Modern Age Mod
    For Heart of Darkness 3.03

Screenshots:

Country Selection and Europe

Northern Africa and the Middle East

Southern Africa

Far East

Central America

As some of you know, arkhometha, previous developer, stopped working on new a version for Modern Age Mod, as he states here, so I took over his project. Borrowing from his description of the mod:

"The objective of this mod is to put a Modern World Scenario and do a total conversion of Victoria 2 to this world. Originally, it is set to begin in 1992 and I plan make world population, events, technologies, and all I can do as historically as possible, using real world data."

02/08/2013 Version:

Download Link
    Download the file, extract it to your Vic II install's /mod/ folder

Be sure to clear any old Modern Age Mod versions cache before starting this mod (delete the gfx and map folders under *User*/Documents/Paradox Interactive/Victoria II/Modern Age Mod/).
    Delete the old mod folder if updating from versions older than 01/07/2013 and/or hotfixed ones.
    I do not guarantee save compatibility across multiple versions.

Help and Suggestions are more than appreciated, they're highly desirable. Questions and doubts are too, and will be answered.

Changelog:

02/08/2013
    • Deskchair's South Africa improvements hotfix included in the main mod
    • ExtraNoise's hotfixes included in the main mod
    • Capital province fixes for some countries
    • Flag fixes for some countries
    • Fixed some cores
    • Korea's can now be reunited
      • By decision, should one of them conquer/sphere/subjulgate the other
      • By event if they have the same form of government (South Korea will be the unifier by default [so the capital is Seoul] but if the player is North Korea, he'll get it. Won't happen if both koreas are player controlled)
    • Koreas only have cores in each other's capital now (To keep low relations but prevent the easy annexation that was always happenning)
    • East African Federation given an unification decision (cores were already in place)
    • Interface improvements
    06/07/2013
    • Bugfix: School Reform not showing.
    • Bugfix: Budget screen sliders inverted.
    01/07/2013
    • Compatible with 3.03
    • Properly adapted the mod to HoD.
    • Complete code overhaul and organization.
    • Most graphical modifications were reintroduced.
    • Social Pyramid Mod was remade based on its topic description (Standalone download link can be found here)
    • Went through all the events and decisions and disabled ones that don't fit the timeframe (With not very strict standards, or the game would be without them. Many more will probably be disabled when the mod itself has some).
    • Bugfix: Reforms not showing
    • Many changes to Reforms
    • Faroe Islands and Greenland reintegrated to Denmark (The realism was not worth the fact that they couldn't be taken anymore on a single war, will be reverted if so the community asks me to).
    • Cores were given to Jan Mayen.
    • 15 Polar Bear Soldiers add to Jan Mayen.
    • Baltic Federation (old, mod created) replaced by United Baltic Provinces (native to vanilla since AHD 2.3).
    • Decision to Reform the USCA (Must be Nicaraga, Costa Rica, Belize, Honduras, El Salvador or Panama and own, sphere or puppet all USCA cores) (Gives cores in Panama and Belize upon used, annexes them if they're already in your sphere/vassalized).
    • East Timor is part of Indonesia (RL Independence was gained in 2002).
    • Palau now part of the US (RL Independence was gained in 1994).
    • Panama Canal given to the US (RL returned to Panama in 1999-2000) with event for the US to choose to return it or not, with negative prestige effects if it does not.
    • Somalia given cores on Somaliland's territory.
    • Flag fixes for Greenland, Georgia, United Arab Emirates, Algeria, Greece, Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq, Oman, Colombia & Ecuador
    • The independent states of Transkei and Ciskei (slightly bigger than in reality, not able to solve without map editing) in South Africa.
    • Bugfix: AI didn't know what to research.
    • Techs were changed and adapted to HoD equivalency.
    • Tech dates standardised.
    • Units remade, all now equivalent to HoD ones. They now are:
      • Artillery = Artillery
      • Cavalry = Armored Vehicle
      • Cuirassier = Tank
      • Dragoon = Jet
      • Engineer = Sniper
      • Guard = Special Forces
      • Hussar = Helicopter
      • Irregular = Militia
      • Infantry = Infantry
      • Plane = Drone
      • Tank = Mech
    Those are some, but not all: I started doing this list only about half way through, so many things were forgotten.

24/05/2013
    • Working for Vic 2 version 3.02b
    • Removed East Timor (independence was gained in 1999-2002, after game time). Events will be added in the future for a liberation movement.
    • Removed map, interface and graphics tweaks temporarily as they weren't updated and caused crashes. Will look into re-adding them in the next release, but some other issues are more important right now.

Credits:
    • ExtraNoise for two amazing hotfixes
    • Deskchair for South African improvements
    From before I started working on it:
    As written by arkhometha, plus an entry for him
    • arkhometha, previous developer who resigned because of RL. Thanks for the awesome mod, man.
    • ZomgK3tchup for the suggestions, corrections, advices with pops, taking a look at the main menu screen and letting me take some things from the Modern Day Scenario Mod and everything else and anything I might have forgotten.
    • Gloa for the suggestions, corrections, advices and all help with colors and loading screens and everything else and anything I might have forgotten.
    • kovio and all people who worked on the base mod, MDM, and the mods integrated.
    • Keder for letting me use his intelligentsia sprites from his Intelligentsia tiny mod.
    • Naselus for the advice.
    • Naselus and the PDM team for letting me use PDM map overlay and NVs.
    • Kalelovil and everyone who worked on the Cold War Mod for letting me use the map changes.
    • CaptRobau for letting me use his Visible Country Borders Mod and his Social Pyramid Mod (whenever I find a link to download the mod anyway)[Recreated by Scythlyr based on screenshots and description].
    And the old Modern Day Scenario team for organizing some the data I'm using, and anyone I might forgot:
    Thanks a lot guys.

Also, I promised to set up a GitHub for the mod so that we can have collaborative development. Here it is.
    Last edited by Scythlyr; 03-08-2013 at 03:26. Reason: New Version

Looking good... shall download it now, and see what has been done, what needs to be done.

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMarch of the EaglesNaval War: Arctic CircleSemper Fi
    SengokuSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Mount & Blade: Warband500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Blog Entries
    Awesome!

Had a quick look, new technology names looks good, as does borders and south american border claims...

Obviously a lot of work to do regarding pops... An easy way to add a little tension would be to add an Argentine Core on the Falklands... Will you be wanting help with anything, or are you happy to just work on it by yourself...

Note: Events will also need to be added to flavour the game...

Holy crap, I've been checking the forums every day since HOD came out for this mod to be updated. Keep up the good work!

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    March of the EaglesRome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: Warband

Time to think of possible events I suppose.

I am assuming that the game starts with war in the former Yugoslavia.
    The Rt. Honorable High King Jake, 99th of his name, Huey Long of the Jews, Master of Evil, Loyal Servant to McCarthy, Collector of Loans, Esteemed Banker, devious general, drunkard, and a terrible heartache to all Yellowish Liberals. OT's local Right-Leaning Totalitarian World-Federalist Cosmopolitan Traditionalist.

Prince-Archbishop of Cologne in Europa Universalis RPG
    Lawrence of Brittania - The History of the Fourth English Civil War (KR)
    Second-Winner of the Q2 AARland Choice Awards [Darkest Hour]

My Inkwell

Awards: Victorian Cross Nominee - Role Player of the Month[/CENTER]

Also culture will need to be sorted out... Having Poland majority German will not be that fun...

Podcat's Cat Wrangler T.j. Arnold's Avatar
    53 games registered

HoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    DiplomacyDungeonlandEast India CompanyEast India Company CollectionElven Legacy Collection
    Europa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    Iron CrossLeviathan: WarshipsMagickaMajesty 2EU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Sword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldSupreme Ruler: Cold WarThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2
    Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the Roses
    V2 AHD BetaHearts of Iron: The Card GamePride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

Blog Entries
    Looks great! Hopefully this will develop further on!

I have been playing this mod and I really want to enjoy it but it keeps crashing. Thanks for continuing this mod. ~Jak

Arsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteFor The Glory
    Hearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourMarch of the EaglesRome GoldSengoku
    Supreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
    Crusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamEUIV: Art of War

I've noticed that if you (at the very least if you start as a minor power) research the second National Focus technology you end up losing one national focus (meaning you stay at 1).

I was playing as Austria and after researching the technology I was able to use it however after using it the one I had originally stopped showing up on the sidebar and on the top of the screen (but checking the region I put the focus on shown it was still there,and checking the populations screen shown that it was still Encouraging Academics) I just couldn't change the province and what it did. And if I chose to remove National Focus it would outright be removed from the game.

Reloading and restarting didn't fix it but after a few hours of playing more it came back (it was actually rather random too. I think it was after a battle vs Switzerland). Sorry, I can't give much more information. I was using both National Focuses to Encourage Academics.

Also, as a suggestion (or rather just plain bitching/complaining :P) after playing Austria, can you make infrastructure less dependent on mountains/forest/woods (you can limit it sure but the problem is I don't think you can upgrade those provinces at all)? I'd figure during the 21st century it wouldn't be as big a problem. And having Wien stay and various other cities being at 0 infrastructure is kinda odd (though, this might actually be a good thing for those guys that try and choose difficult to play countries so yeah, it could probably stay to please them lol). Though yeah, this is more of a problem of vanilla's balancing rather than MAM lol.

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneMagickaMarch of the EaglesRome GoldSengoku
    Supreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    War of the Roses500k clubEuropa Universalis IVWar of the VikingsEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The Republic
    Crusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

how do you install this? when i load the mod it comes up with the normal game

Are POPs reworked?

Quote Originally Posted by tobias2220 View Post
    Awesome!
    Quote Originally Posted by D0RK View Post
    Holy crap, I've been checking the forums every day since HOD came out for this mod to be updated. Keep up the good work!
    Quote Originally Posted by T.j. Arnold View Post
    Looks great! Hopefully this will develop further on!
    Quote Originally Posted by gutshotjak View Post
    I have been playing this mod and I really want to enjoy it but it keeps crashing. Thanks for continuing this mod. ~Jak
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkCruor View Post
    I've noticed that if you (at the very least if you start as a minor power) research the second National Focus technology you end up losing one national focus (meaning you stay at 1).

I was playing as Austria and after researching the technology I was able to use it however after using it the one I had originally stopped showing up on the sidebar and on the top of the screen (but checking the region I put the focus on shown it was still there,and checking the populations screen shown that it was still Encouraging Academics) I just couldn't change the province and what it did. And if I chose to remove National Focus it would outright be removed from the game.

Reloading and restarting didn't fix it but after a few hours of playing more it came back (it was actually rather random too. I think it was after a battle vs Switzerland). Sorry, I can't give much more information. I was using both National Focuses to Encourage Academics.

Also, as a suggestion (or rather just plain bitching/complaining :P) after playing Austria, can you make infrastructure less dependent on mountains/forest/woods (you can limit it sure but the problem is I don't think you can upgrade those provinces at all)? I'd figure during the 21st century it wouldn't be as big a problem. And having Wien stay and various other cities being at 0 infrastructure is kinda odd (though, this might actually be a good thing for those guys that try and choose difficult to play countries so yeah, it could probably stay to please them lol). Though yeah, this is more of a problem of vanilla's balancing rather than MAM lol.
    I'm sorry, I tried, but couldn't recreate your issue.
    As for the provinces, giant work has to be done on them (and also pops, also armies), but first in my priority list comes actually updating it to HoD standards, readding the interface tweaks and tons of bug-fixing. Don't worry though, the scenario is going to be improved.

Quote Originally Posted by lordrock8 View Post
    how do you install this? when i load the mod it comes up with the normal game
    You extract the contents of the .rar file to the mod subfolder in your Vic II install folder. Note you must have HoD 3.02b patch for it to work. Then, you just run the launcher and select the mod

Quote Originally Posted by Cissek View Post
    Are POPs reworked?
    Not yet, there are many annoying bugs I need to fix before the giant work that will require.

Quote Originally Posted by 99KingHigh View Post
    Time to think of possible events I suppose.

I am assuming that the game starts with war in the former Yugoslavia.
    I checked and it doesn't (I know it should), then I realized why: there are no standing troops at the game's start, so it would be rather unbalanced.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen94 View Post
    Looking good... shall download it now, and see what has been done, what needs to be done.
    Also culture will need to be sorted out... Having Poland majority German will not be that fun...
    Had a quick look, new technology names looks good, as does borders and south american border claims...

Obviously a lot of work to do regarding pops... An easy way to add a little tension would be to add an Argentine Core on the Falklands... Will you be wanting help with anything, or are you happy to just work on it by yourself...

Note: Events will also need to be added to flavour the game...
    Thanks. I agree with most of what you said. I think I need to sort the files a bit first because it's really messy at the moment. I'm keeping track of the organization and coding standards I'm using and will make the file available once I find it satisfying. After that, I doubt I can do the rest of the work by myself, and will accept help gladly. I'll contact you when that day comes (very soon, from the progress I've been making).

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    HOI3: Their Finest HourMarch of the EaglesNaval War: Arctic CircleVictoria: RevolutionsRome Gold
    Semper FiSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Mount & Blade: Warband500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The Republic
    Crusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

Looks good so far, I went through and wrote down everything I found that is wrong.

Countries that have the wrong flags: United Arab Emirates, Algeria, Ecuador, Greenland, Georgia (for the time period)

Political Parties in general (For example, the ruling party of Poland was the Royal Faction)

World Rankings: Because of the Developing status of the PRC and India, countries like the Central African Republic are ranked higher.

It says Canada has the number one military at the start, though I'm assuming this is because no one starts with an army.

No tech at the start of the game.

Palestine doesn't exist in Israel yet countries like South Ossetia do exist.

North Korea is a Proletarian Dictatorship, though they should be a Dictatorship (Because even North Korea says it isn't communist)

Leictenstein, Andorra and Monacco don't exist, yet they are still in the spheres of influence of Germany and France.

Events like Womens Suffrage still pop up a lot, shouldn't it be past those?

Couldn't events like the building of canals be already set off at the start of the game? Because if you play as Germany you turn on events that happened more than 100 years before the game starts.

Probably some others. I'm guessing you know most of these, but I figured I might as well put the ones I found so far if you don't know them.
    Last edited by n00bypl4y3r; 27-05-2013 at 07:00.
    I guess I won WritAAR of the week one week, so yeah. Yay.

Leo IV "The Khazar" of the OT subforum.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/ParadoxPlazaPizzeria
    The Paradox Plaza Pizzeria group. Join, or no pizza for you!

Quote Originally Posted by n00bypl4y3r View Post
    Looks good so far, I went through and wrote down everything I found that is wrong.

Countries that have the wrong flags: ... Georgia (for the time period)
    We had a talk about this in the last thread, but there's a couple states which are tricky in terms of flags (Georgia and Macedonia being the two I remember) - they changed flags part way through the time period, but not at the time of a very clear and distinct government change.

World Rankings: Because of the Developing status of the PRC and India, countries like the Central African Republic are ranked higher.
    I don't think that general issue can be fixed. There's reasons to make the PRC and India, among others, Developing states, and the game will put them below fully industrialized states (although the CAR's status probably should be changed) - even more minor industrialized states. It shouldn't cause too many problems in the game, though, especially once they industrialize fully.

It says Canada has the number one military at the start, though I'm assuming this is because no one starts with an army.
    And Canadians are just so well liked that even without an army they are a military power.

Palestine doesn't exist in Israel yet countries like South Ossetia do exist.
    The Palestinian National Authority started governing the areas with some actual control and autonomy in 1994ish, I believe, which makes sense as the starting point for actually having them as an in-game state (via an Oslo Accords decision/event chain).
    One of the issues is how to fit the various provinces in an area where the borders are much more intricate nowadays than in Victorian times.

North Korea is a Proletarian Dictatorship, though they should be a Dictatorship (Because even North Korea says it isn't communist)
    It's headed by a Worker's Party (if only in name) with a chairman and a state run economy, which fits fairly well with an in-game Proletarian Dictatorship. We might need more government types to fit all the nuances of different brands of crazy types of dictatorships which might pop up in the modern world. I'd leave it as a Proletarian Dictatorship (maybe changing the name) for now at least.
    Interactive AARs:
    Mutual Assured Destruction: The Presidents 1836-1936: Former Vice President William Gallatin
    Forward the Revolution(s)!: A Federation of "Equals" : Naval Officer Klemens Haas

HOI3: Their Finest HourMarch of the EaglesNaval War: Arctic CircleVictoria: RevolutionsRome Gold
    Semper FiSupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Mount & Blade: Warband500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The Republic

Quote Originally Posted by Gloa View Post
    I don't think that general issue can be fixed. There's reasons to make the PRC and India, among others, Developing states, and the game will put them below fully industrialized states (although the CAR's status probably should be changed) - even more minor industrialized states. It shouldn't cause too many problems in the game, though, especially once they industrialize fully.
    Well a lot of the world would have to be fixed because ALL of Africa is above China and India.

Also, for the flag changes mid game, you could just make another country identical to the original and have a event, when the time comes to switch the flag, to change to the next country with a proper flag. For Macedonia you could possibly also choose not to switch the flag and relations with Greece should go down a lot.
    Last edited by n00bypl4y3r; 28-05-2013 at 02:27.
    I guess I won WritAAR of the week one week, so yeah. Yay.

Leo IV "The Khazar" of the OT subforum.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/ParadoxPlazaPizzeria
    The Paradox Plaza Pizzeria group. Join, or no pizza for you!

HOI3: Their Finest HourMarch of the EaglesRome GoldSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

So far this is completely awsome, here is a list of some wars from that time http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...0%E2%80%932002 this will might be helpfull

Sweden has a constitutional monarchy, so it is HM's Government, not Democracy.

Thinking about it, trying to do POPs for the African countries will be fun... The Angolan Civil War, as well as the Sudanese Civil War were still on-going off the top of my head, not to mention Somalia, Somalialand etc...

This is a very big project... I shall see what I can do to find information for Pops etc...

How much was actually done by Arko because it seems to me like it was just all talk and nothing was done but I'm not sure. I never followed it that far, just wondering if you should credit him or me.

Also I was planning on porting this myself to HoD but you already did it so if you want help or whatever I can help.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 38 1 2 3 11 26 ... LastLast