• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
One of the reasons why this limitation is in place for this kingdom, but also some others, is that it is a relatively (or rather quite) small kingdom. In a way it is compromise solution, the Bretons can have their own Breton kingdom, but allowing it for every one would be too easy. For larger kingdoms, there rightfully aren't those extra cultural rules.
Larger kingdoms like Andalusia? :p

You can choose the ambition to become the king of Brittany, though, and it is unchangeable once selected.

This sort of thing is unfortunate and happens to a lot of rulers. There are many titles that require culture groups, such as many of the muslim titles in spain, and if a ruler with norse culture conqueres there and selects that ambition then it is stuck with it. This is awful for the AI since it WILL pick it eventually.

This sort of thing is unfortunate and happens to a lot of rulers. There are many titles that require culture groups, such as many of the muslim titles in spain, and if a ruler with norse culture conqueres there and selects that ambition then it is stuck with it. This is awful for the AI since it WILL pick it eventually.

You know, it's not really the end of the world if a ruler ends his life with 2 less in learning than he might have had otherwise.

You know, it's not really the end of the world if a ruler ends his life with 2 less in learning than he might have had otherwise.

It might make the AI miss out on other ones though, such as: Become Exalted among Men, Become Paragon of Virtue, Have a Son/Daughter, Get Married etc.
Either way, getting locked into an impossible ambition shouldn't just be accepted in the base game. It might as well be a bug.

It might make the AI miss out on other ones though, such as: Become Exalted among Men, Become Paragon of Virtue, Have a Son/Daughter, Get Married etc.
Either way, getting locked into an impossible ambition shouldn't just be accepted in the base game. It might as well be a bug.

It IS a bug.

Even if you can't actually complete the ambition, there are still benefits to choosing it.

Which I think is a bug, too. If my ambition is to Become King of Brittany, why can I magically launch unlimited Subjugation Wars against every other pagan ruler in the known world? Definitely a little silly haha.

Which I think is a bug, too. If my ambition is to Become King of Brittany, why can I magically launch unlimited Subjugation Wars against every other pagan ruler in the known world? Definitely a little silly haha.
Especially when you are the only pagan in Brittany typically anyway. The ambition isn't even completable, and the targets for subjugation wars are outside anywhere near the realm. It's just silly.

I've seen this written quite often, yet I never managed to do it myself. I can subjugate limitless within the de jure borders of the kingdom I want to take, but only once every 10 years everywhere else.

Incidentally I'm going to see if I can win a prepared invasion of France as Nantes sometime. It'd be interesting to see a Norse Francia - since that appears to be the absolute final goal seeing as Norse and Frankish --> Norman and there's plenty more Frankish land to take.

My test game for this expansion (before CK+ is updated) did just this. I hacked the Kingdom of Brittany requirements to allow Norse to create the title and gobbled up Cornwall to give me the two needed duchies - Cornwall is easy to take for a Viking and makes a great addition to Norse Brittany without hitting West Francia right away. After that I built up troop strength through raiding and then prepared for the invasion of West Francia. Wasn't sure how the mechanics would work and I ended up with a war for the Kingdom of Aquitaine (not sure if I got an option to choose which crown to go for or if I just clicked right through it). As luck would have it the King died in battle to me and his hair (the actual King of Aquitaine) inherited. I'd been fighting all the Karlings during the war (with them also fighting each other in some messy wars) so they were all pretty beat up. Another West Frankish king death to my warhost and they capitulated. At the start of the war I was looking at doubling my lands with the duchies of Poitou and Aquitaine but at the end of it I had the entire Kingdom of Aquitaine and Brittany under my control. Couple generations later and I'm King of Ireland and control 75% of France.

That Viking in Nantes is by far my favourite starting character. I'd like to try invading Sicily with him and causing some trouble in he Med.

All I did was when my county of cornwall went norman on me I gave it to my heir who was raised as a norman. When he became king I had a Norman Norse King. Once my new heir is born though Im going to give in a Norse Norse county to bring the blood line back into the norse culture. This is how I got around the culture group bit to form Empire of Brittany.

My test game for this expansion (before CK+ is updated) did just this. I hacked the Kingdom of Brittany requirements to allow Norse to create the title and gobbled up Cornwall to give me the two needed duchies - Cornwall is easy to take for a Viking and makes a great addition to Norse Brittany without hitting West Francia right away. After that I built up troop strength through raiding and then prepared for the invasion of West Francia. Wasn't sure how the mechanics would work and I ended up with a war for the Kingdom of Aquitaine (not sure if I got an option to choose which crown to go for or if I just clicked right through it). As luck would have it the King died in battle to me and his hair (the actual King of Aquitaine) inherited. I'd been fighting all the Karlings during the war (with them also fighting each other in some messy wars) so they were all pretty beat up. Another West Frankish king death to my warhost and they capitulated. At the start of the war I was looking at doubling my lands with the duchies of Poitou and Aquitaine but at the end of it I had the entire Kingdom of Aquitaine and Brittany under my control. Couple generations later and I'm King of Ireland and control 75% of France.

That Viking in Nantes is by far my favourite starting character. I'd like to try invading Sicily with him and causing some trouble in he Med.

I did just that (invading Sicily with him) today. It's insane. It takes some luck, but once the Byzantine Empire is forced out you can conquer you way to Rome in under a decade, and eat away at Italy pretty damn fast too. I jumped from Sicily to Taurica, which my second son may form the Kingdom with if I can get him to be Christian. I suggest embracing Gavelkind when playing as his family, and aiming to give a good inheritance to every son you have, instead of screwing them over. Handing off Brittany to another son and granting them independence is a nice gesture, as it lets them keep pummeling France and expand your dynasty there. They'll go Norman and may go Catholic, but they'll still be kin.

Landed titles:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\crusader kings ii\common\landed_titles

Code:
    k_brittany = {
        color={ 153 54 110 }
        color2={ 255 255 255 }

capital = 105 # Vannes

culture = breton

catholic = 300 # Crusade target weight

allow = {
            culture_group = celtic
            culture = norse
            culture = norman
        }

That would be what I recommend you to put in there. Though from a roleplaying persepctive it'd be better to not put Norse, just Norman and Celtic. You could also put a Norse localisation in too, for flavour.

Maybe it should be the other way around, so allow Norse, but remove Norman. Since those conditions will apply the whole game period; this might seem nice for a 867 game, but for games started in 1066 and later that won't be ideal.

@ Jorlem: unless a ruler with an Arabic culture converts to Christianity, this is basically the only kingdom they can create in this region since (almost all) other Iberian kingdoms require having a religion from the Christian Group; unlike the Christian rulers, who have some options to choose from here, but must adopt Arabic culture, if they want to create that title.

Last edited:
Maybe it should be the other way around, so allow Norse, but remove Norman. Since those conditions will apply the whole game period; this might seem nice for a 867, but for games started in 1066 and later that won't be ideal.

Agreed. Too easy, and too tempting for the Bastard a couple centuries later otherwise.

Add cultural names of

norman = Normandy
norse = Bretland

And all things are made of win.

('Course, Bretland could also, possibly, be Wales or Strathclyde, or made up. But it seems more likely to have been the Norse name for Bretagne)

Maybe it should be the other way around, so allow Norse, but remove Norman. Since those conditions will apply the whole game period; this might seem nice for a 867 game, but for games started in 1066 and later that won't be ideal.

@ Jorlem: unless a ruler with an Arabic culture converts to Christianity, this is basically the only kingdom they can create in this region since (almost all) other Iberian kingdoms require having a religion from the Christian Group; unlike the Christian rulers, who have some options to choose from here, but must adopt Arabic culture, if they want to create that title.

And that means that pagans pretty much can't create any Iberian kingdoms at all, just usurp them from those that have.

Personally, my favored solution would be to override any special requirements so long as the would be title creator controls 100% of the territory.

Anyone else think it's weird that the Kingdom of BRITANNy isn't part of the Empie of BRITTANia?

No, since Brittany was historically tied to the Franks since their arrival.

If your capital is a province with a different culture, you will sometimes get an event that allows you to switch to that culture. I had a very old Norse King of Scotland switch to Scottish in his twilight years, allowing me to form the Empire of Britannia. When he passed on, his descendants all remained Norse.

Really? That's really good to know since I'm in the exact same situation with a Norse King of Scotland.