• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

RedTemplar

Diagnosed Megacampaign Addict
90 Badges
Mar 10, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Iron Cross
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
Deus, Patria e Familia

PortugalFlag_zpsf07fc2b1.jpg

Restoring the Ultramar

Introduction

In times past, the Portuguese were frontrunners of global exploration and colonization, forging a vast empire that spanned the seas and continents to encompass what has been called the Ultramar Portugues, or the Portuguese Overseas Empire. With land an interests in Europe, Africa, South America, and Asia, Portugal carved out its place among the prominent empires of the world. Though their power was far from that of England, France, or other major powers, the Portuguese remained proud of their empire and held it dear.

But by the 1930's, the loss of lands to other European powers and the independence of Brazil left Portugal smaller and weaker than it had been in many years. Economic instability wracked Portugal in the early 20th century, as the country was declared bankrupt twice under the watch of Carlos I. Decades of unrest followed, until the establishment of the Estado Novo under the authoritarian leadership of Antonio de Oliveira Salazar, Portugal's Prime Minister. Under Salazar's leadership and under the watchful eye of his secret police, the Estado Novo took a firm hold of Portugal, espousing strong anti-communist, pro-Catholic, highly nationalistic sentiments and holding to the ideal of Portugal as a pluricontinental empire, diverse and self-sufficient from the major superpowers.

With the Second World War on the horizon, many opportunities were laid open for Salazar's Portugal to reestablish itself as a premier overseas power. But to do so, he would need to choose his allies and his conquests carefully...

Game Details

- Darkest Hour 1.03 RC3, 1933 scenario with minor modding to Portugal's starting tech
- DH Full, with the addition of some custom-made events / decisions for Portugal.. and anything I mod along the way
- Edit: Also adjusted naval build times to make capital ships take 35% less time to build. I like what DH did to land unit build times, but some ships taking 4-5 years to get on the map just seems ridiculous to me.
- Normal / Normal, Full IC Takeover: Off, Tech Team Takeover: On, Democracies can start war

I love playing little countries or just doing off-beat stuff... I had a blast with a Fascist France AAR awhile ago and spend some time in Kaiserreich's Austro-Hungarian Civil War before the AAR died off thanks to that thing we call real life... So as I return to the business of AAR-ing, which I can just never seem to quit, I want to hop onto little, forgotten Portugal and try to focus on expanding her overseas territories. And that means lots of options! Reclaiming South American lands, expanding further into Africa, making headway into Asia and the Pacific, you name it -- and Portugal is in a good position to have access to lots of diplomatic options, so I think this AAR can go plenty of places depending on where I (and you all!) want it to develop. It won't be easy, and I fully expect one of the major powers to show up and roflstomp me eventually, but I'm going to see how far I can take it!

So by all means.. Stop by, say hi, give me some feedback, and subscribe! And get ready for some update-age to set up our little adventure. And do be warned, I'm not a history scholar -- I try to do some reading and research for my AARs, but you can fully expect some inconsistencies or stupid flubs :p

Last edited:
Good luck My friend,My family comes from Portugal and Italy,but I do not know much about them,so I will let this Propaganda here from the times of Salazar ^^

[video=youtube;JYKEKwWYmJE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYKEKwWYmJE[/video]

Finally something different! A Portugal AAR!

Well, that's the hope! I enjoy playing countries that aren't usually looked at... Steamrolling the universe as the USA or USSR is no fun, so taking on the little guys is where I like it!

Good luck, are you planning to join the axis?

Good luck, are you planning to join the axis?

That will have to be a decision I'll make once the AAR gets moving... I'm starting in 1933, so I won't have to worry about it right away, but as I'll highlight later in the AAR when it comes closer to decision time, there can be pluses for joining the Allies or the Axis, depending on where I want to expand.

March 1933

The State of the Portuguese Armed Forces
Report on the Military Preparedness of the Portuguese State
Given by Tasso Miranda Cabral, Chief of Staff

The Army

As of the present date, the Portuguese Army is comprised of a standing force of seven divisions currently stationed in the homeland at reserve strength and stationed primarily along the border with Spain. Of these seven divisions, five are standard infantry divisions, and two of those five are supplemented by attached artillery brigades. The remaining two divisions are made up of cavalry forces -- and all of our current ground forces are equipped to standards dating to the mid-late 1920's.

002-HomelandArmy_zpsa524d8d5.jpg

While these forces are not as terribly outdated as those of some other nations, I would still advise that we explore the timely modernization of our arms and equipment. As the defense of the Iberian homeland remains our foremost military priority, it is essential that those troops entrusted with the protection of the Fatherland are given the best means to do so effectively. The army also presently has a single wing of outdated tactical bombers at its disposal, but the expansion of our aerial weaponry is not a priority at this time.

In addition to these regular standing forces, there is also the additional matter of our colonial forces. Two divisions of standing militia are stationed in Africa -- one in Angola and one in Mozambique -- to maintain the security of our colonies there. One additional militia unit is stationed at Panjim, in India. They are lightly-armed forces of professionalized volunteers, and are suitable for routine policework in the colonies. They could be trusted to suppress minor partisan revolts, but they would be ill-prepared to engage in conflict against any professional armed forces.

004-AfricanColonialForces_zps5a9dbfda.jpg
005-PanjimMilitia_zpsa67c8abe.jpg

It is not immediately necessary to update or reinforce these units, as the risk of violent conflict in the colonial regions is presently very low. We should, however, be prepared to provide them with support from the main army should an extended battle break out in any of these theaters. We should plan accordingly to be able to transfer troops and supplies to the colonies on short notice.

The Navy

As Portugal's lands are spread across the seas and continents, it is necessary to maintain a naval force which is capable of supplying and defending this vast territory quickly and effectively. It is my great displeasure, however, to inform you that I presently find our navy incapable of doing either. The Portuguese Navy, currently docked at Lisbon, is anchored by the NRP Vasco de Gama and the NRP Adamastor, two ships which have been in service since the previous century. These two ships are supported by two flotillas of similarly outdated destroyers and gunboats, as well as a single flotilla of submarines and enough transports to move a single army division.

001-PortugueseNavy1933_zps2e429848.jpg

Should Portugal be forced into military conflict, I fear that nearly any country with a naval presence would easily defeat our woefully outdated maritime forces. Furthermore, our inability to move more than a single army division at a time means that it would be extremely difficult to provide timely reinforcements if any of our colonial holdings were to be invaded or suffer a mass uprising. For this reason, it is my recommendation that we proceed immediately with a thorough expansion and modernization of the navy. This project should include the expansion of our transport capacity to allow us to move at least three divisions at once, and should also entail the construction of new capital ships and the formation of a modern destroyer group. Until the seas of Portugal and the colonies are secure, the rest of our military advancements will be for naught.

It is my conclusion, then, that it is necessary for the safety of the Portuguese people and the defense of the Fatherland that an immediate effort be undertaken to see to the armed forces' ability to adequately traverse and defend the breadth of our great nation. The expansion of the navy and the re-equipping of our ground troops will make it possible for us to be confidently assured of our ability to defend what is ours and ensure a future of stability.

Well as you can see, I don't have a lot to work with, starting off. Portugal has a whopping 14 IC, and while 10 land divisions isn't too bad, having 7 units to protect all of Portugal and a paltry militia division each in some of the colonies doesn't offer a lot of stability. And holy crap, does the Portuguese navy suck...

So before I can start weighing our options for conquering more colonies, I've got to get Portugal into fighting shape with some new ships and a lot of time sunk into research. Starting in the '33 scenario gives me some time to do that, though, so I should be able to build them up respectably by the time I need any real military muscle.

Some additional transports will be in order at some point. without them you can't even beat up on the most minor of overseas powers.

I imaging you'll be looking to intervene in the Spanish civil war? Some Spanish territory or a puppet could be very useful to IC/Manpower/militarily starved Portugal.

It may also be worth joining an alliance for BPs and free resources....then leaving it before the war starts :p

March 1933 - July 1936
Salazar's Renaissance

Building the Estado Novo

The rise of Antonio de Oliveira Salazar to power in Portugal ushered in a new age of national pride and across-the-board reforms within the country. While President Carmona was the titular Head of State, the true power in Portugal rested with Salazar and the National Union, which became Portugal's only sanctioned political party with Salazar's ascent. Under his leadership, Portugal took on many characteristics of fascist regimes, including a fierce sense of nationalism, militant culture, and the establishment of a secret police (the PVDE), a national militia (The Portuguese Legion), and a state-run youth organization (The Portuguese Youth) as the country drifted strongly to the right. The Novo Estado was fiercely proud of Portugal's history, openly espoused traditional and Roman Catholic values, and quickly suppressed dissenting voices -- especially those that leaned leftward.

Salazar_zpsefc24b1d.jpg

Prime Minister Antonio de Oliveira Salazar, leader of the National Union and architect
of the Estado Novo

Along with the social reforms molding Portugal into a fascist state, Portugal also began a series of military overhauls beginning in 1933. This overhaul was based largely upon recommendations by Chief of Staff Tasso Miranda Cabral, and began with the expansion of the badly outdated Portuguese Navy, whose flagship had been in service since the late 1800's. Several flotillas of modern destroyers were constructed to lay the foundation for the revamped fleet, and by August of 1934 there were five flotillas of brand-new destroyers docked at Lisbon. Shortly thereafter, construction began on two light cruisersand a single battlecruiser, which would serve as the new fleet's flagship. Two additional transport flotillas rounded out the fleet modernization, and it was anticipated that the new Portuguese Navy 1st Fleet would be ready to set sail in its entirety by the beginning of 1937.

007-1933DestroyerProduction_zps45fbd73d.jpg

At the same time, a substantial investment was made into research & development, with new efforts focused mainly on advancing naval tactics and developing new ship models.

006-TechnologyAdvances1933_zps09764fd4.jpg

The expansion of the army was not scheduled to begin until sometime in 1936, in order to allow adequate time for the navy to be modernized and for a small, functional fleet to be formed before budgeting resources were realigned to favor the buildup of the army. In addition to upgrading the equipment of the standing army, it was planned to create a new branch of the navy to oversee the formation of a marine corps, whose tactics could be tailored to fighting overseas by making rapid amphibious landings in colonial territories, enabling quick reinforcement by specialized troops anywhere in Portuguese territory.

The building and modernization continued peacefully for several years, as Portugal remained isolated from the slowly-gathering storm in Europe. But in the summer of 1936, the Estado Novo would be on the very edges of a bloody and bitter conflict on the Iberian Peninsula...

Last edited:
And that there's the beginning of my plan. With so little IC on hand I can only build so many ships before I need to start churning out some troops... So by the time everything builds I'm looking at 6 destroyer flotillas, 2 light carriers, and 1 battlecruiser. Nothing amazing, but for a small country it should at least get the job done for me against smaller opponents. Hopefully nobody big comes knocking...

Next step is to get the infantry upgraded and churn out a few marine divisions -- I'm thinking that's the way I'll go, especially for flavor. I like the idea of elite Portuguese marines sailing around the empire battling evil!

That sort of fleet should be sufficient to defend a landing against a tin pot minor power somewhere like South America which is all you really need. The Battlecruiser is a nice touch, the Lisboa looks to be a fine ship.

I will watch that! Attack the Republican Spain while the Spanish Civil War and get the whole western coast of Hispania .. then join Axis .. compete with the British on the sea and conquer Brazil... or even the whole South American continent !
Don't forget about Africa. Vichy France it's an easy target. South Africa too.

July 1936 - January 1939
The Spanish Civil War

Trouble in Iberia

Portugal, with its newly formed government and strong leadership, remained an anchor of stability as political unease and tension began to rise throughout Europe in the 1930's. In Germany, the upstart Adolf Hitler was causing a stir as his Nazi regime took over the country and rapidly expanded the German military, and the looming shadow of the Soviet Union stood as a reminder of the international communist agenda lurking just around the corner. But as Europe grew uneasy, Salazar was careful to keep Portugal away from the political turmoil and tensions of the European mainland. In 1936, however, trouble hit close to home as tensions in Spain between the Popular and National fronts resulted in a rebellion that quickly erupted into an extended civil war.

NationalistTroopsFighting_zps6975fb56.jpg

Outwardly, most of the major European powers took a stance of non-intervention in the conflict. The Allied nations, in particular, were keen to have minimal involvement in the war, refusing to send any direct aid to either faction. Germany and Italy took a more active stance, recognizing the Nationalist rebels as the legitimate rulers of Spain, and both countries sent expeditionary forces to aid them against the Republicans. The Soviet Union also made its presence felt, sending a force of its own to support the Republican army.

In Portugal, opinions were split on how to respond to the outbreak of war so close to home. Many Portuguese preferred to stay out of the conflict -- to "leave Spanish wars to Spaniards," as one columnist wrote -- and allow the war to resolve itself however it would. A small minority sympathized with the Republicans, but these were mostly members of left-leaning parties which had already been banned and suppressed, so these voices were rarely heard in the public discussion. Still others, particularly within the Portuguese government, saw promise in a Nationalist victory. The Nationalists defended Spanish clergy against the strong anti-clerical Republican agenda, and there was a strong fascist and authoritarian presence among the Nationalist forces. This meant that a Nationalist victory could result in a like-minded neighbor for Portugal, making for easy cooperation between two authoritarian states for the protection of the Iberian Peninsula.

From on official standpoint, Portugal remained neutral -- the army was poised along the Spanish border to prevent fighting from spilling inside the homeland, and the navy remained docked at Lisbon in a passive state. But despite the official inaction of the army, Prime Minister Salazar did authorize the creation of the Viriatos, a volunteer force of nearly 20,000 soldiers and civilian militia, to travel to Spain and fight with the Nationalists. With Salazar's blessing, the Viriatos crossed the border into Salamanca, where they met up with Nationalist forces to lend their assistance to the fight.

008-SpanishCivilWarIntervention_zpsad181deb.jpg

With all the pieces in place, it quickly became apparent that the Spanish Civil War was far more than a struggle for control of the Spanish government. Through the intervention of so many foreign countries, it had also become something of a proxy war between the Russian communists and European fascists, with the Allied democracies attempting to referee a strict non-intervention, all pointing to the growing divide between the three political groups.

The war was an aggressive and violent one, and the early months of the war were marked by fast-paced offensives and explosive skirmishes as each side attempted to maneuver into a position of strength and claim key objectives across the country.

010-SCWAug1936_zps5f37d25c.jpg

The early portion of the war was marked by encircling offensives and a scramble to claim key cities and objectives.

By the summer of 1937, the two sides had settled into their positions and a stable front had emerged, with forces trading victories and defeats as the battle lines shifted only by small amounts throughout the remainder of the year. After being a part of the attack force that secured Madrid early on in the war, the volunteers from the Viriatos spent much of the middle war as reserve units, defending strategic positions while the Spanish forces led the offensive.

011-SCWJuly1937_zps8cef53c8.jpg

The battle lines solidified after the initial scramble, and Nationalist and Republican forces traded minor victories throughout much of
1937, with little overall progress made by either side.

As the war of attrition dragged on, the advantage gradually shifted toward the Nationalists, who controlled a greater share of the country's factories and resources. With reinforcement and resupply becoming increasingly hard to come by, the Republicans slowly began to give ground until Nationalist forces achieved a decisive breakthrough in March of 1938, cutting northeastern Spain off from the main concentration of Republican troops in the south. With the Republican army divided in two, Nationalist forces reclaimed the northeastern corner before a combined offensive wore down what remained of the opposition in the south, ultimately leading to the surrender of the Republican army.

012-SCWJune1938_zpsf8b191df.jpg

By isolating Republican forces in the northeast from the main army, Nationalist forces were finally able to secure a definitive victory.

On January 11 of 1939, the Nationalists officially declared victory in the Spanish Civil War, and Francisco Franco ascended to power over the newly-installed government. After an extended and bloody conflict that lasted two and a half years, peace returned to the Iberian Peninsula with two fascist regimes ruling side-by-side. With Franco's victory secured, now Salazar would have to determine just how he wanted to cooperate with Portugal's new neighbor.

Franco wins! And here you get a look at one of the new events I modded in. I gave Portugal a decision to intervene in the war just like Germany and Italy... In this case, my decision gave 2 Militia units to the Nationalists, and moved Portugal's relations further from the Allies and closer to the Axis. Historically the Portuguese government actually did plan the formation of a Viriatos Legion, but scrapped the idea... Some Portuguese still volunteered anyway, but I decided to make a decision to go through with the plan.

The second option would have only sent supplies and money, but carried a smaller change in relationship values. Staying out of it entirely gives a point toward Isolationism and some friendship with the Allies, and a hit to Axis relations. Not only does it impact the war, but it gives Portugal a chance to gravitate toward one of the major alliances depending on which, if any, the player wants to join.