Nation Designer/Creator/Editor DLC??

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Fryz

NO_TEXT_FOR_KEY
53 Badges
Mar 20, 2009
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Sign Up
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
This is just a suggestion thread.

So...we have Ruler designer DLC in CK2, which seems to be a success, I'm thinking that maybe a nation designer dlc for EU4 will also be a good choice.

I don't know if that would work. Since creating a leader in CK2 doesn't change your titles, the equivalent would be playing as England but by another name. But geographically they would inhabit the same space. If you are still Geographically England but by another name say "Fryzland" what difference is their? I guess you cold customize your national ideas or something. Even then you would still be geographically England but by a different name. Therefore, I don't see any sense in renaming a geographical area. That said, It could be cool to have a national ideology designer to customize your national ideas and I would like the ability to form theoretical or fictitious states like you can in CK2 through the De Jure system. So that I can form the empire of Scandinavia or create vassal colonial nations and name them. e.g. United States of South America or Australia (100s of years early)

I don't know if that would work. Since creating a leader in CK2 doesn't change your titles, the equivalent would be playing as England but by another name. But geographically they would inhabit the same space. If you are still Geographically England but by another name say "Fryzland" what difference is their? I guess you cold customize your national ideas or something. Even then you would still be geographically England but by a different name. Therefore, I don't see any sense in renaming a geographical area. That said, It could be cool to have a national ideology designer to customize your national ideas and I would like the ability to form theoretical or fictitious states like you can in CK2 through the De Jure system. So that I can form the empire of Scandinavia or create vassal colonial nations and name them. e.g. United States of South America or Australia (100s of years early)

My original idea was to allow player to create new nations particularly in un-colonized lands or a certain specialized province, so that those players who don't know modding but want to see some more nations can create by their own, I saw someone asking for more Indonesian native nations last week, the thread inspired me.

For example, it seems to be not very possible to see a dev-made Lanfang republic, or Kingdom of Formosa ( the state created by Koxinga AKA ZHENG Chenggong ), or anything else missed in vanilla, so why not allow player to set up the scenario?

If you want to permanently add new countries, you might as well mod it.

But I support the notion that it could be cool if we could design a more-or-less fictive country at game start, just for that one game, without having to mess up the map for future playthroughs.

I like this idea. You could tick provinces as cores and if they are uncolonized then the custom nation owns them.

I don't really see the need for this. Teaching yourself how to mod in a new country is a 10 minute exercise at the worst. It's a different situation from CK2 where navigating DNA/property codes was nightmarish.

It just makes stuff more convenient and easy, Aed, especially for those not savvy with tech all too much. Being able to physically see what happens when things are changed, having flag presets which can be mixed and matched - I think it's a good idea.

It just makes stuff more convenient and easy, Aed, especially for those not savvy with tech all too much. Being able to physically see what happens when things are changed, having flag presets which can be mixed and matched - I think it's a good idea.

Tech savvy? You take an existing country text file and copy it. Then you make slight alterations to the copy to turn it into a new country. Your computer skills would have to be on the "great-grandmother terrified of technology" level to fail here.

There are several problems. If you create a nation you also need the national ideas, decisions, possible names (culture) of the ruling dynasty ect.

Not to mention the flag. CKII had a flag (or rather coat-of-arms) generator because it needed one anyway for the myriad barony-level holdings.
EUIV won't need one, and so probably won't have one.
Quid of your created country, then? Leave the flag out and be forced to play with a black flag? Assign it another country's flag? Let the game allow you to upload an image?
Nothing's simple and/or elegant enough.

I totally think Paradox needs to do this, the ruler designer dlc in CK2 was the most popular dlc the game has had up to this day. That's a pretty clear indicator people love to have custom stuff.

And imagine if they could just make an ideagroup based on the special ideas all the other countries have, just pick the ones they like, seems tricky to balance, very tricky, but the potential for such a thing could make it the best selling dlc paradox has ever sold.

Cool for roleplay purposes too. Playing Austria? Inherit Hungary? Rename your nation to Austria-Hungary and give it a new flag! Give it a new colour! Just little cosmetic details, and it increases the replayability massively.

Playing Ireland? Own all of Great Britain? Don't -want- to form Great Britain? (You're Ireland, that'd be silly).

Form it anyway, give it a nice Green colour, stick a new custom flag in and call it "Brythonia" or something.

Playing the Holy Roman Empire? Not so Holy or Roman anymore? You're a Republic now? Rename it to something fitting (Great Germany?)

Being able to edit cosmetic details about your nation would make this a guaranteed sale for me.

EDIT: More ideas. Playing Saxony? Manage to conquer north Germany and then England? Rename your nation to the Anglo-Saxon Empire and give it a nice colour!

Playing a North American nation? Conquered all the other native tribes? Rename to Thousand Nations!

Playing the Golden Horde? Westernised, no longer a Horde? Rename your nation to Tartaria (or something!)!

Playing the Golden Horde? Westernised, no longer a Horde? Rename your nation to Tartaria (or something!)!

What's wrong with you?! Golden Horde is obviously the most superior name out of everything :p

I don't really see the need for this. Teaching yourself how to mod in a new country is a 10 minute exercise at the worst. It's a different situation from CK2 where navigating DNA/property codes was nightmarish.

Teaching oneself how to mod is truly not difficult,but IIRC, most players are playing vanilla and may not want to learn modding, and I suppose this part of players have also their own thoughts about the game. It's true that generally players have always more than one choice when they want something in the game, they can simply post here and hope devs to adopt their suggestions or deal with their whining, they can ask a modder or join a modding group to make a mod, they can learn modding...But sometimes the thing they demand or let's say their need is not big enough to bother themselves to do any of above, and even it's such a small thing, if it can be satisfied, that's still very pleasing, nobody dislike a quickly fullfilled demand.

So why not another choice, a choice which can deal with their demands more quickly?

Not to mention the flag. CKII had a flag (or rather coat-of-arms) generator because it needed one anyway for the myriad barony-level holdings.
EUIV won't need one, and so probably won't have one.
Quid of your created country, then? Leave the flag out and be forced to play with a black flag? Assign it another country's flag? Let the game allow you to upload an image?
Nothing's simple and/or elegant enough.

A flag is a bit different from a CoA, but still, I don't think a flag generator is impossible: a stock of patterns and symbols, and a color picker and voilà.
And if there's a achievement system, the flag maker can also be associated with achievement: unlock a certain achievement, you unlock a certain pattern/symbol.

There are several problems. If you create a nation you also need the national ideas, decisions, possible names (culture) of the ruling dynasty ect.

The created nations use preset national ideas, maybe there can be several presets like "Land Power" and "Naval Power", or something like "Western monarchy", "Oriental monarchy", "Islamic", "Tribal".
They may not have special decisions but only generated ones, which ones they exactly have depends on selected culture group and so on.
Names depends on the selected culture, if you choose to create a Chinese rebel state you have Chinese generated names, and if you create a Mongol tribe you have Mongol generated names.
And maybe you can simply type a dynasty name for your new country, if it ends up with no heir, you get generated dynasties or foreign dynasties.
And all these can also be linked with the achievement system too. But I have to say I don't want to see an over-use of achievement-unlock elements.

Just some rough ideas.

Last edited:
I totally think Paradox needs to do this, the ruler designer dlc in CK2 was the most popular dlc the game has had up to this day. That's a pretty clear indicator people love to have custom stuff.

And imagine if they could just make an ideagroup based on the special ideas all the other countries have, just pick the ones they like, seems tricky to balance, very tricky, but the potential for such a thing could make it the best selling dlc paradox has ever sold.

I would agree from the expectation, but in the end, it wasn't at all. The problem is that you create a new character and he will have an ugly dynasty shield (you choose from the random coa stuff), you can not take over other dynasties and shield anymore. If you give your char special cloathes and beards, they will change, propably on the first day etc. It is really not what people hoped for.

I would agree from the expectation, but in the end, it wasn't at all. The problem is that you create a new character and he will have an ugly dynasty shield (you choose from the random coa stuff), you can not take over other dynasties and shield anymore. If you give your char special cloathes and beards, they will change, propably on the first day etc. It is really not what people hoped for.

I disagree here. I can't imagine playing CK2 without the ruler designer. I also don't think the dynasty shields you can create are ugly. If you focus on a clear motive and distinct colours (use rules of tincture) they can be very unique and recognizable. The ruler designer DLC, to me, is the #1 essential DLC for CK2 - I can't stand the thought of playing with a preexisting character since I have gotten used to creating my own dynasties, characters, stories. It is *exactly* what I had hoped for.

Sure, the clothes and faces changing thing is somewhat annoying, but not a dealbreaker to me.