• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I really have no idea why someone would want this, but the last official word was "not yet, no, it's a lot more complicated to do than you think it is."

Reactions:
You mean groups of units, e.g. a group that contains 3000 soldiers, 3000 cavalry and 3000 cannon? If that's what you mean, then yes, you can rename those in Heart of Darkness. (Fleets, too.)

You mean groups of units, e.g. a group that contains 3000 soldiers, 3000 cavalry and 3000 cannon? If that's what you mean, then yes, you can rename those in Heart of Darkness. (Fleets, too.)

No, he means the individual brigades, as in a single unit. Some people want to be able to rename this for flavor reasons.

No, he means the individual brigades, as in a single unit. Some people want to be able to rename this for flavor reasons.

Mostly it's because "1st New York Dreadnought" is an incredibly immersion-breaking name.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Agreed. There ought to be a lot more ship names. They could draw upon province names if necessary.

But is that as much of a problem in Heart of Darkness? The fleet sizes should be a ton smaller...

Additional ship names could include "Spam Dreadnought", "Another Spam Dreadnought". "Yet Another Spam Dreadnought", "Haven't you built enough already Dreadnought", "Ten years waiting Tank Brigade", etc.

I really have no idea why someone would want this, but the last official word was "not yet, no, it's a lot more complicated to do than you think it is."
]
I honestly can't see why they're having trouble with this feature in V2, when HOI3 is built on the exact same engine and deals with tens or hundreds multiples of units and allows it...

• 1Like
Reactions:
I honestly can't see why they're having trouble with this feature in V2, when HOI3 is built on the exact same engine and deals with tens or hundreds multiples of units and allows it...

So you don't know what's involved, therefore it should be easy? Just because games are built on the same engine doesn't mean they don't have a lot of differences in how they're set up, code-wise.

Unless one really wants to assume that they're keeping this feature from fans because they're either lazy, incompetent, or malicious, it's probably best to take their word for it regarding how their game works.

Reactions:
So you don't know what's involved, therefore it should be easy? Just because games are built on the same engine doesn't mean they don't have a lot of differences in how they're set up, code-wise.

Unless one really wants to assume that they're keeping this feature from fans because they're either lazy, incompetent, or malicious, it's probably best to take their word for it regarding how their game works.

After seeing what Nas and yourself have managed to achieve through simply modifying the game, I think anything is possible in Victoria when you have access to the source-code. :happy:

Nevertheless, it's a feature that has been in any past in-house Paradox game I can think of. Including the first Victoria. Why is it, or at least seems, so wrong for fans to expect what they have been given, without issue, in the past? It's not as if we're acting entitled. :mellow:

Nevertheless, it's a feature that has been in any past in-house Paradox game I can think of. Including the first Victoria. Why is it, or at least seems, so wrong for fans to expect what they have been given, without issue, in the past? It's not as if we're acting entitled. :mellow:

Yet some people do seem to act as if they're entitled to that feature-- why, because it was in the first game? That's a good reason to want it back, sure. Not a good reason to think you're owed it.

My issue is mainly with anyone who thinks that a feature "should be easy to implement", however. Just because a feature exists in other games, even with the same engine, doesn't mean it's a snap to implement in this one... it really depends on how Paradox set up the infrastructure with regards to the naming of units/brigades. Would it have been convenient if they'd set it up in a way to make it easy to do this feature, as they did in the past? Sure, but that really depends on why they changed it (we don't know why, perhaps it was to reduce processing overhead) and whether they believe that the effort it would take to rearrange that infrastructure is worth adding this cosmetic feature. Again, I've no issue with someone saying they'd like the feature added (I personally wouldn't use it or care if it was added, but I don't care about a lot of things other people do)... but suggesting it should be easy when you don't know what's involved, or ignoring the possibility that the devs could have reasons for implementing it the way they did, is simply presumptuous.

Reactions:
Go to where you have Vic 2 installed on your computer, for me it's C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Victoria 2\common\countries... In this folder you will see a ton of .txt files. Open the .txt of the country you're interested in, scroll to the bottom and you'll see where the game draws its ship names. Once it runs out of names, it will start the "1st steamboat of London" nonsense. all you have to do is add any additional names you would like to see, and the game will draw from that list. NOTE: if you choose a name with two words, like New Orleans, it must be in quotes ---> "New Orleans" single word names do not require the quotes.

I have not been able to find a spot to change infantry, cavalry, or artillery regiment names...yet...

Go to where you have Vic 2 installed on your computer, for me it's C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Victoria 2\common\countries... In this folder you will see a ton of .txt files. Open the .txt of the country you're interested in, scroll to the bottom and you'll see where the game draws its ship names. Once it runs out of names, it will start the "1st steamboat of London" nonsense. all you have to do is add any additional names you would like to see, and the game will draw from that list. NOTE: if you choose a name with two words, like New Orleans, it must be in quotes ---> "New Orleans" single word names do not require the quotes.

I have not been able to find a spot to change infantry, cavalry, or artillery regiment names...yet...
Savegame editing also works, but it is much more tedious.