• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Ok but if I understand correctly this shows average living expectancy only in matter of Britain, and only between XIII to XV centruy (talking about medieval times). And its based on assumption that this male aristocracy member survives his first 21 years (correct me if im wrong).

What about other parts of europe / asia / africa, earlier part of medieval times (IX, X, XI, XII century), and what about true average life expectancy, when u dont automatically assume that feudals will survive first 21 years of their life?

They can lower life expectancy, they can increase death rate. But it drives me nuts that the people still die of "natural causes" suddenly in their 20s in this game. If you want people in their 20s to die suddenly, change the cause to "accident" please. Seriously, what is this "natural causes" where you die suddenly with no symptoms?

But you do expect them to survive the first ~21 years of their life.

Paradox reduced fertility and increased infant survival rate and that's all WAD.
But otherwise you would get thousands of dead babies cluttering up your game

They can lower life expectancy, they can increase death rate. But it drives me nuts that the people still die of "natural causes" suddenly in their 20s in this game. If you want people in their 20s to die suddenly, change the cause to "accident" please. Seriously, what is this "natural causes" where you die suddenly with no symptoms?

I understand it to be an undiagnosed health condition that hits you suddenly. This things happen in RL. But yeah, it should be extremely rare. Personally, I modded "natural death" per decade so it happens mostly at ages 0-10 and then after 50, with very lows numbers for the years inbetween.

Yeah, CK1 was more accurate in this game. Infant mortality was really high, but if you made it through childhood, you're odds of making it to 40 or so were pretty good. Our bodies don't really start to go downhill until we're old enough to have raised children to adulthood--it's evolution. For nobility, most deaths between 15 and 45 would have been warfare related or maternal mortality.

I don't understand why they can't just run a check for children that died before age 5 and delete them unless they held titles to get rid of the excess dead characters problem.

I understand it to be an undiagnosed health condition that hits you suddenly. This things happen in RL. But yeah, it should be extremely rare. Personally, I modded "natural death" per decade so it happens mostly at ages 0-10 and then after 50, with very lows numbers for the years inbetween.

Exactly! My rulers and heirs have been dying at 20, 21, 26, 28 and this is within the first 100 years of gameplay. I know I complain about this a lot, but I'm just flabbergasted. So where do you mod natural death?

I certainly second the opinions about CK1 having a more realistic death rate. That may well be the only aspect which has not been improved upon in this second installment. Besides, are there any deaths in childbirth AT ALL? I don't seem to recall ever having a female die when giving birth - which after all would have formed a huge percentage during the period in question.

Last edited:
I like how they sometimes die in their thirties, as the expected lifespan wasn´t as the modern day. Currently I´m tweaking childbirth and childhealth, many more children and so far, only half of them survive to see his 2 year, after that it get slightly better. But it´s actually fun having that many deaths. Makes you always keep a backup heir ;-)
well people does not have a ton of children so I guess that balances it out, pretend that you're having a lot of stillborn kids/die young kids, but the game doesn't show them, instead people have fewer kids (im sorry for my terrible english)

The thing is with RNG and all the other factors that contribute to be a dead ruler in your mid 20' if the increased natural mortality would just lead to playing an endless game of succession, yeah its likely that is how it historically happened, But honestly none wants to play that game, its one thing to fight 2-3 civil wars per century and another to fight upwards of 10, not to mention that it will most likely mean that no house survives having any kind of power at any point.

Exactly! My rulers and heirs have been dying at 20, 21, 26, 28 and this is within the first 100 years of gameplay. I know I complain about this a lot, but I'm just flabbergasted. So where do you mod natural death?

defines.lua and search for natural_death_chance

I once had a game where my rulers did younger and younger. My first king became 80, my last king did not even experience his 7th birthday (his dynasty died out with him and I lost :p). That was frustrating.

BTW, I think there was a 15th century German count who ruled for about 90 years.

"Only the good die young." Therefore, simply just get the cruel trait, and you'll be fine.

I don't know about natural death, but my rulers keep getting wiped out by diseases. I had 6 rulers die in a few months when Typhus and Consumption broke out in my capital at the same time. So..yeah.

Next challenge, play the whole game since the earliest start date to the end with one Character!

And as a second condition, your culture must be Scottish...or possibly Frankish with Scottish graphical culture.

_1253676055.jpg

Thanks for all you comments, and what I have to say about too many old people in game, well my last guy lived to his 50s, before dying and leaving the throne to my 20 year old guy, who was conspired to death. (Everyone was plotting against me, and I managed to escape all but one attempt, the last one.)

is there a maximum age?
Yep. Take the total span of the game (586 years). Now add 50. The maximum possible age of a Ruler Designered character is 636 years, achieved by doing everything possible to dump every possible point into health. By 64 health, it is completely plausible to have a character survive from 867 to 1453. This is also the greatest theoretically possible age in the game without cheating to also make yourself obscenely old or taking a character who is already older than 50 at the 867 start and giving them loads of health via save file editing.