Nord-lords they all have a army of 30-50 troops, while i and that Nord-Lord have a army of 130 troops. In military terms i can't do anything as the total army i can raise is at best 700 man, which is not enough to take a town and barely enough to take a castle(sure i can attack a town that just been taken by somebody else and go to war with them, but i wouldn't last long). Immediately after declaring independent i made peace with the Nords without having to pay them or giving up a fief as they were locked in 2 wars already.

Now i have played for a few weeks after my independence, but still the lords don't have bigger armies and no other lord will defect as in terms of military they feel that i would not be able to help them. My father in law, Jarl Aedin(who owns Tihr), and several other Nord Lords whom i got a good relation with and hold towns and castles won't defect as of this and i'm stuck running around hoping no one will DoW me.

How can i raise the troops my lords and ladies have? Is it a game of waiting each week when they get some money from their fief and then hire a few more soldiers, or do i have to run around train troops and then give those to them?

How can i raise my standings with the 8 former heroes as i can't do any tasks for them like you can do for the other lords? I don't have the fief's to give away and holding feasts every week will cost me too much.

Basically what i really want/need is to have my current vassals to raise their armies to around 100 troops if they can, so i can DoW the Kingdom of Swabia(who owns only Uxkhal and 1 castle) or the Khergit Khanate(who owns only Tulga and 3 castles). I need to raise my level of my new heroes especially 1 with good persuasion, so i can form alliances and such. But as said atm i can't do this, because i really lack the troops.

Can i continue with my own Kingdom like this or should i reload a previous game prior to my declaration of independence and continue as vassal of Nord and try to get a town and some castles more? I know that if i conquer a castle it's highly likely i become the lord of it as well, but the Kingdom of Nord currently has no marshal (for reasons i missed the previous marshal has defected or was chased away for treason) and it seems the King isn't willing to make a new Jarl marshal. In any war the Jarl's just run around like headless chickens and in most cases they end up with small armies while the King himself has 500 troops that he only uses to patrol around Sargoth.

And another question pops up: As King the AI gets a army size boosts aswell for holding any fiefs, but as human player i don´t get those. Is this a bug or part of the game, because it´s a bit unfair that like King Ragnar who can field 500 troops alone, i can only field 130 troops.

You don't need 700 troops to take a town. In fact, I managed to take 2 towns and 3 castles with a troop limit between 120 and 130 using only my own troops. The key to this is:

1. Have only elite troops while attacking fortresses. Hopefully you and your companions have high training skills - with them, you can turn a large bunch of peasants into elite troops just by training in one week.

2. Do not try to kill all defenders in one battle - wear them down instead. Start the siege with 100 Rhodok Sharpshooters, order them to hold their position immediately, and see how they kill enemies in much larger numbers than they suffer losses themself. Having a good medic with high surgery helps too, so many of your losses will be only temporary.
Once your troops stop firing due to the lack of ammunition, retreat from the battle and start to build new ladders/a siegetower directly afterwards. After several battles, the garrison is defeated.
Should your archers be inefficient as the enemy has only infantry left with strong shields, so that they barely kill someone, retreat to your nearest castle/city, swap your archers with powerful melee fighters like Huscarls and start an assault in the next siege attempt.
Obviously, this works much better if you only have to build ladders as you don't have to wait as long as with siege towers.

Don't waste your allies in assaults - they are far more efficient in field battles or in defending fortresses.

Regarding kings and their huge armies - well, they aren't such a large threat. They are very slowly, so you can outmanouver them easily. And if you manage to catch them without their allies, while you have a very strong field army (like 100 Swadian Knights), you can take your chance and attack them. Once beaten they'll take a long time until they get back such large numbers.