• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Hootieleece

Field Marshal
105 Badges
Dec 21, 2002
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Pride of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Divine Wind
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
I am playing my First HOD game. USA 1836. I think that it is TOO easy to create states. I am often able to create States with less than 10K population. Because I have the 1% Bureaucrats in the territory. I think that there should be a second condition say 100K of Accepted Culture Pops in Territory. The Prestige Bonus alone makes me want to create all possible States. (I am holding off on the Dakotas, Montana, Wyoming, and Idaho. After I found out)

The other problem is that ALL territory taken from Mexico becomes States automatically because of the cores. Which for ease of Gameplay and as Game mechanic , I can accept.

Also What is the Difference between Protectorates and Colony's. Other than being steps on the Road to Statehood.

I think my second condition for statehood might slowdown British India also......

For most countries other than the USA creating states takes quite a lot of effort. The main reason it is so easy for them is because of the assimilation bonus they get for being in America, while in addition there are no cores for an "American Native Minor" or "Dakota" nation until you get the Apache and Sioux War events, and those come so late that they have already assimilated to Yankee or Dixie. Thus, it is incredibly easy for them to get the required 1%. However, getting that 1% anywhere outside America is fairly difficult.

Long story short, the game is set up so that the US can easily create the 50 states, but no others.

The difference between a Protectorate and a Colony is just a small tax penalty, and the maintenance in CP is lower. Usually you can convert to a Colony instantly anyway, so I don't see much point in having them.