• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I hope its not true that this is not being released gamers gate. I understand that after this game paradox isn't releasing any more games through gamers gate but they have chosen to release not only the game but the old gods a dlc that just came out like a week ago already. Therefore if thery are going to support a patch through steam the gamers gate side should get one as well. If we don't thats very poor customer service.

I hope its not true that this is not being released gamers gate. I understand that after this game paradox isn't releasing any more games through gamers gate but they have chosen to release not only the game but the old gods a dlc that just came out like a week ago already. Therefore if thery are going to support a patch through steam the gamers gate side should get one as well. If we don't thats very poor customer service.

It is a beta patch, which means it is not completely tested. Maybe Steam offers a functionality that GG does not.

It's a beta patch. Steam has an interface where people can easy opt in a beta testing and have the patch downloaded automaticly. It's probably much more convenient for them, than packacking up a separate GG beta patch version.

I'd personally like to play the beta through my gamersgate version. It is kinda unfortunate; I bought the GG version to show some sense of solidarity with P'dox, and many others did as well. Hopefully, this will be a *very* short beta period.

- Retract Vassal
I presume this will be the opposite of 'transfer vassal?' If so, woohoo! Finally a way to straighten out your borders without actually having to go to war (probably). Everytime one of my overeager vassals decides to go conquer something they shouldn't, it ticks me off.

- Tech based on desmense buildings
Does this mean that if you have universities in desmense provinces other than your capital, you get the tech boost? Yay, if so. Can't think of what else it might mean.

It's a beta patch. Steam has an interface where people can easy opt in a beta testing and have the patch downloaded automaticly. It's probably much more convenient for them, than packacking up a separate GG beta patch version.

Yes.

I'd personally like to play the beta through my gamersgate version. It is kinda unfortunate; I bought the GG version to show some sense of solidarity with P'dox, and many others did as well. Hopefully, this will be a *very* short beta period.

- Retract Vassal
I presume this will be the opposite of 'transfer vassal?' If so, woohoo! Finally a way to straighten out your borders without actually having to go to war (probably). Everytime one of my overeager vassals decides to go conquer something they shouldn't, it ticks me off.

- Tech based on desmense buildings
Does this mean that if you have universities in desmense provinces other than your capital, you get the tech boost? Yay, if so. Can't think of what else it might mean.

I wouldn't count on it. Paradox seems to be going into Steam Only territory. Look at EU4. I',m ok with that but if the game was also sold on Gamersgate then there is no legitimate excuse not to release a gamersgate version of the beta patch. And don't buy the pretext that its easier to release on steam. Look at Viki, EU3, Rome, etc. They always released general beta patches that you unzip from the forum file itself. You didn't need steam for that did you?

Why would buying the game on GG show more "sense of solidarity" than buying it on Steam?

a) Cuz they used to own GG.
b) Cuz they went out of their way to put it on GG, rather than just Steam, at the request of the forum community.

Unless something is wrong with the beta patch, it appears that you won't have to wait long:

Right, but look at it this way: Their odds of discovering if everything's alright quickly go up if we all get to test it out. ;)

I wouldn't count on it. Paradox seems to be going into Steam Only territory. Look at EU4. I',m ok with that but if the game was also sold on Gamersgate then there is no legitimate excuse not to release a gamersgate version of the beta patch. And don't buy the pretext that its easier to release on steam. Look at Viki, EU3, Rome, etc. They always released general beta patches that you unzip from the forum file itself. You didn't need steam for that did you?

I understand all that, I just figured that, since the game was released on GG as well, that they'd stick to their existing policy until EU4 and all future games. What I'm particularly concerned about is if we get to the point in the future for CK2 (over the course of the next 2+ years of DLC) where there's the usual situation of a beta patch that lasts for the better part of a month (or more!) and is steam-exclusive, leaving us GG customers out in the dark.

Though, I suppose the fear of ticking us off that much might prove a powerful impetus to chug the proper patches out quickly.

The Southern Arabs still have a short stick with mercs, since the Mamluk's are landed mercs in Egypt, and no other choose that is usable at the start of the game

It's already reformed ;) This is the reason.

Only partly -- some interactions, such as "Demand Religious Conversion" do not work, and there are no Holy Wars allowed, no "Crusade/Jihad" equivalents as in other reformed religions, and no religious head.

why the hell don't they release a general beta patch like they do with all the other games? Why does it have to be steam exclusive?

1. Beta - Not ready for mass consumption.
2. Steam is easy to deploy patches for.
3. Steam has functionality to quickly de-patch a game so that Paradox don't have to hear even more complaints over broken games (even though this is clearly marked as a beta)

If you're hellbent on getting the beta elsewhere, you can simply have a friend with the Steam version to copy over the game and play it like that.