• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

ATBKING

Man Of The Highlands
14 Badges
Jul 17, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis III

The Tachibana clan was one of the Four most powerful clans in the Heian Period of Japan. They were also the weakest of the Four great powers.

The Tachibana Reside in the Two southern Islands of Japan. To their East lie The Taira. To the North Lie the Minamoto. To the West Lie China. To the South Lie Ryukyu. The Tachibana Shall Flourish, And I shall be the one to take them there....

This shall be a Narrative/Gameplay Style AAR. Like my Others. My Brittany is coming to a close and I want this one to be my next one. I Played as The Tachibana once before, and ended up forming Japan in 1423, Hopefully this time I slow it down, which I plan to do.

House Rules
1) Everything is on normal and Lucky Nations is on Random. .
2) My colonist are set to normal.
3) Vassal and PU Limit Is 3. Which means, no more then three nations can be my underlings at the same time.
4) Will not go over Infamy Limit. If Gone over the Infamy limit, then Vassals must be released until there are 5 points between amount and limit.
5) No Cheats
6) No war Without Casus Belli.
7) Trading will be a must. But only in owned provinces or Kyoto.

Expansion Goals
1) Japan
2) Korea
3) Manchu
4) Oceania
5) Indochina
6) China

Koketsu ni irazunba koji wo ezu
If you do not enter the tiger's cave, you will not catch its cub.

Table of Contents

Tachibana no Michiyo
第1章: Michiyo Looks Upon The World
第2章: Attack On The Taira
第3章: Peace With the Taira
第4章: What has Happened to Kyushu...
第5章: There Must Be A Way
第6章: Reclaiming Kyushu
第7章: The Great War Ends

Last edited:
I think you have way too much time on your hands. :) In any case, subbed.

Will be following this, like all your AARs. Since this time you will be trading are you going Merc or Free Trade, since you're sticking to owned provinces I guess Merc in which case are you going to try ofr perfect/near perfect monopolies?

Signing up, of course!

Subbed! I'm currently playing a Taira game myself with very similar house rules so I'm curious about how you'll do

Tachibana? Not a nation I expected you to play. Still, will be following this.

Subbed! I'm currently playing a Taira game myself with very similar house rules so I'm curious about how you'll do

Taira is a tricky one, rich but you'll get sandwitched pretty quickly if you don't play the diplomacy game.

I think you have way too much time on your hands. :) In any case, subbed.

I actually dont. I've been pretty busy recently with work. Its just that when I get home from work, I have about 5 hours to myself that I usually spend on the Forums.

Will be following this, like all your AARs. Since this time you will be trading are you going Merc or Free Trade, since you're sticking to owned provinces I guess Merc in which case are you going to try ofr perfect/near perfect monopolies?

Thank You. Im Going Free Trade. I seem to like that one more then the other. I should stay Merc at the beginning because Im a Japanese nation, but we shall see how it works. I might just buy an adviser to cope with my spy problem for going free trade. I will. If it is my province I will own a monopoly or have a plus 5.

Signing up, of course!

Thank You!!

Won't this be like your Ryukyu AAR? Either way I'll follow.

I pray to St. Andrew its not.... That was horrible.

count me in and paint the world :p

I shall paint the World Red!!! Or mod the color later.... Im playing as Tachibana, I might change Japans color to look the same.

I hope you dont get murked from all sides!!! That would be horrible!!

Tachibana? Not a nation I expected you to play. Still, will be following this.

Why not? I love the Tachibana!! Well, this Tachibana has nothing to do with the Sengoku Jidai Tachibana, but hey, I like them more then the other nations!! I actually wanted to download a mod to play as them or the Azai Clan, But I was having major mod trouble so oh well.

Also, Im thinking of making this one like my Frankfurt AAR just without the Interactivity. I shall see how it goes.

Last edited:
第1章: Michiyo Looks Upon The World

Voice: Michiyo-sama..... Michiyo-sama...... Michiyo-sama!!!
Michiyo: What is it..... Im trying to take a nap, Hisamasa-kun....
Hisamasa: I apologize Michiyo-sama, but this is urgent....
Michiyo: What is it?
Hisamasa: The Shogun has begun to move......

Michiyo sat up, wide awake.

Michiyo: Has he now.... Hahaha..... Looks like it is our time to move as well. Summon Takahashi-dono. Tell him to prepare the men for battle.
Hisamasa: Yes My Lord. Shall I also summon Kiyotomo-dono?
Michiyo: Yes Bring them all to the Court. I shall be waiting there.

Hisamasa bowed and left the room.

Michiyo went to stand, but someone grabbed his arm, not letting him move.

Michiyo turned and looked with a smile. Then lay his head back down and looked into the eyes of his wife, Asumi.

Michiyo: Whats wrong Asumi.
Asumi: Your about to go to war, arent you...
Michiyo:....... yes. I am.
Asumi: I wont be able to see you for a while, am I.
Michiyo: .....no
Asumi: I fear for you whenever you leave the castle.... There are many that are out for your life. If anything were to happen to you, I could not take it.
Michiyo: Asumi, I will be fine. It is my love for you that brings me home after every battle.
Asumi: I know my Lord. I will just miss you is all.

There was a knock at the door.

Hisamasa: My Lord. Both Master Takashi and Master Kiyotomo have been sent for. Their arrival is determined to be within a few hour. Shall I start guest preparations??
Michiyo: No wait a little longer. I shall oversee the preparations.
Hisamasa: As you wish my Lord.
Michiyo: It seems that I have a little more time to spend with you Milady.
Asumi: What shall we do with this new found time??
Michiyo: There are a few things I can think of....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prologue​

It is the Year 1401, four great Daimyo at the height of their power.

The Shogun, Norimichi of the Minamoto Clan. The Manipulative power hungry Shogun. He would stop at nothing, even the killing of his own family, to gain more power over the other Daimyo's. His castle lay in the province of Nagato. They wield the second Strongest army in Japan. But Will it be enough to take care of his enemies and fulfill his ambitions as Shogun?

Lord Takamochi, of the Taira Clan. Throughout the last few centuries, the Taira have been seen as one of the most hated clans in all Japan. This has not detered them though. Through countless battles, Lord Takimori has ensured the safety of his land from the threat of Invasions. He was known as one of the greatest Generals to ever walk Japan. Being Seen as the second most important man behind his ancestor Kiyomori Taira himself. But old age catches up to everyone, and soon, Takamori fell to it, leaving the clan to his son. Will the son be able to live up to his Fathers legacy. Or will he be cut down in the path of others ambitions?

Lord Yorimitsu of the Fujiwara clan. Known as the wildcard and ally to the Shogun, Minamoto. Yorimitsu is not to be trusted. He, Just like the Shogun, wishes to Bring all japan under his grasp. He has a love of women. So much, he has his own group of Geisha that only he can touch. He is the reason that the Tachibana are in the shape they are. After the Assassination of Michiyo's father by the hands of a Fujiwara spy, Tensions between all nations have been an all time high. The Fujiwara sit in a comfortable seat , Isolated from both the Minamoto and the Tachibana. They share borders with only the Taira. Lord Yorimitsu is a very demanding leader. He treats all others under him as nothing more then trash, throwing countless men into his army. Even Children if he feels. That is why, he wields the strongest army in Japan.

And Finally, the Tachibana Clan, led by Lord Michiyo. By far the Weakest of the four Daimyo. But, He has the one thing that none of the other Daimyo have. Incredible Genius. His smarts are what keep him alive. What keeps the Tachibana as a force to be reckoned with. Lord Michiyo has the smallest army, but the army was born, raised and trained on the Island of Kyushu and Shikoku. The Southern Islands are covered in tree's and Mountains. the Terrain isnt for grand armies. He knows this, but the others do not.

As these men grab for Honour and Power, The world will be shaken by whatever transpires out of this swirling Chaos....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Hisamasa: My Lord, The guest have all gathered.
Michiyo: Good. Lets go meet then.

They walked down this grand hallway, into a room where a dozen men sat.

The room got silent and bowed to Michiyo. He in return did the same.

Michiyo: As you may know by now, the Shogun has declared war on the Taira Clan. Their Ally, Fujiwara, have also joined the war against them.

Murmurs filled the room.

Michiyo: We are going to declare war on the Taira, and seize whatever land we can.
Voice: Master, I object. We should wait and sit back. They arent turning their spears at us. we should just leave the Situation be.
Michiyo: And what do we do when the Taira are no more, and the Minamoto and Fujiwara are so strong that we cannot even stand up to them anymore. We should try gaining more land and using it against the Minamoto.
Voice: But why would you go against the Shogun?
Michiyo: Do you value the way you are living now? If you do, then you will fight for what you believe in. I fight for my safety and the safety of my loved ones. If you dont agree with that.....

Michiyo stood up and placed a small knife on the floor.

Michiyo: Then Seppuku is your only option. That or killing me in cold blood, dishonouring your ancestors and giving in to your enemies. You decide now.

He turns and walks out of the room.

Voice: That was some speech my lord.
Michiyo: Ah, Takahashi. You have arrived. How fairs the army?
Takahashi: They await your orders to march My lord. As do I.
Michiyo: Good, we have wasted enough time as is. My horse is ready. Head for the Province of Settsu and Kii. Those two provinces will make a fine addition to our Clan.
Takahashi: That they will my Lord.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Kiyomoto: My Lord, The Fujiwara have sent a letter to you. They say they know you are about to declare war on Taira. They say that If you do not ally with them, then they and Minamoto will declare war on us.
Michiyo: Yorimitsu you Sly bastard. How would he know that when we havent even left the castle yet.
Kiyomoto: My Lord, do you think there may be a infiltrator amongst us?
Michiyo: I would not put the idea down. Actually that seems to be the case. Damn you Yorimitsu. Does your trickery know no end? This is obviously a trap. He knows we are trying to gain power. He probably has one set up for us already. But I am afraid that I cant back off now. We must walk into it. The Fujiwara have a different objective then we do. I am sure of it.
Kiyomoto: So shall I sent the request for an Alliance?
Michiyo: Yes. As much as it pains me. We must say yes. We need to gain the provinces of Kii and Settsu....
Kiuyomoto. Very Well my Lord. And please. Return Safely.
Michiyo: I will.

UZNxPaT.jpg

第1章 End​

Last edited:
Kiyomoto: My Lord, The Fujiwara have sent a letter to you. They say they know you are about to declare war on Taira. They say that If you do not ally with them, then they and Minamoto will declare war on us.

Picture says Fujiwara have accepted our offer to enter into a military alliance. Hypocrisy much?

A decent start. What annoyed me when I played Tachibana was how Minamoto immediately declared war on Ryukyu, and all of us got overrun by Ming, but since Tachibana's army is easily trapped and routed on the islands you end up getting occupied and your territory gets given away to secure peace. Stupid shogun. So it's good that you started with some traditional fratricide.

Also, I'm curious as to how much you're familiar with actual Japanese culture or the language. Since you're writing in a narrative/dialogue style, I'd be interested to see you throw in some more local references, if you know about them.

And Fujiwara is best daimyo. =)
<- Avatar

Picture says Fujiwara have accepted our offer to enter into a military alliance. Hypocrisy much?

A decent start. What annoyed me when I played Tachibana was how Minamoto immediately declared war on Ryukyu, and all of us got overrun by Ming, but since Tachibana's army is easily trapped and routed on the islands you end up getting occupied and your territory gets given away to secure peace. Stupid shogun. So it's good that you started with some traditional fratricide.

Also, I'm curious as to how much you're familiar with actual Japanese culture or the language. Since you're writing in a narrative/dialogue style, I'd be interested to see you throw in some more local references, if you know about them.

And Fujiwara is best daimyo. =)
<- Avatar

I was Trying to make it look like The Tachibana are being Set up. It seems that I failed on that aspect. I actually had that happen in one of my games that I was going to use this AAR for, but I ended up going over the infamy limit so I started over. If It makes you happy, I gave my friend my Free EU3 Key and he popped his EU3 cherry with the Fujiwara to my dismay.

I am actually fluent in Japanese culture. I spent ages 5-13 in Japan. So basically, It would be like a spansih person living in america. You are taught both languages as you grow up. I know Japanese customs like I know my American and Scottish customs. The thing is, I wasnt sure if others were familiar with the customs, so I Kinda tried to dumb it down.

Oh and Im more of a Sengoku Jidai Person. And the Date Clan is the Best.

YOU.......... DAMN YOU and your good writing and interesting AARs! I have work to do :(

I am actually fluent in Japanese culture. I spent ages 5-13 in Japan. So basically, It would be like a spansih person living in america. You are taught both languages as you grow up. I know Japanese customs like I know my American and Scottish customs. The thing is, I wasnt sure if others were familiar with the customs, so I Kinda tried to dumb it down.

Well... I'm no weaboo but I liked that part with his girl.

YOU.......... DAMN YOU and your good writing and interesting AARs! I have work to do :(

Teehee!! I await to see your product of an AAR!! I Love reading AAR's almost as much as I like Writing them!!

Well... I'm no weaboo but I liked that part with his girl.

HAHA!! I was called a weaboo once in High School. I laughed so hard I got got 3 days out of school suspension. That was the first itme I ever heard of a weaboo. But yea, that scene actually played a role. I actually feel like writing Chapter 2 now.....

Last edited:
HAHA!! I was called a weaboo once in High School. I laughed so hard I got got 3 days out of school suspension. That was the first itme I ever heard of a weaboo. But yea, that scene actually played a role. I actually feel like writing Chapter 2 now.....

He's going to die, right? :p

Write the chapter now, I need something to do instead of studying.

第2章: Attack On The Taira

Takahashi: What is this nonsense about us forming an Alliance with the same men that killed your father!!
Michiyo: I know Takahashi-dono. I dont like this either. But they promised us that they wont attack if we form an alliance with them.
Takahashi: I dont care!! I refuse to help the nation that killed your father!!
Michiyo: And I refuse to sit by and watch the Minamoto and Fujiwara clans grow stronger as I watch. I refuse to sit by and wait for them to turn their ire towards my wife. I REFUSE to allow the Minamoto to do anymore damage then they have already done!!! Do I make myself clear? I am marching to the front gates of hell with my arms wide open, If thats what it takes!!! And I will do it alone. But If I leave these grounds, and you dont leave with me, then you better not be here when I get back!!
Takahashi: How Could you say such things, Michiyo-sama. I would never turn my back on you. I have been here for you since you took over the clan. I would never betray you. I would take my own life before serving another.
Michiyo: I must also apologize. This whole thing with the Fujiwara and the spy. Walking into this trap and being a sitting duck for an attack in unknown land haunts my mind. I dont know how many of us will make it back. That scares me.
Takahashi: My Lord, your loyal retainers are here for you. And I, you general of the army, will command your armies to lead to victory.
Michiyo: Thank You. Now, we need to wait for the signal. We should be getting word from Akumura soon.
Voice: Im sorry my Lord. I was just waiting for you to finish your conversation.

Michiyo turned around. Takahashi pulled out his Katana, not knowing who was there.

Michiyo: Ah, Akumura. How did the 'Claim of Kii' go?
Akumura: Very well my Lord. Although I did not slip through un noticed, I did get the Job done. We might have to employ another Ninja to get the job done next time.
Michiyo: No, I trust you and only you with these things. Also, You wear all black and have on a mask. They didnt see your face....
Akumura: That may also be the Case. But then how did they know that I was from the Tachibana?
Michiyo: There is a giant Mon(Name of Japanese Clan Crests) on your back......
Akumura: That Might Explain everything....
Michiyo: Either way, you have yet to fail me. And for that, You have my continued gratitude.
Akumura: Your words clear my blood stained soul my lord. Is there anything else you need of me?
Michiyo: Yes, Now that Kii has been dealt with, can you go ahead and go for Settsu as well? And if you can get that done fast enough, take care of Yamato as well.
Akumura: your words are my meaning of life my lord.

Michiyo turns and looks back at Takahashi who still has his sword drawn.

Takahashi: I hate Ninjas.....
Michiyo: I know you do.

Rn2T2Ps.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the front lines, in the province of Settsu

Michiyo: This battle seems to be taking its toll. We have been at war for nearly a year and we have nothing to show for it.
Takahashi: Yes, this battle seems to be taking a toll for the worst. The men are losing moral. They are becoming frustrated.
Michiyo: But there isnt much we can do.....

A soldier runs up to Michiyo. Bows and holds up a rolled up peace of paper.

Voice: Michiyo-sama. This just came for you.
Michiyo: This better not be another request for white peace....

All the men around him laughed. He opened it up and began to read it.

To My Beloved Michiyo,

I wanted to wait for you to return home first but I cant seem to hold it in. The day you left and we spent that time together, it made me feel like the luckiest woman alive. I actually had trouble walking right for two days. It was painful, but you made me feel loved. I cant wait for you to return so we can spend some more alone time together. I know that is unlady like of me, but these are my true feelings for you. I love you more then Takahashi Hates Ninjas. Which he would make a great one because I know he is reading this over your shoulder. Tell him I said Hello.​

Michiyo: Takahashi, Asumi says....
Takahashi: Hello? Yea I know.
Michiyo: Stop reading my letters over my shoulder.
Takahashi: I would do no such thing.

Also, this is the most important part and the reason I sent you this letter. I knew you would be gone for a while, but I didnt know exactly how long. I got pregnant, and a week ago, I had a son. I have not named him yet, for you his father are going to name him. I await your return my love. And come back With a name for your first born son.​

With All My Love,

Asumi​

Michiyo smiled from ear to ear. He looked up at Takahashi who was smiling just as wide as he was. The men all looked at him with confusion.

Michiyo: I..... I..... I have a son........ I HAVE A SON!!!!!! MEN!!!! THE TACHIBANA NAME LIVES ON!!!!!

All the Soldiers scream Banzai!!! BANZAI BANZAI BANZAI!!!!

Michiyo: Takahashi, What do I do, What do I do.
Takahashi: Go back to your Wife!!! Come up with a name and enjoy the evening with the woman you love.
Michiyo: Are you sure? What about the war?
Takahashi: I can handle this. Plus I just got an incentive to go to war!! Men, Dont you want to go home and see your loved ones and Wife?

OI!! OI!! The soldiers screamed.

Takahashi: Then lets March!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

p6BbnjC.jpg

MiMTCAD.jpg

Michiyo ran through the front door of his castle. ran straight to his bedroom to see his wife laying there, holding a blanket in her arms. He crept over to her, tears started to fill his eyes as he looked at his first born son, for the first time. He lay down next to his wife and embraced her, giving her a kiss on the forehead. She responded with a kiss on the Cheek. No words were said.... They just held on to each other, all through the night, with smiles on their faces....

The next day he awoke, Both Asumi and their son Kiminaga were still asleep. He walked out into the courtyard to see Akumura standing there.

Michiyo: How Fairs the war Akumura?
Akumura: It has turned in our Favor. Here.

OiWz6Ng.jpg

Vnq01lV.jpg

Michiyo: Both Yamato and Settsu. I know the other clans arent happy about that. There wont be any more conquests for a while after this one.
Akumura: Lord, there is also something else I want you to know.
Michiyo: What is it?
Akumura: Both the Minamoto and the Fujiwara ended their war with the Taira. But the thing is, They didnt ask for anything but monetary ceding. No land was passed....

i4BAm8n.jpg

Michiyo looked like he was in deep thought.... Then he got a startled look on his face.

Akumura: Michiyo-sama?
Michiyo: Dammit!! How could I have been so blind!!

The Baby started crying from the other room. Michiyo ran into the room with his sword drawn.

Asumi: Calm down Michiyo, the baby was startled by your yelling. Everything is ok.
Michiyo: Oh, how stupid of me. I am sorry. Are you ok.
Asumi: I am fine my lord.
Michiyo: Are you fit for travel?
Asumi: I am, My lord. What is wrong.
Michiyo: I have been played the fool!! The Taira war was just a set up!! The Minamoto never intended to annex the Taira. They used it to draw me out!! The Alliance with the Fujiwara and us was a front to let us feel protected. I walked right into it!! I knew it was going to be bad but I didnt know this was how it was going to go!! Hurry, You dont have that much time!! Akumura!!
Akumura: Yes My Lord
Michiyo: I must hurry back to the men. They are in just as much trouble. If I dont hurry to warn them, Then they will be caught in a double sided war. Akumura, also send word to the Shinsengumi, tell them that Asumi-hime and the rest of the people in this castle are to be transfered to Tosa IMMEDIATELY!!!
Akumura: Yes My lord.
Asumi: Michiyo.... Im scared for the Baby....
Michiyo: I wont let anyone hurt either of you. Now hurry, You must get to Tosa!!

Akumura ran into the room.

Akumura: My lord. This just arrived.....

He handed him a piece of paper with the Minamoto seal on it.

Hz3leg0.jpg

Michiyo: Damn. I was too late to realize. Asumi. Leave now. The Minamoto are on their way here. Leave now!!

Asumi Kissed her husband. He kissed the Baby and she was helped down the hallway to the Courtyard, where a horse and carriage awaited her. She turned and looked at Michiyo. There were tears rolling down her cheeks. She took one last look at him. Because they both knew.....

This might be the Last time they ever see each other.....

第2章End​

Last edited:
I need to let you know what 第章 means. It stands for Chapter in Japanese Romanji. Basically how the Japanese write latin. So those 第2章 is chapter two and so on as it goes up.

I just... have to sub to this.

I must be doing one hell of a good job then!! This hurts that I cant update it till next week... Now its time to go work on Frankfurt!!

Last edited: