+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Nation Designer/Creator/Editor DLC??

  1. #1
    NO_TEXT_FOR_KEY Fryz's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of Paradise

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Free imperial city of Shanghai
    Posts
    1,569

    Nation Designer/Creator/Editor DLC??

    This is just a suggestion thread.

    So...we have Ruler designer DLC in CK2, which seems to be a success, I'm thinking that maybe a nation designer dlc for EU4 will also be a good choice.
    PAX SINICA - EU4 Mod about China, Sinosphere and other stuffs.

  2. #2
    Sergeant
    Crusader Kings IIHearts of Iron IIIVictoria 2Europa Universalis IV

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    59
    I don't know if that would work. Since creating a leader in CK2 doesn't change your titles, the equivalent would be playing as England but by another name. But geographically they would inhabit the same space. If you are still Geographically England but by another name say "Fryzland" what difference is their? I guess you cold customize your national ideas or something. Even then you would still be geographically England but by a different name. Therefore, I don't see any sense in renaming a geographical area. That said, It could be cool to have a national ideology designer to customize your national ideas and I would like the ability to form theoretical or fictitious states like you can in CK2 through the De Jure system. So that I can form the empire of Scandinavia or create vassal colonial nations and name them. e.g. United States of South America or Australia (100s of years early)

  3. #3
    NO_TEXT_FOR_KEY Fryz's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of Paradise

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Free imperial city of Shanghai
    Posts
    1,569
    Quote Originally Posted by jye42 View Post
    I don't know if that would work. Since creating a leader in CK2 doesn't change your titles, the equivalent would be playing as England but by another name. But geographically they would inhabit the same space. If you are still Geographically England but by another name say "Fryzland" what difference is their? I guess you cold customize your national ideas or something. Even then you would still be geographically England but by a different name. Therefore, I don't see any sense in renaming a geographical area. That said, It could be cool to have a national ideology designer to customize your national ideas and I would like the ability to form theoretical or fictitious states like you can in CK2 through the De Jure system. So that I can form the empire of Scandinavia or create vassal colonial nations and name them. e.g. United States of South America or Australia (100s of years early)
    My original idea was to allow player to create new nations particularly in un-colonized lands or a certain specialized province, so that those players who don't know modding but want to see some more nations can create by their own, I saw someone asking for more Indonesian native nations last week, the thread inspired me.

    For example, it seems to be not very possible to see a dev-made Lanfang republic, or Kingdom of Formosa ( the state created by Koxinga AKA ZHENG Chenggong ), or anything else missed in vanilla, so why not allow player to set up the scenario?
    PAX SINICA - EU4 Mod about China, Sinosphere and other stuffs.

  4. #4
    First Lieutenant Rhomaioi's Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest Hour
    East India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneLead and GoldThe Kings CrusadeMagicka
    Majesty 2Majesty II CollectionPenumbra - Black PlagueVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Rome GoldSword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses
    Pride of NationsRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    240
    If you want to permanently add new countries, you might as well mod it.

    But I support the notion that it could be cool if we could design a more-or-less fictive country at game start, just for that one game, without having to mess up the map for future playthroughs.

  5. #5
    I like this idea. You could tick provinces as cores and if they are uncolonized then the custom nation owns them.
    Traits: Rare Visitor, Quick, Just, Ambitious, Deceitful.
    Honorary Titles: Second Lieutenant
    Held Titles:
    Claims:



    "Uh, I'm next to ya."
    - Jore Jarrison.

  6. #6
    I don't really see the need for this. Teaching yourself how to mod in a new country is a 10 minute exercise at the worst. It's a different situation from CK2 where navigating DNA/property codes was nightmarish.

  7. #7
    First Lieutenant PineconeKing's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    March of the EaglesSemper FiVictoria 2Mount & Blade: Warband

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Kirkham, Lancashire, UK
    Posts
    236
    It just makes stuff more convenient and easy, Aed, especially for those not savvy with tech all too much. Being able to physically see what happens when things are changed, having flag presets which can be mixed and matched - I think it's a good idea.
    All praise the great, benevolent yet malevolent King Pinecone, killer of threads and slaughterer of many bacon pasties!

  8. #8
    First Lieutenant kingofnoobs's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Victoria 2500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    ಕುಂದಾಪುರ
    Posts
    285
    It would be nice, but why not just learn to mod? It really isn't that hard to learn...

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by PineconeKing View Post
    It just makes stuff more convenient and easy, Aed, especially for those not savvy with tech all too much. Being able to physically see what happens when things are changed, having flag presets which can be mixed and matched - I think it's a good idea.
    Tech savvy? You take an existing country text file and copy it. Then you make slight alterations to the copy to turn it into a new country. Your computer skills would have to be on the "great-grandmother terrified of technology" level to fail here.

  10. #10
    There are several problems. If you create a nation you also need the national ideas, decisions, possible names (culture) of the ruling dynasty ect.

  11. #11
    Samuel de Champlain vol. II GregElSho's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultDiplomacyEast India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis: Chronicles
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSengokuSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Montréal, Nouvelle France
    Posts
    1,137
    Quote Originally Posted by teufels-beitrag View Post
    There are several problems. If you create a nation you also need the national ideas, decisions, possible names (culture) of the ruling dynasty ect.
    Not to mention the flag. CKII had a flag (or rather coat-of-arms) generator because it needed one anyway for the myriad barony-level holdings.
    EUIV won't need one, and so probably won't have one.
    Quid of your created country, then? Leave the flag out and be forced to play with a black flag? Assign it another country's flag? Let the game allow you to upload an image?
    Nothing's simple and/or elegant enough.

  12. #12
    Apprentice Modder User29's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMarch of the Eagles
    Victoria: RevolutionsSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,573
    I totally think Paradox needs to do this, the ruler designer dlc in CK2 was the most popular dlc the game has had up to this day. That's a pretty clear indicator people love to have custom stuff.

    And imagine if they could just make an ideagroup based on the special ideas all the other countries have, just pick the ones they like, seems tricky to balance, very tricky, but the potential for such a thing could make it the best selling dlc paradox has ever sold.
    "New opinions are always suspected, and usually opposed without any other reason but because they are not already common" - John Locke

  13. #13
    Cool for roleplay purposes too. Playing Austria? Inherit Hungary? Rename your nation to Austria-Hungary and give it a new flag! Give it a new colour! Just little cosmetic details, and it increases the replayability massively.

    Playing Ireland? Own all of Great Britain? Don't -want- to form Great Britain? (You're Ireland, that'd be silly).

    Form it anyway, give it a nice Green colour, stick a new custom flag in and call it "Brythonia" or something.

    Playing the Holy Roman Empire? Not so Holy or Roman anymore? You're a Republic now? Rename it to something fitting (Great Germany?)


    Being able to edit cosmetic details about your nation would make this a guaranteed sale for me.


    EDIT: More ideas. Playing Saxony? Manage to conquer north Germany and then England? Rename your nation to the Anglo-Saxon Empire and give it a nice colour!

    Playing a North American nation? Conquered all the other native tribes? Rename to Thousand Nations!

    Playing the Golden Horde? Westernised, no longer a Horde? Rename your nation to Tartaria (or something!)!

  14. #14
    Apprentice Modder User29's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMarch of the Eagles
    Victoria: RevolutionsSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,573
    Quote Originally Posted by Potato Knight View Post
    Playing the Golden Horde? Westernised, no longer a Horde? Rename your nation to Tartaria (or something!)!
    What's wrong with you?! Golden Horde is obviously the most superior name out of everything
    "New opinions are always suspected, and usually opposed without any other reason but because they are not already common" - John Locke

  15. #15
    NO_TEXT_FOR_KEY Fryz's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of Paradise

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Free imperial city of Shanghai
    Posts
    1,569
    Quote Originally Posted by Jia Xu View Post
    I don't really see the need for this. Teaching yourself how to mod in a new country is a 10 minute exercise at the worst. It's a different situation from CK2 where navigating DNA/property codes was nightmarish.
    Teaching oneself how to mod is truly not difficult,but IIRC, most players are playing vanilla and may not want to learn modding, and I suppose this part of players have also their own thoughts about the game. It's true that generally players have always more than one choice when they want something in the game, they can simply post here and hope devs to adopt their suggestions or deal with their whining, they can ask a modder or join a modding group to make a mod, they can learn modding...But sometimes the thing they demand or let's say their need is not big enough to bother themselves to do any of above, and even it's such a small thing, if it can be satisfied, that's still very pleasing, nobody dislike a quickly fullfilled demand.

    So why not another choice, a choice which can deal with their demands more quickly?

    Quote Originally Posted by GregElSho View Post
    Not to mention the flag. CKII had a flag (or rather coat-of-arms) generator because it needed one anyway for the myriad barony-level holdings.
    EUIV won't need one, and so probably won't have one.
    Quid of your created country, then? Leave the flag out and be forced to play with a black flag? Assign it another country's flag? Let the game allow you to upload an image?
    Nothing's simple and/or elegant enough.
    A flag is a bit different from a CoA, but still, I don't think a flag generator is impossible: a stock of patterns and symbols, and a color picker and voilà.
    And if there's a achievement system, the flag maker can also be associated with achievement: unlock a certain achievement, you unlock a certain pattern/symbol.


    Quote Originally Posted by teufels-beitrag View Post
    There are several problems. If you create a nation you also need the national ideas, decisions, possible names (culture) of the ruling dynasty ect.
    The created nations use preset national ideas, maybe there can be several presets like "Land Power" and "Naval Power", or something like "Western monarchy", "Oriental monarchy", "Islamic", "Tribal".
    They may not have special decisions but only generated ones, which ones they exactly have depends on selected culture group and so on.
    Names depends on the selected culture, if you choose to create a Chinese rebel state you have Chinese generated names, and if you create a Mongol tribe you have Mongol generated names.
    And maybe you can simply type a dynasty name for your new country, if it ends up with no heir, you get generated dynasties or foreign dynasties.
    And all these can also be linked with the achievement system too. But I have to say I don't want to see an over-use of achievement-unlock elements.



    Just some rough ideas.
    Last edited by Fryz; 26-05-2013 at 12:58.
    PAX SINICA - EU4 Mod about China, Sinosphere and other stuffs.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by User29 View Post
    I totally think Paradox needs to do this, the ruler designer dlc in CK2 was the most popular dlc the game has had up to this day. That's a pretty clear indicator people love to have custom stuff.

    And imagine if they could just make an ideagroup based on the special ideas all the other countries have, just pick the ones they like, seems tricky to balance, very tricky, but the potential for such a thing could make it the best selling dlc paradox has ever sold.
    I would agree from the expectation, but in the end, it wasn't at all. The problem is that you create a new character and he will have an ugly dynasty shield (you choose from the random coa stuff), you can not take over other dynasties and shield anymore. If you give your char special cloathes and beards, they will change, propably on the first day etc. It is really not what people hoped for.

  17. #17
    Not really a fascist brony monsterfurby's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultDungeonland
    Europa Universalis 3Divine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuSupreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Kingdom of Hannover
    Posts
    1,506
    Quote Originally Posted by teufels-beitrag View Post
    I would agree from the expectation, but in the end, it wasn't at all. The problem is that you create a new character and he will have an ugly dynasty shield (you choose from the random coa stuff), you can not take over other dynasties and shield anymore. If you give your char special cloathes and beards, they will change, propably on the first day etc. It is really not what people hoped for.
    I disagree here. I can't imagine playing CK2 without the ruler designer. I also don't think the dynasty shields you can create are ugly. If you focus on a clear motive and distinct colours (use rules of tincture) they can be very unique and recognizable. The ruler designer DLC, to me, is the #1 essential DLC for CK2 - I can't stand the thought of playing with a preexisting character since I have gotten used to creating my own dynasties, characters, stories. It is *exactly* what I had hoped for.

    Sure, the clothes and faces changing thing is somewhat annoying, but not a dealbreaker to me.
    Public Service Announcement:
    "...this is still a free country and anyone telling a
    fellow like me "brother you're full of ****" better be
    good and ready to answer politely when asked if he'd care
    to say why!"

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts