• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I for one can't wait to get discriminated against and achieve some sweet payback and try and enforce my modern day thinking a few centuries earlier.

Um, it's not enforcing modern day thinking on the old ages.

People back then didn't place strict differences on racial lines and the like. It was religious, and said line was often blurred because of various political realities, etc.

The fact that we're not allowed to marry people of other religions outright is not historically accurate. Allowing people, with a set -2 or something, is.

As far as I know, that feature is not in the vanilla game.

Haven't seen that either.

Of course, come to think of it, character-plots only have one option in them, and that's to assassinate them. Some more plots would really help the game quite a bit.

Count me in. Pagan Grand Duke Gediminas, married off his daughters to Catholic and Orthodox rulers. His Pagan sons also married Orthodox princesses. Pagan Grand Duke Jogaila married Catholic queen and became the King of Poland. Now reality was that Pagan spouses were baptised most of the time. It does not mean though that they abandoned their faith though. I know that there were Muslim and Catholic marriages too.
Well, and Jogaila came under fire for his alleged 'false baptism' from Teutonic Knights.

And this sort of backlash - 'you married hag who no doubt didn't have any stillborn children! - she just sacrificed your son to Odin! And she teaches your issues pagan rites! Down with you, you pagan-lover!' - is something I would love to have in game. Interfaith marriage block is not.

I am having my first serious game as pagans at the moment. One thing I can't get grasp is what are the rules for marriages between different pagans?

I am Suomenusko. Sometimes I can marry myself or my courtiers to other pagans but not always? I have been allied to Tengri Hungary but not have been able to have alliance with Romuva Lithuania or Norse Sweden. Is it just the sum of pluses and minuses? Like when there are mysterious "political concerns", "prestige effects" and stuff? It still says "Must not marry an infidel"...

Thread +1

I am having my first serious game as pagans at the moment. One thing I can't get grasp is what are the rules for marriages between different pagans?

I am Suomenusko. Sometimes I can marry myself or my courtiers to other pagans but not always? I have been allied to Tengri Hungary but not have been able to have alliance with Romuva Lithuania or Norse Sweden. Is it just the sum of pluses and minuses? Like when there are mysterious "political concerns", "prestige effects" and stuff? It still says "Must not marry an infidel"...

Are those faiths reformed?

Are those faiths reformed?

No, only the Tengri are reformed and I can occasionally marry with them (they were already reformed when I secured a marriage alliance with them. I have been able to marry some Norse Jarl families but not with my rank (king). And to emphasize, my faith, Suomenusko is not reformed.

Vassals and courtiers in the realm occasionally marry Norse and Slavic, and it was more common when there were vassals of all three faiths (Slavic, Suomenusko and Norse, with Norse or Slavic as the top liege).

The way it works between pagans is how it should work for all religions. Basically pagans are allowed to marry people of different pagan religions, but they get a significant penalty. It is difficult, but not impossible. If you add the intermarry clause to all the pagan religions, then it removes the penalty completely and marriage works normally.

The way it works between pagans is how it should work for all religions. Basically pagans are allowed to marry people of different pagan religions, but they get a significant penalty. It is difficult, but not impossible. If you add the intermarry clause to all the pagan religions, then it removes the penalty completely and marriage works normally.

To all religions? Did you managed to make interarry parameter work?

A huge +1 for me as well. Just about the most gamebreaking change that could have been made for me. Playing as my Tengri ancestors much of the map is now either invade, be invaded by, or ignore, with far less room for historically accurate alliances and intrigue.
An idea to add a little flavor with regards to that, perhaps give Zealous characters an opinion penalty against someone who's married outside the faith.

It's kind of annoying that even Orthodox people now seem impossible to marry to Catholics....

I think there should be a "false religion" negative modifier, but not -5 or so where they are unwilling to agree to any proposal.

Before the 1.10 patch, I used to bring major dynasties' last members to my court, and give them a title so that their dynasties don't die out.

So my biggest issue with generalizing "Must not marry an infidel" to everyone living in a court where the ruler has a different religion group, is that I can't save anymore the Capet dynasty (for example) when they loose their last title...

This happened to me. In one of my games in which the Norse and Muslims pretty much conquered the world, I was unable to save the last Orthodox in the world, a young 19yo woman, because of this.

A huge +1 for me as well. Just about the most gamebreaking change that could have been made for me. Playing as my Tengri ancestors much of the map is now either invade, be invaded by, or ignore, with far less room for historically accurate alliances and intrigue.
An idea to add a little flavor with regards to that, perhaps give Zealous characters an opinion penalty against someone who's married outside the faith.
Well, right now your interactions with all people of different faiths are those of war. And this is IMHO exact opposite of the direction things should go in - like meaningful interaction of different faiths. They were not always enemies.

(and granted, there are other forms of meaningful interaction than marriages, but then - it's not like devs are willing to give us e.g. alliances without marriage or etc)

There is some wiggle room for new traits too.

Zealous can stay - and if your liege is zealous, there's a good chance that he may not let courtiers or vassals marry outside the faith.
Pragmatic leaders, on the other hand, may arrange extra-faith marriages with no relationship penalty between him and the courtier/vassal.

+1. I want my Muslim Caliph to be able to marry the daughter of the Byzantine Emperor!

Historically the Tengri Cumans intermarried with the Catholic Hungarians and Southern Slavs. And the Iberians intermarried with the Moors quite frequently. I agree that the intermarrying should have a range to it, because making it a flat out no, is neither fun nor realistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.