• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

FrontLine1111

Lt. General
66 Badges
Feb 14, 2011
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • March of the Eagles
  • Divine Wind
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
I haven't played CK2 in quite a while - I'm in my first game since the republic dlc came out, playing as Wessex. I'm having a hard time figuring out how or if it's possible anymore to have any influence over the stats of your heirs. My wife has great stats and is a genius. She also has all good traits. I've made her the tutor for my children but despite her great stats (and her being their mother), all my kids have crappy stats. Does the tutor not matter as much anymore? Also, the mother's stats aren't that important?

My kids seem to end up average no matter what. Base stats between 2-7, most being 3-5. EVen if my ruler, created with base stats at least 10, and a great wife, the kids are rarely anything special. I've pretty much given up trying to breed good heirs, it's just a crap shoot.

You can on average train 4 children per ruler's life. You must train your own kids for stats, placing them with the AI is a pathway to destruction. You must be able to have the children ward events to make a good kid. Plan to do this at all times. Right now my Heir who is 16 has 31 Steward, 27 Military, 17 Diplomacy 11 Intrigue and 14 learning. This is a 4th generation Heir, and it is because I alwayas train my heirs.

On a side note, unless you are using Elective Sucession, there is no point in caring about your training. The key is to plan for your leader to train two batches of kids. First batch is for your early kids, pick your best 2 and train them. Once your wife reaches 40ish, dump her and bring in a fresh young wife. She should have 2 kids fairly fast, this is your second batch and where your heir should come from.

You can with one parent having genius trait carry this for the whole game, just always have fall back plan!!

Your wife's base stats could be quite average if you discount the +5 from genius and all the other virtue modifiers. You should check out this thread for more information behind the ordeal that is breeding an awesome dynasty: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...de-to-CKII&p=13554468&viewfull=1#post13554468 .
I had forgotten about the primary/secondary parent effect on base stats. However, there seems to be some different behavior with respect to the guardian affecting base stats. I think maybe it used to be the guardian's modified stats that affected the child's stat gain and now maybe it's base. It seems different though.

You can on average train 4 children per ruler's life. You must train your own kids for stats, placing them with the AI is a pathway to destruction. You must be able to have the children ward events to make a good kid. Plan to do this at all times. Right now my Heir who is 16 has 31 Steward, 27 Military, 17 Diplomacy 11 Intrigue and 14 learning. This is a 4th generation Heir, and it is because I alwayas train my heirs.

On a side note, unless you are using Elective Sucession, there is no point in caring about your training. The key is to plan for your leader to train two batches of kids. First batch is for your early kids, pick your best 2 and train them. Once your wife reaches 40ish, dump her and bring in a fresh young wife. She should have 2 kids fairly fast, this is your second batch and where your heir should come from.

You can with one parent having genius trait carry this for the whole game, just always have fall back plan!!
Yeah, I remember this, but my wife's stats in this case were nearly triple mine in many cases which is why I made her the guardian. Apparently even in this situation you should still raise them yourself.

Yeah, I remember this, but my wife's stats in this case were nearly triple mine in many cases which is why I made her the guardian. Apparently even in this situation you should still raise them yourself.

Whatever the stats, train those kids yourself. If your children are girls or bastard boys just send them out to vassals/spymaster/other councillors/liege/pope for good relations.

Whatever the stats, train those kids yourself. If your children are girls or bastard boys just send them out to vassals/spymaster/other councillors/liege/pope for good relations.

And this is good advice!! As you train your keepers, the stats get bigger. The main thing for me is this, Get an heir Midas Touched ASAP!! Once you have this happen, you should be fine for rest of the game. Unless you have a random death. That is why you should make plans to train 4 kids!! Also, never rule as a women. They hardly ever birth past 40. Where as your men can for right now have kids into their late 70's. Also it is a good idea to keep one male family member as your Marshal and Marshal tranier. Never underestimate how useful it is to keep 6 or 7 military guys in your court. When you can place 3 25+ generals in your army, you will thank me!!