• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

bean1

Major
18 Badges
Jun 3, 2009
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
I'm currently playing as France and have already been through one crisis (which I did not join as to leave me out of the ensuing war), and found myself having to 'be on the fence' over another crisis w/ the alternative being a loss of prestige.

Currently the two contending sides, Austria (the crisis having been caused by the Hungarian independence movement) and the U.K. are backed by two opposing great powers including myself as France.

How do I resolve the crisis peacefully and avoid a full scale war?

Any pointers?

Update: I recently got an event detailing the fate of Hungary, wherein it says that my ambassador (drunk, apparently) basically sabre-rattled and I was given a choice between staying beside my ally Austria (which would greatly increase the crisis temperature) or backing down (at the cost of some prestige)

I chose to stick beside my ally and now war has broke out between the U.K, The Ottoman Empire, the North German Federation, Austria, and France.

So what I've gathered from this is crisis can be avoided and/or resolved through event which seem to trigger during the crisis. So is it not possible to resolve the situation in-game without an event?

From what I know there's not much you can do to solve it peacefully if you are not one of the crisis leaders. The AI will rarely white peace if it thinks it got a chance to win the coming war, so it's not much you can do really as just a participant. You could convince other great powers to join your side if they are allied with you, which will make them more likely to join your side, but beyond that I don't know what you could do.

Edit: That event just increases the Crisis Temperature. Eventually the temperature will reach 100 if no one backs out (with or without any events), and war will break out.

As far as I'm aware, there's really only 1 way to resolve a crisis peacefully: Have a far bigger military.

Naturally, this takes into account the entire side of a crisis.

If you manage to get a truly massive military ( such as being or controlling all of China ), you can become a huge crisis powerhouse. In a recent game where I took over China and was the number 1 great power, I could just pick a side and immediately propose a solution they would accept. Naturally, I was always joining the side trying to break away. So, for example, I joined Poland-Lithuania against Russia. The crisis didn't even go on for one day. Russia looked at my military, cried, and let PL go:)

You should also be aware that if you get a sizable infamy, everyone will back the person opposite of what you choose. If you can't fight them off, but have high infamy, always join in after everyone else has chosen a side.

I made the mistake of siding against Britain, and will have to go back and side with Britain instead. Its army is to big to defeat on land (while I also have to deal with the North German Federation if I oppose Britain) while its navy is more or less unchallengeable and Britain immediately started sending troops across the English Channel into France.

Its kind of annoying that if I don't choose a side (and simply decide to 'stay on the fence') I gain a massive prestige hit. And due to my military being inferior, I can't really propose an automatic solution.

Strange that as France you would have trouble with UK. It's ok though, a couple more playthroughs and you will easily be able to deal with the paper tiger. :)

Remember this: A crisis will only go to war when it hits 100. You don't have to join right away. So if you happen to be caught at a bad time, you can just wait for all the other powers to join then join the side that you are sure will win (with you tipping the balance). Usually in the early game they will white peace (I see a lot of white peaces) but eventually there will be a tipping point of either surrender or fighting. I like to let the chips fall and ensure that I'm on top. ^____^

As France IMO you should try to ally with Russia, not Austria. Austria is... lackluster unless you really beat down the other powers in their favor.

I have just been completely unable to get people to back my side by promising territory. I'm not sure if it's because they don't think I can win, or they don't want extra territory.

I'm no master of the crisis system or inner workings of the AI but they are usually not interested in territory grabs unless it's "like" a core (eg alsace lorraine). A lot of times they are more interested in a cut-down-to-size or humiliate goal. And they have to not like the opposition and like you. If you have a lot of infamy as well, they don't like you.

Personally, I always look at the tooltip to see who the other powers are favoring. Usually one of them has more friends than the others, and that leads to a one-sided conflict. There are a few exceptions.

I think a part of the problem is the incentive system. I get why the crisis leader should take an infamy hit for adding a CB, but it'd probably be better if it was split with the nation you're offering it to. So if I'm trying to free Thessaly from the Turks and Russia is their backer (had this happen a few times), and I offer a liberation of Armenia to France (Armenia will then be in France's sphere) I should split that 11 infamy with France. My experience is that the AI will join you (most of the time) if you offer them things, but I don't see the logic in taking on all of the blame and I think it can cripple a GP's ambitions. They're wasting infamy on a crisis instead of a conquest.

I have just been completely unable to get people to back my side by promising territory. I'm not sure if it's because they don't think I can win, or they don't want extra territory.

Try hovering over them in the crisis window, the tooltip will tell you why they want to side with whichever side they will eventually choose. I think it's pretty much always political. They will still gladly join a side that has little chance of winning. However, then the only thing they see is military score, and might try to peace out at that point.

Remember though for that second part it is military score, not military power.

I'm currently playing as France and have already been through one crisis (which I did not join as to leave me out of the ensuing war), and found myself having to 'be on the fence' over another crisis w/ the alternative being a loss of prestige.

Currently the two contending sides, Austria (the crisis having been caused by the Hungarian independence movement) and the U.K. are backed by two opposing great powers including myself as France.

How do I resolve the crisis peacefully and avoid a full scale war?

Any pointers?

Basically what matters for getting what you want without war is basically having the side with the largest military score. If you have lots, you win - a 3 to 2 ratio or more is enough.

Political considerations is bascially who they hate and who they love. So, for example if as UK you fought Russia before they will hate you and be extremelly tough to get on your side. Also, if GPs fought a war before, if you get one on your side the other will seldom join you (example, NGF and Russia fought a war - again if you put NGF on your side Russia will hate you).

So long as one side is much larger than the other, the smaller side will almost always back down. The AI seems (have heard a few other people mention this too) to make sure that crisis' are balanced. If France joins one side, England joins the other. Prussia joins one, Austria joins the other, that kind of thing. When they have similiar interests they might band together, but then everyone else will be against them to balance it. I have watched the AI ignore alliances more than once when it came to joining sides in a crisis when one side started getting unbalanced.
I actually will force the AI to join certain sides sometimes, just to keep their silly alliances intact and prevent Europe descending into 20 years of endless wars as all alliances break down.

AFAIK: You can bribe AI on your side only if they already want something from the opposing crisis force.
At start there are some already existing situations that can be exploited: Prussia/Germany wants Hamburg territory from England and, of course, Rheineland from France, the same applies in reverse. Just watch where the cores are and most of the time you can predict what to offer to who (and take all the infamy penalties).
Relation and faction composition are other strong factors: in my game No one wanted to free Poland if the offer was made by USA, some years later everyone backed the exact same request from UK. Starting allies count too: France and Russia are, most of the time, a common force ready to gang on Prussia. UK acts more erratically and Italy, once a GP, can be easily on your side if you promise them their Austrian/ottoman cores.
Political considerations are taken in account even for you own negative reaction (want the UK on your side? Lower relaction with France and Prussia), you simply cannot be friend with anyone.

Crisis are a complex mechanic, and part of their fun are their difficult player exploitation.

Why white peace? be leader in crisis war and hope that it goes into great war, win the war and grab all the land u can. personally, i like to ally either with (france and russia) or with germany for any great war. UK troops are useless and usually stuck in their home country.

Does the AI ever offer you a wargoal as incentive to join its side when it is leading a side? Have not seen that yet, I think. But then, I haven't played very much of HoD yet.

I never got such an offer, but it might happen. After all, the defender side usually has some added CB. It´s just that they haven´t offered to you or you picked side too early.