• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Chapter 20 - An order to the chaos​

It's not until the first day of June that the death of the khan is announced to the public. For 50 years, Khalil has served as the Khan of Timurid, and though he had somewhat of a shaky start he eventually managed to grow in confidence and ability. His greatest feat is in his unwavering faith in Alah, which fuelled the spread of Islam deep into the very core of Christian territory. In honour of his service, he shall be recorded into history as Khalil the devout.

The news of Khalil's death has thrown the entire country into turmoil, with rebellions appearing in every newly conquered province and lots of unrest spread throughout Timurid. No doubt we will be seeing even more rebels in the near future.

Timurid569.jpg~original

The new khan to rise to the throne is none other than Khalil's own son and heir, Bây Sunqur II. As a capable warrior and master strategist, he is well equipped to confront the turmoil that grips his country. Even so, he will no doubt need every trick he knows if he is to keep Timurid strong, and he is lacking quite harshly in any sort of administrative or diplomatic skills. He is also quite old, just recently turning 45, and has yet to father a suitable heir.

There is no time to worry about that now, however. The rebels forces are in the area of quadruple the size of our armies, currently holding steady at 257,000 troops strong. The first order of business for Bây is to fire the old theologist that Khalil was so fond of and recruit instead a brand new commandant to get our armies into fighting shape.

Timurid571.jpg~original

The map of Timurid is really looking rather sickly at the moment, so let's have a closer look at each area. First up, India!

This area is pretty tame, with the only real threat being the rebels from Delhi, which is not entirely unexpected as our forces have already taken defensive positions in the province. Luckily, they have shown up as a separate faction and will most likely end up retreating into Delhi. Err... our vassal, Delhi.

Timurid565.jpg~original

The middle east is a somewhat larger concern, but our forces are so concentrated in this area that it shouldn't be a problem. It's important we don't lose any provinces in this area as they are very close to becoming cores.

Timurid566.jpg~original

Europe, however, is where the trouble lies. Even with the highest concentration of forces located in this area, including the two extra that are currently in Teutonic Order land and all our generals assigned to these armies, the situation is dire. The size of the rebel armies here is quite large already, and combined with the fact this area is the most likely to gain even more rebels than we can easily get into trouble. On a happy note however, Austria still exists in Sundgau and so won't be able to gain any of their old provinces back.

Timurid567.jpg~original

With no threat of old rivals returning, we can freely focus on our main priority for the area: protecting the missionaries. It would be a shame to lose them as they are quite a large upfront investment. Luckily we already have an army claiming the defensive bonus in Wien. Besides Delhi, this would have been the most troublesome province to have to liberate.

Timurid570.jpg~original

For some reason however our troops and the rebels are in no rush to meet each other on the battlefield. For two weeks both sides are locked in a fierce staring contest that threatens to go on forever, but then suddenly one of the rebels blinks and causes them all to flee in shame. Just look at all that prestige they have lost! We also get a taste of things to come as several more rebel armies rise up against us.

Timurid572.jpg~original

Well, it's a minor bug.. I guess? I usually try to fix what I can, but I couldn't find an easy fix for this one so I'll just make sure I let armies meet in battle before saving next time. I'm sorry!

Just a few months into the TSC we encounter a new problem: Our cash reserves are draining startlingly fast. Not only has taxation dropped significantly but production is also shut down for provinces with no clear route to the capital.

Timurid574.jpg~original

Quite a dire situation as the options for quick cash grabs are fairly limited and an unpaid army would be... well, a very short story, to be sure. The obvious option might be to just mint what we need but with our economy the way it is, trying to squeeze even more out of it is a very unpleasant idea indeed.

Happily, our list of limited options just happens to include a two options!

Timurid575.jpg~original

The cash you get from minting is tied directly to your monthly income, meaning it is best done when your economy is at its finest (hello, war taxes!). Generally the longer you can put it off the more reward it will give you. Unless, of course, your country suddenly starts falling apart (due to a pesky TSC!). If this is the case, a loan that can get you back to a point where your economy is once again thriving with minimal (or no) minting and then turning it up to full will often save you from a rather massive amount of inflation.

By the way, if anyone asks; I
clearly ran out of money on purpose in order to show this off. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it! Ahem...

With plenty of cash to pay our troops we can once again get back to clearing some rebels. Minting is shut down completely for now, and hopefully we can reduce inflation a little before needing to mint heavily. The Golden Horde is also helping us to clear the Lithuanian patriots, so that's nice. Lithuania is no longer paying them tribute so if they were to gain any land they would once again be at war. The Golden Horde really doesn't want to expand more than they have, It seems. I can't imagine why!

Timurid576.jpg~original

Unfortunately none of our vassals are making any effort to assist us, but most of the rebels near their borders are fighting amongst themselves anyway. Patriot rebels are often nice like that.

Timurid577.jpg~original

We get some troops down into Naxos ASAP since Provence has recently submitted. The last thing we need is the cores on the islands being reset, and it's been almost 2 years since this province was taken.

Timurid578.jpg~original

It seems England has decided it's a good time for another invasion, which is rather annoyingly quite true. Their recent competence is starting to get really bothersome, but nonetheless our troops are there to bravely stand up to them.

Timurid579.jpg~original

As it happens though, they simply roll right over us. Higher morale doesn't do us much good at all against a good general and luck on their side! We call a retreat to avoid getting completely slaughtered, but the damage has been done.

Timurid580.jpg~original

As if having our army crippled wasn't enough, the English aren't content to simply take their province back. They give chase, and we have little choice but to end the war. The English are being stubborn as usual of course, and won't accept anything less than a concession of defeat. The loss of legitimacy really hurts with our revolt risk already so high, but at least England will be out of our hair.

Timurid581.jpg~original

Some good news at least is that the rebels in the middle east are falling fast. We have already sent one of the local armies onwards towards Europe, and the rest are simply busy cleaning up the overly stubborn rebels.

Timurid582.jpg~original

In an attempt to mimic the success of England, Bavaria decides that we should have been at war by now and breaks the truce (except not?) to attack us. It's actually not a wholly misguided plan, but unfortunately for everyone they didn't properly fill out their paperwork and the war is declared null and void when Qara Koyunlu attempts to join. Maybe next time, Bavaria...

Timurid583.jpg~original

I... What? I was not expecting this at all. I mean, they are a 2PM... I guess they had a mission? As far as I know it's impossible to get a valid CB on a nomad country unless you are also a nomad, even if you have a mission to attack them. Also, this game isn't usually so buggy, I swear!

The loss of legitimacy sadly does seem to pick up the pace of the newly forming rebel armies and we get another new pretender after the last one blundered their way into a bunch of other rebels. At least Aragon's provinces are starting to submit!

Timurid584.jpg~original

There is still lots to do, but Europe is at least starting to look a little bit clearer. Sort of.

Province Count: 220

New provinces:
  • Provence - Provence
  • Hesse - Hessen, Nassau, Kassel.
  • Aragon - Ancona.

Next time: Chapter 21 - Stalking the elusive victory (below)

Last edited:
For the bavaria thing once I had to edit my game to be able to attack some nomads with said bug! quite annoying.
You dispatched a lot of the rebels in 8 months, but there are more waiting outside ...

@the.ront: Huh? France? No need to feel sorry for them. I have yet to even enter a single one of their provinces!

@ATBKING: I dunno... I only really find the bugs to be frustrating. I actually stayed up most of the night and played through the TSC all at once. I think the key is having reasonable expectations, and I would certainly be surprised if we got through this without losing any provinces at all. :)

@sprites: It may look that way, but I have actually hardly killed any of them! The main strategy so far has just been to simply uproot as many as possible, especially the smaller ones. Most of them are just all grouped up now.

@anweRU: Maybe so, but a TSC is going to be like a right of passage for our new khans from now on. Khalil got off easy! It's also really unlikely we will get another khan lasting 50 years any time soon, so lots more rebels to come! :)

Of course! EU4 would have to be instantly better in every aspect for me to abandon EU3 completely, and even then I would simply set this game up to continue on in EU4. That's very unlikely to happen though, so I wouldn't worry about it! :happy:

Edit: I should mention that you guys are also doing a lot to keep this thing going. I enjoy hearing your thoughts and it inspires me to do even more! I certainly encourge people to post their thoughts, even if it's just to say you're enjoying it. :happy:

Last edited:
@revolter: They are to some extent. More than my vassals are, at least. But in general they don't really care unless the rebels are on their border despite being allies. You can't rely on the AI for this sort of thing. :(

@the.ront: Well first we have to deal with these rebels, but then I've no doubt France will be back to their old tricks!

Chapter 21 - Stalking the elusive victory​

While Europe is still a complete mess, most places closer to home are a lot more organised. Rebels are being rounded up into a single province so attrition can do its work. As a result the rebels are shrinking far more rapidly than we would have been able to manage on our own, to be sure.

Timurid587.jpg~original

The Teutonic Order is also occupied to a large extent, which has done wonders for keeping our prestige from falling too far. We have no real interest in expanding in this direction however, so we leave them to liberate what they will. The rebels are far more important for right now.

Timurid589.jpg~original

The Pisan rebels are still wildly out of control however and the situation turns dire when they begin to threaten our still recovering army in the area. With no hope for victory and nowhere to retreat to, it's clear the only option left to us is to play our trump card.

Timurid590.jpg~original

By far the most powerful tool in our rebel quelling arsenal, we are able to placate the entire faction of rebels with some hard earned concessions. 20 years of total autonomy is a heavy price to pay, especially with the massive loss of prestige when we really need it the most, but it sure is better than being overwhelmed and losing the land completely.

Timurid591.jpg~original

Sadly, it can only be done once every 5 years so it's now even more important that we keep the rebels contained. Even in the provinces granted autonomy there is still a decent chance that more rebellions will break out. We can only hope we haven't used it too early.

Timurid592.jpg~original

We finally make it to the halfway point in the TSC. Timurid is starting to look a lot better, but with rebels still appearing in huge numbers each month we will have to be quick about responding to new arrivals. Currently the greatest threat are the rebels from Tirol, having captured a lot of Austria's old land.

Timurid595.jpg~original

Some very happy news arrives hailing the submission of Aragon's final province in Italy. No longer will we have to worry about their armies arriving to threaten us, and we are now that much closer to the capture of Rome itself.

Timurid597.jpg~original

Naturally, our very happy news is quickly countered with yet another disaster. Another pretender army has gathered and this time it's in our capital. This effectively cuts the land route to every single province outside of Asia, once again crippling our economy. To make matters worse, it will take at least several months for our nearest army to make its way over.

Timurid598.jpg~original

Our cash reserves are once again starting to become a problem and minting has had to be restarted, but the end of the year is drawing near so we just have to hold out for a little longer. Attrition has done most of the heavy lifting up to this point, but from now on it will be mostly up to us to finish the rebels off. It is rather monotonous work and little of interest happens besides the occasional new province submitting.

Timurid599.jpg~original

We make it to the end of the year without too much hassle, but rebels are still appearing constantly and we really need to start getting a handle on them. The TSC won't last forever, and when it ends we will no doubt have plenty of new countries eagerly invading our borders.

Timurid601.jpg~original

Despite our best efforts, it seems we were far too late in laying a siege in Naxos. The country manages to break free, resetting our core, and all the remaining Byzantine rebels have now switched to the Byzantine army. The only good news is that at least our sieges are not reset, so if we can crush their new army then they shall fall back into our grasp soon enough.

Timurid606.jpg~original

Going into a TSC with provinces already controlled by rebels is quite dangerous indeed. It only takes 36 months before a province captured by nationalist rebels will start to roll for their freedom, and if they are successful they will bring along any other provinces captured by the same rebel faction.

It's not longer after when the biggest TSC Timurid has ever faced reaches its end with minimal losses on our part. There is still much to be done and many provinces to be liberated, but our economy is now able to return to where it once was and minting is turned up to max to make full use of it after scraping by for so long. In the end we only managed to drop 0.1 inflation, but it could have been much, much worse if we had had to mint during the TSC.

Timurid611.jpg~original

Of course, our troops wouldn't dream of relaxing yet, for that was just the warm up. Now that the TSC has ended border wars begin anew and this time they will be coming for us all at once. France takes their place at the head of the invasion and there shall be no backing down this time. The real test of our might is about to begin!

Timurid612.jpg~original

Province Count: 232

New provinces:
  • Aragon - Siena, Pisa.
  • Lorraine - Metz.
  • Ansbach - Ansbach.
  • Teutonic Order - Ostpreussen, Stettin, Warmia, Samogitia, Riga.
  • Magdeburg - Altmark.
  • Brunswick - Brunswick.
  • Mazovia - Torun.
  • Mecklenburg - Mecklenburg.
  • Austria - Sundgau.

Provinces lost:
  • Byzantine - Naxos, Morea.

Next time: Chapter 22 - Undaunted (below)

Last edited:
Naxos will hurt as they were quite close to core :/
Otherwise , good job!
a bit of negociation have done wonders for the most important rebel group ...

@trekfan: They may be the first but I get the feeling that they won't be the last. :(

@sprites: They still had a good 30 years or so to go I believe. Naxos was the very last island I captured in the area. It is a shame though because the islands are always going to be a pain until they core.

I did kind of see it coming however. It was a real toss up between giving concessions to Byzantine or Pisa. In the end, Pisa was just way too out of control. :(

I think it was a correct decision, Pisa would have swarmed you with a huge western tech army and instantly strong economy, Byz is a major annoying with those delayed cores but not even a threat since you're already sieging them and they only have, what, 6 tax overall right now they will probably even bankrupt before you can squish their remaining armies. Even with Thrace, Byz would not have been as bad as Pisa (although that's a core you really don't want to delay, of course)

@yequr: Oh, for sure. I probably could have finished off the rebels in time, but I would have a lost a heap more provinces. Plus it could have been very troublesome to recapture them.

@Dauth: Do you mean who's emperor of the HRE? It's still Bavaria, though they are likely to lose it once their king dies.

Chapter 22 - Undaunted​

Much like when we first started out, we find ourselves surrounded by enemies who have already begun to invade our borders. This time however we still have rebels running rampart throughout Europe, and we won't be able to start any major campaigns until they are dealt with.

Before any of that though, we have some magistrates to use.

Timurid613.jpg~original

We also find ourselves having to settle a petty military dispute. The choice is easy; We have always relied heavily on our forts. The loss of stability is quite a pain, though.

Timurid615.jpg~original

A few months after Byzantine foolishly broke free, the fort in Naxos is broken. Now we just need to wait for it to submit once again.

Timurid617.jpg~original

France is invading in huge numbers, but they are already starting to take some nasty attrition. There is little we can do about it for now but hope our forts can hold out until we have some troops to spare.

Timurid618.jpg~original

We also gain our next newly born heir, Abû Sâ'id. He is a bit lacking on potential, but we are used to such things by now. It could be worse, after all, but hopefully one of these days we will get a khan that knows the meaning of administrating.

Timurid619.jpg~original

Sadly our hopes for France to stall have been dashed when Sundgau takes only several months to crumble. France wastes no time in sending forth their colonists to try to capture the province, and we are still nowhere near being able to send troops over.

Timurid621.jpg~original

The various tiny states to the north are also invading, but they find themselves unable to stop us taking the last of our captured provinces in the area. They are of little concern to us right now, but hopefully soon we will be able to establish a siege of Lubeck for that CoT.

Timurid625.jpg~original

We finally manage to get some troops over to the border with France, but they find themselves with little they can do but watch Sundgau defect. It seems France used all 5 of their colonists to take it as quickly as possible, so at least further provinces will take longer for them to grab.

Timurid627.jpg~original

Teutonic Order provinces are submitting quickly and it's not long before the last of their southern coastal provinces are in our hands. With the rest of the provinces we managed to capture from them under siege, now might be a decent time to just grab some quick prestige while we can.

Timurid630.jpg~original

Things are starting to look better for our forces, with most of the left over rebels now wiped out and many provinces reclaimed. Our list of hostile sieges even all fit on the screen at once! We also manage to get an invasion into Lubeck and one on its way into Rome. It's not all good news however, as Tirol manages to break free with several provinces and France is pushing even further into our territory.

Timurid632.jpg~original

Of course, it's not even a single month after Tirol had broken free that their fortress falls to our troops. No doubt the other two are soon to follow.

Timurid633.jpg~original

Despite more rebellions constantly appearing throughout our European holdings, we can't afford to avoid France any longer. It is time we brought the fight to them directly and hopefully we will be able to stop them from picking up any more provinces.

Timurid635.jpg~original

France shall finally be properly introduced to the horde.

Province Count: 234

New provinces:
  • Teutonic Order - Memel, Danzig, Vorpommern, Hinterpommern.
  • Mainz - Mainz
  • Frankfurt - Frankfurt

Provinces lost:
  • France - Sundgau
  • Tirol - Tirol, Krain, Graz.

Next time - Chapter 23 - As the World Watches On

Last edited: