• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(755107)

Recruit
15 Badges
Jun 19, 2013
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • East India Company Collection
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Gettysburg
  • King Arthur II
  • Lead and Gold
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Pirates of Black Cove
  • Rome Gold
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
Sorry if this has been asked before, but is Mount and Blade and/or any of the DLCs good for a singleplayer experience? I know that Mount and Blade is primarily a MP game, but I don't tend to get much into MP focused games, but have come close to picking this one up and this might just tip the scale.

I play M&B Warband only in single player and without mayor mods (only a fixes/improvements) and having a blast. Highly recommended!

Hi all,

I am a HOI3, CKII player and tried to be a Victoria II player (I failed horribly but continue to try at times) and I would like to try something new so I was looking at M&B.
I just now logged on to asked the same question, "...is Mount and Blade and/or any of the DLCs good for a singleplayer experience?" and I want to thank all of you for answering and convincing me to purchase it. I will purchase M&B Warband this evening. I have a few more questions if you have time:

1. What mods do you recommend?

2. What DLC do you recommend?

Regards,
Rick

For 1: I started out playing with Diplomacy-mod (http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?board=176.0). It has some nice features in it while it keeps the original game intact. Recently i started playing with the Native Expansion-mod (http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?board=109.0), and i'm really blown away with all the added things in it. There are quite a few other mods around, so check the Taleworlds Forum for that.

For 2: Personally i havn't expanded my horizon outside Warband. I don't have the Napoleonic Wars for warband and With Fire and Sword didn't quite gave the same impression as Warband. Also from what i know, but maybe that has been fixed, is that in WFaS it was way too easy to get money on the silk routes and thus making the game too imbalanced. But as stated it may be fixed or some mod altered it, i really don't know.

Edit: If you gonna play Warband also make use of TweakMB. This little program changes stuff ingame like cattle following you, instead of you trying to drive them into the direction you want(originally cattle would "run" away from you) or things like the amount of bandit parties running around, the seizes of those gangs etc. I really recommend this. http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=101731.0

Dathon, Thanks! I am downloading it now. - Rick

To add to what Dathon said, you should probably download the Diplomacy mod and start it playing with that instead of Native; it expands... well, the diplomatic functions of running your own realm and otherwise interacting with other lords in a logical way that should have been implemented originally.

Other mods to think about; there is a pretty good Game of Thrones mod released (A Clash of Kings), a very tough but rewarding mod called Prophesy of Pendor (this is a good mod to use after you get good at vanilla), and a few interesting Europe mods (one that I've been following is Blue Blood, which changes the troop recruitment system). There is a huge variety though, and I'd recommend going over to the Taleworlds forum to take a look.

DLC wise, you need nothing except Mount & Blade Warband. The original Mount & Blade is not really much different other than lacking features (it possibly has a few mods that you may be interested in), while Napoleonic Wars is Multiplayer Only. With Fire and Sword similarly brings guns to a singleplayer campaign, which takes place in Europe. However, it is not highly regarded, and has received little developer support.