• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I bought the game, I spent hours being on pause on day one, looking at all features, trying things out and reading the tooltips. After that, I still had to grasp many things regarding inheritance, vassal management, military expansion, etc.

Especially if you didn´t play the first part or other Paradox titles like Europa Universalis, you will need some time to really enjoy the game.

I get the impression that this game i too difficult to play with
There is a lack of a decent tutorial from the developers of this game : i don't know how they play their own invented game ?

Perhaps better organised screens what gives vital related information ?
Difficult to trace down why the game is not doing what you are aspecting it should do
It revolves all about claims .. better handling of this in the game to get s a idea what direction you are going
Well with one button win the game is also boring :rolleyes:
So i don't know what i must think of this game..get all the time alerts ..than the second son in the heritage ( his father and his brother are dead ) has a poor council ..uplifting this again.
I don't have the feeling that i control something, but all the time answering the alerts ..

How long have you dedicated to learning the mechanics of the game?
I've learned that this game is ALL about control and knowing what you're doing.

So now you imply that while there are some people who don't cheat, they really do cheat slightly and just lie about it. :p

... Not quite. Playing without reloading is totally fine with me, but even one = cheat in my book. So there´s no such thing as "people who don´t cheat, but cheat slightly". Either you cheat, or you don´t, but can cheat a bit, or a LOT.

I´ll take poker as an example. Even one "reload" (that is, taking a new card) could be the difference between winning or losing a million dollars. It´s the same thing here, and the more you reload the more trivial the game becomes.

Thanks God EU IV will have an Ironman mode. Maybe this could be added as a feature for this one as well.

Last edited:
Thanks..enough food for thoughts.
I never played a game like this before and it looks like a role-playing game
Unfortanely i did not yet succeed to extend my demense (domain) either by claim on a independant county or on dejure realm.

On this way i feel some satisfaction of the time spent..but it s not the case so the challence will be this for the coming time

No its not dude over 90% i calculate is cheaters reloaders which is cheating. Or exploiters !!

Iron man mode i want as a dlc for CK2! I play by my own house rules kind of my own iron mode settings. =)

Said there are lots of those, not that EVERYONE is.

Also, one reload at a critical point can make such a big difference in the game and for the player that IMO even one reload IS a cheat. Example, failed assassination attempt > title revogation by liege, or super-heir dead by disease, but there are many others. So it depends on what is the definition of cheating and save-reload scumming for you. I´m quite strict.

Save and reload is only for training purpose i think..once playing and you get your desired path than you must face your decisions..game over ..haha

All PAradox games have steep learning curves. It´s ok to fail a bit initially :)

Also, don´t bother looking at "Look at the size of mah Empire!" threads as these are full of cheaters and "reloaders". So don´t feel bad if you don´t have those huge blobs - play the game for fun.

Don't bother listening to Beaga - he's one of those "I'm terrible at this game and don't understand how anyone could do better" people.

The fact is this game is utterly simplistic. There's just a lot of hidden information. Once you know where all the important tooltip info is, it's pretty trivial. I NEVER reload, use cheats, or even ruler designer. Of course every expansion has introduced more broken mechanics than the ones before it, so the game has been getting steadily easier since release, too.

How long have you dedicated to learning the mechanics of the game?
I've learned that this game is ALL about control and knowing what you're doing.

That is a good point!.. knowing what you can do.
This feeling i do have for instance when i do have a chancellor what is he capable of and for whom.
I get the feeling that i don't know all ins and outs of the game

Ascertain the situation where you as ruler in can be involved
You must exactly know in what kind of situation you are ?: as liege..as vasal to name something

It revolves all about me as ruler in this game..
For instance it seems that i cannot initiate directly a battle on undependant county ( this county has liege probably with a big army because it is a ducy )
It seems to when i pressed a strong claim than i can go directly in battle..there is no random generator in the game what prevents that a county start his army ?, suppose i reload the game as i read here on the forum.
I must play further..and try to find out why it is not working as i expected

Last edited:
Start in an easy region first to learn the mechanics.. Ireland in 1066 is one of the easier regions so give that a try.

The more you play you learn pretty quickly what "Not" to do and the rest kinda just rolls on from there. Don't expect to be a master in a week. Follow the forum and u pick up some useful tips.

Claims will come from fabrication but the best ones are inherited from parents. Marry well, educate heirs yourself and expect to fail sometimes.

Patience... It's not too hard, it just takes time to get used to. Or better yet run away now cause once your hooked, every spare minute is dedicated to this game. You find sleep difficult as your planning ur next campaign. It's an addiction..

Meh, for me it is kind of too easy when you know how to play :p

I agree. If you bar the occational 'malchance', it's actually very easy to "rise up to king/emperor level". Then again, the game should be about roleplaying the character. Mods like Balance actually force you to roleplay from a certain point of view, which is good.

That said, it takes about a full day (at least in my case) until one is fully aware of all the different features.

Vanilla CK2 is easier than modern FPS games. Kind of silly.

In CK2 you swim or you sink, that means you either play until you start understanding things or you give up. Suit yourself, it's your choice honestly.

The tutorial helped me a good bit, atleast with basics. Then I played, I lost , I was stupid. After a week or two I understood pretty much everything. Maybe less I dont know, I got it at release (preorder).

After you play CK2 for a while you will realize it's too easy, so try a mod like Project Balance or CK2+.

Don't bother listening to Beaga - he's one of those "I'm terrible at this game and don't understand how anyone could do better" people.

The fact is this game is utterly simplistic. There's just a lot of hidden information. Once you know where all the important tooltip info is, it's pretty trivial. I NEVER reload, use cheats, or even ruler designer. Of course every expansion has introduced more broken mechanics than the ones before it, so the game has been getting steadily easier since release, too.

Good trolling attempt. No I´m not terrible at the game and yes there are SOME people (not everyone) who cheat and reload and then post screenshots. Get off your high horse. If the best you can do are personal insults then don´t bother.

There was this guy in Vicky 2 who posted a huge blob, and didn´t tell he edited the game to allow researching stuff ahead of time - people eventually noticed. Just a recent example that is on the forum there.

I had a harder time figuring out HoI3 than I did CK2. I still can't get my command structure properly organized in that game.....

At first I thought "OK, someone a bit too aggressive to make his point, who cares". Then I realize that it´s you who told me about a year ago that a post of mine was the most stupid thing you read on the forum. It was a thread regarding Jihads being overpowered and me stating that Jihads should be disabled unless there is a crusade first. I added something like "Islam responded to the cruelty of the crusades with more cruelty". Back then, you didn´t have an Israel avatar though iirc, haha.

Seriously though, you mess with people that try to improve the historical accuracy of the game and at the same time you call this game ridiculous from a historical perspective... I think you are just a very rude person...How do you even manage to not get warned/banned or something?

I had a harder time figuring out HoI3 than I did CK2. I still can't get my command structure properly organized in that game.....

Oh yeah, I attempt to tackle that beast now and then, and always end up lost. I think my problem is I try to play something small to make it "easier", but I think my problem is that it's hard to really *do* much when you have such a small amount of leadership and industrial power.

Actually, doing optimal command structure is ALMOST cheesy in that game, simply because the AI is so bad at it. It gives the player a huge advantage.

I've spent hours paused, reorganizing my army, and then most of the game boils down to just watching them conquer everything. You know something is broken when you can easily conquer Japan as China in the 1930s. Offtopic though. :)

But yeah, as I've argued before, Paradox games are not really "hard." They just hide all the information and mechanics to make it seem complicated. Once you know, for example, all the things that affect vassal/liege relations, it's pretty trivial to avoid pissing people off and manage them effectively. You do get the occasional early death and 3-year old imbecile ruler, but that's rare and easy to avoid usually.

On the other hand, the AI is completely incompetent at handling things. I did a Khazaria game where I conquered the whole ERE and Carpathia plus various parts of Italia. Had it organized perfectly. Went into observe mode. The first thing the AI does is create 13 new ducal titles to hold for itself. Instant independence revolts everywhere because the AI emperor has -130 "too many held duchies" with every vassal. Holds them for years. I mean, how is such a dumb AI any challenge to a competent player at all? It's not.

I have started not long ago myself so let me give you tips I used:

1. Youtube. There are some playthroughts, commentaries, guides etc. there. Some quite entertaining. Just find something up to date where author bothers to explain stuff (can;t find any links now, but it shouldn't be hard, especially now, right after new patch.

2. http://ckiiwiki.com It doesn;t have all the answers, but a lot of them. Most of them are up to date too.

3. User created manual: http://www.mediafire.com/download/dgunp8ut6yj9cyi/ck2_manual.pdf Someone linked it the other day, and from what i've saw it's not too long and not too specific, but contains p. much everything you need to know mechanic wise.

4. Do NOT start as a part of France, Holy Roman Empire or anything like that. Its terrible idea. Really, really awful one for the begginer (I tried it myself when i was starting). On top of taking care of your own realm you need to worry about empire politics etc. Sensory overload at its finest.

5. Start in 1066 as a King of Poland. I tried it just after new patch and after recent changes it is in my opionion easiest thing the game has to offer atm (oddly enough pagan changes made it way easier). Why? Thats why:
- You are independent
- You are p. much biggest fish in the pond around you t the start. HRE doesn;t count, they are busy elsewere. Just dont poke the bear and you will be fine.
- Your king is godlike killing machine. He's also quite young so you have a lot of time to use his goldlikeness and secure your realm.
- You have decent demesne and with the death of your childless brother you will easily get close to the cap. Just get the claim on that pesky Archbishop of Sacz.
- You have multiple ways of expanding. You can go for weak north-east pagans; Ruthenian dukes, other middle europe kingdoms, try to go all Habsburg and mariage the shit our of everyone. Oprions are limitless.

Status
Not open for further replies.