• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

EUTony

Major
37 Badges
Nov 22, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • War of the Roses
  • Victoria 2
I just bought the base game, AHD, and HoD for $50 two days ago. It goes on sale today in Steam(with the rest of paradox stuff) for $25. Is there any way I could be reimbursed? Don't get me wrong, I love Paradox, but I really feel pretty low down right now. That's $25 I was going to devote to preordering EU4! :(

It would really be nice if Steam or Paradox could inform us of upcoming sales with a little advance so things like this don't happen.

Last edited:
Yeah, I put up a Steam support thing. Hopefully I can get $25 in my Steam Wallet to put towards EU4.

I don't see how that's ever gonna happen honestly. If they start refunding people because of missed promotional offers what's the point of promotional offers at all? Keep us updated on your progress though, I'd love to be proved wrong.

I don't see how that's ever gonna happen honestly. If they start refunding people because of missed promotional offers what's the point of promotional offers at all? Keep us updated on your progress though, I'd love to be proved wrong.

It would have been nice to have a heads up on the sale, that's really what I'm disappointed about. I'll keep you updated.

Thanks for letting me know there's a sale going on. Just got HoD and waiting pays off, literally.

Way to rub it in. lol This was largely an impulse buy on my part. I had $50 lying around and had never played a Victoria game so I decided to purchase it. If I had known about a sale in less than two days, I would have waited and saved $25 to go towards EU4. :p

Not much you can do to change that. All you can do is learn from this mistake so next time you wouldn't repeat it. It's only 25 bucks too, just think that in the future, your extra care & patience that you learned from this now would give you a net benefit for money saved.

It's called price discrimination. If you didn't value the purchase of the game at $50, then you would've waited for a sale to give you a cheaper option. Steam wants everyone who is willing to pay $50 to pay that $50 to fatten their profits (and those of the publishers that distribute through them), so they are unlikely to announce an upcoming sale which is only intended to pull in the people willing to pay $25-$49, not $50+.

Tough luck but I doubt you will get a reimbursement. I mean the sales are supposed to be surprises to reward people who check steam regularly so advertising them in advance would just increase the amount of people who take advantage of the sale. Plus it's not like they really have to have these massive sales at all so a developer offering half off of multiple big title games and DLC is a pretty big gift by itself. Esspecially giving the large amount of DLC for games like Crusader Kings.

Two days ago you valued the game at $50, now you do not? What has changed?
In any case, if you bought it on Steam they are the ones you should be contacting as Paradox has no say in how Steam does business.

Reactions:
Two days ago you valued the game at $50, now you do not? What has changed?
In any case, if you bought it on Steam they are the ones you should be contacting as Paradox has no say in how Steam does business.

It was an impulse buy, I had $50 left over as a gift and figured I should try out Vicky 2.

ALWAYS WAIT FOR SALES! I understand impulse buys with found money, I make em too; but I always look for the sales! Companies can not be expected to give people money back on something just cause they bought it a day before a sale. With Steam they don't really ever say what upcoming sales are, but they have new ones every week. Same with Gamersgate and other similiar sights. I picked up Vicky 2 and AHD for a total of $7 by biding my time and being patient.

Generally my rule is that I NEVER EVER buy a game for full price. Within 2-3 months of being released most games will go on sale, even if only 10%, it depends on how well it sold. If it sold poorly expect the price to drop more rapidly and/or it will get good sales. If it sold well the full price will stick around for a while longer and the sales won't be as spectacular. I tend to only ever pay full price for expantions as obviously those are wanted right away, as its an addtion to a game I already have as opposed to waiting for one I don't have yet. Although there are always exceptions (Skyrim, Starcraft 2 last two I bought brand new full price).

Shit $50 could knock like 8 things off my Steam wishlist during various sales.