• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(721311)

Private
5 Badges
Apr 3, 2013
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • March of the Eagles
  • Semper Fi
Alright...

I managed to have a truce with Britain... in order to regroup all my fleets and organise a drop on London. I also wanted to drop my 'War Exhaustion' debuff.... in order to exploit the full potential of France. Obviously, I also requested expeditionary forces from all my Satellites (Naples, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Denmark) and I had OVER 120 FREAKING SHIPS total (excluding transports) ...................... A good chunk of my army was loaded inside the transports... around 200,000 soldiers.... As soon as I clicked 'Declare War' ... in ONE FREAKING SECOND... Britain showed up with 14 ships... and VIOLATED, RAPED, DESTROYED... my whole fleet. (Well, actually, I lost 3 battle ships and half of my transports.) What I am asking now is: Who coded or decided to make GBR that freakishly OP?

I want the name, adress and phone number of the dude that was in charge of balancing Britain in Mote. -_-

edited for language by safferli

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like something that would happen in actual history though. Call it whatever you want but it's crazy how many invasions they've thwarted, I was just reading a history of the Seven Years War not long ago, they're always getting to the enemy European fleet right on time and totally unexpectedly, totally devastating them. :p I'm sure a lot of that was chance but they certainly come off as OP if you look at their record. Sounds like you just got your own Battle of Quiberon Bay. :)

A weirder WTF moment for me was playing as Austria and staying neutral in the whole Napoleonic coalition situation and eventually getting to a point where France and Britain were at peace, if not collaborating against poor people like Denmark. I wonder if that tends to happen a lot, it's not a fun thing to see the British and French not hating each other. I think poor Denmark actually made enemies of both of them or something.

edited for language by safferli

Last edited by a moderator:
Stop raging and cursing. It's broken currently. And how are 3 battleships a lot if you have 120 ships?

Guys/gals, please watch your language and posting tone!

Please take a deep breath and re-read your posts before hitting the "post" button. I know Paradox games can be frustrating at times, but please keep a modicum of decorum when posting here. Thanks! :)

In all PDS games Big Ships kill all others Ships.......even is smaller ships are tech ahead....and Britain probably has a bunch of Bonuses for being "Naval Dominant".

With current system more ships - higher penalty. So even with 200 ships against 14 you can still lose...

And don't tell about history power of british navy in history. I never read about winning battles with 1:10 ratio many times in one war.

Well that sounds like bs, what if D-day was stopped by 14 German ships vs the might of the allied navy and thousands of transports...

If you were Britain and you saw the French fleet massing across the channel, complete with troop transports, would you ignore it?

You would be better served to use your warships as screens in adjacent sea zones so the transports can unload unmolested.

Logic:
120 Ships vs 14 Ships = Ouch

No matter how I see it.... even if they had bonuses that would multiply their strength by 8.6 times.... it should have still been a Draw...... Even modern or in medieval history, I have never heard of a naval battle - like this one - to unfold the same way. I know we are in a game, but there should be a limit to irrealism.

Devs should give us option to send ships with "kamikaze" option. Maybe there GB will be defeated...
5 lost ships for you, and one for british , I think it is good and realistic idea:)

I have found it literally impossible to invade Great Britain as France. I currently have Naval Dominance. However 10 ships will consistently defeat my 160 ship naval armada. The game is currently broken. I have resorted to diving into the scripts to see if I can find exactly what is going on and balance the game myself if I can. I am hoping this is possible and not a waste of time. The only time I won one a naval battle is when I attack a single ship.

This should be considered a bug.

Here's the answer that the game developers will give you:
'Mod it yourself if you are not satisfied... '

Anyways,

Did you guys also realise how 'WTF LOL?!' the AI is when you decide to move one of your fleets? I mean... AS SOON AS IT LEAVES A PORT... out of FREAKING NOWHERE... an armada is dispatched and arrives in a matter of seconds. Dude... they had satelite communications and nuclear propelled battleships in the 19th century? xD

Had the same WTF moment had no other country to attack but GBR and a needed a naval provinces from them and I would win the game. But then unfortunately 6 british ships attacked my navy of 22 and then navy retreated to Boulogne and then I flipped. The worst thing was I had 109,000 on those ships and then when they get back from the massacre there to 60,000 dead and 3 generals dead. Once I realized that I uninstalled it than reinstalled a couple of days later to install a mod. The developers really need to do something about GBR's opness.

Why in gods name are you massing a fleet that big in one place?

The same reason the Spanish did, but of course like me they lost there entire fleet. After not winning battles where I outnumber ships 2:1, I decided to try outnumbering 10:1 with pretty much the exact same results.

At least the Spanish Armada was mostly taken out but rough seas, mine are getting taken out by single ships with no admiral.

Edit:
Actually no, last battle was 160 ships versus 10 ships, outnumbering 16:1. I lost a ship and they took a ship, if he weren't my best admiral I would have him executed (IE send him on a single transport ship to London).

Last edited:
I'm thinking, and that's only if you're playing in a single player mode, that it's a matter of adjusting morale effects for naval and land dominance in the static modifiers text file. At default they're listed as .25. Maybe lowering it to .10 or less may downplay the GBR dominance at sea? I know it won't work in a multiplayer game, but maybe it's a step in the right direction toward a better SP experience??

A little help from the more experienced players and modders would be appreciated.

120 ships in one sea province will be quite tightly together so not all ships would be able to fire at once, some not at all. So it kind of makes sense that they wouldn't do so well, all the British have to do is position correctly and fire their cannons into the big mass of ships. That's at least how other paradox games represent navies with a stacking penalty.