• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

The Danish King

Defender of Denmark
83 Badges
Mar 28, 2001
Visit site
  • Stellaris
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • War of the Roses
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
Hey all.

I just bought Vic 2 + the two expansions. I'm a long time gamer of Paradox titles(you can see I joined in 2001) and have played them on-and-off since then. One game I never really delved much into was Victoria(II). I remember getting the Vic I the time it came out, but it was too confusing for me to understand at the time.

Anyways... I finally finished all the tutorials and watched a few videos on how to play Vic II, and I think I understand the basics of it, however... as my first game as Portugal, i'm having trouble keeping my budget afloat. So far, I have come to the conclusion that the biggest money sink is my navy, the pride of Portugal. I tried to lower their "supplies" along with the army, but still, the only way to keep a meager surplus is to tax the hell out of my POPs and cut back on everything else(bueocracy/research/officer pay).

How the hell can I keep a "okayish" economy going as Portugal without sacraficing everything else?

I do not play the dying empires specifically because of this problem. There isn't much left for you to do other than stay alive! If you rush commerce techs, especially the tax efficiency ones, you'll get by.

I do not play the dying empires specifically because of this problem. There isn't much left for you to do other than stay alive! If you rush commerce techs, especially the tax efficiency ones, you'll get by.

Funny...that's why I like the "dying empires" best and never really bother with Prussia, USA, Japan and the like.

Take drastic measures. Scuttle the fleet or go into the trade window and disable the purchase of clipper convoys. Your most important budgets are education and bureaucracy. And you'll need ships and ports later for colonization points, so disabling clippers might be the way to go.

Take drastic measures. Scuttle the fleet or go into the trade window and disable the purchase of clipper convoys. Your most important budgets are education and bureaucracy. And you'll need ships and ports later for colonization points, so disabling clippers might be the way to go.
That's pretty much what i do whenever i play Portugal. Focus on tax efficiency and rgo efficiency techs to balance your budget and on education because Portugal has a terrible literacy rate. The first decades will be a pain and you'll eventually end up on the UK's sphere (which will hurt your economy by a lot), but once that's over and the scramble for africa begins you'll be a GP in no time.

Really? Scuttle the fleet? Yikes... that is drastic. I will give it a go and see how it goes... along with disabling the convoys as well.

I tend to scuttle the initial fleet as most everyone I play. The total cost saved over the years until you get the good ships is probably substantial. Of course, this is somewhat gamey and also has the beneficiary of hindsight.

Really? Scuttle the fleet? Yikes... that is drastic. I will give it a go and see how it goes... along with disabling the convoys as well.

Not only clipper-based ships become obsolete fast but the demand they create can make capis build clipper factories. So get rid of ALL your navy at the start of the game apart from clippers and commerce raiders if you start with them. Russia in particular starts with a ridiculously bloated and useless fleet, as 99% wars you might get into early all all land based. As Portugal what you want is GP backing to make wars and expand population and literacy. The usual :)

Not only clipper-based ships become obsolete fast but the demand they create can make capis build clipper factories. So get rid of ALL your navy at the start of the game apart from clippers and commerce raiders if you start with them. Russia in particular starts with a ridiculously bloated and useless fleet, as 99% wars you might get into early all all land based. As Portugal what you want is GP backing to make wars and expand population and literacy. The usual :)

Actually, when playing as Russia, I like to use my fleet to bully Portugal & Spain for some Africa concessions, and get Sicily. The fleet is absolutely humongous. I think other than the UK, Russia's navy can beat everyone else. Might as well use it.