• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I tried that fix for my current Norse pagan game. Recently converted to Orthodoxy. When I imported a COA manually for my dynasty from another save game, it still reverts back to a random simple COA - I've tried specifying the religion as well as the name and culture of my dynasty; still no luck. This is driving me nuts. Is there any way to figure out what's going on?
That fix doesn't work for me either; what does work is adding
Code:
set_coat_of_arms=yes
between the religion and the decadence line, which freezes a dynasty's coat of arms across religions.

Reactions:
Many thanks, Mr Bernie! Worked like a charm!

Where exactly in the code would I place that line, Mr Bernie? I've tried that with my Slavic dynasty, but it's not working.

For reference, here's the data I think I need to change (one ¶ = one Tab):

Code:
¶¶2003794=
¶¶{
¶¶¶name="Toporov"
¶¶¶culture="russian"
¶¶¶coat_of_arms=
¶¶¶{
¶¶¶¶data=
¶¶¶¶{
0 1 0 8 12 3 6 ¶¶¶¶¶}
¶¶¶¶religion="slavic_pagan_reformed"
¶¶¶}
¶¶¶decadence=6.67041
¶¶}

And here's what I want my coat of arms to be:

Toporovgoal_zpsdc9a1a61.png~original

Am I looking at the wrong data? If not, what should I change? Altering the numbers in the code doesn't appear to affect the coat of arms.

Last edited:
I hope it's OK to bump this, but I wanted to post a fix for the above problem for anyone else having issues out there.

Here is an example dynasty with the above changes:

Code:
2004564=
		{
			name="Test Dynasty"
			culture="polish"
			coat_of_arms=
			{
				data=
				{
0 1 22 18 3 1 5 				}
				religion="catholic"
			}
			set_coat_of_arms=yes
		}

Note that the religion has been set to catholic, the default in my case was slavic pagan, however swapping to catholic allowed me to use a standard coat of arms. For comparison, these are also the settings for the Slavic Piast dynasty (699) starting in Greater Poland.

I hope it's OK to bump this, but I wanted to post a fix for the above problem for anyone else having issues out there.

Here is an example dynasty with the above changes:

Code:
2004564=
		{
			name="Test Dynasty"
			culture="polish"
			coat_of_arms=
			{
				data=
				{
0 1 22 18 3 1 5 				}
				religion="catholic"
			}
			set_coat_of_arms=yes
		}

Note that the religion has been set to catholic, the default in my case was slavic pagan, however swapping to catholic allowed me to use a standard coat of arms. For comparison, these are also the settings for the Slavic Piast dynasty (699) starting in Greater Poland.

Aaaww yeah! Finally! This saved my COA, thanks! Thank you so much!

For anyone wondering, I believe that the CoA gets broken when you change religions, as I had a Catholic dynasty that then went to a heresy and straight after my CoA
broke. Also, WOOT First ever post!

For anyone wondering, I believe that the CoA gets broken when you change religions, as I had a Catholic dynasty that then went to a heresy and straight after my CoA
broke. Also, WOOT First ever post!
I think it's only when you switch from a "main" religion to one of its heresies, or a variant of it (namely, pagan reformation).

They just need to remove COA change completely i don't think anyone finds any use in the feature unless they are heresying themselves to create a new COA if they don't have the Customizer.

The change happens because on load-up, the game checks the CoA for religious correction. If the check fails, then the CoA is automatically changed. There is no current work-around that will prevent this from happening to my knowledge. Paradox has not clarified why they can not then perform a second check on the CoA to determine if the wrong-religion CoA was the player's.

This is a known issue and one that Paradox is not able or willing to change. It has been reported for a very long time and there are bug report threads in the bug sub-forum.

Supposedly this is to be finally addressed in the upcoming patch. Cross your fingers.

You have to save the game uncompressed. notepad can't read the compressed file.

Well - It can, but the contents are compressed. Also never, ever try to open a savegame with normal Notepad. It just can't handle such large files without likely crashing itself within seconds. Notepad++ uses almost the same user interface and is free (And can actually handle the filesize)