+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Warning/question about recent patch

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Warning/question about recent patch

So I started a game with a few minor mods a couple days ago, so, to be safe, I tried to disable auto-updating on Steam. It didn't work and now the game crashes within a month after loading the save.

I am WARNING people that this patch may crash old saves, because, to my experience, most patches don't.

Also, how do I disable auto-updates on Steam? (Just this game, or in general, it doesn't matter to me.) I tried going to properties-->updates-->do not automatically update this game but it still updated on launch.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    MagickaVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSengokuVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
    Crusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

Quote Originally Posted by Prime624 View Post
    I am WARNING people that this patch may crash old saves, because, to my experience, most patches don't.
    Wut? Almost all Paradox patches are incompatible with old saves...
    Don't disable auto-updating. Instead, just copy-paste the game folder somewhere else (CK2 doesn't use the Steam DRM so you don't need to run Steam to play it)

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Quote Originally Posted by Nyrael View Post
    Wut? Almost all Paradox patches are incompatible with old saves...
    Don't disable auto-updating. Instead, just copy-paste the game folder somewhere else (CK2 doesn't use the Steam DRM so you don't need to run Steam to play it)
    Thanks. That's weird. To my experience, a small patch like this never breaks anything.

Coffee! Paradox Support Rep
    84 games registered

200k clubCrusader Kings IICK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Call to arms eventMagicka: Wizard Wars IMPressive FounderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica
    Crusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old Gods
    Crusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: CharlemagneEUIV: Art of War

As an answer to the automatic updating. It seems like turning that option off does not help stopping the game to autoupdate, it will always autoupdate upon launch of the game. You can either play CK2 by starting the launcher directly, without starting the game through steam. Or to be able to play older saves, you can also copy the folder to a different location and create a new shortcut to the launcher for that version. However, you should do this before launching CK2.

Another way to prevent steam autoupdating is by starting steam in offline mode when you want to play the game. trias10 wrote a post in the technical support forum explaining it in more detail
    Need support? Open a thread in our forums, send me a private message or contact our improved helpdesk at https://paradox.zendesk.com/hc/en-us
    [October 30, 2014] Europa Universalis IV - Europa Universalis IV Art of War Expansion Release
    [October 14, 2014] Crusader Kings 2 - Crusader Kings II Charlemagne Expansion Release

Mr. Capiatlist: Ugh, wife is sick as a dog.
    Icratox: she barks?
    Mr. Capiatlist: Does't translate well, aparently.
    AndrewT: That sounds ruff ruff ruff

When I am writing in this color, I do so as a Moderator. Please listen and do not react to it directly. Instead send me a Private Message.

Thanks. That's weird. To my experience, a small patch like this never breaks anything.
    It's not that small, it even adds new interface stuff. Anyway disabling auto-updates on Steam has never worked, you have to circumvent it.

with a few minor mods
    That is why you fail.

/yodavoice

I've had no recent problems with vanilla saves. Not with 1.10 -> 1.101 or 1.09 -> 1.09x, at least.

Also, how do I disable auto-updates on Steam? (Just this game, or in general, it doesn't matter to me.) I tried going to properties-->updates-->do not automatically update this game but it still updated on launch.
    The checkbox only prevents Steam from updating it while you play other stuff. There's no way to prevent Steam from updating on launch, but you can just launch the game from outside Steam instead.

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2Rome: Vae VictisPride of Nations
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

So I started a game with a few minor mods a couple days ago, so, to be safe, I tried to disable auto-updating on Steam. It didn't work and now the game crashes within a month after loading the save.

Your warning should actually be: The patch may crash old saves WITH modded games.

It may also crash old saves with umodded games, though Paradox did say it was compatible and my saves have not crashed after a few years of game time.

Crusader Kings II500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Yes probably due to the mods. Played about 100 years of my old zoroastrian game.

+ Reply to Thread