• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
RavenBanner.svg

Our glorious and ever wise Emperors have yet again shown their great administrative genius as they have reorganized some of the most vital Themes of the Empire. However as I am not a bureaucrat, I am even more delighted of the clues that the great Empire is preparing a military campaign to push back the vile hordes occupying rightful Roman territory. I can promise that I and my men, my brave and stalwart warriors, are ready at any point to embark on boats to liberate Bari and the Catepanate of Italy as a whole!

Glory to Rome and the Emperors!

~ Hroðulfr af Orkneyjar, Captain of the Varangian Guard.

I, Romanos IV Diogenes, Basileus of the Roman Empire, hereby announce that for the good of the Empire and her security the following Themes will be mobilised:
-Paphlagonia
-Ameniacon
-Charsianon
-Cilicia
-Koloneia
-Trebizond
-Mesopotamia
-Armenia
-Antioch
I also announce that the Empire will be purchasing the services of the Bavarian Company and the Milan company. These forces, in addition to 500 Varangian Guardsmen will be assembled into the Army of Armeniacon. This will be further divided into 3 units:
-The Army of Mesopotamia: 10,000 Commander: Nikephoros Botaneiates
-The Army of Arminia: 4,600 Commander: The Commander of the Varangian Guard
-The Army of Antioch: 2,000 Commander: Valentius Kallistos
The objectives of this force will be to defend against Seljuk raids and await further reinforcements.

~His Imperial Majesty, Romanus IV Diogenes, Basileus of the Roman Empire.

Last edited:
RavenBanner.svg

I thank the His Imperial Majesty Romanos IV for wisely granting me the command of the Army of Arminia. I am certain that His Imperial Majesty can trust me and my brave warriors with this important task. I shall immediately depart with my guardsmen to take command of the Army, and to defend the Empire against the ferocious Turkic raiders. God will grant us victory.

218px-Armoiries_Bavi%C3%A8re.svg.png

Romanos IV, Emperor of the Romans, I Otto Karls thank you for your payment and I promise that my troops and I will serve you well against your foes, may God grant us victory.
-Otto Karls, Commander of the Bavarian Company

202px-Arms_of_the_House_of_Sforza.svg.png

Good Emperor Romanos IV, I thank you for hireing my company, we shall fight well for you and defeat the heathen Turks, God will grant us Victory
-Luigi di Milan, Commander of the Milan Company

Imperial Edict
Given by our hand on this day the eigth of January, in the year 6576 from the Creation of the World:

In order to relieve the Siege of Bari and liberate Imperial possessions in the Catepanate of Italy; His Imperial Majesty Michael VII Doukas has undertaken to mount an expedition to protect Imperial territory and citizens in the area. In order to accomplish this; he requires that public funds be requisitioned to bear the financial cost of such a glorious venture. As his Imperial Majesty will take the lead of the expedition, the Imperial Fleet will also be requisitioned.

His Imperial Majesty Michael VII Doukas also orders that the following levies be raised to serve in the Liberation of Italy:

• Those of the theme of Dyracchion
  • Those of the theme of Epirus
  • Those of the theme of Cyprus

These companies services shall be purchased to serve in the Liberation; using public funds:
  • The Norman Company
  • The Cuman Company

And will be accompanied by a force of two thousand Varangian Guardsmen.

This being done in our name,

-Michael VII Doukas Porphyrogénnētos,
Emperor and Autocrat of all the Romans, Symbasileus of the Roman Empire, Catepan of Italy; Doux of Antioch, Cyprus, and all the Levant

RavenBanner.svg

A letter to the most honourable Godwine and Edmund Haroldson of Ængland

It is now over a year ago when your noble father, Harold Godƿinson, was killed on the fields of glory at Battle of Hastings. As tales of your brave and skillful resistance to the Norman invasion of your homeland have even reached the distant lands where I reside, I have now an important and rewarding offer for you and your remaining heroic Saxon warriors. I call you to join me and the Varangian Guard in Grikkland, and fight against the enemies of Rome and the Emperor. This will be your opportunity to see great adventures and distant land, and gain much loot, riches and fame. The enemies of the Empire include the Normans, the same people who have killed your father. This would be your opportunity to avenge! So, I ask for you to set sail for Miklagarðr and join the brave and stalwart warriors of the Varangian Guard.

An order quietly distributed to concerned persons:

Symbasileus Konstantios Doukas is hereby declared incapable, and is therefore deprived of his titles; and is to be immediated tonsured and sent into a life of repentance at the Monastery of St Andrew and the Cross; in Famagusta.

Symbasileus Andronikos Doukas is hereby to be placed under house arrest for the crimes of blasphemy and treason, and is to be stripped of his titles forthwith before being blinded and confined to the east wing of Blachernae.

-M VII D

((So, turns out that I have two younger brothers who are Co-Emperors as well. As four emperors fucks up the game {esp. with two NPC} they're being taken care of.))

The Demands of a Turk

tr!selcu.gif

As the Seljuk Turks continued to raid Imperial territory, there leader, Alp Arslan, sent his demands to Emperor Romanos IV. "Romanos IV, Emperor of the Romans my people have no reason to attack you, my goal to is to destroy the heretical Fatimids, I see no reason for our people to fight. All I ask is for 5,000,000 Nomisma to help in my campaign to destroy the Fatimids. If you pay I will not attack your Empire, but if you refuse I will meet you on the field of battle"- Alp Arslan, Sultan of the Seljuk Empire.

With his co-Emperor planing a relief force to be sent to Italy, this could be the chance for Romanos to deal with the Turkish problem and avoid fighting a war on two fronts. However appeasment was very un-Roman and the Emperor's skills still had yet to be tested. What would Romanos say back to the Turkish Sultan?

Name: Ioannes
Birth-Year: 1025
Dynasty: Cladios
Field: Nobility
Biography
The bastard son of a old noble family in Armenia, Ioannes served as a leader of troops in the Armenian theme before being removed for showing a willingness to make deals with his enemies. Finding himself in Constantinople, Ioannes took to the shady market and became something of a power player in the area before giving it up to go back to Armenia. However, with the current crises in the Empire, Ioannes sees and smells an opportunity to show his father that he is truly not a bastard.

waringiers_byzantium_vinkhuijzen1.jpg

Name: John Gregorios Lattakia
Birth Year: 1045 (23 years old)
Dynasty: Lattakia
Biography: Born of the currently reigning, yet displaced, Lattakia family. They were originally a family of large and emplaced nobles based in Laodicea, however the violence and instability caused by the invading Rashiduns resulted in their fleeing to Anatolia in 637, a year before the fall of the city to the Arabs.

Since then, the family have been migrating eastwards trying to re-establish their estates in a safer theme, eventually gaining minor estates in Cilicia in 654, Anatolia in 771, Nikaea in 864, Thrace in 909, before finally ending up in Karvuna at the will of Empress Theodora in 1048.

They settled down at the desire of Empress Theodora to establish not only a greater Grecian presence in the Bulgarian Theme, but also to instill the strong character of the Lattakia family in the border levies, which were having troubles with the northern steppe heathens.

John remembers little of his stay in Thrace, but is infused with the now ingrained Lattakia trait of determination and fluid flexibility with failure. He is a strong Byzantine noble who believes his duty is to defend his family estates and lands from the grasps of the northern riders, the eastern arabs, and the western heretics. He is loyal, if slightly thick, and is the proud owner of a set of Kataphraktos armour, past down from a great-great uncle who was a horse guard for Basilius John I Tzimiskes, for whom he is named after.

Last edited:
I, Romanos IV Diogenes, Basileus of the Roman Empire do hereby announce that I reject the Turkish peace offer, while I too hope for peace I will not pay the Turks for it. I therefore propose a counteroffer to Sultan Alp Arslan, the Seljuk Sultanate will pay the Roman Empire 5,000,000 Nomisma in exchange for peace. I also declare that Symbasileus Konstantinos Doukas is hereby declared capable and his titles returned to him, I also remove the charges of blasphemy and treachery placed upon Symbasileus Andronikos and therefore free him from House arrest and remove the punishment of blinding placed upon him.

In happier matters I hereby announce the birth of an Imperial son, Alexios Diogenes, son of Romanos IV Diogenes and Eudokia Makrembolitissa and therefore Porphyrogénnētos.

~His Imperial Majesty, Romanos IV Diogenes, Basileus of the Roman Empire

OOC: Tapscott is overall commander of the Army of Armeniacon, sorry for not specifying that. Also the peace offer is negotiable.

((Sorry for the naming screw up Imperator, my Greek transliteration is not the best. That said, my middle name has changed so that it is no longer John John Lattakia))

Name: Marakai
Birth Year: 1043 (25 Years Old)
Dynasty: Harant
Biography: Marakai comes from an old but incredibly minor noble dynasty. Seeking fortune elsewhere, many members of the Harant dynasty left the Byzantium Empire during the past five centuries. However, a small number of Harants have remained loyal to the Empire throughout all these years. As of now, the only members of the Harant dynasty still in the Byzantium Empire are Marakai's parents, Marakai himself, his brother, his two sisters, his brother-in-law, and his wife, who is recently pregnant. With his father serving as an official in a minor town in the Theme of Moresia and the rest of the family seeming doomed to follow him, Marakai was determined to change his family's fate. Having served as captain of the guard in his father's town as well as a sergeant in the Theme of Moresia, Marakai is a skilled fighter and knowledgeable in battle strategy. Having felt that he was advancing rank far too slowly through the Theme of Moresia, Marakai decided to head to Constantinople to offer his services directly to the Emperor himself. Marakai's loyalty to his family is only eclipsed by one thing: his loyalty to the Byzantium Empire. Having just arrived at Constantinople, Marakai is prepared to do anything it takes to protect and champion the Byzantium Empire as well as to elevate the status of the Harant dynasty to a household name.

Imperial Edict
Given by our hand on this day the seventeenth of January, in the year 6576 from the Creation of the World:

His Imperial Majesty, Michael VII Doukas, Emperor and Autocrat of all the Romans congratulates his father and brother-Emperor Romanos IV Diogenes on the birth of Prince Alexios; and wishes him and his newborn child the best of health. His Imperial Majesty further commends the actions of Emperor Romanus concerning the Seljuq threat and possesses all confidence in the might of the armies assembled in Asia Minor.

His Imperial Majesty Michael VII Doukas also awards the following positions:
  • That of the Doux of Mesopotamia to Hroðulfr af Orkneyjar; for his indispensable advice regarding the Italian campaign
  • That of the Doux of Bononia to Prince Andronikos Doukas; in order to maintain a position befitting his status
  • That of the Doux of Samos to Emperor Romanus IV Diogenes; to celebrate the birth of his son
  • That of the Regent of Samos to Empress Eudokia Makrembolitissa; as an early Theophany gift
These armies are created for ease of operation and command during the Liberation of Italy
  • The Army of Oenotria; to consist of the Norman Company, the levy of Dyrrachion, and a thousand Varangians
  • The Army of Apulia; to consist of the Cuman Company, the levies of Epirus and Cyprus, and a thousand Varangians
This being done in our name,

-Michael VII Doukas Porphyrogénnētos,
Emperor and Autocrat of all the Romans, Symbasileus of the Roman Empire, Catepan of Italy; Doux of Antioch, Cyprus, and all the Levant

Again I find that I am the recipient of Imperial trust. With the command of the grand army of Armeniacon given to me, I vow to prepare the army for combat! I shall make sure that the Army is combat-worthy, and ready to respond to any aggression from the foreign forces. We must, and we shall be, be prepared to ride at the Basileus's command at a moment's notice!

~ Nikephoros Botaneiates
Doux of Athens, General of the Army of Armeniacon, Victor of the Battle of Petroe

((Hey Imp, will our stats be updated to take into account for our new titles and the influence that they bring? I ask because while I have had the Theme of Athens added to my list of titles, my clout/influence levels have not changed.))

220px-Byzantinischer_Mosaizist_um_1118_002.jpg

Name: Zoe Doukaina
Birth Year: 1051
Dynasty: Doukas
Biography: Daughter of Constantine X Doukas and Eudokia Makrembolitissa, Zoe has been noted for her beauty and quiet nature, she has yet to be married and seems eager to do so.

RavenBanner.svg

I am extremely honoured by the recent Imperial Edict and I send my best thanks to His Imperial Majesty Michael VII Doukas for wisely granting me the important frontier Theme of Mesopotamia. As such a Theme is vital for the defence of our Empire, I'm certain that I will fulfill all His Majesty's assumptions and expectations. I'm also delighted to know that my advice regarding the implementation of the Italian campaign has been useful.

Glory to Rome!

~ Hroðulfr af Orkneyjar, Captain of the Varangian Guard, Doux of Mesopotamia, Strategos of the Army of Arminia

I hereby restore Symbasileis Andronikos to his titles. I also would like to remind Symbasileis Micheal VII Doukas of our agreement regarding spheres of Imperial Influence. While I do not oppose his appointments I request the Symbasileis refrain from making appointments within the Senior Basileus' sphere.

~His Imperial Majesty, Romanos IV Diogenes, Basileus of the Roman Empire, Doux of Anatolia and Samos.

Constantinople_coat_of_arms.PNG

My righteous and most honorable Autokrators, I would like to remind you both that you still have yet to appoint members of the Imperial Council and that we are currently running a deficit. It is only with best intentions that I inform to please rectify these matters. In order to solve the money problem I ask that the Autokrators bring into effect a temporary tax that is only in effect during wartimes. Thank you

~Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople, Ioannes VIII Xiphilinos

It is my utmost honor, in the capacity of Basilissa of the Roman Empire and Mother, to announce the arranged union of the honorable Doux Nikephoros Botaneiates of Athens and my lovely daughter, Princess Zoe Doukaina in Holy Matrimony. The Doux has always been a true Roman, upholding the proper image of our Empire in leadership and military prowess. Along with his newfound titles, and past accomplishments, he is a absolute perfect match for my beautiful daughter. Words cannot adequately express the joy at extending a motherly hand to include another member into my extended family, and seeing my daughter find a suitable Roman man.

May God bless this glorious bond between the houses Doukas and Botaneiates forevermore!

- Basilissa Eudokia Makrembolitissa of the Roman Empire