• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

mustachewarfare

Captain
53 Badges
Nov 22, 2011
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Sengoku
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • March of the Eagles
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Pride of Nations
  • 500k Club
  • War of the Roses
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2
  • Magicka
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
I am just wondering if any body uses Ostend Manifesto decision. Yeah you gain core to Cuba and you gain infamy that is lower than what you would gain as maximum infamy from "Place in the sun" CB but your relationship with all other Great Power drops by 150. Also it is the maximum infamy that is higher than the infamy from Ostend Manifesto so it may be possible that the difference in infamy gain would be smaller.

Wouldn't it be better (under the assumption that USA wants Cuba) to just use "Place in the sun" Justify War option? Or is there some other benefit from this decision that I am not aware of?

Free cores are never a bad thing. Plus, the only GPs you need to keep happy are the UK, France (Statue of Liberty) and Russia (Alaska Purchase) and it's not hard to work your way back into their good books.

I've never gone late game but do you really need to keep the UK happy? We all know the woes of AI naval invasions and their Canadian garrisons are easily toppled. I've never been blockaded in a war either.

EDIT: Maybe I'm just a noob but I don't see a point to getting a couple otherwise useless provinces for a lot of downside. Is Tobacco really worth it? :p

You need to keep the UK happy because the UK hates making peace. They'll stay at war for years, even if you have all of Canada occupied, which will be a big strain on your budget and economy.

Playing US I always select it. By the time it comes around you are either about to or have just fought your Mexican war, and unless you are trying to woo a European power into an alliance for foreign adventures, there's no real downside to doing it. You really can't exercise it by grabbing Cuba though since Spain is usually sphered by another great power or a great power by then, but it gives you a free no infamy state in the later game when you are strong enough to grab it. The relations hit you can overcome later through expending diplo points if you want, or just wait and the relations will rise naturally on their own eventually.

I've never gone late game but do you really need to keep the UK happy? We all know the woes of AI naval invasions and their Canadian garrisons are easily toppled. I've never been blockaded in a war either.

EDIT: Maybe I'm just a noob but I don't see a point to getting a couple otherwise useless provinces for a lot of downside. Is Tobacco really worth it? :p

Cuba is quite useful. I got it sometimes around 1865 after ACW. It turned state fast. By end game, it has more than 1m pop. It also provides the same navy throughput amount as if it is a home port, even though can't build capital ship from its port. As to whether to get it by Ostend Manifest or just regular place under the sun cb, it is up to you.

Another colony I highly recommend is Caribbean Islands. It has a big ass sulphur mine.

Playing US I always select it. By the time it comes around you are either about to or have just fought your Mexican war, and unless you are trying to woo a European power into an alliance for foreign adventures, there's no real downside to doing it. You really can't exercise it by grabbing Cuba though since Spain is usually sphered by another great power or a great power by then, but it gives you a free no infamy state in the later game when you are strong enough to grab it. The relations hit you can overcome later through expending diplo points if you want, or just wait and the relations will rise naturally on their own eventually.

really? it says it gives infamy (like 4.0) according to the decision in the game.

Taking infamy in the early game usually isn't so bad since you're focused on taking states from Mexico and improving the economy. Late game infamy is much more likely to be a factor. So even if you don't attack Spain right away, take the infamy hit to get the cores so you have a free CB for whenever you want it.

I never used to take this, but I push to get this ASAP and hit Spain whilst it is still a GP, it normally is outisde the GP alliances and you can easily occupy and then fight off any Spainish attacks.

Free land should always bee taken especially when America has to maintain control over the entire Americas.

It has two advantages over just justifying a war. One, it allows you to justify a CB on Puerto Rico instead allowing you to take both in one war with a minimum of infamy. Two you get cores on Cuba not just a CB. And really who cares what the other GPs think of you?

If you're concerned about the hit to relations, I wouldn't worry about it at all. I always take the decision and end up with a GP ally within a couple of years anyways.

Cuba resources are bad, but it´s nice for roleplaying purposes.

What you SHOULD take from Spain is Fernando Po, which is a nice place to start colonizing Africa. You need tropical wood and rubber. So, use Place in the Sun CB to grab it, then add Cuba as wargoal.

Or if you have infamy to spare take all of their colonial possessions, the Philippines are nice to have

Or if you have infamy to spare take all of their colonial possessions, the Philippines are nice to have

Yeah, definitely on the Philippines! It's a very nice launch pad for taking SEAsia and launching attacks against Austrialia and even India(though that's stretching it a bit). I was planning on this in my USA AHD game before Confederate and Anarcho-Liberal Rebels well and truly raped me. Over 2/3 of the country was taken over by rebels! Then of course France declared war over California...:blink:

Needless to say I gave up on that game!

I´d rather go for something on China however. Taiwan/Formosa is not tough to get and gives lots of tea. Or, naturally, Java, as US is a bit poor on both coffee and sulphur.

Cuba resources are bad, but it´s nice for roleplaying purposes.

What you SHOULD take from Spain is Fernando Po, which is a nice place to start colonizing Africa. You need tropical wood and rubber. So, use Place in the Sun CB to grab it, then add Cuba as wargoal.

But Cuba does have sizable pop, which is the most important resources.