• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Cerber

Sergeant
64 Badges
Nov 28, 2003
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • War of the Roses
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • BATTLETECH
  • Surviving Mars
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Victoria 2
I`m playing as Japan. At the end of november 1942 I get this error message:

crit error.jpg

A strange error message. I have never seen something similar.

Hi got a CTD in first week of august 1947 while playing as Germany. Checksum ONPM. Save game attached.

Attachments

• save games.7z
    1,3 MB · Views: 17
not really a bug but i wanted to mention it anyway: subs are a real pain. I tried to stop German subs with DD-ASW as Uk but just couldn't. Most of the time my DD groups (3-6 ships) didn't find them and if the did find a pack (1 - 3 subs) the battle outcome was pretty random. Sometimes los a DD sometimes sink a sub. Tech was up to date... so i got really frustrated when my screen just filled with those "convoy sunk" messages
I was more successfull on ASW duty with a 25 ship CTF. Considering that DD-ASW should be THE subkiller I am not sure it's good the way it's now. maybe I just do it wrong, how many DDs should be on ASw duty between atlantic and north sea to make a difference?
I will play a Germany game and try to exploit this the other way round mauling UK convoys with subs and report again. Would like to hear an opinion on this issue though.

not really a bug but i wanted to mention it anyway: subs are a real pain. I tried to stop German subs with DD-ASW as Uk but just couldn't. Most of the time my DD groups (3-6 ships) didn't find them and if the did find a pack (1 - 3 subs) the battle outcome was pretty random. Sometimes los a DD sometimes sink a sub. Tech was up to date... so i got really frustrated when my screen just filled with those "convoy sunk" messages
I was more successfull on ASW duty with a 25 ship CTF. Considering that DD-ASW should be THE subkiller I am not sure it's good the way it's now. maybe I just do it wrong, how many DDs should be on ASw duty between atlantic and north sea to make a difference?
I will play a Germany game and try to exploit this the other way round mauling UK convoys with subs and report again. Would like to hear an opinion on this issue though.

I managed it fine in my last game. You can't kill them all immediately and you will take some losses, but it will happen. I found that the best hunter killer group is two DDs with an old CV (the latter to spot them). I also keep Short Sunderlands flying around as much as possible. They're great.

Well, it´s called the Battle of the Atlantic and it should go on for some time with no clear winner. And it should neither be one-sided with the subs slaughtering everything nor with the Royal Navy ruling the waves already in 1941.

not really a bug but i wanted to mention it anyway: subs are a real pain.

You're in exalted company, lolli. Reflecting after the war, Churchill said "...the only thing that ever really frightened me during the war was the U-boat peril'. Given that assessment, I think subs should be a real pain.

Considering that DD-ASW should be THE subkiller I am not sure it's good the way it's now.

There's a complexity here that's difficult to fully mirror in game. While DD-ASW were indeed THE subkillers from the start of the war through to 1941-2, but as occurs in the game the 'THE' was very much lower case. After that THE real subkiller, and the ultimate counter to the U-Boat threat, was the Hunter-Killer Group. DD-ASWs accounted for most of the 'killer' element in these groups, but the hunting was done primarily by aircraft flown off CVEs or operating long-range patrol runs from distant land bases. Given that, I'm happy enough for DDs operating alone to miss opportunities from time to time.

Subs are just perfect in this mod. I lost a fucking battlecruiser to an outdated sub in the Red Sea. Subs are just like they were in real life, a constant nuisance and a diffuse potential danger even to the pride of the fleet. You just can't send your fleets and convoys around recklessly anymore.

There's a complexity here that's difficult to fully mirror in game. While DD-ASW were indeed THE subkillers from the start of the war through to 1941-2, but as occurs in the game the 'THE' was very much lower case. After that THE real subkiller, and the ultimate counter to the U-Boat threat, was the Hunter-Killer Group. DD-ASWs accounted for most of the 'killer' element in these groups, but the hunting was done primarily by aircraft flown off CVEs or operating long-range patrol runs from distant land bases. Given that, I'm happy enough for DDs operating alone to miss opportunities from time to time.

The only real problem is that in the game engine sea units can not engage enemy ships that are spotted and engaged by air units. They need to detect them themselves. So you can have a NAV bombing subs and in the same area a DD fleet that sits doing nothing.

It's important to remember as well that until the idea of hunter/killer groups was invented, the UK only really worked against U-Boats passively, i.e. by defending convoys and attempting to sink submarines that attacked them.

Also, given how much people complain about the poor AI, it's ironic when they then complain that it's giving them a run for their money! Just kidding... but seriously, isn't one of the selling points of CORE that it makes the Battle of the Atlantic a much tougher fight?

I just have a question about synthetic materials plants. The conversion rate for synthetic oil has been radically lowered, but the oil-to-rares ratio remains quite high. Is this WAD?

The only real problem is that in the game engine sea units can not engage enemy ships that are spotted and engaged by air units. They need to detect them themselves. So you can have a NAV bombing subs and in the same area a DD fleet that sits doing nothing.

From my experience i think there is a connection between your planes detecting an enemy fleet and subsequently your fleet detecting the enemy fleet, both engaging at the same time. But maybe its just a feeling.

I tried it now the other way round, its a blast ripping allied convoys to shreds and taking any enemy ships that come close in the process. Groups of 3 subs do the trick just fine.
One complaint though: upgrading short range and mid range subs is a pain. One hast odd numbers the other doesn't. So The next model of a short or medium sub is 2 numbers higher which means you have to upgrade the production line twice "jumping" over the respective other sub class, effectively killing gearing and progress.

From my experience i think there is a connection between your planes detecting an enemy fleet and subsequently your fleet detecting the enemy fleet, both engaging at the same time. But maybe its just a feeling.

You mean the fleet is already in the seazone and does not see the enemy, then a plane arrives, spots the enemy fleet and then your fleet is able to engage as well? Interesting, I'll try to simulate this next time.

I don't think there's a direct connection, but sometimes 'cross-overs' do occur. I've had battles where aircraft and DDs seem to detect a sub flotilla almost simultaneously, but I've also had the extremely frustrating experience of having my NAVs furiously bombing, with little effect, a bunch of subs that they've detected, while my DDS in the same seazone sail in blissful circles charmed by the ocean's majesty.

I think you could probably get more consistent results by adding a CVE to your destroyer groups. While that still wouldn't capture the entire reality of the historical situation the added detection should get you closer to it.

After that THE real subkiller, and the ultimate counter to the U-Boat threat, was the Hunter-Killer Group.
Just out of curiosity, by 'after' do you mean from 1943 onwards? I remember reading somewhere that the Hunter-Killer Group tactic was a failure, but if I remember correctly, that book only covered 1939-1942.