+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods - Post Mortem Ramblings

Game Director Paradox Dev Team Doomdark's Avatar

Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods - Post Mortem Ramblings

The Old Gods has been out for a while now and hopefully you are all enjoying it. We always knew this expansion would be a bit more ambitious than the previous ones - the theme deserves it - so it got a higher budget and more development time. I think it paid off, although it did mean we had to tackle some potentially dangerous risk factors. For example, the new tech system required some fundamental rebalancing of the game and the 867 bookmark took a lot of effort to research and balance (a special thanks to our beta testers and research group!) I am pleased that we overcame those challenges and accomplished our main objectives.

As usual, however, there were a few things we had to leave undone. (This is normal; I always like to have a list of optional features planned in case we have time to squeeze them in.) I had hoped to get diplomatic options in where you could pay protection money to attacking heathens or settle them as vassals (like what happened with Normandy). I also wanted to do something about the Magyars keeping their counties in the Ukraine even after settling in Hungary, but couldn't figure out a good and feasible nomad system in general (the basic game mechanics just do not fit nomadic tribes at all.) However, I still intend to tweak the formation of Hungary event to solve that specific issue at some future point. So, some features got pushed forward to the next patch level (e.g. an automatic plot invitation system), but many of the optional features from the design actually did make it into The Old Gods. For example, many of the Zoroastrian features; Xwedodah marriages, the Saoshyant decision, etc.

Playing the game now, I'm still having a blast. As a pagan ruler, I love to "collect" members of prominent dynasties from all over Europe, convert them, and preserve their dynasties as proper worshippers of the old gods, given land in some corner of my empire. I also love setting challenges for myself. In my last game, as Haesteinn of Nantes, I took over Asturias with a prepared invasion, got a Zoroastrian concubine and converted to her religion in order to get proper succession laws and access to the Holy War CB. Unfortunately, both the Umayyads and West Francia were at that point remarkably stable and decided to jump me, and, to add insult to injury, the other Karlings also decided to join in. Even my mad developer skills could not save me at that point... In other words, tremendous fun! However, it's the developer's curse when playing their own games to constantly add things both big and small to an evergrowing TODO list. (This is good news for you, however, since it means the game will most definitely keep evolving and changing for the better!)

There isn't really much more to say about the development of The Old Gods. From my perspective, it was a smooth and fairly uneventful (in a good way) process. The future will certainly bring more improvements to the game; some of which you can probably see coming, others, I think, will be more surprising. We also have something special planned for August; two smaller DLCs (and no, they are not portrait or unit packs...)

Well, that's it for now. Midsummer is coming up and I hope you will all remember to give the Old Gods a toast! (But take it easy with the human sacrifice, ok?)
    Henrik Fåhraeus

Abusus non tollit usum

Myself
    Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesHearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis: Rome

Tw DLC in one month? I wonder what that could mean. Are they related somehow, but not enough to make one DLC?

Oh, and a question re. the new tech system. Is it WAD that Italy is now the most advanced part of the map in 1066?
    Sit now there, and look out upon the lands where evil and despair shall come to those whom thou allied. Thou hast dared to mock me, and to question the power of France, master of the fates of Europe. Therefore with my explorers thou shalt see, and with my spies thou shalt hear; and never shall thou be released from vassalage until all is fulfilled unto its bitter end.

Committed Anti-P'doxian Sleight of Hand's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIMarch of the Eagles
    Victoria 2CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Haven't bought it yet, but I'm enjoying the changes to the standard scenarios and the various bug fixes. Many thanks for letting me help out, and I look forward to future DLCs.

Please keep improving the other scenarios!
    For awesome CK II graphical stuff please click here and here.

I'm currently working on my own set of semi-historical scenarios for CK II. ETA: Q1 '15.

Quote Originally Posted by Doomdark View Post
    We also have something special planned for August; two smaller DLCs (and no, they are not portrait or unit packs...)
    But we'll be playing Europa Universalis 4 in August... so, July maybe?

Cities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMagickaMarch of the Eagles
    Rome GoldSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    War of the Roses500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
    Crusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne
    EUIV: Art of War

I love the Old Gods. And I look forward to seeing what you'll do next

(Although, more portrait and unit packs are also very welcome)
    My Mods:
    The Four Nations - An Avatar: The Last Airbender Mod (CK2) Coming Soon
    ------
    If you don’t like ponies then you could always crush them under the talons of the mighty Griffin Empire! – My Little Crusader Ponies coming soon
    – 2D Cartographer, idea and PR guy

Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
    Crusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India
    Crusader Kings II: CharlemagneEUIV: Art of War

Blog Entries
    With the latest patch bringing better balance to Norsemen, I'd say ToG was by and large a good and successful DLC. It added something that the community had been asking for since the game was released, and it added unique vibes to each Pagan religion and also Zoroastrians (which were very well done IMO, they are very fun to play). The new start date is nice too.
    Mod:
    Byzantium - Imperial Restoration for Darkest Hour
    Wilhelm Scream for Crusader Kings II

§1 - Posts made by this user are subject to intense editing shortly after posting... Hooray for indecisiveness!

Committed Anti-P'doxian Sleight of Hand's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIMarch of the Eagles
    Victoria 2CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Quote Originally Posted by I Killed Kenny View Post
    Zombie dlc!
    The Crusading Dead.
    For awesome CK II graphical stuff please click here and here.

I'm currently working on my own set of semi-historical scenarios for CK II. ETA: Q1 '15.

TOG has been the best DLC so far IMO..
    It can clearly be seen that there has been put some time and money in this one, really appreciated that you take your time to make it good, instead of just making it fast, in order to make faster money!

And great to hear that you will keep working to improve - that is one of the things that make CK2 one of the best games I have tried so far...
    Thanks for your hard and welldone work...

Quote Originally Posted by I Killed Kenny View Post
    Zombie dlc!
    I'd prefer Fairy (Islands) vs. Secret Bears DLC

A Game of DwarvesCrusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindGettysburg
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneKing Arthur IIMagickaMajesty II Collection
    March of the EaglesRome GoldSemper FiSengokuSupreme Ruler: Cold War
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    Teleglitch: Die More EditionEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
    Crusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
    Crusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

The Old Gods was definitely an incredible DLC, and provides so many interesting gameplay opportunities.

Looking forward to whatever DLC comes next!

Bleeding for Harder Styles Arko's Avatar
    Cities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDeus VultHeir to the ThroneMagicka
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

Quote Originally Posted by stilgarpl View Post
    But we'll be playing Europa Universalis 4 in August... so, July maybe?
    Real crusaders don't deflect from their holy quest !
    membre du Réseau Gamers et Stratégie, tout sur CK2&EU4 en français

Les 3 Tours / The 3 Towers : economy, cathedrals and everything for a real medieval flavour -NEW-
    ARKOpack Armoiries & Interface : a CoA and Interface mod
    La Pléiade : Europa universalis IV (vraiment) en français !
    Member of H.I.P : Historical Immersion Project

Mini MODs is the answer !

Pet Dane Paradox Dev Team Groogy's Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIEast India Company CollectionEU3 CompleteFor The Glory
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneLead and GoldThe Kings CrusadeMagicka
    Majesty 2Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 Gold
    Victoria 2Mount & Blade: Warband500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaAncient SpaceCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
    Crusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India
    Crusader Kings II: CharlemagneEUIV: Art of WarParadoxian Order - 2015Crusader Kings II: Way of Life

Quote Originally Posted by balmung60 View Post
    I'd prefer Fairy (Islands) vs. Secret Bears DLC
    <3

I will do my best to pitch this.
    That'd be Groogy. He's kinda like the King Joffrey of these forums, toying with us for his own sick amusement. - DominusNovus
    The Groogy is an elusive and magical creature. You do not find the Groogy, the Groogy finds you. - Enlil
    I thought he was just created in a lab - Viking

Quote Originally Posted by Arko View Post
    Real crusaders don't deflect from their holy quest !
    We don't. But it's the Quest for the New World!

Bleeding for Harder Styles Arko's Avatar
    Cities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDeus VultHeir to the ThroneMagicka
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

Quote Originally Posted by stilgarpl View Post
    We don't. But it's the Quest for the New World!
    New world and all that is overated. Let's free the Kingdom of Heavens !
    membre du Réseau Gamers et Stratégie, tout sur CK2&EU4 en français

Les 3 Tours / The 3 Towers : economy, cathedrals and everything for a real medieval flavour -NEW-
    ARKOpack Armoiries & Interface : a CoA and Interface mod
    La Pléiade : Europa universalis IV (vraiment) en français !
    Member of H.I.P : Historical Immersion Project

Mini MODs is the answer !

Please give us Crusader Kings Z!!! We need more alternate history DLCs and scenarios. There are people who really want these so if they wouldn't be like too pricey those who wanted them could buy them and those who complain can just leave them be.

Quote Originally Posted by Doomdark View Post
    We also have something special planned for August; two smaller DLCs (and no, they are not portrait or unit packs...)
    Music, then?

Perhaps one ahistorical and one historical one? Like, Crusader Kings Z and Holy Roman mechanics?

I think, too, that The Old Gods has been the best DLC so far. Even the Sword of Islam wasnt better, cause the Pagans system is very well balanced, while the decadence system has always been a bit controversial.

I hope, that the game will see an improved vassal-ruler relationship as it was suggested in lots of the HRE threads.

mabe one of these dlc's is the hinted ck 2 eu 4 converter ?
    if you want peace prepare for war

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast