• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

blklizard

Field Marshal
28 Badges
Mar 7, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Cities in Motion
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • BATTLETECH
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Victoria 2
I just downloaded the Phoenix III mod (almost fresh from the oven) and want to do an AAR that explores this mod. This is my first time and it will be very different from my Steppe Wolf AAR. Given that I've already started my Steppe Wolf AAR, I don't want to play Phoenix III from start to end. Instead, I will do minor campaigns where I play a nation and have one or two short term goals that explore the mechanics.

Difficulty: Easy (exploring mechanics, don't want a challenge just yet :p)
Lucky nations to Random
All other settings default
Mod: Phoenix III

Rules:
-no cheating (including no reloading)
-will only cancel missions if they are impossible
-vassals and personal unions limited to 2 in total
-cannot declare war without a casus belli
-when called in by ally, play an active part in the war

Modifications:

-The above rules only apply to 1. Vikings
-New rules can be found below

Rules (Modified):
-Han Zhao and Umayyads will still be used
-additional nations can be found below (no screenshots will be available for the new additions)
-AAR becomes a storytelling style
-the six nations will play a role in a story (as for how, you will need to read to find out)

1. Vikings

intro1bl.png

Who doesn't want to try as the Vikings? The Western Roman Empire has just fallen and someone need to take their place. The Vikings aren't that greedy. Let them have many coastal lands and they will be quite happy.

Goal:
-Control all of Scandinavia
-Either: invade England (if I can reach there) OR control northern Germany

2. Han Zhao

intro2n.png

3. Umayyads

intro4.png

4. Brazil (1807-1808)

5. South Africa (1881)

Table of Contents:

Vikings

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16

Story

(September 3, 2013 - September 7, 2013)

Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27

(September 8, 2013 - September 9, 2013)

Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40

(September 10, 2013)

Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53

(September 11, 2013)

Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69

(September 12, 2013)

Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80

(September 13, 2013)

Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89

(September 14, 2013 - September 16, 2013)

Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100

Last edited:
Go Vikings in 476!

Han Zhou
But with invading Korea,south east asia and india and even maybe persia as well :p

Does anyone know why this mod has Andorra, San Marino and even Abkhazia (which is only recognised as a country by Russia, Venezuela and a few other countries bribed by Russia too recognise it) but doesn't have Monaco? And it crashes whenever I try to load as a country, I've tried both versions

Last edited:
How about playing as an Islamic caliphate? The Rashiduns or whoever are in an interesting position to conquer much of their known world in the 7th century, so trying to mimic some of their conquests might not be a bad idea - or you could go off the wall and try to conquer somewhere else (I'd say India, but it's been the focal point of 3 of your AARs so far).

I apologize if I'm not clear. I will be playing Vikings, Han Zhou and Portugal to explore the mechanics. In addition, I'm willing to play 3 or 4 more other nations on requests.

@blklizard, do the vikings, it should be fun with the traversible rivers. Does this mean your other AAR is dead?

I will continue my Steppe Wolf AAR so don't worry.

Does anyone know why this mod has Andorra, San Marino and even Abkhazia (which is only recognised as a country by Russia, Venezuela and a few other countries bribed by Russia too recognise it) but doesn't have Monaco? And it crashes whenever I try to load as a country, I've tried both versions

I've haven't crashed when I load a country. You should ask the creators of the mod on their forum. Here's a link: http://air.000space.com/index.php/en/forumm/projects-en

How about playing as an Islamic caliphate? The Rashiduns or whoever are in an interesting position to conquer much of their known world in the 7th century, so trying to mimic some of their conquests might not be a bad idea - or you could go off the wall and try to conquer somewhere else (I'd say India, but it's been the focal point of 3 of your AARs so far).

That's a great suggestion. I will update my first post.

I can't get it too work, I'll just watch you with jealousy.

I'm sorry to hear that. It's rather interesting so far. My first update is here. I will begin with the Vikings.

Vikings

Chapter 1

Time to try out Phoenix III. Let's see what the Vikings have to offer.

Let's first check out the modifiers.

chapter1a.png
chapter1b.png

I doubt I'll be colonizing anytime soon. Age of Antiquity is just not giving me any colonists. I have colonizable lands nearby and I cannot get them :(.

Interesting, I have lots of horses and weapons. I also have access to Linen. I'm curious what other resources exist in the region.

chapter1c.png
chapter1d.png

The king isn't great other than war. Let's see if we can get a war starting anytime soon. The prestige boost from my government looks very nice indeed.

chapter1e.png
chapter1f.png

I have a lot of recruiting to do. I can stay with Viking Horde or change to the better Goth Noble Warriors. I really want to stay with the Viking Horde though :p. My religion is rather interesting too.

chapter1g.png
chapter1h.png

Research efficiency only at 85%. I guess it gets worse with the fact that I'm a Barbarian state. I noticed colonial maintenance and found Alesund with 155 settlers. No colonists means that I will have to wait until it slowly reaches 1000 population. I got so excited I forgot about the first page. Let's see. Aestii is in my sphere while the Saxons, to my south, are my best friends at the moment.

chapter1i.png
chapter1j.png

Attack Saxons is my mission. Seems simple enough. I wonder what 'Court a beautiful lady' does. I will find out when I have more ducats in the treasury. I open decisions for one of my province and I see this. So many choices! Wonder what a 'License to Build' does. I might as well try it since it's 10 ducats.

Do you use Steam? Also, silly question, but did you delete map cache of Vanilla, etc?:D

I use Steam but I heard if you open it from right down in the folders it will work, and I don't even know what the map cache of vanilla is so I don't think I deleted it.

You know... the map/cache folder in the game folder. The original EU3 (not the mod) has its own map/cache folder, and the mod has it's own one (in the mod directory). Sometimes there are errors if you played EU3 Vanilla (the original one, no matter if it's IN, DW, Chronicles, etc.) and then you try to start a mod. The mod creates its own map/world, so you'll have problems with positioning (not sure if this is the most "important" problem you'll face, though). This is why it's better to delete the CONTENT of the map/cache folder of EU3. It will populate this folder without any problems next time you start the original EU3.

I have Steam as well, and had no problems with Phoenix III, except the FIRST TIME I started it, when it crashed at Adapting History when loading a specific country and date. Since then, had NO crashes. I use the .exe in the game folder in the Steam folder, not the Steam client, although not sure if that has any influence.

Looks like I'm doing a poor job with non-narrative. So, I guess I will be going narrative again.

Vikings

Chapter 2

To his dismay, the Jarl finds out that he needed a license to construct buildings. Each license cost 10 ducats and every single province require its own license. The Jarl wasn't happy that he needed a license to build on his own lands. However, he dared not anger his Gods and decided to go along with the idea. The Jarl was in a worse mood when he found out that he cannot start his conquest yet. One of his advisors wished to talk to him about his nation. The Jarl was a man that would rather speak with a blade in his hand than stuck indoors looking over books. Of course, the Jarl was illiterate and that made books that much more boring.

Jarl: What did you want? I was just about to declare war.
Advisor: Good thing I stopped you. We need to check on some great things given to us by the Gods.
Jarl: What do you mean by given to us?
Advisor: Well, we used to only have grain as our primary food source. We have more options now.
Jarl: Like what?
Advisor: Well, we have cows.

chapter2a.png

Jarl: Mmm, pork roast.
Advisor: What? I said cow.
Jarl: Yes, you did. I said pork roast.
Advisor: Pork roast come from pigs, Jarl.

chapter2b.png

Jarl: Do they? Well, I like the taste of them both. Speaking of food, do we have any lambs? I do love lamb chops.
Advisor: We have sheep. Their fleece bring in some income.

chapter2c.png

Jarl: Their fleece make money and their meat is delicious. Sheep is good. Do we have many of them?
Advisor: I'm afraid we have only one province raising sheep.
Jarl: Have more provinces raise them. They are great.
Advisor: It's not that easy, Jarl.
Jarl: Life isn't easy. Is there anything else you want to talk to me about?
Advisor: Yes, we have plenty of horses because we have provinces raising them.
Jarl: Horses are great too. The cavalry strike fear in the enemy's hearts.

chapter2d.png

Advisor: One of our provinces is producing a lot of silver.

chapter2e.png

Jarl: I love silver. They can make any man rich.
Advisor: Indeed, they apparently act like currency like Gold.
Jarl: I need a gold throne, don't you think?
Advisor: We need a gold producing province first.
Jarl: Since we don't have one, I guess we need to conquer one. Where is the nearest one?
Advisor: I don't think we have any nearby.
Jarl: You're such a party pooper.
Advisor: Back to our provinces, we have some wood produced as well.

chapter2f.png

Jarl: Wood is great for building bonfires.
Advisor: We also use wood to build boats.
Jarl: Why didn't you say so earlier? I love boats. Every viking love boats. Don't you agree?
Advisor: Yes, I agree. Next on the list is honey.

chapter2g.png

Jarl: Did you say honey? The sweet stuff?
Advisor: Yes.
Jarl: Where is it? I'm itching for some sweets.
Advisor: For the sake of our nation, I would rather not say. Anyways, we have wax next on the list.

chapter2h.png

Jarl: What is wax good for?
Advisor: Wax is used to make candles. People are happier when there light at night.
Jarl: Who needs a candle when he has the moon?
Advisor: What if there are clouds in the sky?
Jarl: Good point! What's next?
Advisor: Ink.

chapter2i.png

The Jarl runs out of the study quickly before the advisor can start babbling about the importance of ink.

Looks like neither the Jarl or his advisor are very well versed in the concept of trade. Given how resource-focused Phoenix III appears to be, are you planning to conquer to get what you need (outside of what uniting Scandinavia will give you), or are you going to get trading? Either way is technically the Viking way.