• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Chicken Spadge

Major
31 Badges
Aug 3, 2009
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Iron Cross
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For The Glory
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Pride of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
Here is a new updated version of my political map colorscales for Vanilla/AGCEEP/Plvs Vltra and WATKABAOI.

It retains quite a few of the colours included in the first version, but there is a fair number of new colours and shades as well.

Like the first version, there is an emphasis on reduced contrast between the shading at the centre of a provence and the one at the edge.

Some of the new colours are a bit darker than typical for the first version, however.

In addition, while the first version only had 20 colours, this one has the maximum possible of 26.

I've also attempted to remove some of the shortcomings in the first version, which I apologise for. The first version was rather chaotic, because I simply changed the shades of some colours and then posted the thing up without giving you an idea of what the names of the colours seen on the map actually were. I also left four colours that didn't match up with the others properly in the file unchanged because I'd just left them out in my copy of the game.

This time I've made more of an effort to match the actual appearance of the colours to the names in the file, and where they don't match I've added a better description, like here in the vanilla file:

Here you can see that the colour labelled DarkYellow is actually BlueGreen (the colour used in vanilla for Venice, which I have made slightly more blueish).

Anyway, here are some screenshots of the new version:

I'd like to acknowledge the inspiration for several colours that I got from Olav's and Emperor_krk's version of the EUII SB colorscales, which were posted on this thread. This was a big help with the greens in particular.

You should note that the screenshots are taken from my version of the game, where I've customised the map to my own tastes by altering my countries files. Your version will look different.

With this in mind I'm also posting links to my countries files for vanilla, AGCEEP and WATKABAOI (I haven't got Plvs Vltra, sorry). These will make your maps look like the ones above, but please note that these files are only suitable for people who are using my sprite pack. If you are still using the old sprites, my countries files will make a lot of them disappear, so don't download them.

For those of you who don't have my sprites or want to allocate colours to countries yourselves, I've written a short guide to editing the countries files in post #5 of this thread. The post also includes a list of the colour names and examples of the countries that use them on the maps shown.

Downloads

Vanilla, AGCEEP and Plvs Vltra all use the same colorscales file. WATKABAOI has its own file, however.

Download the colorscales for vanilla, AGCEEP and Plvs Vltra here
Download the colorscales for WATKABAOI here

Put the colorscales download for vanilla AGCEEP and Plvs Vltra in your For the Glory folder
Put the colorscales download for WATKABAOI in For the Glory/Mods/WATKABAOI

Overwrite when asked

Countries files

IMPORTANT - DO NOT download these files if you don't use my spritepack or if you want to allocate the colours to countries yourself.

Download the vanilla countries file here
Download the AGCEEP countries file here
Download the WATKABAOI countries file here

Put the vanilla countries download in your For the Glory folder.
Put the AGCEEP countries download in For the Glory/Mods/AGCEEP
Put the WATKABAOI countries download in For the Glory/Mods/WATKABAOI

Last edited:
Thanks a lot! You were true, however, when you said that you took inspiration from DH:

The correct location for vanilla is Darkest Hour/Db/Map/Colorscales/Glory

And the correct location for WATKABOAI is Darkest Hour/Mods/WATKABAOI/Db/Map/Colorscales/Glory
:D

I've posted links to a new version of my colorscales in the original post in this thread.

As mentioned in the original post, here is a guide to editing the countries files:

First, here are a couple of screenshots with lists of the names used in the files.

Colour names in vanilla, AGCEEP and Plvs Vltra:

Blue - France, Moldova
Brown - Bohemia, Wallachia
Green - Portugal, Serbia
Gray (actually Lilac) - Navarra, Magdeburg
DarkBlue - Scotland, Croatia
DarkGreen - Saxony, Naples
DarkGray (actually Blue-Grey) - Tuetonic Order, Siena
DarkPurple - Burgundy, Oldenburg
DarkOrange (Bronze) - Pomerania, Mainz
DarkRed - Switzerland, Byzantium
DarkYellow (actually Blue-Green) - Venice
LightBlue - Sweden, Bavaria
LightBrown - Golden Horde, Brittany
LightGreen - Ottoman Empire, Pskov
LightGrey - Brandenburg, Lorraine
LightOrange - Lithuania, Aragon
LightRed - Bosnia
Light Yellow (Cream) - Poland, Provence
Purple (Burgundy) - Kleves, Morea
Red - England, Hoya
White - Austria, Novgorod
Yellow - Spain, Wurttemburg
AvocadoGreen (Apple Green) - Auvergne, Holstein
RedWine - Denmark, Papal States
Teal - Hungary, Brabant
DarkBrown - Milan, Albania

Colour names in WATKABAOI

Blue - France, Moldova
Brown - Bohemia, Milan
DarkBlue - Scotland
Green - Portugal, Serbia
Pale (actually Light Red) - Transylvania, Modena
Indigo (actually Light Brown) - Golden Horde, Brittany
Bronze - Mecklenberg
Burgundy - Burgundy, Bremen
DarkOrange (Dark Red) - Switzerland, Pomerania
TeaGreen (LightGreen) - Ottoman Empire
Gray (Blue-Grey) - Tuetonic Order
LightBlue - Sweden
Teal - Hungary
MossGreen (Apple Green) - Auvergne, Styria
LightGray - Brandenburg, Oldenburg
DarkGreen - Savoy, Naples
Orange (Light Orange) - Lithuania, Aragon
Chocolate (Dark Brown) - Norway, Stuttgart
Purple - Meissen
Red - England, Oppeln
White - Austria, Novgorod
Yellow - Spain
MilkWhite (Cream) - Poland, Provence
Aquamarine - (Blue-Green) - Venice
RedWine - Denmark, Papal States
Lilac - Bourbonais, Munster

Each version of the game has its own countries file.

You'll find the vanilla countries files in Db, for AGCEEP in Mods/AGCEEP/Db, for WATKABAOI in Mods/WATKABAOI/Db, and for Plvs Vltra in Mods/Plvs Vltra/Db .

Suppose that you wanted to change the colour of Brittany to Lilac in vanilla. Just go to the countries file and open it and find Brittany in the list.

Then simply change the colour circled. Remember, you can't write 'Lilac', because the colour isn't called that in vanilla. Change it to 'Gray' instead.

Last edited: