• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I think how it works is that you get all the techs of your sphere master if you are in a sphere otherwise you either get the lowest techs of the current GPs or you get the average. Honestly might just be you start at one for everything.

That would make it a bit OP and unrealistic wouldnt it? Westernize with Siam and bam suddenly your army is as strong as Prussias!

No, the technology *all* the GPs had. So say 7 GPs had machine guns, but the 8th only had muzzle loaded rifles, then you'd only get the muzzle loaded rifles when westernising because that's the one that *all* GPs have in common.

Westernization has always been broken since launch, and even more broken since AHD and HOD, but the situation described by OP is not supposed to happen. Did you mod your game OP?

I think that the reason this happens is because of the substate system. Usually Manchuria or Xinjiang is first to westernize in China, so they get the benefit of new tech, but the other substates are westernized by fiat and don't get anything. Which actually sucks for the big Chinese states, but them's the breaks.

I think that the reason this happens is because of the substate system. Usually Manchuria or Xinjiang is first to westernize in China, so they get the benefit of new tech, but the other substates are westernized by fiat and don't get anything. Which actually sucks for the big Chinese states, but them's the breaks.

There is the answer OP was looking for, another broken piece of the game unfixed.

About China, I have yet to see full China since HoD came out. Each game it gets fragmented and spends remainder of the game trying to conquer the substates, which is imo not the way this sytem was suppose to work like.

About China, I have yet to see full China since HoD came out. Each game it gets fragmented and spends remainder of the game trying to conquer the substates, which is imo not the way this sytem was suppose to work like.
Again, this is a product of Xinjiang/Manchuria fast westernization. All substates fragment and get technological parity- China proper can usually smack around Xibei San Ma and Yunnan a bit but is evenly matched with Guangxi. Bam, no Chinese unification. I think you could remedy the situation by splitting Guangxi in two, giving Fujian-Jiangxi-Zhejiang to a new substate.

I think for the most part, the devs have kept this feature because they don't want China showing up as #1 GP in 1936 every game, and really the only reason why they didn't IRL at that point was disunity, war exhaustion, and thorough mismanagement.

Again, this is a product of Xinjiang/Manchuria fast westernization. All substates fragment and get technological parity- China proper can usually smack around Xibei San Ma and Yunnan a bit but is evenly matched with Guangxi. Bam, no Chinese unification. I think you could remedy the situation by splitting Guangxi in two, giving Fujian-Jiangxi-Zhejiang to a new substate.

I think for the most part, the devs have kept this feature because they don't want China showing up as #1 GP in 1936 every game, and really the only reason why they didn't IRL at that point was disunity, war exhaustion, and thorough mismanagement.
It's not that at all. China always smacks Guanxi around in my games. Problem are the other ones, who are either in USA or Japan sphere and since China has no navy, they can't do anything but white peace every time.

Still, this is silly. I mean, I'm a fan of alternate history, but something like this happening every single time is a bit ridiculous. There has to be a better solution.

It's not that at all. China always smacks Guanxi around in my games. Problem are the other ones, who are either in USA or Japan sphere and since China has no navy, they can't do anything but white peace every time.

Still, this is silly. I mean, I'm a fan of alternate history, but something like this happening every single time is a bit ridiculous. There has to be a better solution.

I'm pretty sure there isn't and won't be because all Paradox's titles are Eurocentric games. As long as the Europeans in-game dominates the world no less than they did in real history, the devs see it as "balanced". Every attention they put outside Europe turned out to be nerfs to make colonialism and imperialism easier for European GPs.

yodaime said:
Really? Every time I've paid attention China has ground itself down in bloody white-peace wars with Guangxi. I went and double-checked and the Empire is twice as populous, so in my games it must've just been flukes.

I'm pretty sure there isn't and won't be because all Paradox's titles are Eurocentric games. As long as the Europeans in-game dominates the world no less than they did in real history, the devs see it as "balanced". Every attention they put outside Europe turned out to be nerfs to make colonialism and imperialism easier for European GPs.
Which is exactly why I'm constantly kicking around ideas for counterfactual Orientalist mods! I've been considering one where industrialization kicks off in China circa Late Tang and by ~1100 the biggest industrial centers are on the Pacific and Indian Oceans while Europe is laden with big, backwards Roman successor-states and pagan confederations. Alt-history is fun.

Which is exactly why I'm constantly kicking around ideas for counterfactual Orientalist mods! I've been considering one where industrialization kicks off in China circa Late Tang and by ~1100 the biggest industrial centers are on the Pacific and Indian Oceans while Europe is laden with big, backwards Roman successor-states and pagan confederations. Alt-history is fun.

It is! I'd like to hear more about? Did you post more about it anywhere?

If China is united (and expanded), with good techs , population x3-4 as whole UK+colonies where is challenge for player when he play as China, or how to beat them if you play as other country?

In previous versions I remember , first or second step was to take some provinces from China early if you want become GP 1, and avoid +4000 brigades against you:)

thank you for you explanation, this could very well be the cause of the problem