• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Section III

Chapter 37 (part 5)

[September 7, 2013]

(Burnaby, Canada)

Jake and Wallace arrived at the site of Alex's residence. They were greeted with multiple cruisers sealing the area off along with police tape surrounding the entire property. There wasn't much left of the house that stood on the property.

"That explosion did a good job blowing the house up," said Wallace.

"Do you notice that the neighboring houses are fine?" asked Jake.

"That's a little odd, isn't it?"

"My hunch is our guy used Semtex. He's pretty good at demolition considering that he didn't overdo it."

"What do you think was in the house? Could the evidence we were looking for be inside the house?"

Jake's cell sounded and he picked it up to answer.

"Jake here," he said.

"How's my field agent doing? Out of breath yet?" asked the person on the other end.

"Steven! What a pleasant surprise! I thought you retired."

"Not yet, my friend. I still have a few more decades to go. Let's say I have an addiction problem."

"You are faring better than drug addicts, at least. So, why are you calling me?"

"I got updated about your case. I'm sorry about Jayce's death."

"Feel sorry for me later. I need to bag the person responsible."

"Well, I have some good news for you. I have some hints for your case."

"I love hints. Just spare me the riddle."

"I would normally give a few riddles but I'll pass this time. Whoever you are after looks dangerous."

"How dangerous?"

"Did you know Jayce was investigating the death of an old man?"

"I wasn't clear on the nature of his case so this is new to me."

"The old man has a son named Alex. Does the name ring a bell?"

"You don't mean ..."

"Bingo! Alex and his family is dead. Not to mention that the old man's suite was set on fire yesterday."

"Yesterday? I thought there were officers guarding the crime scene?"

"There was one officer in the suite but he got taken out. The suite burst into flames and everything that belonged to the old man is now ashes."

"Let me get this clear. A murderer went after an old man. Jayce was called in for the case and he was murdered as well. Alex, the old man's son, was murdered along with his family. To remove all evidence, Alex's home and the old man's home turned to ashes. Did I get everything?"

"The old man's name is Matthew. Other than that, you got everything."

"What are we up against here?"

"I'd say the old man stumbled onto something huge. He stirred up a large hornet nest and anyone that got too close were eliminated."

"Do you have any good news?"

"My hunch says that this killing streak is over. The pro has taken care of all loose ends here."

"So you're saying that the guy is gone."

"Weren't you notified that he stole Alex's vehicle and left it at the airport?"

"I see. Do you have any idea where he's headed?"

"First, answer this. Did an American cop alert you about Jayce's demise?"

"Yes. Oh no!"

"That cop will be his next target if my guess is right."

"We got to alert him!"

"I got someone calling before I called you. No one is answering and we will call again shortly."

"What have we gotten ourselves into?"

"You won't like this but we are facing a powerful organization or group. They have resources if they can hire a pro like this."

"What do you have on Matthew?"

"He's a retired old man that did some journalism. It seems like writing alternate history was his cup of tea."

"How does that work into our case?"

"I was checking his emails and he apparently contacted an American. There's a link there."

"I'll be visiting the states?"

"With our budget, you'll be paying out of your own pocket."

"I owe it to Jayce to track this bastard down."

"Want me to prepare your coffin?"

"If I don't come back, then please do the honors."

"I'm serious, Jake. Be very careful. This hornet nest has men that don't hesitate to kill. If I were you, I'd get some assistance from the FBI."

"I'll remember that advice when I reach the states."

"You're heading for Los Angeles, Sherlock."

"Right, that's what I meant."

Last edited:
For those that weren't aware, this AAR is being written in a timeline parallel with this AAR. I will be updating both. The plots for both will be different but they will eventually converge.

Section III

Chapter 38 (part 1)

[September 8, 2013]

(Los Angeles, USA)

Jake got off his plane and went to pick up his luggage. Stepping outside the airport, he was approached by two men.

"You must be Jake Burson," said one of the men.

"Yes, I am," replied Jake. "And you are?"

"I'm Caspar Ekberg and this is Chukchov Artemovich," introduced Caspar.

"Chuk would be fine," said Chukchov.

"I thought Detective Jim would be here," said Jake.

"I'm sorry to inform you," responded Caspar, "but Jim was killed last night along with his partner."

"I'm sorry," said Jake.

"No need to apologize. Let's talk in the car," said Caspar.

Jake followed Caspar and Chukchov to their vehicle and got in. Chukchov took the wheels while Jake and Caspar sat in the rear.

"Caspar, are you the detective investigating Jim's death?" asked Jake.

"Not quite," replied Caspar. "I'm a close friend of his."

"So you're doing it for your own personal reasons?"

"It just happens that my personal reasons and my work coincided in this case."

"How so?"

"Right, I forgot to tell you that I'm from the FBI."

"I see."

"What can you tell me about the case?"

"Not much. I just know we are up against a professional who is good at tying up loose ends."

"Very good at his job."

"May I ask how Detective Jim and his partner died?"

"There was a makeshift explosive that blew them and everything in their office to bits."

"I assume that we have nothing to work with then?"

"That's isn't the case. You see, Jim faxed me everything he had yesterday before the professional killed him."

"Everything?"

"He sent me all his notes, theories and information he acquired so far. Unfortunately, he had a laptop which was destroyed in the blast."

"Who did the laptop belong to?"

"A man named Chris. There was apparently some connection between him and Matthew."

"So, both Chris and Matthew, along with their computers, are gone."

"Yes, that seems to be the case."

"We have a tough job ahead of us."

"We do. When can you start working?"

"I can start immediately."

"Good, I was hoping you would say that."

"Do you have any theories about this case?"

"I read of Jim's theories and pondered at the airport. I have one theory."

"Please share."

"We might be facing a terrorist group that's very professional."

"What makes you say that?"

"I understand that you probably didn't know about the alternate history Matthew and Chris were writing about."

"I wasn't aware."

"Their writing takes place in many locations but I think their planned project is the key to unlocking the clues."

"Project?"

"Yes, they have been communicating over the email about a joint project."

"What do we know about the project right now?"

"There are five different nations or powers involved: Vikings, Han Zhao, Umayyads, Brazil and South Africa."

"That would place them in Scandinavia, China, Middle East, South America and Southern Africa."

"Correct. We just don't know the significance of these areas yet."

"They do cover a good chunk of the world."

"That's why I suspect a terrorist group. One that is not only influential but also stayed hidden all this time."

"I don't like the sound of that, especially considering that they managed to find out a project by two lesser known writers."

"I think it would be wise we uncover the clues soon. The idea that a powerful terrorist group running around unopposed terrifies me."

"Who do you think their final target is?"

"I don't know but I wouldn't be surprised if it's USA."

Last edited:
Section III

Chapter 38 (part 2)

[September 8, 2013]

(Los Angeles, USA)

Jake noticed that the car was stopping. He looked out the window and saw what appeared to be an aftermath of a terrorist attack. A large section of the building was blown up and debris was still scattered everywhere. As expected, police tape sealed the area off and a few police officers were guarding the site. Looking over the scene, Jake started to ponder why he was brought to this place. Caspar seemed to have read his mind.

"This was the wing where Detective Jim worked at," Caspar said as he exited the car.

Jake followed suit and noticed that Chukchov didn't leave his seat. He turned off the ignition but seemed to have no intention in getting out.

"Don't worry about him," said Caspar. "He had an friend that died the same way. Seeing the site reminds him of those memories."

"I see," replied Jake. "Why did you bring me here?"

"What's your first impression?"

"Of the site?"

"Yes, do you find something suspicious?"

"The debris."

"The debris?"

"Have you noticed that the debris isn't that far from the wing?"

"Are you saying that the explosion took place inside the wing?"

"I've seen explosions before and I will admit that the source of the explosion likely took place indoors."

"Are you sure?"

"Chances are the bomber decided to put his explosives near the windows."

"My thoughts exactly. They apparently weren't aware that Jim informed me."

"They don't know what information we got. However, they don't want to make it suspicious."

"Thus, they made it seem like someone that has beef with the police and decided to plant explosives outside the building."

"What explosive was used?"

"We have reason to believe it's Semtex."

"Semtex? That's interesting. The guy used the same explosive in Canada."

"That brings up another question. How does he gain access to the explosive so easily?"

"Right, we know he wouldn't risk discovery by sneaking it across the borders."

"Whoever this guy work for, they have influence across the border."

"That isn't so surprising. I'm just surprised how quickly he got the explosives."

"He is fast. Chris was found dead on the third."

"Matthew was killed on the fifth. His family and two RCMP officers were killed two days later."

"Then Jim and his partner were killed late last night."

"What surprises me is that he didn't leave a single clue. We're using assumptions but we don't have a single lead."

"Yes, that's frustrating and terrifying. What terrorist group are we facing against?"

"Assuming this is a terrorist group."

"You don't think terrorists are behind this?"

"These killings were done with precision. If I were a terrorist, I would want my bombings to kill more than just my intended targets."

"So that everything becomes bloodier."

"I wouldn't worry too much about those caught in the blast. Not to mention that this guy took out some officers. I don't know about your officers but one of the RCMP officer that was killed wasn't bad with a gun."

"I will agree with you there. Still, we have no idea where to start."

"There is one starting point."

"Do share."

"This guy we're after has been traveling across the border in rather short period of time."

"You're saying that there's a slight chance that he didn't have chance to change his identity."

"If we check with the flights and find a name that coincides with those travel dates, we might have something to work with."

"You do know that it won't be his real identity."

"I'm more interested in the identity he was using. It might give us a clue as to what resources were available to him."

"Let me make a quick call. I'll make sure to get people working on that lead immediately."

Caspar went to his vehicle to make his call. Jake, with his hands in his pockets, analyzed the bomb site. From whatever was left, he tried to visualize how the building looked before the bombing. Trying hard to visualize, he made an attempt to imagine the whole process. After that, he went through all the events that took place but couldn't find anything out of the ordinary. Whoever he was tracking has done a very good job concealing his tracks. Caspar tapped him on the shoulder and he turned around.

"The call was made," Caspar said. "It will take an hour at most for them to get what we need. Where do you say we go next?"

"I thought you're the boss here."

"I may be the boss but I'm stumped at the moment. I couldn't figure out how this case relates to Chris and Matthew."

"I'm in the same boat as you. The more I think about it, the more it seems to be a plot from the movies."

"Where are the gadgets when you need them?"

"Can you get access to files of former American military personnel?"

"You're saying that some may have become mercenaries?"

"It's just a hunch but this guy seems really good. In addition, can we get some highly trained soldiers? Preferably from the Navy Seal or other elite soldiers in the states."

"You wish to interview them on what we have?"

"Yes, I have some questions for them."

"Alright, let's go."

The two men headed back to the car but found Chukchov missing from his seat. Caspar was wondering where the Russian went as he pulled on his car handle. The moment he pulled the handle, an explosion engulfed everything within a five meter radius. There wasn't anything left of Caspar and Jake. As for the car, only its frame stood remained as everything else was either ashes or debris shot faraway. The officers that stood guarding the police department wing quickly headed towards the car shell to investigate the explosion.

Last edited:
Section III

Chapter 38 (part 3)

[September 8, 2013]

(Los Angeles, USA)

The phone rang twice before someone picked up.

"Those two nosy guys are eliminated."

"Excellent, Chukchov! I trust they weren't difficult to deal with."

"They had no idea what hit them. You could say that it was a painless death."

"You have gotten soft, Chukchov."

"I'm not taking the chance of them surviving long enough to share information."

"You're right. I got carried away there."

"About the payment."

"Ah yes, I have sent someone to deliver it right this moment. You will hear from him at midnight at the same location."

"How about my partner?"

"His payment is included as well. You two have accomplished your tasks with flying colors. I even added a small bonus."

"This is why we chose to work for you."

"Stay low until the delivery arrives. After that, you two will be wealthy men. You can buy yourself an island if you feel like it."

"I've already made plans."

"Good, men with plans always get further ahead. Tell your partner I said hi. This may be the last time we speak to each other."

"Will you not need us anymore?"

"You see, you are one of the most wanted men in the FBI. I want you to stay low for awhile."

"Understood."

"Excellent. Good luck to you two and we might still do business in the future."

"I look forward to that."

-meanwhile-

A young man was eating a snack when the phone suddenly rang. After a few rings, the young man reluctantly answered the phone.

"Daniel speaking, who is this?" the young man asked.

"Daniel! It's Smith. I'm ..."

"My father's friend. I remember you."

"Good, then we'll cut to the chase. It's about your father."

"Did my father get involved in another scandal?"

"I wish that was the case. I'm afraid he was killed in action."

"Sorry, I didn't catch that last part. What did you say?"

"He was killed in action."

Daniel dropped the phone and struggled to process the information he was given. He heard sound coming out the phone and knelt down to pick it up.

"Are you still there, Daniel?"

"Yes, I'm still here."

"I heard a thud."

"I dropped the phone."

"I can understand that the news is overwhelming."

"Have you told my mother?"

"I have given her a call already. She said she will be coming over shortly."

"Alright. Thanks, Smith."

"Stay strong, young man. We'll get whoever is behind this."

"I understand. Bye."

"Goodbye!"

Tears started dripping down Daniel's cheeks but he wiped them away quickly. Knowing that his mother would arrive soon, he needed to stay strong. It was bad enough that his mother had to hear the news and he didn't want her to worry about him after seeing his eyes red. Struggling to contain his emotions, he headed to the cupboards to pour himself some vodka in a cup. He emptied the entire cup in one gulp and allowed it to burn his throat. While the vodka wasn't enough to suppress all his emotions, he knew that it would suffice during his mother's visit. Daniel stood in the kitchen until he heard the knock on the door. He quickly put away the vodka back into the cupboards and walked to the door.

Last edited:
Section III

Chapter 38 (part 4)

[September 8, 2013]

(Los Angeles, USA)

Opening the door, Daniel saw his distressed mother in front of him.

"Mother," he started, "what a pleasant surprise!"

"Let's cut to the chase, dear."

Daniel's mother entered the house and sat down on the sofa. On the sofa, she kept her head down looking at the floor. Daniel could see that his mother was struggling to keep her emotions in check but cannot think of a way to comfort her. Instead, he sat down beside her and waited for her to speak first. The silence stretched out between them but neither seemed to be willing to break it. Finally, Daniel's mother raised her head and looked at Daniel. She has raised her hand in an attempt to touch Daniel but Daniel, seeing the gesture, prayed that she would stop. Daniel didn't know if he could hold his emotions should he feel his mother's touch. The mother, appearing to have read Daniel's mind, stopped midway and returned her hand to her lap.

"I assume that you were told about his death?" she asked.

"I have."

"I wish this day never came."

"Yet you know it would happen sooner or later."

"You still haven't forgiven me for leaving you and him?"

"I've forgiven you a long time again, mother. I've just been stating facts."

"Well, you probably know why I'm here."

"I can't read minds, mother."

"You are just like your father. I guess that's why I'm here."

"Can you give me some time?"

"No, I won't allow you to get involved in this. Promise me that."

"Just give me a single day."

"Your father only had a single day before he died. I cannot bear losing a son and husband in two consecutive days."

"Alright."

"Say it please."

"I promise to not investigate the case or participate in any ways that may involve me with the people that murdered my father."

"Good, I can leave with some comfort now. Your father was dealing with a group too dangerous for him to handle."

"Who will be capable?"

"There are men in the FBI who will track down the killer. Put faith in them."

"I honestly don't have much faith in them. Still, I made the promise that I won't get involved in this mess."

"Please understand, dear. This isn't a conflict you need to be involved."

"But ..."

"Not buts, young man. Your father was out for revenge and he was killed."

"Mother, you should stay for supper."

"No, I'll head home. I have some emotions I need to deal with."

Without another word, Daniel's mother stood up and walked to the door where she let herself out. Daniel followed her to the front steps and watched his mother get into her car. He waited until the car was in the distance before returning inside. When he shut his door, he allowed his tears to fall as he grieved for his father. As much as he was tempted, he knew that it was wise not to break his promise. Considering that his mother was in distress following the news of his father's death, he couldn't bear thinking about her reaction from learning about the death of his son. All Daniel could do was mutter apologies to his deceased father while he cried his heart out. Eventually, the tears ceased to come out and he got back onto his feet. Just then, the phone rang and he went over to the phone. Looking at the caller ID, he found himself unfamiliar with the number and, going through his memory, concluded that the call was coming from Sweden. Two rings later, he made up his mind and picked up the phone.

Last edited:
Section III

Chapter 38 (part 5)

[September 8, 2013]

(Los Angeles, USA)

"Hello?" answered Daniel.

"Am I speaking with the Capitalist?" asked the person on the other end.

"Yes, that would be me. Are you the Hacker?"

"The one and only."

"Vilken! What a surprise. I thought you have forgotten about me since you returned to Sweden."

"I have a girlfriend now, my friend."

"Fate has dealt you a good hand. Is she a looker?"

"She'll have you turn your head."

"Wow, you are doing better than me."

"Still a bachelor, I see."

"I'm not that rich yet."

"How many more years?"

"Not sure. Let me get my accountant."

"You can call him later. I need some help, if that's fine with you."

"Did you get caught again? Do you need another lawyer."

"Hey, I'm been clean since university."

"Alright, let's hear it."

"There has been a series of hacking in Scandinavia. I want to find out who's behind all this."

"Why are you looking for me then?"

"You have connections and resources. It will be fun and it's completely legal."

"Is this your new project?"

"Call it payback. This hacker got me good. I hope to return the favor."

"Alright, I'll help."

"Really?"

"What's with that tone?"

"I thought you would want to time to think it over."

"I can't believe you're trying to talk me out of this."

"I'm not."

"Good, I'll want part of the action."

"Why?"

"Do I have to give a reason?"

"I'm starting to doubt you're Daniel. You never jump head first into these things."

"Alright, my father just died."

"I'm sorry to hear that."

"Some bastard decided to blow him up."

"Yet you're not seeking revenge?"

"My mother came over and made me promise her I won't"

"Still the honorable man I know."

"I'm taking this job so I can distract myself. Good enough reason for you?"

"Ya, do you mind if I come over?"

"Come over?"

"I can stay at your house."

"Give me a reason why I should say yes."

"I prefer not to get my girlfriend involved."

"You really love her, don't you?"

"I do."

"Alright, you can come over like old times sake."

"Good, I look forward to seeing you again."

"Me too. When are you going to come?"

"I'll be booking plane tickets today. Hopefully, I'll be there by tomorrow."

"Alright, I'll get the guest room ready. See ya."

"See ya."

Daniel hanged up the phone and sat on the sofa. Unknowingly, he fell asleep and woke up several hours later. The sun was setting and his stomach growled nonstop. He reluctantly got up from the sofa and headed to the kitchen to make himself a sandwich. Walking before the fridge, he found himself staring at a picture he drew when he was a kid. He thought back to that day when he returned home from school.

"Dad, I'm home!" he shouted eagerly.

His father was pouring himself some coffee when Daniel ran into the kitchen.

"How was school?" asked Caspar.

"I drew this, dad!" Daniel handed over a drawing he made in school.

Caspar took the drawing and gave it a good look.

"Is this Superman?" he asked.

"Ya!" replied Daniel.

"You want to be Superman when you grow up?"

"I want to protect my family when I grow up."

"I know you will, son. Just work hard and always do your best."

"I will, dad. I will make you proud!"

Tears started coming down uncontrollably for Daniel. He formed a fist with his right hand and slammed the fridge.

"I failed you, dad," Daniel muttered.

Last edited:
Section III

Chapter 39 (part 1)

[September 9, 2013]

(IP Address: 210.9.169.3)

On 4 January 1498, the nation of Hungary declared its fifth crusade on the Ottomans. Peace was not meant to last between the two nations as many small skirmishes took place along the borders, even during the truce period. The Ottomans were angered that the Christian nation took so much of their territory and wanted revenge. The Hungarians felt that anything short of annexing the Ottomans would taint the nation's reputation in Europe. With his citizens supporting him and a need to satisfy his ambitions, the Hungarian king declared another Crusade in hopes to furthering his gains in the Asian Minors. The Ottomans initially resisted but their defeats in their previous wars have racked up a hefty national debt that saw their soldiers paid poorly. These soldiers were less inclined to die for their nation and deserted or routed whenever they were given the chance. Three months into war, the Ottomans were utterly defeated and their sultan once again agreed to all demands of the Hungarian king. Gaining five new territories, the Hungarian king would find himself sharing a border with several new nations. He carefully pondered over the maps to decide on his next targets.

On 4 May 1503, Hungary declared a crusade on Armenia. The small nation would be easy pickings for Hungary and, to make things slightly more challenging, Ak Koyunlu also joined against Hungary. Unlike the Ottomans, the Armenians actually paid their soldiers which explained why their defenses held out so long during sieges. It took the Hungarian troops a total of five months before the Armenians surrendered. Their nation would be annexed and the Hungarian soldiers continued to Ak Koyunlu. Ak Koyunlu put up a lot more resistance by supporting the local guerrilla in Mus. The guerrillas excelled at cutting off supply lines and hassling Hungarian troops which slowed the progress in occupying all of Mus. Mus would eventually fall under Hungarian control on 14 March 1504 and the Hungarian king was forced to wait out his truces before he can continue his expansions.

During September of 1507, Hungarians learned of the far east.

CV5F4h4.png

Hindustan looked poised to unite all of India under their control. Deccan held some influence in the region but their economy and military couldn't rival against that of Hindustan. Bengal, the other Indian nation, looked to expand eastwards hoping to remain independent. The people of Bengal knew that it wouldn't take long before Hindustan turn their sights on their nation. They could only pray that they would have a sizable territory in Southeast Asia by then. On the topic of Southeast Asia, the best word to describe the region was mess. There wasn't a clear dominant power in the region and foreign nations were starting to expand into the region. Considering how divided the nations were in this region, the rising superpowers in China or India would see to it that the local territories come under new leadership.

China wasn't in a much better situation than Southeast Asia. Xian appeared to be the supreme nation in China but she had many competitions. The biggest threat to Xian was the Xia and Song alliance. There were many other smaller Chinese nations and, surprisingly, the nation of Yuan still existed to this day. The smaller Chinese nations waited patiently as a victor emerged between Xian, Xia and Song. There were rumors that stated that the minor nations would willingly join the victor as the option would guarantee the most benefits. As for the war between the three largest nations in China, many great battles were taking place and the end didn't appear to be arriving anytime soon. Meanwhile, the nation of Joseon might be plotting something against Song that would potentially tip the balance in Xian's favor.

On 9 April 1508, the Hungarians renewed their crusade against the Ottomans. During the truce, the Ottomans managed to make many treaties with their neighbors and the Golden Horde. As a result, they raised a considerable fund for this crusade. Raising an army of almost twenty thousand, the Ottomans were determined in defending their homeland. With poor intelligence gathering, the Hungarian generals weren't informed of such a massive enemy force and their advances were cut short. It took time for reinforcements to arrive from Europe and the war dragged on for far too long. When a massive Hungarian force finally gathered in Asia Minor, the Hungarian soldiers marched head on into the Ottoman forces and, following several battles, decimated their enemy. The city garrisons continued their resistance but the Ottoman's only chance of victory disappeared with the annihilation of their army. Three Ottoman provinces were taken that effectively cut the Ottomans from the Black Sea. The Hungarian king didn't wait long before he ordered his new conquests.

Last edited:
Welp, looks like I'm once again late to the party.

subbed

Welp, looks like I'm once again late to the party.

subbed

You're not late. The new story is just getting started.

Section III

Chapter 39 (part 2)

[September 9, 2013]

(IP Address: 210.9.169.3)

Days after the beginning of the war between Hungary and the Ottomans, a separate war was declared against Crimea. The Muslim nation was situated north of the Black Sea with some rich provinces. There were two main reasons for the war. First, the Hungarian king wanted to establish a presence in the region. He ultimately wanted control of all the provinces surrounding the Black Sea and taking out Crimea was a step towards that. The second reason, the more important one, was to prevent Polish expansion along that direction. Since the alliance between the two nations was severed, the Polish rulers expanded with no regard of the Hungarian agenda. A war against Poland would be foolish considering the current strength of Hungary. Thus, Hungary, along with Venice, would begin their campaign against Crimea. Venice troops traveled by sea while Hungarian troops traveled through Polish territory and they would fight against a crippled Crimea that struggled against rebellions. The Crimean provinces would so rich that the Crimean ruler managed to bribe a few Hungarian officials which saw the Muslim nation avoiding complete annexation.

The victory over Crimea saw Hungary sharing borders with a few new neighbors. One of the neighbors was Zaporozhie who was also on the radar of the Polish. Without hesitation, war was declared and the Hungarian troops stationed in former Crimean territory were mobilized into action. There were some resistance from the streets but the Hungarian soldiers occupied the provinces with ease. The problem in this war was the participation of Jalayirids. While not a powerful nation, Jalayirids did have a small force that excelled at hit and run tactics. With the order of one of the newly captured provinces still low, the constant raids would disrupt the peace that was there and more uprisings would take place. Zaparozhie would be completely annexed and the Hungarian troops could turn their attention to the Jalayirids. The mistake by the other Muslim nation was that they believed Hungarian troops wouldn't set foot into their territory. The arrival of the invasion force came suddenly and many of their cities were looted. A white peace would eventually be agreed upon by the two nations as one ruler had his reputation to worry about while the other ruler had the fate of his nation to worry about.

The newly acquired provinces from the Ottomans linked Hungary to Dulkadir and Castille. Indeed, Castille has taken territories that once belonged to Trebizon. Hungary and Castille would eventually go to war over those provinces but that would be in a different chapter. As mentioned earlier, Dulkadir would share a border with Hungary and, with no army of their own, they would be the next target for the Hungarians. No allies, guarantees or soldiers meant that single province nation fell swiftly. Only annexation awaited them and that resulted in Hungary sharing a border with a new nation. The nation of Persia was a rising power in the Middle East and they looked to expand wherever possible. Out of the chaos that was described the Middle East, Persia has managed to beat all odds and had few, if any, neighbors that could challenge their might. That was, until they met Hungary. Hungary looked to expand east which meant they had to get through Persia first. The new border would be the spark needed for new wars between the two nations for the control of the Middle East and rest of Asia.

The other new neighbor as a result of annexation of Dulkadir was Qara Koyunlu. As another single province nation, the Muslim nation would face the same fate as the Dulkadir. Taking out the two Muslim minors served another purpose for Hungary. A larger front was created against The Mamluks who has collapsed under rebellions and invasions by outside powers. The nation was in so much trouble that they no longer have a standing army. Considering that this nation once held enormous territory and feared by all nations in the Middle East, it was clear that their Golden Age was long behind them and decline awaited them. With other nations, like Syria, occupying Mamluk provinces, the Hungarian armies must move with finesse to lay siege to provinces held by rebels. It required patience and careful intelligence gathering but small gains were made. Two provinces would change hands as Hungary had more pressing matters to deal with. The Golden Horde and the Ottomans decided that it was time to declare war.

Golden Horde, like The Mamluks, was a shadow of its former self. They wished to take back Zaporozhie territory that once belonged to them and thought the Hungarians were too busy with The Mamluks. However, the Hungarian forces stationed in former Crimean territory were in position to intercept Golden Horde armies and, with better weapons and tactics, not only repelled the attack but launch a counterstrike on the enemy. The Ottomans thought Morocco would turn the tide for them but their ally was simply too far to be effective. The Ottoman sorry excuse of an army was wiped out in a single day and their cities were sieged. The Golden Horde handed over a single province while the war with the Ottomans raged on. Apparently, rebels in Jalayirids swore their loyalty to the Ottomans which saw the declining Muslim nation double in size in a single day. To completely defeat the nation, the fight must be brought to the Caucasus region. The war lasted a few extra months and the Ottomans were cut down once again. With only four provinces at their disposal, they could be annexed in the next war.

Section III

Chapter 39 (part 3)

[September 9, 2013]

(Los Angeles, USA)

Daniel stood beside the ATM machine and checked his cell for messages. As usual, there weren't much and he returned his cell back into his pocket. He looked at the nearest television monitor that showed Vilken's flight has already landed. He reached into his backpack to take out a sandwich. As he was about to take a bite, he saw Vilken exiting with his luggage. Vilken caught sight of him and waved. He rushed over and nearly bumped into a few people.

"Clumsy as ever," said Daniel when Vilken was close enough to hear him over the noise.

"Is that how you greet an old friend?" asked Vilken who caught sight of a sandwich. "Nice sandwich. Thanks! I'm starved."

Before Daniel could stop his friend, Vilken plucked the sandwich out of his hands and ate it in one gulp.

"That was my lunch!" complained Daniel.

"You can make another one at home. I'm your guest and you should treat me like one."

"I should leave you on the streets instead."

"I will pay for rent. You're still as cheap as ever."

Before Daniel had a chance to respond, Vilken reached in Daniel's bag and took out a bottle of water. He emptied the water bottle in mere seconds and threw it in the recycling box.

"My stomach is satisfied. Let's go," Vilken said but he saw Daniel staring at him. "What?"

Daniel burst out laughing. "You haven't changed one bit, my friend. And I have to charge you for the sandwich and water as well."

Vilken laughed as well. "Looks like you are still the Capitalist. No wonder you can't find a girlfriend."

The two friends exited the terminal and entered the parking lot where they got into Daniel's car. During the drive to Daniel's house, they talked about their university experiences and had a few good laughs. They agreed upon discussing business once they were in Daniel's house.

(Toronto, Canada)

"It's not your fault, Sam!" the woman tried to comfort her husband. "Jake went of his own accord."

"I could've have stopped him. I didn't." Sam couldn't stop grieving over his friend's death. "Emily, he was like a brother to me."

"I know." Emily held Sam's head against her chest as both of them grieved.

Emily was about to say something when Sam said, "I have to do it."

Sam shifted away from his wife and stood up from the sofa. He walked over to the window and wiped away his tears.

"I have to find the killer," he said. "Otherwise, I cannot live with myself."

"I know." Emily left the living room and went upstairs.

Sam knew his wife loved him but he couldn't let his friend's murderers get away with murder. One way or another, he would avenge his friend. Knowing that his wife was probably crying in the bedroom, he decided to leave the house. Emily would understand and he needed to get some work done. He entered the garage and turned up the ignition. Before he could get the garage door opener, it opened by itself and, when he looked to his left, he saw Emily with her own in her hands. Emily tried to give a reassuring smile but Sam knew she was hurting. They both were. With a nod, he drove the car out the garage and towards his workplace.

Section III

Chapter 39 (part 4)

[September 9, 2013]

(Toronto, Canada)

The traffic was just getting bad when Sam reached the highway. With a radio reporting an accident further ahead, Sam changed channels until he shut the radio off altogether. His car inched forward bit by bit but that didn't help with his patience. By the time he reached his workplace, he was ready to rip someone's head off. He drove to his parking space and parked in place. When he exited his car, he noticed a vehicle parked in Jake's spot. Curious about the owner of the vehicle, he entered the building and stopped at the front desk. The receptionist was typing on her keyboard when she noticed someone waiting. She looked up and smiled.

"Sam," she said, "I'm surprised to see you here."

"Who is Jake's replacement?" Sam looked around to see if he could spot anyone new.

"Oh, I'm surprised they haven't informed you."

"No, they haven't. I would think I'd be the first they inform."

"Let me do a quick check." The receptionist typed a few commands into her keyboard and scrolled through the list. "They have listed him as Jason Kulmala."

"Never heard of him. What do you have on him?"

"In the system, they say this guy's background is classified information only."

"Thanks for the help. I'll find out about this guy."

Sam left the receptionist to return to her duties. He walked over to the elevator and decided to instead take the stairs. He reached the third floor in half a minute and walked through the fire exit. In the hall, he nearly bumped into someone who seemed to be in a hurry.

"Watch it!" Sam said.

The stranger quickly apologized and stopped before the elevators.

"Who are you?" Sam asked as he wondered who this stranger was.

The stranger looked at Sam and took a short while thinking it over.

"I'm Jason," he said.

"Jason Kulmala?"

"Yes, how did you know my last name?"

"I'm Sam Andreas." Sam reached out his right hand.

Jason shook Sam's hand with eagerness.

"I've heard so much about you. I feel honored to be working with you."

"Where are you headed?"

"I've got a loose end I want to check out. It might shed more light on the death of the man I'm replacing if it pans out."

"Mind if I tag along?"

"It would be my honor."

The elevator door opened and the two men did their best squeeze into the crowded elevator. Sam spent the ride downstairs thinking about what loose ends Jason might be checking out. At ground floor, everyone exited the elevator with haste and went about their business. Sam followed Jason into the parking lot and decided to take Jason's vehicle. They got in and Jason checked his cell.

"What are you checking?" asked Sam.

"I'm trying to get Google Map to work."

"Where are you planning to go?"

"A friend's house. He's pretty good with computers and I want him to track something down for me."

"Why not use the personnel we have?"

"To be honest, I would rather place bets on my friend."

"Fair enough, give me the address and I'll see if I can get you there."

Jason said the address out loud and Sam, who have lived into Toronto for a few decades, just happened to know the neighborhood. They both put on their seat belts and started their journey to the suburbs.

Last edited:
Section III

Chapter 39 (part 5)

[September 9, 2013]

(Los Angeles, USA)

Daniel opened the door and looked behind him. He was surprised to see his friend so hesitant to enter the house.

"What's wrong?" he asked.

Vilken stood there for a few seconds before taking a few steps forward.

"You go in first."

"Why?"

"Last time I came here, your dad was still here." Vilken gave one of his awkward smiles and Daniel shook his head.

Daniel entered the house first and Vilken followed after he closed the door behind him. Inside, Vilken was still hesitant to move around and Daniel left him alone as he made his way to the kitchen. Daniel's stomach was growling for a long time since Vilken took his sandwich. Checking the fridge, he found the ingredients he needed to make a quick sandwich. Before he put everything back in, he wondered if Vilken was still hungry. Experience has told him that Vilken had a large appetite. Daniel called out Vilken's name but received no response. At first, he wondered if his friend was just playing a prank. As time passed by, he was getting an uneasy feeling and ran to the living room. He would see Vilken unpacking his bags with earphones stuck in his ears. Vilken stared up and saw Daniel. He took out one of his earphones with a puzzled look on his face.

"Anything wrong?" he asked.

"I was just wondering if you're still hungry," Daniel said.

"Will that be added to my tab?"

"Of course." Daniel smiles amusingly.

"I'll pass then. I'm running a low budget right now."

"Just kidding." Daniel could barely burst out laughing.

"Alright, I'll take two sandwiches," said Vilken with a big smile.

"Me and my big mouth!"

Daniel left his friend back to his packing and returned to the kitchen where he prepared two more sandwiches. He put the three sandwiches on a single plate and made his way back to the living room. Before he stepped in, he heard his friend chatting on a microphone and waited until he was done.

"Alright, love you! Mwah!" Vilken said before hanging up.

"Love you! Mwah!" teased Daniel as he brought in the sandwiches.

"That was a private conversation!" Vilken helped himself to his sandwiches.

Daniel, knowing from experience, took his sandwich before Vilken could get his hands on it. The two friend ate quietly in the living room before Daniel took the remote and turned on the television. The television turned on and it was on the news channel. The two friend listened to the news until the reporter finished with the story of a car bomb incident. Vilken saw his friend struggling in containing his emotions and grabbed the remote to turn it off.

"It must be tough," he said.

"Now I know how you feel when you learned your father died."

"I was young and didn't know him that well. There was never the attachment between us." Vilken noticed that the remote was still in his hands and placed it on the coffee table. "I couldn't imagine what you are going through."

"I hate the guy that blew my father up but I promised my mother that I wouldn't aim for revenge."

Vilken pat his friend on his shoulder. "How about I treat you to a strip club? It might lighten your mood."

"You can still think about stripping girls at a time like this?" Daniel couldn't help laughing out loud.

"I am a man and have needs to take care of."

"How about your girlfriend?"

"I'll say I'm helping a friend out. I'm not cheating on her by looking at naked girls, right?" Vilken smiled at the prospect.

"I'm all better. Let's get to business."

"What? I was looking forward to the trip."

"Maybe another time," Daniel said with seriousness, "Business first."

Section III

Chapter 39 (part 6)

[September 9, 2013]

(Los Angeles, USA)

Daniel and Vilken were chatting about their plans to approach the hacking when they heard the front door opening. The click of the lock told Daniel that whoever entered had a key into the house. Still, Daniel wasn't expecting anyone and, had it been his mother, he would have gotten a call from her. He stood and walked towards the front door cautiously while Vilken, anticipating that something might be wrong, stared at his friend with worry. The two friends saw a stranger entering the room and he seemed like trouble. Built like a bull, they knew that this stranger could kill them with ease. The stranger saw the two young men and pulled his right hand out of his pocket. Daniel, thinking that the stranger was pulling out a gun, prepared himself to pounce. To his surprise, the stranger's right hand was empty and he raised it towards Daniel.

"You must be Caspar's son," he said. "I'm Jack."

Daniel raised his hand to complete the handshake. Jack smiled as he looked around the living room.

"Just what I expect from Caspar. Now, We don't have much time. Pack all the necessities that are important and we're getting out of here." Jack sat himself down on the sofa. He watched the two boys stare at each other with confusion. "I'll explain in a minute. Please believe me and get your things packed."

"Who are you?" asked Daniel.

"I'm not surprised your father never mentioned me to you. Let's just say that I owe him my life and I need to protect you. Your friend will be coming with us too."

Daniel stared at Jack's eyes and his gut told him that they could trust this man. "Pack everything, Vilken." Daniel headed upstairs to pack his own stuff.

Ten minutes passed and the two young men packed everything. Jack took the lead and, when they exited the house, closed the door behind him. They walked over to Jack's vehicle and got in. As soon as they got their seat belt on, Jack floored the gas and they dashed down the street. Jack turned on the police siren. Daniel and Vilken looked at each other.

"He's a cop?" asked Vilken.

"I'm not," said Jack. "I've borrowed this vehicle."

"In other words," said Daniel, "you stole it."

"Not much of a difference in my dictionary," replied Jack.

"Can you explain why we needed to follow you?"

Jack turned on the radio and switched to the news. Few minutes later, a report caught the attention of Daniel and Vilken.

We had an accident on Highway 5 this morning. At around 9 am, a car was driven off the highway where it crashed into a ditch. When paramedics arrived, they have pronounced the victim dead on the scene. The victim is a forty year old Michelle Ekberg. She has recently been windowed after the death of her husband. Police found both incidents suspicious and clues indicate that their son, Daniel Ekberg, might be responsible for both deaths. They also urge the public to stay away from this man as he is believed to be armed and dangerous. Daniel is described as-.

Jack turned off the radio and saw, in his rear-view mirror, the shock on Daniel's face. The two passengers remained silent for the next few minutes before Daniel burst into tears. He couldn't believe that his parents were both dead and that he was blamed for their deaths. Vilken didn't know how to comfort his friend and chose to stay silent. Daniel's sobbing lasted a few minutes until he finally calmed down.

"Who?" asked Daniel.

"What?" Jack couldn't make out the question.

"Who killed my parents?" asked Daniel with hate in his voice.

"I don't know," replied Jack "All I'm doing is getting you two boys out of here."

"No," said Daniel, "I will get to the bottom of this."

"Daniel," pleaded Vilken, "please calm down and think this through."

"I have thought this through," Daniel shot at his friend. "I will track down the killer and get answers."

"Let him express his emotions, Vilken," said Jack. "He needs to vent his frustration somewhere."

"Why are you helping us? How did you know where to find us?" asked Vilken.

"I already explained that I owed my life to Caspar, Daniel's father. As for knowing where, there's a lady that pointed me the way."

"Who?" asked Vilken.

"A lady called Kim. She claimed that you're her boyfriend."

"How?" Vilken spoke to himself.

"Where are we headed?" demanded Daniel.

"A safer place," replied Jack. "If you are determined to stay, I'll protect you two until we could gather more information."

"What's after that?" asked Daniel with curiosity.

"We head to South Korea," was Jack's answer.

Section III

Chapter 39 (part 7)

[September 9, 2013]

(Los Angeles, USA)

Jack drove on the highway and turned off at an exit leading to a small town. He drove through the town and eventually entered an area where dirt roads replaced all the paved roads. He must have been familiar with the dirt road as he weaved through the roads with ease until they arrived outside a shack. Jack turned off the ignition and stepped out of the vehicle. Daniel and Vilken did the same and took a look around them. Other than a few buildings in the distance, there was no chance that they would see any other soul in these parts of the wilderness. They then turned their attention to the small shack.

"I don't think the three of us fit in there," VIlken stated.

"I think it's just a pit stop," said Daniel. "It's a toilet that's out of sight."

"Who cleans it then?" joked Vilken.

Jack walked up to the shack and turned around. "Are you two boy done clowning around?"

Hearing seriousness from Jack, the two young men immediately shut up and walked up to him. Jack, seeing that he got the attention of the two youngsters, turned around to open the door. He entered the shack and knelt down feeling the floorboards. When he found the ones he was looking for, he lifted the boards with care and a hole eventually materialized. Daniel and Vilken took a look but it was pitch dark in the hole. Without warning, Jack pushed them into the hole and they both landed awkwardly.

"What was that for?!" shouted Vilken.

"I don't know how long you two are going to gawk at the hole," Jack replied. "I just thought a small push was necessary."

"It's pitch dark down here," said Daniel.

In response, Jack threw him a flashlight which Daniel caught with some difficulty in the dark. Switching the flashlight on, Daniel scanned his surroundings and found that the tunnel only led one direction. He started to take the lead with Vilken following right behind him. Few seconds later, he heard Jack joining them after returning the floorboards where they belonged. The three men walked down the tunnel and, a few minutes later, they came across a dead end. Daniel knew that the tunnel only had one path which meant that there was a secret door. He told Vilken and Jack to back off so he can retrace his steps. While retracing, he noticed a few rocks that seemed out of place. To an untrained eye, one would think the rocks somehow found their way down the tunnel naturally. However, Caspar has taught Daniel since a very young age in finding things that were out of place. Daniel noticed the rocks stopped at a point and no longer continued down to the dead end. He felt around the wall until he felt something he was looking for. Hidden in one of the small holes, he found a switch and pushed it.

"Nice job," said Jack. "I expected no less from the son of Caspar."

A doorway opened and light was visible at the other end. The small party entered through the doorway before Jack closed it with the press of a switch. Daniel turned off the flashlight and walked towards the light. At the opening where the light was shining through, Daniel and Vilken were briefly blinded by the intense light. It took awhile for their eyes to readjust to the light and they found themselves staring at an underground facility.

"This facility has everything you need," introduced Jack. "You two will be assigned rooms and then I'll give you two a tour. This will be our base of operation until it's time to get you two out of the states."

"Sounds good," said Daniel.

Vilken wanted to ask more questions but Jack was already making his way down the ramp. Daniel and Vilken followed behind while trying to absorb everything they saw. It was quite overwhelming at first with all the rooms and machines that were running underground. They also saw quite a few people who stared back at them. Curious about these people, Daniel was going to ask a question when Jack suddenly stopped.

Jack pointed to the tunnel to his right. "There are a few vacant bedrooms down this tunnel. The vacant ones have their doors open. Pick one and tell me. We'll then start our tour."

Daniel and Vilken made their way down the tunnel and noticed the doors on either side of them. They passed half a dozen doors or so before they reached the section where the vacant rooms were at. Daniel was going to take a look at a room when Vilken grabbed him by the shoulder. Daniel turned around and saw worry in his friend's eyes.

"What's wrong?" asked Daniel.

"Can we trust Jack?"

"If he wanted us dead, he would have killed us in our house already."

"What if he wanted information?"

"What information do we have that's of value?"

"I've read this somewhere. They cut us off from society by labeling us as criminals. Next, they have one of their own befriend us to lower our guard. Once they extract the information they need, they terminate us."

"Alright, how do they know about Kim then?"

"Well, they might be aware of our relationship. I didn't keep my relationships a secret, you know?"

"Still, I trust this man. I will admit that I'm not proud about it but the CIA and FBI have ways to force you to tell them what they need."

"You mean torture?"

"Exactly. Why would they waste time when they could make us talk from fear?"

"You got a point."

"Seeing what has transpired, I'm not surprised you are edgy. Let's find a room and return to Jack."

"Alright, I trust you in this."

:blink: I'm kinda confused. How does this have to do with the AAR? Is this a side story?

:blink: I'm kinda confused. How does this have to do with the AAR? Is this a side story?

I've just changed it up quite a bit. What has transpired in Section I and II were the "works" of a character in the modern age. Section III and onwards would show stories being played out through the modern age. I will eventually show what has happened in my Hungary game but it will be shown only through the eyes of characters in the modern age. I will admit that this has changed dramatically compared to what I have started at the beginning. If it helps, you can see Section III as the start of a new whole new chapter for this AAR.

Last edited:
Section III

Chapter 39 (part 8)

[September 9, 2013]

(Somewhere in California, USA)

Following the brief conversation with Vilken, Daniel stepped into one of the rooms. The small was only large enough to fit a bed and a small closet. Entering the room, Daniel found himself having just enough room to stand without his head hitting the ceiling. He opened the closet to find two hangers. The interior of the room was painted white and, from the looks of it, none of the furniture seemed to be used. Surprisingly, there was no sign of dust which suggested that someone must have cleaned these vacant rooms regularly. As for the occupied rooms, Daniel couldn't speculate until he could gain access to one. On his way out, he noticed a large number, 7, drawn on the door facing outwards. Daniel decided to take the number 7 room and he noticed his friend exiting the number 8 room.

"Quite a simple room," said Daniel.

Vilken nodded and still seemed fidgety. Daniel wasn't in the mood for a conversation and took the lead out the tunnel. They arrive outside where Jack was waiting.

"I got the 7 and Vilken got the 8," said Daniel.

Jack nodded and wrote some things on a clipboard across the tunnel. He returned the clipboard to its proper place and started to walk the way they came in through. Daniel and Vilken followed without a single word and the small party stopped by a desk where a man was working.

"Get lost! I'm working."

"Telling me to get lost?" Jack hit the man lightly on the head.

The hit turned the attention of the man towards the party. He took a quick look of everyone before focusing on Jack.

"What was that for? I thought you were one of these brats."

"Calm down," said Jack, "Earl."

"What do you want?" asked Earl impatiently.

"I heard this Vilken kid isn't bad with computers. I'm going to let him tag along with you."

Before either Vilken or Earl could say something, Jack grabbed Daniel by the arm and dragged him away. Vilken and Earl looked at each other with puzzlement. Few seconds later, Earl sighed loudly and pointed to a chair nearby.

"Don't know what Jack is thinking but you might as well grab that chair and get comfortable."

Vilken did as instructed and moved the chair over so he could siat beside Earl. Earl typed in several commands and waited for a software to load up.

"You know what this is?" asked Earl.

"I'd say you are simulating something. The commands you entered allows you to save the simulation while it's rendering so you can revisit it later."

"Not bad. Jack wasn't kidding when he said you know computers. Where are you from?"

"I'm from Sweden."

"Your profession? Or do you stay with your parents living like a leech?"

"I work for Säpo. I have my own house and a girlfriend."

Earl whistled and turned his attention to Vilken.

"Well, kid. I'm impressed. You definitely got your future figured out."

"How about you?"

"Me? I live here and still single. Some may call me a failure."

"I don't think so. There's something about you that I feel is different from others."

"You, kid, have good eyes. You may call me Hacker 7."

"You? You're part of the 13 Hackers, right?"

"It's only 12 Hackers now."

"What happened?"

"We lost contact with one of the Hackers. He's presume dead unless we could find him alive."

Last edited:
Section III

Chapter 39 (part 9)

[September 9, 2013]

Daniel kept looking back at his friend but Jack's grip on his arm was firm. Unable to pull free, he had no choice other than let Jack lead him away from his friend.

"Don't worry. He'll be fine with Earl." Daniel felt slightly reassured and, had he known where he was headed, he would be content being led by Jack.

As though he read Daniel's mind, Jack pointed to a door a few meters away from them. Daniel looked at the door and realized that it was different from the other doors. This door was reinforced by steel and seemed impregnable from the outside. When they arrived in front of the door, Jack entered a series of codes before lowering his eyes to a scanner above the keypad. Daniel noticed from the corner of his left eye that a camera was focusing on both him and Jack. A click was heard which was followed by Jack pushing the door inwards. He gestured Daniel to follow and entered the room without another word. Daniel didn't need convincing as his curiosity was already getting the better of him.

Daniel entered through the door and noticed the door shut behind him automatically. He scanned around but couldn't spot Jack. He found himself in a dim tunnel that stretched downwards to the unknown. With care, he moved forward cautiously while using his hands to steady himself in the dark. When he exited the tunnel, Daniel couldn't believe his eyes. Before him, it seemed like a movie set of an underground command center in a sci-fi movie. A large monitor was located at the other end with multiple smaller stations positioned neatly across the room. There were several people busy at work typing commands as though they were working towards a tight deadline. Like the tunnel, the large room was quite dim but Daniel's eyes have adjusted to the darkness somewhat. He looked down and saw a few steps. Taking each steps carefully, he tried to absorb everything he was seeing. At the bottom of the steps, he caught sight of a woman. For a second there, his heart skipped a beat. Being focused on her, he failed to notice the shadow sneaking up behind him.

"She's a beaut, isn't she?"

The voice startled Daniel who quickly placed his hand on his chest to calm his beating heart. He turned around to see Jack wearing a different coat.

"Like my coat?" he asked when he noticed Daniel looking at his coat.

Daniel couldn't help but smile at how snug Jack seemed in the new coat. He simply nodded because he didn't trust his voice.

"Her name is Xue."

"That's a beautiful name." Daniel couldn't stop looking at her.

Xue looked up and caught sight of Daniel who quickly looked away. Jack leaned against the rails and a smile formed over his face.

"She's giggling over your shyness. I'd say you have a chance."

"What?" Daniel stared back at Xue but she was already returned her focus on her monitor. "She has a beautiful name."

"It means snow. I think it suits her." Jack kept his eyes on Daniel.

Daniel nodded and scanned rest of the surrounding. "What is this place?"

"This used to be a bunker during the Cold War. It's now the headquarters for the CAS92."

"CAS92?" Daniel looked at Jack with puzzlement.

"CAS stands for your father's first name. 1992 was the year it was established."

"What's the meaning of this headquarters?" Daniel saw Jack walking away and followed after him.

"I'll show you," Jack said as he led the way up the stairs.

Using the rails as support, Daniel made it up the stairs behind Jack. The stairs took them to a second level where several rooms were located. The rooms were dark suggesting that no one was using them. Passing the rooms, Daniel caught sight of a few weapons that were placed on racks.

"That's the armory," said Jack matter-of-factly. "We need ways to defend ourselves against enemies."

"You have enemies?" Daniel only realized after he asked that it was a dumb question. "What I'm trying to say is how well known is the CAS92?"

"Not very," said Jack as they continued along the second level. "Your father wanted the operations here to stay a secret."

Daniel looked around Jack and he was momentarily blinded. Ahead of them, a room was very well lit and Daniel's eyes were poorly adjusted to it. He was about to ask Jack how he could stand the light when Jack handed him something. He grabbed it to discover that he was given sunglasses. Putting on the sunglasses, he found himself struggling to see around him except for the sections lit by the light.

"Let's go."

The duo made their way to the room and entered without a word. Two men were sitting inside and Daniel recognized one of them as Smith.

"It's been too long, Daniel." Smith rose up and shook Daniel's hand. "Let's get right down to business, shall we?"

Section III

Chapter 39 (part 10)

[September 9, 2013]

Daniel sat down in the only empty seat in the room. He stared at the other men which Smith noticed.

"This is Samuel. Samuel, this is Daniel." Smith did a quick introduction.

Samuel stood up and shook Daniel's hand. "Nice to meet you, young man. I've heard a lot of good things about you from your father."

Smith had a small cough and Samuel returned to his seat. Smith then turned towards Jack. "How much did you tell him?"

Jack shook his head and Smith nodded in reply. Their movements weren't missed by Daniel. "What do you two know? What is it you two need to tell me about?"

Daniel felt Jack's hand gently push him down to his seat and realized that he stood up without knowing. "Sorry."

"It's alright," said Samuel. "I, for one, understand the pain of losing a father. How are you dealing it mentally?"

"I still feel numb. It just doesn't seem like reality. I almost believe that I would wake up any moment and he would be there." Daniel felt his eyes watering and bit down on his lip.

"You shouldn't let the emotions bottle up like this." Samuel looked sympathetically at Daniel. "Well, let us break the news to you then. We know who is your father's killer."

"Who?" The pain inside Daniel eyes turned to hatred in seconds.

"Do you know a man called Chukchov?" asked Smith.

Daniel's eye widened at the news. "No, it couldn't."

Jack rested a hand on Daniel's shoulder and waited until they had eye contact. "We didn't believe it at first but all clues led to him. We initially thought he was caught in the blast as well. However, we discovered a large sum of money delivered to his account recently."

Daniel broke eye contact and stared at the floor. "It's not possible. My father saved his life. He was even willing to take a bullet for my father."

"He received three million dollars in a single transaction, Daniel." Jack said it in a firm voice. "That's a lot of money and Chukchov knew it too."

Daniel looked up and was about to say something when Smith held out his hand demanding silence.

"I know that you want to track down and make him pay," said Smith. "The only problem is that he's dead."

Daniel stared back in shock. The anger that surged up earlier in him dissipated immediately. "How?"

"Whoever hired him silenced him in addition to his partner. We now have two dead bodies without any leads." Smith walked over to the doorway staring out at the large monitor. "Daniel, do you know how difficult it is to bear this pain? Your father and I went way back. Even with all these resources, we are unable find the killers that ordered your father's execution. We-"

Smith's little speech was cut short when the alarms sounded. He stared at Samuel while Jack was already at his feet. Jack went out to the rails where he shouted commands to everyone below. Moments later, a large explosion shook the entire underground facility. Most of the lights went out and more explosions followed the first explosion. Daniel struggled out of the room and held onto the rail for his life when an explosion took place behind him. The blast sent him flying into the air into a workstation below. Other than several bruises and cuts, Daniel was lucky to have not broken anything vital. He was trying to get up when a hand reached out to him. He grabbed it and was pulled to a seating position.

"Let's go." The voice came from a woman that made Daniel tingly inside.

An explosion jolted him back to reality as he got off the table and followed the rough outline of the woman in front of him. Unsure where they were going, Daniel felt that he had to trust the woman that helped him to his feet. He was basically walking in darkness with only a few emergency exit signs as the only source of light. The woman ahead of him seemed to be familiar with the layout and was maintaining a pace that Daniel can keep up with. Daniel soon lost all sense of direction and relied solely on keeping close to the woman. Suddenly, the woman stopped and started pushing against something. Daniel reached out and felt something that resembled a door.

"Help me push," said the woman.

Daniel stood beside the woman and caught a whiff of her perfume. Shaking that out of his head, he pushed with all his strength and the door started to budge. A minute later, they were outside in the barren field with a partially covered moon overhead. Daniel was about to talk to the woman when she suddenly grabbed him and threw him to the ground. The woman then got on her stomach and put a finger in front of her mouth. Daniel nodded and stayed down. A flashlight beam passed over them resulting in neither of them breathing. The minutes ticked by until the woman tapped Daniel. She motioned Daniel with her head to follow her and started making her way to the nearby ditch. Daniel followed after her and looked back once to see large clouds of smoke in the air. Whatever explosives that were used were meant to kill all those within.

Section III

Chapter 39 (part 11)

[September 9, 2013]

(Toronto, Canada)

Sam drained his mug of coffee while sitting on a couch. He stared at Jason and his friend, Josh, working away at the computer. He tried not to look bored but he was doing a poor job. Seeing his mug empty, he walked over to the coffee machine to refill it. Halfway through, he heard cheer behind him and nearly dropped the mug. He joined them shortly as the two other men were looking at each other with big grins.

"Well, I take it that you two found what you were looking for?" Sam took a sip of coffee.

Jason stared back looking like a man that just aced his final exam. "You can bet on it. We managed to track down the IP address."

"Could you explain to me again why we need this IP address?" Sam asked with seriousness.

"I'll leave you two to your discussion." Josh exited the room and decided to make a sandwich for himself.

Jason waited until his friend was upstairs before resuming the conversation. "You see, the writer, Matthew, was in contact with his brother before he knew about Chris."

"Why would contacting family members catch you eye?" Sam was puzzled about the lead they were looking into.

"Ah, that's the beauty. Most people won't suspect it and I wouldn't have had he not deliver a few large sized files over."

"What were in those files?" Sam sat down on a chair while showing interests about the lead.

"They are Wordpad files that are actually saves to a game. The game is called Europa Universalis III."

"What's so special about this game?"

"I don't know. I believe that we will find answers if we reach that brother of his."

"That's where the IP address come in."

"Correct." Jason did a little stretch to loosen his tight muscles. "We now know the IP address is 210.9.169.3. In other words, it's in Australia."

"Where exactly in Australia?"

"Sydney."

Sam rubbed his temple to fight the headache he was getting from too much coffee. He began piecing the information together but came up with nothing. Jason stayed quiet the whole time as he waited for Sam to come up with a solution.

"What do you think about a trip to Sydney?"

Jason returned the huge grin and nearly embraced Sam. "That would be awesome!"

Sam then excused himself and took out his cellphone. He called his wife and explained about his trip to Australia. Like always, Emily listened without interrupting him once. When he was done, Emily simply said good luck and hanged up. Sam returned to the room and told Jason to drive him to their workplace.

"Sorry for being nosy but what did your wife say?" asked Jason as they exited Josh's house.

"She said little but I know she supports me," Sam said with a small smile. "Are you married?"

"I was recently divorced. My wife couldn't handle me being away all the time. She and the kids grew distant over time." Jason entered his car without another word.

Sam, sensing that he struck something sensitive, chose to end the conversation there. Jason drove in silence and dropped Sam off at the workplace before heading home. Sam entered his car, drove home and parked inside the garage. Entering the living room, he found a suitcase with everything he needed packed. Emily was already asleep on the bed and, fearing that he would awake her, Sam slept on the couch. Under the coffee table, Sam found a tissue paper that suggested Emily was crying. With the tissue in his hand, Sam failed to fall asleep that night.

Last edited: