• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Prime624

Lt. General
44 Badges
Jun 10, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Cities in Motion
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities: Skylines
So I started a game with a few minor mods a couple days ago, so, to be safe, I tried to disable auto-updating on Steam. It didn't work and now the game crashes within a month after loading the save.

I am WARNING people that this patch may crash old saves, because, to my experience, most patches don't.

Also, how do I disable auto-updates on Steam? (Just this game, or in general, it doesn't matter to me.) I tried going to properties-->updates-->do not automatically update this game but it still updated on launch.

I am WARNING people that this patch may crash old saves, because, to my experience, most patches don't.

Wut? Almost all Paradox patches are incompatible with old saves...
Don't disable auto-updating. Instead, just copy-paste the game folder somewhere else (CK2 doesn't use the Steam DRM so you don't need to run Steam to play it)

Wut? Almost all Paradox patches are incompatible with old saves...
Don't disable auto-updating. Instead, just copy-paste the game folder somewhere else (CK2 doesn't use the Steam DRM so you don't need to run Steam to play it)

Thanks. That's weird. To my experience, a small patch like this never breaks anything.

As an answer to the automatic updating. It seems like turning that option off does not help stopping the game to autoupdate, it will always autoupdate upon launch of the game. You can either play CK2 by starting the launcher directly, without starting the game through steam. Or to be able to play older saves, you can also copy the folder to a different location and create a new shortcut to the launcher for that version. However, you should do this before launching CK2.

Another way to prevent steam autoupdating is by starting steam in offline mode when you want to play the game. trias10 wrote a post in the technical support forum explaining it in more detail :)

with a few minor mods

That is why you fail.

/yodavoice

I've had no recent problems with vanilla saves. Not with 1.10 -> 1.101 or 1.09 -> 1.09x, at least.

Also, how do I disable auto-updates on Steam? (Just this game, or in general, it doesn't matter to me.) I tried going to properties-->updates-->do not automatically update this game but it still updated on launch.

The checkbox only prevents Steam from updating it while you play other stuff. There's no way to prevent Steam from updating on launch, but you can just launch the game from outside Steam instead.

So I started a game with a few minor mods a couple days ago, so, to be safe, I tried to disable auto-updating on Steam. It didn't work and now the game crashes within a month after loading the save.

Your warning should actually be: The patch may crash old saves WITH modded games.

It may also crash old saves with umodded games, though Paradox did say it was compatible and my saves have not crashed after a few years of game time.