• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Derahan

Ever doubtful
27 Badges
Oct 30, 2009
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • 500k Club
  • 200k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Rome Gold
  • March of the Eagles
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Rise of Prussia
  • Pride of Nations
  • East India Company
  • Sword of the Stars
AARbanner21_zpsea35eb32.png

Greetings there reader! I welcome you to yet another astounding issue of the new AARlander which you will hopefully find very interesting. With this new edition follows a number of changes, some may be unseen and some is still unseen but will appear in the future if you are a continuous reader and follow the AARlanders releases! Now please notice the last post in the thread as it is about the Yearly Completed AAR Awards, so go forth and vote for the sake of Paradox Interactive forum AARing!

So as usual I want to give my gratitude to those people who made this new AARlander possible. First and foremost, my thanks goes to Canonized and the others, who along him, worked on the first AARlander and made this one possible with their work there, otherwise this AARlander would not be here (most likely). Secondly I want to thanks the moderators who made it possible for me to do this and came up with the idea to revive the AARlander for a second round. Thirdly I want to thank Gen. Marshall, the one who has made the graphics and also is spreading the word about the AARlander on the forums and last but not the least all of those who has contributed to this number of the AARlander, a many thanks to you all who in the end makes this possible with your articles.

And yet, a final thank you to you readers who when you read this, makes us others who work with the AARlander filled with the spirit to continune our work here! Thank you!

And as usual the feedback thread! Critique on!

Code:
[b][SIZE=4][URL="http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?687378-AARlander-Edition-8&p=15440647&viewfull=1#post15440647"]Just who the heck is... Avindian? by Misterbean[/URL]

[URL="http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?687378-AARlander-Edition-8&p=15440655&viewfull=1#post15440655"]The Little Unciv that could by Rensslaer[/URL]

[URL="http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?687378-AARlander-Edition-8&p=15440661&viewfull=1#post15440661"]Twelve Questions by Tanzhang[/URL]

[URL="http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?687378-AARlander-Edition-8&p=15440669&viewfull=1#post15440669"]A Letter from St. Petersburg by DensleyBlair[/URL]

[URL="http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?687378-AARlander-Edition-8&p=15440683&viewfull=1#post15440683"]Doppelgänger by Gen. Marshall
[/URL]
[URL="http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?687378-AARlander-Edition-8&p=15440716&viewfull=1#post15440716"]Yearly Completed AAR Awards[/URL][/SIZE][/B]

Last edited:
Misterbeanbanner2_zps21843f5f.png

Just who the heck is…Avindian?

What can you tell us of the person behind Avindian?

Let's see. I'm a 30 year old American, married, but no children. I'm a PhD candidate at Kansas State University (which means all that is left is the dissertation), working on Russian naval history in the first half of the twentieth century. I'm going to Russia from July to May of 2014 to do my archival research and thus finish the dissertation.

What did the name Avindian come from?

It's an old internet handle I've used. It comes from my two favorite sports teams (at the time): the Colorado Avalanche (NHL) and the Cleveland Indians (MLB).

Your AARs are amazingly diversified. Novum Romanum Imperium is a narrative, The Ulcer erupts is standard gameplay, Descent Into Madness is a wonderful slapstick parody on “Quantum Leap” (1), your HOI3 AARs are interactive.
Which holds your preference and why?

It honestly depends. I often have multiple AARs running at once. Gameplay are the quickest to write; I just report what I did and why I did it (if I remember). Narratives take much longer for me, because not only do I have to think about characters, but I have to come up with legitimate reasons for their actions that make sense for the characters. The hardest for me to write, truly, are the comedy AARs. I can and do use incidental comedy in most of my AARs, but the harder I try to be funny, the less funny I actually am.

So, if I'd have to choose, I'd say narrative AARs, which are the most rewarding but take the most time.

You are not only diverse in style, but you have AARs across the forum (HOI3, EU3, V2, CK2, MOTE). Which game gives you the most pleasure as an AARtist and why?

My favorite Paradox game, personally, is probably V2, although I've logged more hours in EU3. CK2 is an AAR writer's dream because the game gives you so much detail for character it's not funny. MOTE does too, but for me, the time period is too short to do a really good narrative (although writers like Seelmeister and Mastahcheef17 have come up with a great way of doing them; check them out!). The EU3 AARs feel more epic because of the time frame, but that also makes them take longer to write.

The challenge of writing Vicky 2 narrative AARs is very enticing; I'm especially proud of Novum Romanum Imperium 2.0 for exactly that reason. The game gives you little to work with from a narrative standpoint; you have to rely on your own knowledge of history to make a truly plausible story.

I have lurked a bit in your Soviet interactive AAR for hearts of Iron III. The level of RP you sometimes get must give you great satisfaction, but how hard is it to keep everything running smoothly?

A lot depends on the players. I have some experience dealing with large numbers of people -- I'm a graduate teaching assistant -- and I am usually dealing with very bright and well informed individuals. Of all the types of AARs, it's the easiest, physically, to write. They do most of the work; I'm more an editor (like the noble Derahan) than an actual writer. There are lulls, sure, but they aren't insurmountable. We, the People stopped entirely at least twice; a lot of the lessons from that AAR have served me well in this one.

Avindian’s Inkwell
For Europa Universalis III
Republic of Russia: A Novgorod Divine Wind AAR
Started 2/24/11 - Completed 4/1/11
Tied for second place in Writing with the StAARs, Third Place in the EU3 OscAARs for 2011

Novum Romanum Imperium: A Tuscany DW AAR
Started 4/9/11 - Completed 2/15/12
Won WritAAR of the Week 6/13/11; Co-winner of Best Narrative EU 3 AAR, Q2 2011; Character WritAAR of the Week 9/12/11; Winner of Best Narrative EU 3 AAR, Q3 2011

Descent into Madness: A Random EU 3 AAR
Started 11/4/11 - Completed 6/7/12
Weekly AAR Showcase 12/4/11; Character WritAAR of the Week 1/24/12; Best Comedy EU 3 AAR in the 2011 ACAs; Tied for second in Q2 2012 ACAs for EU3!

The Hohenzollerns megacampaign part 2: For God and the family (Bavaria DW 5.2)
Started 2/23/13 - Completed ???

For Victoria II
Syni Kyiva (Sons of Kyiv) -- Ukraine Tutorial AAR
Started 4/2/11 - Completed 5/22/11

Republic of Russia Part 2: Vicky 2 Conversion AAR
Started 9/19/11 - Abandoned 11/13/11

Novum Romanum Imperium 2.0 -- an AHD Vicky 2 Conversion AAR
Started 2/22/12 -- Completed 9/29/12
Weekly AAR Showcase week of 4/29; co-winner, Favorite Narrative Vicky 2 AAR, ACAs Q1 2012; Writer of the Week 6/4/12

Chaos's Revenge: A Random AHD AAR
Started 6/30/12 -- Completed 9/5/12
Winner of Best Character Writer of the Week for 8/26/12

Reliving the Restoration -- A Japanese Tutorial AHD AAR
Started 8/18/12 -- Completed 11/11/12
Weekly AAR Showcase, week of 11/25/12

A return to Dutch arithmetic -- A Netherlands AHD AAR (2.31)
Started 11/15/12 -- Completed 2/11/13
2nd best Vicky 2 AAR, Q4 2012 ACAs

The advantages of backwardness: A Russian Empire NNM AHD AAR
Started 2/3/13 -- Completed 4/10/13

Nobody expects the Spanish expedition: An 1861 Spain HOD Beta AAR
Part 1|Part 2|Part 3
Started 4/5/13 -- Completed 4/13/13

For Hearts of Iron III
We, the People: A USA FTM Interactive AAR
Started 1/8/12 -- Completed 2/20/13

Tukhachevsky's Army and the Politburo -- an Interactive Soviet TFH AAR Admin|Updates
Started 2/27/13 -- Completed ???

For Crusader Kings II
The rise of the Hohenzollerns -- A CK2 Mega Campaign AAR
Started 9/14/12 -- Completed 2/23/13
Tied for fourth best CKII AAR, ACAs, Q3 2012; tied for best CKII AAR, ACAs, Q4 2012; Character Writer of the Week, 3/2/13

For March of the Eagles
The ulcer erupts -- A Spanish AAR
Started 4/11/13 -- Completed 5/3/13

Fan of the week 4/24/2011 and 10/15/2012

(1) Quantum leap was a US science fiction series from the late ’80s or early ‘90s that starred a guy being propelled through time every single episode. When he arrived, he would inhabit the body of someone from that time period. He would be expected to solve some kind of crisis, aided by an invisible assistant, before being allowed to “leap” again.

Last edited:
Rensslaerreviews_zps2b615fbd.png

V2 Review: The Little Unciv That Could, by Benandorf

At time of writing (1st week of May) there aren’t many AARs yet for the new V2 expansion, Heart of Darkness. At least a couple of those that have been started are video AARs. That’s an increasingly popular genre that I’m not quite used to yet, but I had fun watching the videos for Benandorf’s The Little Unciv That Could.

He takes the reins of Japan, guiding it toward conquest, westernization, and eventual great power status.

Benandorf’s very aggressive strategy throws you into war right away. This isn’t a patient Asian empire. It’s immediately clear that he aims for Japan to be at the center of world events by the middle of the 19th Century.

I think I’m not the only one of us who’s a little wary of video AARs – comments for those that exist are relatively scarce, which makes me wonder if readers typically avoid them. But Benandorf’s gameplay pace and easy, confident voice bring you into the narrative quickly – it’s not a boring or disjointed AAR. Try it – you’ll like it!

He narrates in stream of consciousness mode, letting you know why he’s doing what he does. This method is pretty useful, both in making an interesting AAR, but also for learning players who might want to know how to play the new expansion. He does move kind of fast to pick things up if you’re not familiar with HOD. Not that he’s obligated to slow down – he didn’t introduce this as a tutorial AAR, but it serves as one simply because there isn’t a lot of other material out there already. Keep the pause button handy if you want to take a closer look. By the 3rd video he takes more time to explain the details of domestic policy – there’s a real tight focus on warfare in the first 2 videos.

It’s funny, the pause button is essentially invisible in most AARs, because they’re written. Benandorf doesn’t use the pause button a lot – he thinks and plays on the fly, in definite contrast to plotters (plodders) like me. It’s a sign that he’s comfortable with a little bit of wasted time in-game in return for a faster gameplay experience. It also shows that he’s got at least a generalized plan going in, and doesn’t have to think a lot about what’s next. He’s quick on his feet – you can tell from his comments, as he thinks he might do something, then decides it’s too risky. It’s good to hear his rationale for these rapid fire choices, most of which I agree with.

He does make some mistakes – pretty sure they’re simple carelessness. He appears to be very comfortable with the game – he doesn’t strike me as a novice. He didn’t do a lot of research until the late ‘40s, but it hardly holds him back. He didn’t lose the Research Points, which build up, but he did cheat himself out of any incremental gains he might have had by getting certain techs which add to the economy or military force. He highlights a new “reform” feature in HOD which uses research points and seems to have some parallel effects to the tech tree. These reforms apparently somewhat made up for his lack of a tech research program.

Now, I can’t promise for sure that Benandorf is continuing this AAR. Why would I review an AAR that may not continue? Well, first off, it’s certainly possible, even likely, that it will proceed from his stopping point in the 1870s. It’s only been 4 days idle at time of this writing. I only wonder because he posted 14 videos in about that many days, and then stopped. There hadn’t been very many comments, and maybe he felt no one was watching.

But to answer my question, what’s there already is fascinating, fun, and worthy of a read. I also wanted to feature a good new HOD AAR, not to mention the video format, both of which are new. I wanted to encourage new writers, and give them reason to stick it out. And I also want to remind readers of the importance of commenting – there are some gems out there you might miss out on if you don’t encourage the writers and let them know you’re there.

Just an FYI from an experienced AAR writer, one update a day is really too fast for people to read/watch and it can be exhausting for the writer too – a steady pace, spaced out, is better, and prevents burnout for readers/writers alike. I also think it takes just as long to get followers, no matter how many updates you post. So wait a couple of weeks, maybe even longer, and don’t get discouraged if you’re not yet getting a lot of feedback. People are probably reading, just maybe not commenting.

When Benandorf comes back, it’s my hope that he’ll continue it, especially now that it’s in the spotlight. But at least he’ll learn that sometimes it takes a couple of weeks to get more than one or two followers. Competition is fierce! :) Let that be a lesson to the rookie writers – an encouraging one, hopefully – that it’s worth sticking it out.

Last edited:
Tanzhangbanner_zpscb7774b4.png

Today we interview DensleyBlair: a fellow "AARlander" contributor and rising star of the "Crusader Kings 2" AAR forum. A relative newcomer to AARland, DensleyBlair nevertheless already has three successful AARs to his name, including the narrative-comedy There's nowt as queer as Norfolk and the epic narrative In the Footsteps of Charlemagne - The Second Coming of House Karling for both of which he was awarded the prestigious Best Character Writer of the Week Award back in December 2012. Aside from writing AARs and articles for the "AARlander", DensleyBlair is also a frequent commentator on other people's AAR's, a past "Fan of the Week" award winner and an avid participant in Interactive AARs. His Inkwell may be found here.

1. Can you remember the name of the first AAR you ever read? How influential was this AAR in kickstarting your AAR writing career?

I can remember it vividly. Being a Mac user, I wasn't able to play Crusader Kings 2 straight away, and therefore needed to satiate my desire to do such by watching others. I started by quite literally watching others play via Let's Plays on YouTube, but soon found the AAR, though I think it must have been a good two months before I actually found out what 'AAR' stood for.

Having discovered the CKII Library Thread, I chanced upon tnick0225's
Reforging Burgundy - Chronicles of the Little House of de Forez - the first AAR I ever read. This was incredibly influential, and I have since told tnick - having had the pleasure of subsequently befriending him - that he's the reason I'm on these boards. Having read The Little House de Forez, I set about writing my own chronicle, the writing process of which lasted all of two days. A week later, I began another story. This one was about a certain Herbert Karling. The rest, as they say, is history.

2. Have there been any AARs or AAR writers in particular which have influenced your AARs or the way you write them?

Obviously, tnick was a huge influence. Aside from that, my first post in AARland was in hjarg's De Hautevilles - Can Anyine Stop the Norman Invasion?. Posting there gave me a lot of confidence in terms of really wanting to start my own effort, and the AAR itself did have aspects I rather liked - though I tend to take things I like from anything I read, as I'm sure many others do.

3. What about inspiration from sources outside of AARland? I happen to know of a certain BBC comedy which you reference a great deal in one of your AARs...

Ah yes, that old thing. "Blackadder" is a fantastic (and fantastically funny) programme, and one which I think still stands up today. That certain AAR of mine you mention certainly owes a lot to it. I like to think it is a good tribute. Either that or I've been shamelessly ripping off Richard Curtis.

Aside from "Blackadder", I like to draw from any fiction I read in terms of writing techniques - as well as other more factual books to get a better idea of how any events I wish to implement would likely pan out. The latest books I read that I really felt inspired by we're Patrick Rothfuss' "The Kingkiller Chronicles", which I have actually mentioned before in this magazine.

4. Speaking of "Blackadder" do you think that the "Blackadder" archetype (a rather clever, Machiavellian advisor to a dim-witted or childish monarch aided by an equally dim-witted dogsbody, or servant.) would work well in an AAR?

I like to think it works well in mine! The whole premise of the show is so clever that I think, when done well, it can be really effective. The different traits of each character can be really fun to write, and I think AARs are better when it's evident that the writer enjoys what he is doing.

5. You've written before in previous AARlander issues about the "special relationship" between Crusader Kings and the AAR, perhaps you'd like to briefly summarise once more why you feel CKII is such a good format for AAR writing and how it's inspired your own work?

I think the readiness of information about any characters about whom you may wish to write really helps, and can be a great help in getting started - especially if you are perhaps unsure about how you might go about doing so. I'm a sucker for a good character, which I feel the game readily supplies time and time again, and good characters can help a story really flow.

Of course, this is really for narrative AARs - where you will have a 'proper' story, if you like. Not that those people who write gameplay AARs, for instance, aren't writing stories - not by any stretch of the imagination. Anyone who writes an AAR deserves massive credit for undertaking such a task. I mean story in the sense of true narrative prose. I think CK really lends itself to the genre.

6. I take it therefore, that you are not particularly keen on "diversifying" and writing AARs for other Paradox games? Or is that something you're looking at doing in the near future?

Not at all. I don't envisage myself finishing any of my AARs soon, but I would love to try out an AAR in another game. I've been drawn to doing something with Victoria for a while...

7. Leaving AARland aside for one moment, perhaps you'd like to tell us a bit more about DensleyBlair the person? For instance, what are your interests and hobbies in real life?

Away from AARland (and, to be fair, in AARland as well,) my name is Alex, and I am a fourteen-year-old high school student with a penchant for reading, writing and history. I am an ardent fan of football (soccer, that is,) and recently had the pleasure of watching my team of choice, Aston Villa, beat Sunderland 6-1.

Music is another real big factor in my life, and I play guitar, piano and tenor horn, with favourite artists including David Bowie, The Smiths and Pulp. I have a twin brother, I'm half Welsh, and am aspiring to study architecture at Cambridge upon leaving school.

8. Have any of these interests or hobbies influenced the kind of AARs you write in any way?

Having a general interest in history obviously helps, as I can put a bit of context into what I'm writing. I also think that being well read helps in terms of being able to utilise an arsenal of techniques and vocabulary when writing - especially with my narratives.

9. You're generally known for writing narrative style AARs -or narrative-comedy in the case of "Norfolk" - as opposed to the history book or gameplay styles used by other authors. Are you particularly attached to the narrative AAR or are you looking at branching out into gameplay or historybook styles for future projects?

I'd love to try out a history book style AAR at some point - though not in CK. I think it would be an interesting challenge, and I'd enjoy thinking up all of the various back stories that go withe all of history's events and goings on.

I'm not sure I could do a gameplay AAR. As anyone who's read any of my work will have realised, I'm not exactly one for using copious screenshots, and I'm not sure I'd wholly enjoy just commenting on images. I enjoy reading gameplay AARs, though - and I don't wish to detract from the genre. A lot of work goes into any AAR, and there are some fantastic gameplays out there, but I'm not sure I could do one.

10. While we're on the subject of future projects, can you give us any information about any you might have in the works? Is there an era or a Paradox game in particular that you'd like to write an AAR for?

As I've mentioned, I'd love to do a Victoria AAR at some point, though that'll probably be next year, or very late this year. In the Footsteps will probably take a good year yet - and that's assuming I stop being as lax in my commitments as a writAAR, but I think there's definitely scope for something. Something ambitious, perhaps.

11. Although you're fairly new to AARland, do you have any brief words of advice you'd like to share with any current or future AAR authors who may be reading this interview?

Though it sounds awfully cliché, I think my advice would be to get involved in the community and get yourself out there. AARland really works via a system of reciprocal altruism - go and comment on someone's work, and they'll probably take a look at yours. Don't give up if you get relatively few comments - people will always be reading. Also, go and read other people's stuff. Get a feel for AARland, and get ideas on how to do things. I've spent many an hour reading threads from 2001 just to get a feel for the community, and I think it's helped.

And for the love of all things holy, use an image hosting site. There is little worse than having a really good piece of writing accompanied by a bunch of small, illegible pictures.

12. Okay, final question. Gun to your head, which of your own works is your personal favourite and why?

I always enjoy writing updates for "There's Nowt As Queer", but I think "In the Footsteps" status as my first AAR will always make it special. Mind you, I might just be saying that to avoid being shot - I'd be a crap hostage.

Thank you very much DensleyBlair for your time.

Derahanacutesbanner_zpsb5f0e11e.png

St. Petersburg is wonderful in the spring. The rain of winter has eased off, the sun is shining, and the wine is blowing ever so gently, politely complimenting the practically balmy temperatures of 11 degrees Celsius. I have just come out of a meeting with Mr. Aleksey Fyodorovich Orlov, the Chairman of the Imperial Council of Ministers of the Russian Empire, having signed with him a defensive alliance between the Empire and the Danubian Federation, and am now strolling somewhat aimlessly down a well-kept street in one of the city's more affluent neighbourhoods. My name is Wolfram Liberalen, revolutionary writer, copious drinker of coffee, and serial intellectual. I'm also a diplomat, and an on-and-off politician.

Or so I would have you believe.*On the 15th of February, I took a leap of faith and entered into a foreign world - that of the interactive AAR. I had never before even considered doing such. I had never really done anything that could be called 'roleplaying' prior to this, and as such felt slightly overwhelmed at the thought of having to deal with all of the poltical nuances and backroom dealings that accompany such an AAR. Before entering the fray, I had read the main updates and rules, and very little else. I didn't really have a hope in hell of understanding what was going on, and therefore declined on being an all-out politician. And I'm glad I did.

The Danubian Federation as imagined by my fellow roleplayAARs is an incredible place. In its twelve year existence, the Federation has experienced revolution, assassination, political suicide (literally, that is,) and year upon year of war with someone or other - be the enemy a foreign power or an internal one. In short, it's a fantastic muse - and Liberalen is a writer.

Within my small corner of the Crusader Kings 2 AAR forum, I rarely get to write about anything that happened post 15th century, which is a shame. I write three AARs already, and I think I'm probably slightly foolish - or at least being imprudent - for doing so, so a fourth is out of the question. Yet there is so much of history about which I can write. The Danube offers an intriguing middle ground. As Liberalen, I have written six essays, an open letter, three pieces of lyric (four of you count one verse of a Radical marching song,) interviewed three people, and even produced a work of satire.

Normally, I wouldn't have imagined that I'd be able to be so prolific. Anyone who had ever read any of my work will appreciate that I'm not exactly the fastest updates out there. Yet, provided with this - though I am loath to use the word - dynamic stimulus, I am able to reel off work like fish and chip paper. I'm not saying that I get bored by 'conventional' AARs - not by any stretch if the imagination - merely that being part of an interactive AAR has provided a welcome break form writing.

It's as if, in participating, I've revitalised myself in writing terms. I certainly feel refreshed having this new diversion in which to immerse myself. I will admit, there have been times during my hitherto relatively short AARing 'career,' if you will, where I have been somewhat reluctant to begin work on an update. I think the problem here was being constrained by certain topics and events. When I am writing about very similar things all of the time, I feel like my work stagnates. Grinding out update after update in which a battle occurs can be hard work - ultimately rewarding, but nonetheless hard. With this 'diversion,' however, I am safe in the knowledge that I have an output for varied writing. I never dreamed that I'd be writing essays on Hungarian separatist movements, yet here I am. It is this variety that I feel has been really beneficial to me as a writer.

Though I'd be telling a rather obvious lie if I tried to convince you that that is all there is to these interactive AARs. That certainly isn't the case, and there are many people I know of involved in such things that have never written an AAR of their own. Evidently, then, the refreshing nature of such AARs is not universal in its appeal.

So why would you take the plunge and sign up? Keeping up can be a large commitment, and the time that some people put into developing the stories is nothing to be scoffed at. Yet participating can be a very rewarding experience. I'm still not entirely sure why I decided to create a character, but - to reel off a cliché - I'm glad that I did. My experience of interactive AARing has been a lighthearted one. I have been able contribute and follow the story in a really pleasant atmosphere, which is always a bonus. I think this is really the crux of such AARs' appeal. I can't imagine that the genre would have taken off so much if it consisted of endless political debate. It is often the witty references or in-jokes that make the thread - out of character goings on are in some ways just as interesting as the actual in character meat of the AAR.

I think perhaps there may have been another factor, and this is one that'll always apply to a certain type of person. I'm not sure whether or not I should be concerned that I seem to be such a person. Playing a character affords someone a level of power over things that he wouldn't usually get. I can only speak for myself, but I'm not actually a cabinet minister. The idea of being able to exert some control and influence over things on a large scale appeals to me - so much so that I was genuinely excited when I read that Liberalen was to be Foreign Minister. To some people, things will always be more enjoyable when one has some influence over what is going on. It definately added an intersting facet to my experience in the genre.

And then there is the story itself. Being friendly and powerful is all well and good, but without anything interesting actually happening it accounts for pretty much nought. I've always enjoyed alternate histories, and the world as it is known to the Federation is certainly an interesting place. Coups and revolts and war may be a pain if you have to deal with them, but they certainly make for interesting reading. Affording the story such fluidity allows for some really interesting things to pop up. A trading company seizing control of Tunisia, for example, or a general declaring himself Emperor of the Danube. Having entertaining updates-proper is good for any AAR. But then there is also what goes on behind these updates. Loads of really well done player generated content really gives the AAR flavour, and I always like seeing what other people have to offer - as with conventional AARs. The bonus with an interactive AAR, however, is the abundance of writing talent present that makes reading the things made by my fellow participants a pleasure. Reading a well written AAR - or anything by a talented writer, for that matter - is always enjoyable. Interactive AARs are wonderful in that they serve as repositories for the work of dozens of talented writers, and, with a guarenteed audience, there are few places better to show off your abilities.

Though I've talked about the Federation long enough. As you may have gleaned from my signature, I am involved in two interactive AARs,the second being Avindian's Tukhachevsky's Army and the Politburo, which is completely different. In this AAR, we, the participants, play as important members of the Soviet Union's political and military echelons. It is interesting, for me at least, to consider the differences between the two AARs - this and the Federation - which demonstrates the range of ways in which the genre can manifest itself.

Perhaps the most noticeable difference is to do with the way in which participation is handled. In A Federation of "Equals", anyone and everyone can become a councillor or deputy, and therefore have a voice in the goings in of the game, and direct influence over what happens. With Tukhachevsky, only a select group are really afforded such rights - simulating the rigid nature of the Soviet Union's political system. This makes for a rather unique experience.

Whereas the Federation moves freely in its discussion, the Politburo are somewhat more constrained - or that is the impression I get, at least. I would imagine that this draws largely from the fact that debate only really*rages between eleven people, compared to the Federation's thirty eight, allowing for the more natural development of topics and talking points between a larger number of people. When you add to this the fact that the Soviet Union wasn't exactly a democracy, with points discussed very functional, you get an interesting contrast. In the Politburo, what would be the bills and acts of the Federation are orders for military units, or how the budget should be spent. I would imagine this relates to Hearts of Iron - a game of which I have very little real knowledge, save what I've picked up from other AARs. In fact, there are three Politburo positions which, to hold, one must have Hearts of Iron: Their Finest Hour. This is an AAR firmly rooted (or so I have picked up,) in deciding how the game will progress, as opposed to concerning itself with the fluff that goes on behind what the game tells you.

Though, as may be apparent from my probably obvious lack of Hearts of Iron knowledge, I am not a member of the elite group responsible for making such decisions. I am one of the 'candidate members' [of the Politburo,] a unique group of people who, essentially, have little to do aside from waiting for the day that they are elected by Stalin to become 'full members.' This usually comes about as a result of another key feature of this AAR - and, indeed, of the actual USSR: backroom pacts, plots, and politicking. So far in my relatively uneventful tenure as Prosecutor General of the Soviet Union, I have been the instigator of a plot aimed at bringing about the downfall of another member, and almost been elected to the immensely exciting position of Commissar of Agriculture. You've got to amuse yourself somehow when your on,y real duty is to wait - why not have some fun in the process?

And I think that probably is the main point of these interactive AARs - to have some fun. There are those who would argue that, actually, interactive AARs aren't AARs at all, but instead RPGs, but, for all intents and purposes, take that they are as a moot point. What we have is a rare species that presents us as AARlanders a unique way in which to enjoy ourselves on our boards. That to me almost exemplifies the essence of AARland - to have fun in a unique and enjoyable environment. I'm not saying that we should overrun AARland with the things à la the RPG forum, but I would similarly hate to see the abandoning of the genre.

But I've talked enough, and I fear I'm running late for a meeting with Mr. Orlov. Good day to you all.

ReviewDoppelganger_zpsc176b2bb.png

Doppelgänger: The Untold Story of the Third Reich
by Uriah

HOI3
Germany 1936
Historical Narrative AAR
Black Ice mod v4.02

" Through the window we can see a room furnished as a study, obviously part of the new Reichskanzler’s suite installed last year during the renovations. A man can be seen sitting at a writing desk, a pen in his hand and a leather-bound diary in front of him. The book is open, but the first page is blank.

The man is immediately recognisable: it is Adolf Hitler, Führer und Reichskanzler of Germany.

Or is it? Something is not quite right – the hair is slightly different, the shoulders appear a little straighter. The eyes, looking over the Wintergarten conservatory, seem to stare into the future with a calm certainty. Slowly the man picks up the pen and starts to write. "

Doppelgänger: The Untold Story of the Third Reich. You’ve got to give Uriah credit: He has come up with one of the most original and intriguing plots ever seen on these forums. The unnamed protagonist of the story is a former history teacher who bears a striking resemblance to Adolf Hitler. Being hired as a double to the German chancellor, this Doppelgänger effectively manages to lead the German Empire and its armed forces through subterfuge and subtle persuasion. Another key character in the story is Werner Lehmann: a spy of sorts in the Wehrmacht, reporting directly to the Doppelgänger. And without giving too much of the story away, it’s safe to say that Werner has a habit of getting into all sorts of trouble.

The main body of the story is made up of gameplay. Or, well, the protagonist’s reports of the combat events, which are frequently interrupted by his opinion on things, or his plans, or events at the Reichskanzlei. Every chapter begins and ends with a description of the Doppelgänger’s surroundings as he writes the story, essentially the writer’s view on our protagonist-writer. And, of course, there’s the letters from Werner Lehmann, which are distinctly different from the rest of the story as they cover a narrative about combat, about actions, rather than the cool top-down view of a ruler we see in most AARs. And if we’re lucky, we see all of that in one single update. Isn’t that too dense a story? Definitely not. The ever changing point of view, the mix of styles, is put together very fluently, which keeps the story lively and makes the AAR very refreshing to read.

Unfortunately, the gameplay/history-book part of the AAR shows cracks from time to time. Sometimes, it seems as if the actual combat, the battles, are hurriedly depicted, just so we can move on to more interesting parts of the story. And that makes sense, since Uriah seems rather eager to show every single battle that has been going during the in-game week. And to do that within two or three sections of text, you’ve got to rush through your material. Allow me to give an example.

" The other reports that day were not much better. General Otto, apparently hard to convince, sacrificed another 60 men testing the defences of Gouda, and Haenicke was allowed to have another go at Cartier’s two divisions in Utrecht.

More promising (but also more risky) was the transfer of 1st Lufttransporterflotte to Münchengladbach where 7th Flieger Division had been resting. Late that night the Fallschirmjäger were once more in air, this time heading for Charleroi. They were being asked to tip the balance in our favour again, to seize the province before reinforcements could arrive.

44th Reichsgrenadier was advancing into Dordrecht at such a pace that they caught up with the 1ère Chasseurs d’Ardennais, and a short firefight with the rearguard caused the Belgians to increase the speed of their retreat. The French were already retreating at full speed from Amersfoort. "

No, it isn’t poorly written. For a history-book styled story that covers all battles, this is perhaps as good as it gets. However, the potential of these parts of the story is so much bigger, and can only be fully explored if the small battles, those that are neither noteworthy nor relevant, are left out of the AAR. Less battles to report on means more time and space for individual, important battles, and the narrative everyone enjoys so much. As a positive side-effect, less battles also means cleaner maps. The graphical side of Doppelgänger is characterized by screenshots (maps), showing the location of the battlegrounds. These are very clarifying for those of us who don’t know where, for example, Utrecht and Charleroi are, but the maps tended to be a tad messy from time to time. Uriah has recently taken steps to make his maps cleaner and more readable, and when there is less text and information to condense into one image, his task will surely become easier.

That being said, the narrative is sublime. There’s great detail in the story, and not the painstakingly boring kind of detail, but fun little facts that make the narrative more lively. For instance, the Doppelgänger is not allowed to drink: In order to keep up appearances, he has to mimic Hitler’s habits. That detail gives a sense of historical accuracy to this work of fiction. The narrative is both realistic and lively. The realism is achieved by the aforementioned detail, and Uriah’s care not to resort to the board room convention (as discussed in the previous AARlander). The liveliness is, well, all over the narrative. Here, Uriah has no problem with selecting the most important and interesting stories to present to his readers, which pays off as we get to hear the Doppelgänger’s thoughts about various historical events. The story about Werner Lehmann is a lot of fun to read as well, and his messages from the front lines are often the highlight of a chapter. Especially the perspective from which this story is told is very original, as it is written from a “regular” soldier’s point of view.

Now, an observant reader, who checks out this AAR for the first time, might notice something rather odd. Although the story has progressed well into 1940, there’s no World Dominance yet. Far from it, honestly, and that’s odd for a Germany 1936 scenario. The main cause of this lack of progress is not a complete lack of skill on Uriah’s part - it’s his brave decision to enable Army AI control and never turn it back off ever again. For those of you who aren’t familiar with the intricacies of Hearts of Iron III: For example, the tactical AI is not able to distinguish a militia brigade from an armoured division. Literally. It goes without saying that with this severe handicap, the German armies aren’t going anywhere anytime soon. And that’s a view you’ll rarely get to enjoy as a fan of Germany AARs. While the outcome of most of these AARs is decided the moment any sane-minded player starts it, the outcome of Doppelgänger: The Untold Story of the Third Reich is far from certain.

All in all, this AAR is brilliant. Simply brilliant. Sure, the potential of the gameplay parts is so much bigger, and sure, some of the maps aren’t all that pretty, but the sublime narrative and story do more than make up for that. The mix of all elements is just right, and fluently done so that every part of the story properly fits in. The Doppelgänger’s experiences are great to read - and Werner’s adventures are perhaps even greater. If there was one thing I could add… perhaps a new character?

" You have given up worrying about who the man is. Had you kept watching, you would have noticed a few things about him. He is constantly alert, looking at every person and event around him. He has a semi-military posture, but unlike most of the men of his age on the streets around here, he is not in uniform. No sign of injury. His clothes indicate he is well off – his coat in particular would have cost a week’s wages.

But you have just assumed he is another middle-aged bureaucrat having a spell from his desk. "

Read Doppelgänger: The Untold Story of the Third Reich here

Last edited:
And here it is! The Yearly Completed AAR Awards competition! Go forth and vote brave AARlanders! :D

Yearly Completed AAR Awards going on

Voting galore!

As is the yearly tradition in AARland, voting has been opened on the best AARs for the four major games. The VictAARian Cross, the CrusadAAR’s Chalice, the OscAAR and the Iron HeAARt are rare awards, awarded only once per year to the very best completed AARs. Note: completed AARs means that an AAR is reported as completed in the library - which shows how important it is to report the AARs you start and finish!

The AARlander team thanks Avindian, Qorten and all the other moderators who have helped make these awards possible, as well as the writAARs who have written all the brilliant works of 2012 which are now up for voting. Now, let’s go on to the four categories:

VictAARian Cross

10 AARs are up for nomination in the first round of voting for the VictAARian Cross.
The possible nominees are:

Chaos's Revenge by Avindian
Novum Romanum Imperium 2.0 by Avindian
Reliving the Restoration by Avindian
Krakow World Conquest: An Analytical Approach by Avocado Aguila
The Eastern Answer by Daiyoukai Ramza
Empire of the Pacific by Frymonmon
A Salty Sultante by GuileMike
A Hyderabad Holiday Special by Selzro
Styria Redux by tamius23
Shadow of the Andes by ThunderHawk3 et al

Three of these AARs are made by the demi-mod Avindian; will his multitude of works be an advantage or a disadvantage in the upcoming round of voting? Time will tell…

CrusadAAR’s Chalice

The CrusadAAR’s Chalice voting process has progressed to the second round of voting, surprisingly with only two AARs to choose from.
A four-way tie for the third spot prevented that spot from being filled, and so the choice is between these two nominees:

Saltborn: A Crovan AAR by Werewhale. A wildly humorous account of the Crovan family throughout the CK2 era.
A History of the World According to Paradox - A Hands-Off AAR by magritte2, who played powerless counts, changing county every time his current ruler died and having as little an impact on the game as possible.

At this time, magritte2 is only leading the vote by a small margin, so the outcome is far from certain...

EU3 OscAAR

Voting for the EU3 OscAARs is between these five nominees:

The Historic Inevitibility of Epic Failure by PrawnStar.
The Grey Eminence - A Narrative/History AAR 1399-1821 by Ashantai.
A Descent into Madness - A Random EU3 AAR by Avindian.
The Queen Mother's Diaries: A Ming AAR by loki100.
Double Domination: Germany versus Japan by knul.

The immensely popular The Historic Inevitability of Epic Failure has a rather staggering lead.
Is the outcome of voting really decided, or will one of the underdog AARs make a great comeback?

Iron HeAARt

The voting process for the Iron HeAARts has been rather complicated in comparison to the other awards.
At first, only a small amount of AARs seemed eligible, but now a timeframe has been set for other, unregistered AARs to be nominated.
As of now, these are the contestors:

New Austro-Hungarian Empire by Belgiumruler
Stars and Stripes Forever by BillGrant
Carnage Al Dente by CptEasy
Sudden Patriotic Carnage by CptEasy
Freedom or death by Ikarases
The war to end all wars by Poach
Jiěfàng Zhànzhēng by TheBromgrev
Le Conseil Consultatif sur la Grande Guerre by umg
Rank and File: A clerk's war by Uriah

The little time that voting was open did tell us something about the favourite AARs.
Both Carnage al Dente and Rank and File did very well, and surely they will be amongst the main contestors. Will one of these AARs snatch the much sought after award, or will one of the new nominations be the 2012 Iron HeAARt winner? First voting round to be reopened shortly…

Voting is open until May 31st, so make sure to cast your vote in as many categories as possible!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.