+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Ibadi Caliphate

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHeir to the Throne
    Lost Empire - ImmortalsRome GoldVictoria 2

The Ibadi Caliphate

Ibadis were the first group of muslims to break off from the main faith, declaring all other muslims to be non-believers. In game the Ibadis are apparently a Sunni heresy. I think this is wrong and that Ibadi should be considered a branch of Islam the same way Miaphysites are now a branch of Christianity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rustamids
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ib%C4%81diyya

Crusader Kings II

Hm.. you actually could consider them as another branch in Islam since they're also the majority in Oman today - should be easy to mod.
    But i would let them be a heresy - tbh even the actual ingame main branches are not fleshed out enough and could need some more love, the only difference i see is that shia people can hire the hashashin and the sunni cant..
    I may start a mod if there isnt another..

CD.

General Grumpalodian Aardvark Bellay's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Victoria 2CK2: Holy Knight

All muslim groups are considered a heresy to each other, so that they'll fight each other as in real life.
    The heresy part is a game mechanic in the first place, just like sunni and shia see each other as a heresy. Again it's more a game mechanic than trying to reflect theological issues.
    At least that's how i understand it. Might be right, might be wrong. Hmm...
    [Micromod] - Old Building Names (Pre-1.10-building-names for CK2)

CK2 Mods: User Mod Index (Don't forget to post about your mod compatibility)
    Deutsch CK2: German CK2 Sub-Forum (go there for the german translation 'repair' mod)

200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 Complete
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMajesty 2Europa Universalis: Rome
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Hearts of Iron: The Card GameCK2: Holy KnightKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    Teleglitch: Die More EditionEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
    Crusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
    Crusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

Quote Originally Posted by Aardvark Bellay View Post
    All muslim groups are considered a heresy to each other, so that they'll fight each other as in real life.
    The heresy part is a game mechanic in the first place, just like sunni and shia see each other as a heresy. Again it's more a game mechanic than trying to reflect theological issues.
    At least that's how i understand it. Might be right, might be wrong. Hmm...
    In vanilla, Sunni and Shia are not heresies of each other. They can just declare Holy War on each other, which I'm sure would be the case if Ibadi was made a 3rd branch (but I do not know the code offhand).

Crusader Kings II

Quote Originally Posted by Zsrai View Post
    In vanilla, Sunni and Shia are not heresies of each other. They can just declare Holy War on each other..
    Thats the point - they declare holy wars each other cause they consider the other side as a heresy

Myself
    Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesHearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis: Rome

Since, as has already been said, the only difference between branches of Islam in CK2 is the availability of the Hashashins and the person of the Caliph, it shouldn't be difficult to make Ibadi a separate branch (just add a third Caliph title, an icon and shuffle some code around). The only thing necessary would be some Ibadi heresies, so that they could appear over the course of the game.
    Sit now there, and look out upon the lands where evil and despair shall come to those whom thou allied. Thou hast dared to mock me, and to question the power of France, master of the fates of Europe. Therefore with my explorers thou shalt see, and with my spies thou shalt hear; and never shall thou be released from vassalage until all is fulfilled unto its bitter end.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHeir to the Throne
    Lost Empire - ImmortalsRome GoldVictoria 2

Quote Originally Posted by Me_ View Post
    Since, as has already been said, the only difference between branches of Islam in CK2 is the availability of the Hashashins and the person of the Caliph, it shouldn't be difficult to make Ibadi a separate branch (just add a third Caliph title, an icon and shuffle some code around). The only thing necessary would be some Ibadi heresies, so that they could appear over the course of the game.
    Kharijites.

For The GloryHearts of Iron IIIMagickaSengokuVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Or, since the differences are so relatively minor (and entirely theological in nature), they can just remain a Heresy with a Caliph title, either creatable or created. That way the Sunni branch doesn't lose any Heresies.

Quote Originally Posted by anomanderus View Post
    Kharijites.
    Why? Just because they argue over being them, not being them or being descendant from the same group as them?

EDIT: Hmm... one of those doctrinal beliefs is a rather marked aversion to waging war on Islam, so they should probably not have Holy Wars (at least) on Shia/Sunni.
    I mean exactly what I write.
    Unless I'm being sarcastic, ironic or exaggerating or understating for effect. Or using allegory.

Mein Führer! I can walk!
    Soylent Grün ist menschenfleisch!!

I rather want Nestorian to be a main brand of Christian faith. They are among the first group that separated from the ancient church, and yet still prospered in the game's time frame. At least they deserve a better icon.

Myself
    Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesHearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis: Rome

Quote Originally Posted by Frostschaden View Post
    A main difference would be that the Ibadi Caliph was elected on merit. The Ibadi didn't see a relationship to Mohammed as being important.
    So the conclusion would be: give the Ibadi their own Caliph with a different creation conditions (lots of piety, religious education or lifestyle) from the other Caliphs.
    Sit now there, and look out upon the lands where evil and despair shall come to those whom thou allied. Thou hast dared to mock me, and to question the power of France, master of the fates of Europe. Therefore with my explorers thou shalt see, and with my spies thou shalt hear; and never shall thou be released from vassalage until all is fulfilled unto its bitter end.

For The GloryHearts of Iron IIIMagickaSengokuVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by Frostschaden View Post
    The Ibadi didn't see a relationship to Mohammed as being important.
    Don't see a BLOODLINE relationship to the Prophet as being paramount. It's considered of secondary desireability, but other things are far MORE important.

Quote Originally Posted by Me_ View Post
    So the conclusion would be: give the Ibadi their own Caliph with a different creation conditions (lots of piety, religious education or lifestyle) from the other Caliphs.
    That'd be good, add the Faqih lifestyle as a requirement perhaps.

EDIT: Entirely OT, but I so wish Decadence was linked more to traits than lands. *sigh*
    Last edited by Isaios; 14-06-2013 at 19:58.
    I mean exactly what I write.
    Unless I'm being sarcastic, ironic or exaggerating or understating for effect. Or using allegory.

Mein Führer! I can walk!
    Soylent Grün ist menschenfleisch!!

+ Reply to Thread