• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

wartrain

Second Lieutenant
29 Badges
Sep 4, 2012
  • Darkest Hour
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Prison Architect
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • BATTLETECH
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Cities in Motion
  • Stellaris
  • 500k Club
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Lead and Gold
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
images

This will be an AAR (my first) for Japan in the Kaiserreich modification. Kaiserreich version 1.4 Beta 1. Darkest Hour 1.03 RC3. Why Japan? Well, I believe it offers plenty of options that haven't yet been explored in other AAR's and I have not yet ever played as Japan so this is a blind AAR that may or may not end in a last ditch effort to defend the Home Islands.

The main objective will be to expand Japan's power over the rest of the Pacific and maintain control over Korea.The secondary objective is to not die and try to enjoy the experience :happy:

Setup:
Difficulty/AI Aggressiveness: Normal/Normal
Cheats: No cheats will be used (to clear that up right now)
IC take over/tech team takeover: Off

(I am, like I said, new to this so please excuse any errors as the screenshot system I'm using is totally new to me)

Last edited:
Well, I've run into some issues thus far (screenshot taker sometimes doesn't respond to its "take screenshot" command and when I resized the Kaiserreich image for the first post nothing happened to the size at all) but I'll get it corrected and can hopefully post the first few months of gameplay tonight

Last edited:
Well, I've run into some issues thus far (screenshot taker sometimes doesn't respond to its "take screenshot" command and when I resized the Kaiserreich image for the first post nothing happened to the size at all) but I'll get it corrected and can hopefully post the first few months of gameplay tonight

Yeah, take it from someone who learned it the hard way: The DH screen capture command doesn't capture newspaper events, so you'll have to download a separate program for screen captures (FRAPS works well.

Anyway, good luck and welcome to AARland!

Yeah, take it from someone who learned it the hard way: The DH screen capture command doesn't capture newspaper events, so you'll have to download a separate program for screen captures (FRAPS works well.

Anyway, good luck and welcome to AARland!
Its quite nice to have you post here as your USA AAR is what inspired me to both make my own AAR (granted, took me some time) and inspired the name for my AAR. I'm trying to find the screen capture program that best suits my needs and hopefully I won't have any issues with getting screenshots into the thread.

Chapter 1 - Beginning of Our Future

During the Weltkrieg, Japan secured a so-called "Peace with Honor" against their hated enemies in the German Empire. The aftermath of the Weltkrieg saw the collapse of France and the United Kingdom, two of Japan's mightiest trading partners, and thus Japan itself fell into a spiraling economic collapse. This would be followed by years of turmoil. The despised German Empire struck hard and captured vast areas of China while Japan could do nothing, multiple revolutions were attempted, multiple leaders tried to control the Empire, and it had seemed that Japan would collapse in on itself.

Until, that is, the military successfully occupied Manchuria and helped to establish the nation of the Fengtien Republic which would be a loyal partner of Japan for many years along with Transumar. The success of this campaign showed the Japanese people that strength, stability, and a modern country could only be ensured by a strong military.

As of January 1, 1936, Japan is a prosperous nation. Our people are ruled by a government that is best described as social conservative. The loyal ministers of Emperor Hirohito run their respective departments efficiently. The policies of Japan are indecisive with many policies lying in the middle of the more extreme options as a result of the years when Japan's rulers were too cautious to create a mighty Japan. Hirohito had no such caution and he decided that the government would become more important in the outside world with a policy of interventionism.

policyz.jpg

Programs have been in place ever since the economy of the Empire began its recovery. The focus of Government-controlled production is to build up the Navy and has in its production a modern Air Carrier, which shows potential in ridding the Pacific of German Battleships once and for all. The process is slow, however, as the running of an Empire requires money, all the supplies a modern military requires, and state-of-the-art equipment. Soldiers are also being trained to fill empty ranks in some divisions of the army.

productionp.jpg

The Government has also hired groups of highly-intelligent scientists, military leaders, big business owners, and cabinet members. Currently, five groups have been hired in order to advance many areas. The Japanese Infantrymen, Military-Hospital System, troop transports, New ideas for the running of Japanese Industry, and modern artillery design are specified as the most important areas in need of technological advancement.

techn.jpg

Only a little over a week into the new year, it is apparent to Generals, Admirals, and Hirohito that Japan is faced with an oil shortage which could be crippling in the event of a war. Among the largest producers of oil in the world is the German Empire; however, not wishing to trade with the Germans, trade deals are secured with 3 other countries throughout the Earth. One such deal is with the Mexican Empire.

solvingoilshortage.jpg

With January winding down, the Emperor contacts the Chief of the Army and requests full reports on the situation on the Russian border and the border with the Qing Empire. Japan, Hirohito realizes, is relying too much on garrisons to guard the Russian border and plans a correction of this in due time. He also hopes that infantry divisions can be brought up to better defend the Qing-Japan border.

russianborder.jpg

chinaborder.jpg

In Febuary, the German Economy collapses and almost all of Europe is plunged into an economic crisis. Japan, thanks to the wisdom of Hirohito in avoiding trade with the German Empire, is free of this so-called "Black Monday".

The leader of Mongolia announced in early January that he would unite all the Ethnic Mongolians into a great Empire once-more. His threats were not taken seriously by any country, it seemed, but after forming an alliance with Tibet, military officials believe they are planning an invasion. Perhaps the Mongol leader actually believes he is the next Genghis Khan? Even if he is, no matter. The murderer Genghis Khan was stopped before taking any of Japan and so would this upstart were a war between Mongolia and Japan to take place. Either way, leaders plan war scenarios and try to come up with the best course of action in a Mongol War.

mongolianplansbegin.jpg

From February to April, not much happens in the Empire. Technological advances continue, as does the production of the Navy. Then, the Mongolian Army takes its first steps of expansion and sends in troops to "free" Mongols legally within the borders of Xibei Lianbang Yiyuan. This would start a war just days later.

beginningofawar.jpg

Instead of the predicted war, Xibei Lianbang Yiyuan cedes the territories the Mongols considered theirs in an attempt to keep their country intact. Their biggest fear was likely a two-front war with Mongolia and Tibet and as such, the barbaric Mongols aligning with Tibet had already payed off.

mongolswinthewar.jpg

The rest of April was uneventful for the Empire and Hirohito hopes that Japan's production can turn toward new, modern Infantry divisions that can defend Fengtien and Korea in case of war. The situation in Asia is unstable and this may either serve to increase Japanese holdings in Asia or threaten them in the future. Japan must itself decide if it will venture out to provide order among the chaos.

(coming in Chapter 2: A complete look at the military of the Japanese Empire and details of the emergency plans in case of war with Mongolia. Military plans also for the fight against the German Empire in the Seas.)

Last edited:
OK, chapter 2 should be added on Saturday. I'm experimenting heavily with the image editor to try to make the best quality pictures available but my ultimate goal is to give people a good AAR to read along with a fun experience for me.

Good luck!

Some bad news I'm afraid. I was taking some screenshots today for the AAR and when I finished the session I went to prepare the screenshots when the screenshots' colors were completely messed up. This happened repeatedly so I'm afraid that I have to find a new screenshot taker (had been using snappy)

Chapter 2 - Interesting Times

Early into the month of May, the French decide to host a convention where Syndicalists can gather. They call it the Third International and many countries decide to attend the warmongering convention.

Emperor Hirohito as well as several of the most influential people in the entire Japanese Military examine the carrier fleet. It is hoped that this fleet will be able to bring down the German Navy if our two countries ever go to war. The Carrier Fleet is led by the very capable, highly trusted Grand Admiral Taniguchi.

The civilians in Niigata believe that they have the right to take off from their jobs and do a strike in the street. Many sympathize with the strikers and the chaos spreads through some of the most important financial districts in all of Niigata. This is considered an outrage to Hirohito and members of his cabinet. They discuss all the options and Hirohito decided that a strong response was needed in order to both return order to the city and to quell all possibility of further strikes. He said, in no uncertain terms, "Send in the Army!"

At the same time as the Niigata strikes, Japan had to consider the status of Japanese-controlled Taiwan. Japan has controlled Taiwan for a great many years and as such, many of its natives speak the beautiful Japanese Language. However, Chinese is still more popular. It is decided that Taiwan will not be given its independence and that further steps will be taken in order to ensure Taiwan becomes fully integrated into the Japanese Empire. Japanese Culture will spread on the island and the people will be treated the same as any other Japanese citizen.

The Niigata riots have spread like a wildfire during a Heat Wave. Sending in the Army may not have been the best decision after all but there can be no regrets when the Game of Nations is being played on the world table. Will Japan falter and show weakness? NEVER! Hirohito declares Martial Law, a decision supported by the many reasonable Japanese Citizens in the Empire. Troops march through the cities, enforcing the laws as they are meant to be.

The Failures of the Weltkrieg all those years ago still remained on the mind of the Japanese Government. Relations with the other members of the Entente have been strained for many, many years. Finally, in early August, Hirohito decides it is time to officially withdraw Japan from the Entente. This means that Japan can be free to pursue its own diplomatic goals on the world stage, free from the restraints put in place by the remainders of a long-failed alliance.

After a series of events involving the Japanese Yakuza, the Legaton Triads, and the forced eviction of Japanese troops, a coup against the corrupt Legaton government succeeds and the Cities become a puppet in the ever-growing Japanese Empire.

Conservatives win with a very large majority in the General Elections this year. A good sign for Hirohito as the conservatives are more likely to agree with his decisions.

Right now, January 1 1937, is an interesting time. The 2nd Russian Civil War has broken out between the Russian Empire and the Syndicalist-backed Soviet Union. Japan gave its aid - and trust- to the Russian Empire with hopes they will prevail once more. There are increasing talks of rebellion in Korea and there are plans to transport 3 divisions of Hoheishidan to Korea if they revolt. Transamur has proven untrustworthy as they did not crackdown as we would have liked on the Agitators.

Still, there hasn't been a war in Asia besides that of the third-world Mongols. Yet...

So, what will your first target for expansion be?
Attacking the Qing is pretty rewarding, but there's the real possibility of Germany coming down on you.

Australasia may be more manageable if you don't mind fighting off the Entente for some time.