• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Synario

Captain
18 Badges
Jun 11, 2012
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Crusader Kings II
  • March of the Eagles
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
After playing several mods like Vikingr and Full invasion 2 I've come to the conclusion that even with a group of strangers that are somewhat willing to work together, you can effectively make yourself invincible to cavalry.

I suppose my question is what exactly determines the 'charging' and pushing power of cavalry vs infantry.

How many infantrymen, in rows facing towards the charging cavalry, can cavalry "stomp" through? 2 at most? What other factors are there and does this change that?

It seems in my experience that if you form a shieldwall, shoulder to shoulder, no amount of cavalry can knock you down in a frontal charge.

Maybe cavalry as far as charging power goes are bit underpowered? A full armored knight on a warhorse should be able to 'crash' through and knock down probably two rows of infantry before getting mugged down and stopped. It seem if the infantry are packed together now you can't even get one man deep into the formation while charging as cavalry.

Was there a update that changed this? I remembered at least in vanilla I used to be able to charge through at least 2 or 3 ranks deep.

Sounds fairly realistic though. Cavalry did always have problems with frontal assaults against dense formation infantry fighting defensively.

That's why they did things like "outflank/attack from the rear" or "hang around while archery whittles the infantry down". Once armies were well organized, cavalry charges dropped in power until the "pistol charge" was introduced, where a volley of pistol fire would be used to disorganise the defenders (killing/hurting a few of them) to make it possible for the charge to penetrate.