• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Emperor Michael VIII married off a bastard daughter to an Il Khan
Georgia had a number of princesses marry Seljuks - Rusudan aunt of Queen Thamar was married to Sultan Sanjar and his successor.

Thamar's daughter Queen Rusudan married a Seljuk prince. Their daughter Thamar was married off to the Seljuk Sultan.

The Empire of Trebizond married off princesses to get help notably at the end of the game time frame Theodora to Uzun Hasan

John VI of Byzantium married off his daughter Theodora to the Ottoman Orhan.

The 867 scenario starts with a couple of Iberian princesses with Ummayad husbands

As far as I know, there was even more cases in Iberia, with Christian lords intermarrying with Taifas. Not to mention the numerous cases where Christian (either from "native" Christian populations, like Franks, or converts) marrying pagan lords and being the tool to bring Christianity to pagan lands, often convincing the husband to convert. Commonplace in the British Isles, Scandinavia, Eastern Europe.

Please, devs... remove this absurd limitation... I stopped playing CK2 because of it ...

In my last game, while I was playing as a catholic king of Croatia, a whole tengri mongol tribe dropped by my court without any invitation... and I couldn't even marry them back into courts of tengri mongol rulers!

If anything, this limitation should only affect zealous characters...

We're still waiting for you to change this back the way it were! This is really annoying and limiting, i don't understand why you guys insist on forcing this on everybody. :sad:

We're still waiting for you to change this back the way it were! This is really annoying and limiting, i don't understand why you guys insist on forcing this on everybody. :sad:

Well, there's always the next patch...

I suppose, this is the "break period" for Crusader Kings 2 DLC. Unsure when the next patch will arrive. (I figure somebody will quote Johan's signature now...)

I haven't read the entire 15 pages, so sorry if this has been asked or an answer has posted before, but is there anyway to modify this without going through some complicated process?

I haven't read the entire 15 pages, so sorry if this has been asked or an answer has posted before, but is there anyway to modify this without going through some complicated process?

I highly doubt it. If so, this thread would be about how to do that and not about removing it. I'm pretty sure it's hard-coded.

I'll add my support for removing the interfaith marriage ban, historical justifications for removing it aside its not fun. If the penalties for 'must not marry an infadel' and 'seeks a better alliance' (the other hardcoded betroval wrecking penalty that spoils my scheming) were modable we could tweek our games to what we find realistic and fun.

Unmoddable. That's why it's so outrageous. At the very least, we should be able to tweak these sorts of things. Especially since this is brutally ahistorical, adds no fun to the game, and doesn't seem to fix the intended "problem" anyway (not that I'm certain just what it was meant to "fix").

+1 to support the petition for it to be changed to -3 or -4.

i repeat again WHY was this added? i don't know whats worse that this was a mistake or that this was intentional . who ever was project lead on Old Gods REALLY dropped the ball , no one working on this said "uhh hey this thing you added it wrecks a key part of the game , can you take it out?"

i repeat again WHY was this added? i don't know whats worse that this was a mistake or that this was intentional . who ever was project lead on Old Gods REALLY dropped the ball , no one working on this said "uhh hey this thing you added it wrecks a key part of the game , can you take it out?"

It was probably a deliberate attempt to prevent wife anchoring on infidel title claimants, which some saw as an exploit. They might not have considered the other implications this change has.

I like that they changed it. It was one of the most ridiculous and exploitably gameable things for like a Christian duke in England scoop up and marry an Egyptian Shia princess and her father would be totally cool with that. Faiths in the middle ages mostly hated each other. There might have been some exceptions but "interfaith marriages" do not suit the time period at all. I hope PDX doesn't cave in and change this back. It is much better the way it is now.

If they limited it to "border areas" Spain/Byzantine Empire etc. where it would make sense that those 2 characters might actually meet it would be different but the whole "marriage database" system is ridiculous enough when it's between the same faith . It's probably too complicated for them to limit it to geographically areas where it would actually make some sense though.

Last edited:
I like that they changed it. It was one of the most ridiculous and exploitably gameable things for like a Christian duke in England scoop up and marry an Egyptian Shia princess and her father would be totally cool with that. Faiths in the middle ages mostly hated each other. There might have been some exceptions but "interfaith marriages" do not suit the time period at all. I hope PDX doesn't cave in and change this back. It is much better the way it is now.

If they limited it to "border areas" Spain/Byzantine Empire etc. where it would make sense that those 2 characters might actually meet it would be different but the whole "marriage database" system is ridiculous enough when it's between the same faith . It's probably too complicated for them to limit it to geographically areas where it would actually make some sense though.

Yet despite what you say, several of the above posters have already listed over a dozen interfaith marriages that occurred before, during and after this game's timeline. Sure, interfaith marriages were rarer and harder to achieve, but they were by no means impossible and still happened quite frequently throughout the middle ages, especially in situations where the infidels were leaders of powerful kingdoms/empires and presented themselves as strong allies against mutual enemies. In other cases, these marriages were used to placate heathen/infidel warlords from conquering one's realm, or for establishing trade negotiations. Although yes some of these things were less commonplace or looked down upon by the most zealous individuals and stricter clergy members, they nonethless happened, because like many things in life, few things were entirely absolute.

Yet despite what you say, several of the above posters have already listed over a dozen interfaith marriages that occurred before, during and after this game's timeline. Sure, interfaith marriages were rarer and harder to achieve, but they were by no means impossible and still happened quite frequently throughout the middle ages, especially in situations where the infidels were leaders of powerful kingdoms/empires and presented themselves as strong allies against mutual enemies. In other cases, these marriages were used to placate heathen/infidel warlords from conquering one's realm, or for establishing trade negotiations. Although yes some of these things were less commonplace or looked down upon by the most zealous individuals and stricter clergy members, they nonethless happened, because like many things in life, few things were entirely absolute.

If you re-read what I wrote, I'm not saying it *never* happened. I was saying that the way it happened in the game before was ridiculous and in order to make it not be ridiculous would be very complicated (probably more work than Paradox wants to spend on a relatively minor thing) so I assume they just banned it because it is much closer to the truth than making it as easy and common as it was before.

If you re-read what I wrote, I'm not saying it *never* happened. I was saying that the way it happened in the game before was ridiculous and in order to make it not be ridiculous would be very complicated (probably more work than Paradox wants to spend on a relatively minor thing) so I assume they just banned it because it is much closer to the truth than making it as easy and common as it was before.

Well, they could just change it from a "-IV" modifier to a "-II" modifier or maybe a "-III" modifier for distant infidels and "-II" modifier for bordering infidels, that way making it a harsh, yet not impossible, even for distant infidels if you were powerful/prestigious enough/their liege likes you enough.

Never saw it done by AI. And done by player... Well, if player wants to play marrying Shia Lowborns, let him!

Status
Not open for further replies.