• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Reforming or converting makes it much easier to hold something together, while being unreformed makes it a lot easier to grow. Oftentimes, a good strategy is to grow to a huge size with one long lived ruler, and then convert to an established faith and switch your succession law. You get to keep everything, and it should be fairly easy to demand conversions from most of your vassals using such an old ruler. Reforming, rather then converting, has the advantage of keeping raiding abilities as well as a few other religions features (if you had them), and makes it easier to convert your lands.

Why is Normandy called Normandy even before there were Normans?
davidTennant_1381584c.jpg

Why is Normandy called Normandy even before there were Normans?

That region didn't have a name before Normandy was created. The game mechanics wouldn't allow the creation of a unique region like that.

Someone might jump in and say that it should be called Neustria, but those borders would encompass the majority of northern France.

That region didn't have a name before Normandy was created. The game mechanics wouldn't allow the creation of a unique region like that.

Someone might jump in and say that it should be called Neustria, but those borders would encompass the majority of northern France.

I liked VoodooEconomist explanation better :/

Quick question. Just fired up Old Gods - I can only give my heir 1 landed title. Is this a new feature or a bug? Or am I just doing something stupid?

Probably due to the limits on gavelkind.

How exactly do the norman, swedish, danish, norweign cultures spring up?
After 950, Norse provinces in the dejure kingdoms of Norway, Denmark and Sweden randomly convert to Norwegian, Danish and Swedish respectively. Frankish or Breton provinces under Norse rule convert to Norman. Norse rulers get an option to convert to these new cultures, but if a Norse realm controls the counties of Akershus, Uppland and Sjaelland (i.e. Oslo, Stockholm and Copenhagen) the AI rulers within this realm won't take the option.