+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Europa Universalis IV: Developer diary 34 - Unit Interface and more

Studio Manager Paradox Dev Team Johan's Avatar
    Crusader Kings II

Blog Entries

Europa Universalis IV: Developer diary 34 - Unit Interface and more

Welcome to the 34th development diary. Today we'll talk about our changes to the unit interface, and also give you two small bonus snippets. This is a rather shot development diary, due to the fact of the holidays this week, and I got a lot off things to do today on Eu4.

Changes to Unitview
    First of all, we've taken a hard look at how to make the interface more streamlined and userfriendly.

The top part of the unitview, that is shown when you got multiple units selected, or while you are sieging or in combat, allows for instant interactability. You can easily see where your army is moving, its morale, leader and amount of troops. Here you can instantly split the unit in two, detach a force large enough to siege the current hostile fort, or load an army into a ship.

We have also added some quick shortcuts, if you click on the unittype icons and you can detach all subunits of that type into a new units.

In the detailed unitinformation part, you have the following options.
    - Create Unit : Lets you reorganise regiments between two units.
    - Detach all Mercenaries: Creates a new unit containing all mercenaries only. (Only for armies)
    - Attach/Detach Unit: Allows you to have coalition armies & navies moving together.
    - Consolidate Regiments: Merges understrength regiments of the same type. (Only for armies)
    - Patrol: Lets Navies move the current path back and forth repeatedly. (only for navies)
    - Protect Trade: Makes the fleet steer trade in a tradenode (only for navies)
    - For armies, there are also the orders for Force March, Attack Natives, Scorch Earth, Burn Colony, Seize Colony & Hunt Rebels.

Abilities now requiring Power
    Some abilities related to units now require military power to be used.
    - Assault requires 2 MP.
    - Scorch Earth also requires 2 MP.
    - Seize a Colony costs 25MP and can not be used on non-colonies, so natives are safer.
    - Burn Colony costs 5 MP.
    - Attack Natives cost 5 MP, and is the only way to possibliy eliminate them, as defeating them in a normal uprising does not work anymore.

As some of you recognise on this screen.. Navies have flags and Armies have shields, as requested here

Bonus #1 - Force March
    This is a new concept we added for EUIV. When you get all the ideas in the offensive ideagroup, the finisher gives you the ability to force march. When you toggle that on a unit, it will move 50% faster, but every province it moves will cost you 2 MP. If the army is forced to retreat, it will automatically be toggled off.

This together with the fact that each point of manuever moves an army 5% faster, can make a player that focus on it, able to get some really fast moving armies.

Bonus #2 - Berber Ideas
    Algiers, Morocco, Tunis, Fez & Tripoli all share an ideagroup in EU4, which we call the Berber National Ideas...

They start with +200% cost of core creation on their territory and -10% ship costs.
    1. Barbarary Pirates : +33% Naval Force Limits
    2. Desert Warfare: -33% Land Attrition
    3. Trans-Saharan Trade: +10% Trade Income
    4. Corsairs: +1 Navy Tradition
    5. Tuareg Cavalry: +10% Cavalry Power
    6. Dual Diplomacy: +2 Diplomatic Upkeep
    7. Brothers Barbaross: +20% Galley Power
    When they have all their ideas they get +10% trade power. This creates an interesting mechanic where they can be good naval nation, with a deterrent for all who wish to attack them.

Europa Universalis IV will release on August 13th,
    PREORDER IT NOW!
    http://www.europauniversalis4.com/buy

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	eu4_31.png‎
Views:	27245
Size:	2.56 MB
ID:	82634  
    Last edited by Regina; 07-06-2013 at 10:29.

Johan Andersson
    Studio Manager at Paradox Development Studio AB - Follow me at Twitter!

"A patch is never late! Nor is it ever early. It arrives precisely when I mean it to do!"

For our Patching and Expansion Policy, read here...

Read here why EU4 requires steam!

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesHearts of Iron III500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Noice! Good timing i just came on to look at a DD. That's Service!

55 games registered

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the Americas
    Darkest HourDeus VultDungeonlandEast India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis 3
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineKing Arthur IILeviathan: Warships
    The Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Pirates of Black CoveRome GoldSemper FiSengokuSword of the Stars
    Sword of the Stars IIThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the RosesPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    Crusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India

Excellent.

As some of you recognise on this screen.. Navies have flags and Armies have shields, as requested here
    Wow. So those petitions actually do work sometimes

Ship Simulator Extremes

Every ounce of reasoning inside me shouts "do not preorder a Paradox game!"

Yet my mind demands that I have it! These dev diaries are dangerous.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineKing Arthur II
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

PREORDER IT NOW!
    Done.

Quote Originally Posted by DDRJake View Post
    Every ounce of reasoning inside me shouts "do not preorder a Paradox game!"

Yet my mind demands that I have it! These dev diaries are dangerous.
    Why not? CK2 was very good on release.

PREORDER IT NOW!
    No need to shout, really... Done already...

Your Friendly Dictator Grubnessul's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultDiplomacyDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaMajesty 2EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Sword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
    Crusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
    Crusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Way of Life

Banished to the 8th circle of Hell after mentioning rule 34 to Canonized
    Split in half has gone? Although it's similar to creating a new unit, it's a neat option to reduces micro.
    "History is form of cybersex!"
    EvilSanta
    "Please, call me Grubby"
    - General Schenkhuizen, Timeslines: What if Spain failed to control the world?
    There might be Vikings out there! Or: How I accidentally traded my wife for a halibut (pining for the Fjords since I lost my USB and the save game)

Patriotism leads to nationalism, nationalism leads to racism, racism leads to suffering...

Quote Originally Posted by Grubnessul View Post
    Split in half has gone? Although it's similar to creating a new unit, it's a neat option to reduces micro.
    Here you can instantly split the unit in two, detach a force large enough to siege the current hostile fort, or load an army into a ship.
    I think that's the first icon, next to the attrition number.

Your Friendly Dictator Grubnessul's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultDiplomacyDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaMajesty 2EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Sword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
    Crusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
    Crusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Way of Life

Banished to the 8th circle of Hell after mentioning rule 34 to Canonized
    Quote Originally Posted by stilgarpl View Post
    I think that's the first icon, next to the attrition number.
    I am not sure how I missed that o.O
    "History is form of cybersex!"
    EvilSanta
    "Please, call me Grubby"
    - General Schenkhuizen, Timeslines: What if Spain failed to control the world?
    There might be Vikings out there! Or: How I accidentally traded my wife for a halibut (pining for the Fjords since I lost my USB and the save game)

Patriotism leads to nationalism, nationalism leads to racism, racism leads to suffering...

Quote Originally Posted by Johan View Post
    PREORDER IT NOW!
    You had me at improved network code, old boy. The rest is just gravey. Or bun sprinkling.

- do not meddle in the affairs of GMs for they are abusive and quick to anger -

"...Slauron had become wise and strong and cruel. All feared him and the torment he wrought. He was a powerful GM-tyrant who could change into many forms and could appear fair and pleasing if he wished. Slauron created campaigns by imprisoning dreadful spirits in the bodies of terrible threads. Another of his minions was the vampire Hive, whom Slauron used as a messenger..."

Studio Manager Paradox Dev Team Johan's Avatar
    Crusader Kings II

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Slargos View Post
    You had me at improved network code, old boy. The rest is just gravey. Or bun sprinkling.
    Spiced buns? Cinnamon for extra 0.50sek? :P

Johan Andersson
    Studio Manager at Paradox Development Studio AB - Follow me at Twitter!

"A patch is never late! Nor is it ever early. It arrives precisely when I mean it to do!"

For our Patching and Expansion Policy, read here...

Read here why EU4 requires steam!

Spiced buns? Cinnamon for extra 0.50sek? :P
    Johan, how much for Bun Music Pack?

Quote Originally Posted by stilgarpl View Post
    Johan, how much for Bun Music Pack?
    "The Sounds of Yeaster" $25. Performed by Joculatores Upsaliensis.

"...Slauron had become wise and strong and cruel. All feared him and the torment he wrought. He was a powerful GM-tyrant who could change into many forms and could appear fair and pleasing if he wished. Slauron created campaigns by imprisoning dreadful spirits in the bodies of terrible threads. Another of his minions was the vampire Hive, whom Slauron used as a messenger..."

Is there any reason not to use forced march to race a stack you've defeated to the province its retreating to so you can wipe it out? This makes it seem like taking the offensive idea group is going to be mandatory for survival in multiplayer.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneMagicka
    March of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: The Republic
    Crusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: CharlemagneEUIV: Art of War

what is that star shield under the date?

Quote Originally Posted by bthomas View Post
    what is that star shield under the date?
    CK2 style notifiers?

Son of a .....Wow its beautiful. I wish its already August. I have to go through finals to play this

Quote Originally Posted by Jia Xu View Post
    Is there any reason not to use forced march to race a stack you've defeated to the province its retreating to so you can wipe it out? This makes it seem like taking the offensive idea group is going to be mandatory for survival in multiplayer.
    Quite a few reasons.
    One of them is the stack that is retreating could retreat quite deep into it's own territory, and you don't normally have vision there, if you get there a month before it even arrives other stacks of armies could have already wiped you out with the assistance of attrition on their side, before you even get to fire on that retreating army.

[*]Desert Warfare: -33% Land Attrition
    Does this apply everywhere? IMO it would make more sense for it to apply only in deserts?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast