• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Section II

Chapter 29 (part 4)

[February 26, 1356]

(somewhere in Gulf of Varna)

When his boat is beside the sinking fishing boat, the captain orders his crew to quickly help the other crew. No one hesitates to jump onto the other boat to help those in distress. The Byzantium warship is closing the distance with the sinking boat. As the warship gets closer, the captains realizes that the Byzantium sailors are preparing their bows. Few minutes later, the Byzantium soldiers are letting loose arrows after arrows onto the sinking boat. A few of the crew members are injured in the first few volley but they are fortunate that, given the archers are still so far, the arrows haven't result in any serious wounds. However, the Byzantium warship is closing quickly while only half of the crew on the sinking boat are rescued onto the captain's boat. The captain sees that there is no way he and his crew can escape. Just as he is about to order his crew to get whatever they can use as a weapon, a projectile flies over their boat and hits the Byzantium ship. Looking behind him, he sees a Turkish warship coming towards him. A sailor from the Turkish warship yells order to the fishing boat.

Sailor: Get everyone on your boat and head to safety! We will deal with the Greeks!

The captain nods his head in acknowledgement and continues directing the rescue. By the time everyone is safe on his boat, the captain realizes that the two warships have already engaged in fierce battle. The Turkish sailors have boarded the Byzantium warship and both sides are engaged in melee combat. He immediately orders his crew to start rowing their boat to the safety of land. Even as they sail away, the captain can hear the cries on the warship where men are being cut down or dying. The captain remembers a time when he fought for the Turkish navy. He can still imagine the bloodshed on the ships he boarded. Hoping to forget about the bloodshed, the captain picks the profession as a fisherman. Because he has experience in the war, he immediately got a promotion to being a captain to one of the fishing boats. Five years have passed since he began his life as a fisherman. It appears that he cannot escape the bloodshed that was common during war.

The captain checks how far they are from shore. The rescued crew did weigh the boat down but the crew still makes good progress through the water. The wind is helping push their boat in the direction of shore. Pretty soon, other fishing boats start joining along the journey home. Along the way, they also see many warships passing them by. Unlike the first warship, no one on the other warships even notices the captain. The sailors know that battle is coming soon and they are simply too tense. The captain sees himself in some of the sailors. He remembers his youthful days when he feels proud being a sailor for his nation. Those days are long gone and all the captain have left are nightmares and regrets. Being deep in thought, the captain doesn't notice Arzu walking up to him.

Arzu: Captain, that was a close one. I must say Allah is looking over us. The timing of that warship couldn't have been better.

The captain is jumps on as he is startled by Arzu.

Arzu: Captain, are you feeling alright?
Captain: I'm fine.
Arzu: You don't look too good.
Captain: I'm alright!

The captain realizes that he catches the attention of everyone else. Taking a deep breathe, he tries again.

Captain: That was too close for comfort. My heart is still pounding in my chest.

Arzu isn't convinced but he knows when to stop nosing around.

Arzu: I said the timing of that warship couldn't have been better.
Captain: Looks like our fishing season has ended. It will be a long time before we can safely fish in the Black Sea.
Arzu: Look at the bright side. We have survived that attack and everyone is safe.
Captain: How's that child?
Arzu: He still has a high fever but I think he'll survive. He slept through that entire battle.
Captain: Our young men are dying in this war right this moment. Did you see the warships that passed us?
Arzu: I counted at least a dozen.
Captain: I have a feeling that our enemy has roughly the same number. The sea will be red by the time the battles are over.
Arzu: We are an hour from land. Once we get there, we can get medical help for everyone that needs it. There is one nasty looking wound for one of our crew members.
Captain: Will he live?
Arzu: He'll do more than that. He'll be bragging to the women in our village about his bravery and valor.
Captain: If he survives through it, I guess he has that right.

The captains takes a look at the direction of the battle. Thinking back, he starts crying.

Last edited:
Section II

Chapter 29 (part 5)

[February 26, 1356]

(Fishing village off Bolu)

The fishing fleet has arrived safely at their villages. The captain gets off the boat quickly to find the local physician. The physician is, luckily, at home which meant that the physician was able to gather his stuff quickly before following the captain. While walking quickly towards the boat, the physician wants more information.

Physician: What's the hurry? I thought you said nobody got any serious injuries. At least, none of which that are life-threatening.
Captain: I'm not worried about my crew members.
Physician: What a great captain your crew got. You are the envy of the world.
Captain: Very funny. We fished up a young boy before we started heading back. He's not in the best of conditions.
Physician: I see, that's why you told me to hurry. How long do you think the boy has been in the waters?
Captain: Not long enough to drown. That's the best estimate I can come up with. I'm surprised he's still breathing.
Physician: Sometimes, youngsters can overcome obstacles men couldn't overcome. I wouldn't be surprised. There should be something keeping him going.
Captain: He's mumbling a name.
Physician: Can you make out what he's saying?
Captain: I'm no expert with language. If I were you, I would ask the white missionary. He's from Italy and I assume that he can translate for you.

The two men can see the boats now. The crew is busy getting everyone off the boat and get them into a comfortable position. Seeing the physician approaching, they quickly open a path up. Arzu calls out.

Arzu: Over here! The boy is here!

The physician makes his way through the crowded port until he stands before the boy. He kneels down to perform an initial assessment. He then takes out some of the herbs in his bag and starts grinding them. Taking a small bottle of liquid, he mixes the two before pouring it into the child's mouth. When the child swallows the medicine, he has an expression of disgust before he goes back to sleep. Arzu approaches slowly.

Arzu: Is he alright, physician?
Physician: He will be alright. He's a strong boy and will grow to be a strong man. From what your captain told me, I assumed his condition was much worse. After seeing his reaction to the medicine, I would say that rest will be all that he needs to recover. There is one thing I want to ask you.
Arzu: Yes?
Physician: Did you accidentally maim his foot when you pulled him aboard?
Arzu: What? I didn't even know he was maimed. We just pulled him up with the fish in the net. We definitely didn't use anything sharp until we got him out of the net.
Physician: I see. I guess he got the maim before.
Arzu: Can you fix the maim?
Physician: I'm afraid only a miracle can do that. If one of you did it, then I have a chance since it's a new injury. Considering this is an old injury, I have nothing that could make it right.
Arzu: I see.
Physician: I will check on the other men. You carry this boy to the fishing hut and keep him warm. It's best you keep an eye on him since he could wake up any moment now.
Arzu: Alright, I'll take care of that.

Arzu carefully picks up the boy and carries him to the fishing hut. He chooses the second floor where the boy can get peace and quiet while not interfering with the fishermen's work. Arzu gets a blanket and places over the boy. Whenhe stands up and look out the window, he sees storm clouds creeping in. He prays to Allah for the safety of the sailors who are most likely fighting for their lives in stormy conditions. Arzu turns around when he hears the boy cough. The boy continues sleeping on and Arzu, seeing the young boy's face, remembers his past. He, like this boy, has encountered war and lost all his family. The two of them share a similar fate and Arzu vows to reunite the boy with the person he mumbles in his sleep.

Last edited:
Section II

Chapter 29 (part 6)

[February 26, 1356]

(Kaposvár, Hungary)

Both the man and Mark turn towards the stairs when they heard someone scream fire. A few seconds later, a large explosion takes place somewhere downstairs and shakes the entire manor. Smoke is rising to the second floor and the door Mark is standing in front of suddenly opens up. The viceroy is wearing his pajamas and sees the two men in front of his door.

Erik: What the hell is going on here? You two, what's happening?
Man: I'm afraid your life ends here.

Without another word, the man drives a dagger into the viceroy's stomach. Erik looks at the man with disbelief and tries to push himself away from the man. All Erik accomplishes is falling backwards as his stomach wound bleeds nonstop. He reach out his hand towards Mark and tries to form words with his mouth. No words came out and Erik slowly goes into unconsciousness. When the man is sure that the viceroy won't survive, he heads towards the stairs. Mark, stunned by the development of events, snaps out of it and follows the man. By the time the two man arrive at the stairs, flames have engulfed much of the manor. The two men skip down the stairs two at a time and reaches the main floor in no time. With all the hallways engulfed in smoke and flames, the two men decide to take the direct route which is the main gate. The two of them start pushing the door which refuses to budge at first. Pushing with all their might, the two men were able to open a gap large enough for both of them to squeeze through. Once outside, they hear the cries of men who are trying to put out the fire in the manor. The two men slip into the shadows and leave the manor grounds without anyone noticing them. In a dark alleyway, the man mutters a thank you before disappearing into the darkness. Mark looks back to the manor. By now, the flames that engulfed the manor were so great that they light up the skies. Staring at the scene for a few more minutes, Mark makes his way back to his hideout.

When Mark reaches the front of his hideout, he looks around to check if anyone follows him. Once he gets inside, he starts crying.

Mark: Why? Why did I choose to go through with it? What did we accomplish? The viceroy is dead but so is everyone else. I hate myself. I don't know why I went through all that. I've lost everything in that fire. Why am I still alive? Out of everyone, I'm the one to walk out without a scratch. Why? Why!!!

Mark collapses as he fall asleep from the exhaustion. He dreams about a happier time when his family is whole. A time when he felt nothing could ever go wrong.

Tranquility has returned to the fishing village a few hours after the fishing boats arrive at the port. The physician has looked after all the wounds and everyone returned home. Arzu stays at the fishing hut to look after the boy. By then, all of the day's catches have already been processed in the fishing hut and the smell of fish pollutes the room. While Arzu is used to the smell, the boy has reacted poorly to it. Luckily, the boy was too exhausted to wake up from the smell. Arzu starts dozing off when he hears the door opening. He turns around and sees the captain coming in.

Captain: How's the child? I haven't had a chance to ask the physician regarding the child's situation.
Arzu: The boy isn't in any mortal danger. He isn't dealing too well with the smell here but he's otherwise fine.
Captain: I could stay here if you want. You have a wife to go back to.
Arzu: My wife told me to not come home when I return.
Captain: You two got into a fight again.
Arzu: Yes, I think staying away for a few days would be a good idea.
Captain: You have no idea how fortunate you are to have a loving wife.
Arzu: How about you, captain? You never mentioned your love life.
Captain: No women finds me attractive right now.
Arzu: You know what I meant.
Captain: I had a perfect wife. I left her to join the navy. After the war, I was left with nothing.
Arzu: Have you tried to look for her again?
Captain: No, I've decided that she probably married again.
Arzu: What if she waited for you all this time?
Captain: ...
Arzu: If she's as perfect as you said, she might still be waiting for you.
Captain: I hope not.
Arzu: If I were you, I would make sure. We won't be heading out to sea for a long time. You might as well use this opportunity to check. It doesn't hurt to check.
Captain: Alright, you convinced me. You sure you don't want to head home today?
Arzu: No, I prefer to live to a ripe old age.

The captain chuckles and heads to the door. He takes what Arzu said to heart and decides to make plans. Arzu, alone once again in the fishing hut, goes back to his dozing.

Last edited:
Section II

Chapter 29 (part 7)

[February 26, 1356]

(Kaposvár, Hungary)

Mark was deep asleep when he is shoved awake by the door. Realizing that he is still at the doorway, Mark knows that someone is trying to get inside. Mark, having already given up about his life, merely looks up and sees a head poking into the opening. Once his eyes adjusts to the darkness, he is relieved with what he sees.

Mark: Ferenc!

Ferenc stares down and sees Mark. He is shocked with the appearance of Mark but he decides to back out first.

Ferenc: Oliver, Mark is in there. Let's go inside.

Ferenc helps Oliver get inside as Mark opens the door for them. Mark is relieved to see Ferenc and Oliver alive. As soon as he closes the door, he gets three stools for the three of them. Ferenc helps Oliver sit down before taking a seat himself. Mark is the last one to sit down.

Ferenc: What happened, Mark? You look like you aged overnight.
Oliver: I want to sleep.
Mark: You lie down then, Oliver. I'll chat with Ferenc for awhile.

Oliver goes to a corner and lies down to sleep. Mark and Ferenc wait until they are sure Oliver is asleep before resuming their conversation.

Mark: What do you mean by me aging overnight?
Ferenc: Your hair is all white.
Mark: Has it? I guess grief overtook me. I thought you were all dead.
Ferenc: I thought that was the case too. Luckily, Oliver and I were fortunate to escape the fire.
Mark: How? I was sure you two would check the basement.
Ferenc: You know us too well. We did explore the basement when we met with someone in the household there.
Mark: Did you get into a fight with him?
Ferenc: No, he was unconscious after drinking. He was the cause of the fire.
Mark: Let me guess, he left the torch by a barrel of rum.
Ferenc: You were close. He left his torch by a few dozen barrels of rum. When we arrived down there, a fire has already began taking place.
Mark: Did Oliver call out "fire?"
Ferenc: He did. Few seconds later, the torched rum exploded and both me and Oliver were caught in the blast.
Mark: I would have thought the blast killed you two there and then.
Ferenc: I was thinking that too until I felt myself being pushed against the walls that collapsed from our weight. Both of us were sent into some tunnels that were dug a long time ago.
Mark: That's interesting. I'd say you two were very lucky.
Ferenc: We were. I helped Oliver who appeared to have taken the worse of the blast. We traveled down the tunnel until we found an opening. It took awhile but we eventually got through the opening. We discovered that we were outside the city. By then, the sun has risen so we found a place to hide in. As soon as the moon came out, we sneaked back into the city and came here. I wasn't expecting you see you here though.
Mark: I didn't expect myself to survive either. I got really lucky when I avoided the fire altogether.
Ferenc: When the door met resistance, I thought the door needed some oil.
Mark: When I returned and closed the door, I fell asleep without bothering moving. I apologize.
Ferenc: What are our plans?
Mark: Let's start a new life as law abiding citizens. I'm getting too old for this.
Ferenc: We will need ducats, won't we?
Mark: That's why I got this.

Mark takes out a ring from his pocket. Even in the darkness, the ring seems to emit light.

Ferenc: Where did you get this?
Mark: The viceroy won't need it anymore.
Ferenc: I should've known.
Mark: It's time for us to begin a new chapter. I have a feeling it will end with a happier ending than this.
Ferenc: I concur.

Both of them look at Oliver who is asleep. What Ferenc cannot see in the darkness is the single drop of tear rolling down Mark's face.

Last edited:
Very good story line and plot.
and your writing is getting better to.
Sign me up!!

PS just read the whole thing 5 hours didn't want to stop.

Section II

Chapter 30 (part 1)

[February 27, 1356]

(Buda, Hungary)

A group of men gather at a tavern after the head of the group, Bernard, organizes a meeting with his men to discuss their next set of moves. The men, having stayed in Buda for a couple of weeks now, aren't dealing well with the lack of action and excitement. Their most recent assignment had some thrills but it wasn't enough for them. As soon as Bernard calls the meeting, they arrive at the tavern early so they can hear about their new assignment. Once all seven men gathered at the tavern, Bernard leads the group to a room upstair.

Bernard: I'm sure that you are all getting tired of the quiet life we have here. We finally received our next sets of instructions. Are you all ready?

One man raises his hand. Bernard looks towards him.

Bernard: David, when did you become so polite? Did something happen? Did you meet a gal you like?
David: Hell no! I just thought about trying this polite thing for awhile.
Bernard: Miksa, did a preacher get to him?
Miksa: Don't ask me, boss. I have no idea. I usually stay away from him. He attracts trouble as easily as a dog attract fleas.
David: What's that supposed to mean? I wish to state that I'm a very likable guy who always stay out of trouble. Right, Damian?
Damian: Sorry, what did you say? Did you want me to confirm that you are a troublemaker? If so, I will agree with you wholeheartedly.
David: Whose side are you on? Bruno, help me here!
Bruno: I'll have to side with Damian in this one.
David: Now, I know that I couldn't count on any of you in anything.
Bruno: Maybe Antonio will agree with you.
David: I would rather eat dung.
Antonio: I hope you'll go through with your statement. I don't mind seeing that.
Bernard: If you little girls are done your chitchat, we have some business to attend to. Our employer recently contacted me and we are going to Transylvania.
David: The war zone? I'm going to enjoy ....
Bernard: Shut it, David. We don't have much time since the group we are following has already departed. They are two days ahead of us which means we need to cover lots of ground. Before we can do so, we will need more supplies. Damian and Bruno, you two get food and any other supplies we need.

Bernard throws a pouch of ducats to Damian.

Bernard: Our employer has been generous which means that you can spare no expenses as long as you don't exceed the amount in the pouch.

Next, Bernard throws a larger pouch of ducats to a man sitting in the shadows.

Bernard: Dakon, you take care of the purchasing of weapons. Once we enter the war zone, I would prefer to have better weapons than daggers if we do encounter soldiers.

Dakon merely nods his head and leaves the room.

David: Wow, that man has some attitude problems. Why did he leave before Bernard finished his instructions?
Antonio: You want to go with him or something?
David: What makes him the ideal candidate for this job anyways. I know I can pick better weapons than him with my eyes blindfolded.
Bernard: In case you weren't aware, Dakon was once a weaponsmaster.
David: Yet, he is here with us. Where does he come from?
Bernard: Nobody knows. The past of this guy is unknown to all of us. He was hired because he knew how to get things done. Maybe you can learn a thing or two from him.
Miksa: While you're at it, try to learn to yap less. People might like you more that way.
Antonio: Don't they say you can't teach a dog new tricks.
Damain: That's a good one!

David. red from embarrassment, storms out of the room.

Bernard: Antonio, you go after him to make sure he stays out of trouble.
Antonio: Why me? Plus, why do we have to put up with him?
Bernard: As much as I hate to admit it, David has skilled hands when it comes to breaking into someone's home. We need his skills once we find the treasure site underground. There are a bunch of traps and David will get us through those in safety.

Antonio heads out to look for David.

Miksa: Any assignment for us two?
Bernard: Nope, we just stay put. Damian and Bruno, you two get going. Go to our hideout once you got all the supplies.

Damian and Bruno leave the room with only Bernard and Miksa left.

Miksa: I'm worried about our team composition. It could be better.
Bernard: I agree but we have what we got. We got many jobs done without any problems so far.
Miksa: I just don't want things to go wrong when we are so close to the treasure.
Bernard: I feel the same.
Miksa: Say, do you think our employer will let us keep a small portion of the treasure?
Bernard: I'm not sure but I'll make sure I get a piece of the pie. I gave up too much for this already.
Miksa: Both of us are becoming old. After this assignment, retiring somewhere with a beautiful woman seems like a nice prospect.
Bernard: You are always a dreamer, my friend.
Miksa: When you reach my age, that's all you know how to do.

The two old friends laugh as they walk out the room. Once they step out the tavern, they look around and merge in with the crowd.

Last edited:
Thank you for puting Dakon in.
the reason I have been on so much I am on vacation till May 1.
you have got me back into the forums.
keep it up and I will continue to read all of yours.

Thank you for puting Dakon in.
the reason I have been on so much I am on vacation till May 1.
you have got me back into the forums.
keep it up and I will continue to read all of yours.

Thanks a lot because your comments mean a lot :). I will try to continue posting at my current rate. Good luck with your job and I will hopefully have a lot more posts ready when you return.

Section II

Chapter 30 (part 2)

[February 27, 1356]

Arzu wakes up to the creaking of the floorboards. He look up to see the boy exploring his surroundings. When the boy sees Arzu, he approaches the man.

Boy: Thank you for saving me! I am forever in your debt.

Arzu didn't understand a single word from the boy because he speaks in a foreign tongue. Arzu signals to boy to sit down before heading out the door. He turns around the corner and bumps into a man.

Man: Watch where you are going! What's the hurry?

Arzu sees the man on the ground and gives him his hand.

Arzu: Emmanuel, I was just looking for you! Please come with me.
Emmanuel: What trouble did you get yourself into this time?
Arzu: I haven't gotten into any trouble. I have merely needed your help with a child.
Emmanuel: Did you get a woman pregnant again?
Arzu: What do you mean again? I was innocent with that other woman. The child I'm talking about is the one we saved.
Emmanuel: I heard about that. How can I be of service then?
Arzu: He speaks a foreign tongue and I cannot communicate with him. We suspect he is an Italian.
Emmanuel: What makes you think he's an Italian? Is it because he is white?
Arzu: No, we have heard rumors of the hordes attacking settlements across the Black Sea. Since the child was found near there, there is a good chance that he was trying to escape the war with his family.
Emmanuel: Only he somehow got separated and ended up here. Take me to him then.
Arzu: Alright! This way.

Arzu guides Emmanuel towards the door and leads him inside. The boy is still sitting but he turned his attention towards the new arrival. Emmanuel speaks to the boy with his old tongue.

Emmanuel: How are you feeling, child?
Boy: I still ache everywhere.
Emmanuel: Care to share your name?
Boy: Christopher. Who are you?
Emmanuel: I'm Emmanuel. I'm a missionary.
Christopher: Did you see my younger sister?

Emmanuel asks Arzu if there are any news of Christopher's sister. Arzu shakes his head and heads out the door.

Emmanuel: My friend here hasn't heard anything. However, he's leaving now to see if he can get any information. Why were you in the water?
Christopher: My sister was sick and the crew threw her overboard secretly. I woke up in time to see them do it. I dived into the water after her. We were reunited but got caught in the storm. Next thing I know, I'm here with your friend.
Emmanuel: It's cruel how the crew give so little regard to human lives. You are indeed fortunate to live.
Christopher: I would prefer my sister live as well.
Emmanuel: If you pray to Allah, I'm sure he will try his best.
Christopher: Allah?
Emmanuel: He is the God we Muslims pray to.
Christopher: I thought all Europeans pray to the Almighty God. Not some God believed by heathens.
Emmanuel: I understand that you are still young. You will see the light one day. Are you hungry?
Christopher: I am.
Emmanuel: I'll take you to my home. We will eat there and hopefully my friend will have news by then.

Christopher follows Emmanuel out of the fishing hut onto the dirt path. Christopher is surprised by the people and buildings as they differ greatly from what he is used to. The local children, seeing him, also stopped their games to stare and watch. Christopher stares back until he bumps into Emmanuel.

Emmanuel: This is my humble little home. You are the first white person to visit it.

They both enter the hut which Emmanuel calls home. With the exception of the small interior, Emmanuel likes the home as it contains many of Emmanuel's possessions. These possessions were from Italy which made Christopher think about his home and his parents. His eyes start to water and he couldn't stop.

Emmanuel: Thinking about your sister?
Christopher: I hope she's alright. She deserved better than being thrown out the ship.
Emmanuel: The world can be a cruel place. I've seen too many innocent lives lost for no good reason. You are still young and many challenges will await you.
Christopher: You don't seem that old.
Emmanuel: I feel old. There are only so much things one can experience before he realizes that he is tired of living.
Christopher: What keeps you keep going then?
Emmanuel: Allah and the people in this village keep me going. Allah guides my path while the people in this village show me kindness and hope for all humans.
Christopher: Allah seems pretty amazing the way you describe him.
Emmanuel: He is. I would advise you to pray to him now. It won't cost you anything and it might give you some hope.
Christopher: Alright, here goes... Allah, Emmanuel says you help people. Please help me find my sister. If we get reunited, I'll be forever thankful of you. Please bring her to me alive.
Emmanuel: If you are done, we will eat. I will head next door to get our food. Please stay inside while I'm gone. I shouldn't be gone for too long.

Last edited:
Section II

Chapter 30 (part 3)

[February 27, 1356]

With Emmanuel outside, Christopher decides to look around the small hut. The interior of the hut is quite simple. There is a bed and a medium sized chest. On the chest, Christopher sees a small stack of letters. Beside the letters, he sees a small intricate statue that looks like a dog. He starts reaching out to touch it when Emmanuel returns.

Emmanuel: I see you have taken a liking to my wolf.
Christopher: Wolf? I thought it looks like a tamed dog.
Emmanuel: I guess it does. That statue came from my sister before she died.
Christopher: That's horrible? Did she get caught up in a war?
Emmanuel: No, she caught a terrible disease that began spreading in Italy. I was fortunate to survive it.
Christopher: Did you actually catch the disease?
Emmanuel: Yes, I was on a boat where everyone have the disease. I thought I was doomed but Allah has shown me the way.
Christopher: If you don't mind, I want to know how you got here.
Emmanuel: Curious, are you? I guess it's better keep you occupied while my friend see if there are news of your sister. Where should I start?
Christopher: You said you were once a missionary.
Emmanuel: Yes, my family was full of devout Catholics. We thought that God would rescue us from anything as long as we don't commit sins. I decided to follow in the footsteps of my father and grandfather which was a missionary. You see, our job was to convert heretics who has lost their way. The priests don't possess our abilities to change the ways of those that lost their way.
Christopher: Yet, you said you got on a boat.
Emmanuel: Yes, they said that they needed missionaries in Sicily where a group of heretics were hiding. We were meant to save them and, if we failed, the local authorities would use force. On my departure, my sister gave me that statue.
Christopher: That was the last time you heard from her?
Emmanuel: Yes, we never had an actual goodbye. I thought I would see her again but I was wrong. Of course, I didn't even know what awaited me the next few days. Like I said, everyone on the boat were infected. The sailors began to grow delirious and sent us way off course. We somehow went past Greece and continued heading east until our boat collided with rocks. The boat began sinking and I thought my life would end there.
Christopher: Did you pray to God?
Emmanuel: I was too ill to pray. All I remembered was a lot of shouting and someone grabbing me from the waters. Next thing I know, I ended up here in this small village.
Christopher: It must be interesting to be going to Italy and ending up all the way here.
Emmanuel: It was. I thought I was having a bad nightmare and cannot wake up. The physician here has lot of knowledge about herbs and healing. He managed to cure the disease which many in Europe thought was incurable.
Christopher: I fear my sister has that illness too.
Emmanuel: If we can find her, the physician can definitely cure her as well.
Christopher: Sorry, please go on with your story.
Emmanuel: When I was cured, I had no way to communicating with the people here. We speak completely different tongues and communication was hard at first. I slowly learned from the locals and began to master the basics of their language. I was able to eventually talk with them and learn from them. They said that I was the only survivor on the boat and that Allah was kind to me. That was the first time I heard of Allah and asked them to tell me more about their god.
Christopher: I hope you won't bore me with the teachings. I was never good with remembering the important religious stuff.
Emmanuel: Don't worry, I never intended about repeating our discussions. What ended up happening was that they convinced me that Allah was the one true god.
Christopher: How?
Emmanuel: In the teachings of Islam, they encourage learning of our world which they call science. As a result, they were able to discover cures for the diseases we thought that were incurable. I discovered that, as a Catholic, I was ignorant. I never wanted to learn more about the world the way Islamic scholars aimed to do. Their breakthroughs have definitely improved the lives of many. I don't want to remain backwards and that's why I became a Muslim.
Christopher: I see. If my sister is saved, I'll convert to a Muslim too. After all, Allah will have answered my prayer by then.
Emmanuel: That's the spirit. I bet you are starving now. Let's eat!

Christopher takes a careful look at the food brought in by Emmanuel. He tries them and finds them quite tasty. As both of them dig in, Christopher couldn't stop frowning.

Emmanuel: Still thinking about your sister?
Christopher: I'm worried that I made the same mistake as you. I didn't get a chance to say an actual goodbye to my sister.
Emmanuel: Now I wish I didn't share with you that story.
Christopher: It's not your fault.
Emmanuel: Here's an suggestion. We finish eating here and we'll look for my friend. That might make the waiting less painful.
Christopher: Thank you! I don't know how to thank you properly for your kindness.
Emmanuel: Don't thank me. I am merely performing my duties. It doesn't matter if I'm Catholic or Muslim. What's important is that I must show kindness to strangers so there's more love going around.
Christopher: I'll make sure to remember that.

Last edited:
Section II

Chapter 30 (part 4)

[February 27, 1356]

As soon as Christopher and Emmanuel finished their meal, they make their way to Arzu's home. When Christopher makes his way out the doorway, one of the children that stared at him earlier approaches him with curiosity.

Child: Hi.
Christopher: You can speak Italian?
Child: Little. He teach.

The child points to Emmanuel.

Emmanuel: He asked me to teach him some Italian. He has some of the basics but he still has a lot of work ahead of him.

Christopher turns to face the child.

Christopher: You are smart.
Child: Thank you!

Laughing, the child joins his friends and brags about his conversation with the strange new kid. Emmanuel taps him on the shoulders and point at Arzu who is walking towards them. When Emmanuel asks him, he simply shakes his head. Christopher takes the shake as there hasn't been any news about his sister. However, he refuses to believe that his sister simply left him.

Emmanuel: Don't give up hope. There will always be a chance she is alive. We simply confirmed that she isn't nearby.
Christopher: Where else can we look then? Is there a city nearby?
Emmanuel: Well, I'm not sure where we can head to next.

Emmanuel sees the captain with some bags walking towards them. The captain, seeing the boy standing on his own feet, feels relief.

Captain: Emmanuel, I see the boy is alright now.
Emmanuel: Yes, he is a strong lad. Where are you headed to?
Captain: I'm heading to Nicomedia.
Arzu: I'm surprised you're taking my advice.
Emmanuel: What advice?
Arzu: Our captain here has a relationship problem.
Captain: Did I give you permission to share that information?
Arzu: Emmanuel can keep a secret, can't you?
Emmanuel: You can count on me. By the way, I need a favor from you.
Captain: What is it?
Emmanuel: We are trying to find the boy's sister but Arzu hasn't gotten any news. We were hoping to head to a city where we can discover something.
Captain: He wants to come with me then?
Emmanuel: I will come along as well. The boy needs a translator and I doubt you can speak Italian.
Captain: You got that right. I'll give you a few minutes to pack up then.
Emmanuel: Alright!

Emmanuel knelt down to speak with Christopher.

Emmanuel: The captain here helped save your life as well. He's heading to Nicomedia, the capital city. We might be able to hear something about your sister there. I will go pack up now and we will head out immediately.

Emmanuel heads into his hut to start packing the few possession he need. Christopher looks up at the captain and is amazed by how tall he is. The captain seems like a kind man but Christopher knew in his gut that he is also dangerous. Arzu, feeling the awkwardness of the silence, strikes a conversation with the captain.

Arzu: You know what, I think I'll come along as well.
Captain: I prefer you stay here. You will bring us trouble we don't need.
Arzu: Everyone knows a captain can't do well without his right hand man.
Captain: You? A seagull can do a better job than you.
Arzu: Let me come please. My wife still won't let me go home.
Captain: Fine, I'll let you come because I pity you. As for ducats, ...
Arzu: Don't worry! I have enough on me for the journey.
Captain: Don't you need to save some for your wife?
Arzu: I already gave it to her sister. I saved enough for me to last awhile if I'm thrifty.
Captain: That shouldn't be too hard.
Arzu: Captain, that's harsh.
Captain: Well, get use to it.

The captain notices the boy staring at him the whole time. He approaches the child and pats him on the head. To his surprise, the boy not only didn't back away but he also smiled.

Arzu: You look like you would make an excellent father.
Captain: Shut it!

Both men start laughing and Christopher, unsure why they were laughing, laughs himself. Emmanuel leaves his hut to see the three people outside laughing.

Emmanuel: What did I miss?

Last edited:
Section II

Chapter 31 (part 1)

[February 28, 1356]

(Somewhere near Hungary-Transylvania border)

Ferdinand and his party has been traveling in the forest for two entire days and they have a hunch that they are close to the Transylvania border. Being close to the border also meant that they are close to the battlefield as well. The party has been very lucky as they have yet to encounter a single soldier along the way. Now, they must tread with caution or they would be in deep trouble should they get caught in the crossfire of the two sides. The sky has been the clear for the last couple of days but rain clouds have moved in and threatened rain to the travelers. The party decides to have a short rest before continuing its journey.

Marcus: I don't like the idea of traveling through rain. My suggestion is to find a cave where we can stay out of the rain for the night.
Ferdinand: Shouldn't we keep moving? I thought we are real close to our destination.
Marcus: We are close to our destination. Don't forget that we are also really close to danger. We haven't encountered any soldiers so far but we have a greater chance of meeting them around here. I don't want to get myself caught. Trying to explain ourselves won't do much good as they will probably try us as spies and execute us.
Cato: Ferdinand, we should listen to Marcus. He's right about the situation we are in. We have gotten this far. We shouldn't rush things and throw our progress away.
Ferdinand: Any idea where we can find a cave?
Marcus: I cannot help you there. I'm not too familiar with the area around here.
Andra: Actually, I can help. There's a hidden cave not far from here. To many, it seems like a pit but I've explored it when I was a girl. We can take cover there.
Richard: Andra, you lead the way then. I hope your memory is good because I don't want to get soaked. I'm too old to get wet to the bone.
Cato: You will be fine, my old friend.

The party makes its way carefully through the forest and avoids anything that could make a noise. The forest is awfully quiet when Marcus signals the entire group to drop down to their knees. A few seconds later, a man suddenly crashes into Marcus. Marcus is surprised by the collision but he recovers quickly. He sees the man wearing uniform of the Hungarian army. As he decides on his next move, he realizes two other men are standing behind him.

Man: Brother! Why did you stop? We need to keep moving before they catch us.

The man that collided with Marcus quickly unsheathed his sword and brings it down at Marcus. Marcus, a step ahead, has already pulled out his dagger and cuts the man's throat. The other two men, realizing that there were other people nearby, start unsheathing their swords as well. Their reaction was simply too slow as both Lucas and Paul already disposed of them.

Ferdinand: Why did you kill them?
Marcus: They are deserters. They abandoned the post so they can save their own skin. It didn't help that he chose to attack me.
Cato: I don't like this. If they deserted, we would surely expect more soldiers coming this way to hunt them down.
Marcus: Yes, let's move. We need to get away as quickly and quietly as possible.

Everyone in the party got on their stomach and start making their way away from their previous location. A few minutes later, they hear shouts from the distance.

Solider 1: Captain! We found them. They have their throats slit.
Soldier 2: Damn, who else is here?
Captain: The enemy. The enemy! Men! Move in parties of four and find the enemy scouts. They couldn't have gone too far. Go!

The party lie still on the ground as they wait for the nearby soldiers to move away. The time seems to stretch out forever and no one in the group dared to breathe out loud. Few seconds later, a party of soldiers appear to be walking nearby. The members in the party stay as still as possible and pray the soldiers miss them entirely. The soldiers were chatting among themselves about the lack of torch. As the seconds go by, the soldiers appear to be moving further away and their voices become nothing more than whispers. When the party is sure the soldiers are far away, they continue following Andra to the cave she was talking about. Another hour pass and rain droplets began making their way downwards.

Andra: There!

Andra startles everyone with her shout and everybody takes a look at where she is pointing. At first glance, it does appear as though she pointed at a pit. When they got closer, they realize the rock formation just made it seem that way. Andra volunteers to take the lead as she slide down into the cave entrance and crawl down the passage. The others soon followed and they found themselves inside a large chamber.

Andra: See, I told you there's a cave here. We also have some drinking water here.

Like Andra said, a small stream of water makes its way along one of the walls. There is plenty of space for everyone to lie down while one person can stand guard at the cave entrance.

Andra: Don't worry, I doubt anyone would notice this place. Let alone come inside.
Marcus: Well, miss. I haven't lived to this day being so optimistic. I prefer to be safe than sorry.
Cato: I guess we will be staying here overnight. I'd say we eat and get some sleep.
Marcus: Good call. If we start traveling early, the fog here could help conceal our movements. I'm pretty sure the rain will dampen the spirits of the soldiers.
Richard: Let's eat then. I'm starving.
Ferdinand: Calm down there, Richard. There's plenty for everyone.
Cato: Lucas, what's wrong?
Lucas: What?
Marcus: Something is gnawing at you?
Lucas: Call it a gut feeling. I just feel that something isn't right here. It feels like we are walking into a trap.
Richard: Don't be silly. Are you saying that the other group knows where we are going?
Lucas: I always trust my gut. It's just telling me that there are lots of dangers waiting ahead of us. I'm definitely not talking about the soldiers that are in the area.
Marcus: If I were the rest of you, I would take that to heart. Lucas' gut instinct has saved us three for quite a few times.
Richard: I'll make sure to remember that. As for my food, ...
Ferdinand: Richard is getting old. All he can think about is food and sleep.
Richard: What do you mean I'm old?
Andra: Richard, it's fine being old. My father didn't fare too well with his transition either.
Cato: On the bright side, the rest of us will experience what you are experiencing soon enough. Let's dig in.
Richard: Sure, keep making fun of the most vulnerable guy.

The party finishes its meal quickly before everyone, with the exception of one person, head to bed. Outside, the sky is raining heavily. As for Lucas, he couldn't shake the feeling that something is wrong. For some reason, he fears someone within the party is a traitor.

Last edited:
Section II

Chapter 31 (part 2)

[February 28, 1356]

(Somewhere in Bolu)

The captain and his party has set up camp when the sky turned dark. Sitting around the campfire, everyone in the party was having a simple meal before bed. Christopher finishes his meal first and wait for Emmanuel to finish his. As soon as Emmanuel finishes, Christopher peppers him with questions.

Christopher: Where are we going again?
Emmanuel: Nicomedia.
Christopher: You said it's the capital city of this nation?
Emmanuel: Yes.
Christopher: What nation are we in?
Emmanuel: I haven't mentioned it to you?

Christopher shakes his head.

Emmanuel: We are in the Ottomans.
Christopher: Ottomans? Never heard of them.
Emmanuel: They aren't a large nation. To Europe, the Ottomans are simply another Muslim nation.
Christopher: Yes, we put them all as one big thing. My parents told me to stay away from Muslims because they are dangerous.
Emmanuel: Do you find the captain or Arzu dangerous?
Christopher: No.
Emmanuel: Now you see how dangerous rumors are?
Christopher: Rumors?
Emmanuel: You see, there are people spreading rumors about how bad Muslims are. Because most of us haven't seen a Muslim in person, we believe what they say.
Christopher: It's wrong to spread those kind of rumors.
Emmanuel: I agree. The main problem is that Catholics don't usually get along with Muslims. That's why we had the crusades.
Christopher: I heard about the crusades in stories. What are they?
Emmanuel: They are called holy wars. People join them so they can go to heaven.
Christopher: Do they go to heaven for killing people?
Emmanuel: I don't know.
Christopher: What's Nicomedia like?
Emmanuel: I've never been there. I heard it's a big city with lots of people. That's partly why we are going there.
Christopher: So the Ottomans was found in Nicomedia?
Emmanuel: In a way, it was. The ancestors of these people originated in this region. They were ruling over a state that isn't really big. They slowly grew into the nation we know today and Nicomedia somehow became its capital.
Christopher: In a way, the Ottomans unified the people here?
Emmanuel: Yes, you can say it that way.
Christopher: Will there ever be someone that can unify Italy?
Emmanuel: I don't know. What makes you think that?
Christopher: My family left Italy because there were too many conflicts there. If Italy was unified, we won't have to worry about that anymore. We can live peacefully in Italy.
Emmanuel: I sometime wonder why officials can't think like you. If you ever have power, I have no doubt you will bring many great changes to the area.
Christopher: Do you miss your other family members?
Emmanuel: I miss them a lot. Most of them probably think I'm dead. There's isn't anything left for me in Italy.
Christopher: Until I find my sister, there isn't anything for me in Italy either.
Emmanuel: How about your parents?
Christopher: They won't forgive me if I don't bring my sister with me.
Emmanuel: For a child so young, you are already burdened with so much responsibilities.
Christopher: I don't see it as my responsibility. I love my sister and I'm merely performing my duties as a good brother.
Emmanuel: I do hope you will succeed. You have a good heart and Allah will bless you.

Just then, the captain taps Emmanuel on the should before leading him to a clearing nearby.

Captain: What were you saying to that child?
Emmanuel: He carries the burden of protecting his sister.
Captain: As a man, he will be shouldering a lot burdens than that.
Emmanuel: How long will it take before we get to Nicomedia?
Captain: It's going to take awhile. The latest war has reduced travelers on the road. We used to be able to ask someone to give us a ride but we aren't likely to get a chance this year.
Emmanuel: I really hope Allah will bring Christopher his sister.
Captain: Christopher? An interesting Italian name.
Emmanuel: Yes, though I found his character more interesting.
Captain: He's going to grow up to be a fine man. I know it.
Emmanuel: Why were you going to Nicomedia again?
Captain: I needed to check up on something.
Emmanuel: Arzu said it was a relationship.
Captain: I once had a sweetheart in Nicomedia.
Emmanuel: What happened?
Captain: I joined the navy and we never saw each other again.
Emmanuel: Why go back now?
Captain: Arzu said she might be waiting for me.
Emmanuel: This is the first time I've seen you so indecisive.
Captain: She was a wonderful woman. I just can't sleep until I'm sure she is happy.
Emmanuel: Why is Arzu with us then?
Captain: That idiot don't know how to appreciate his wife. He's stuck with us for awhile.
Emmanuel: Tell me about it. If I didn't know, Christopher is the adult and Arzu is the kid.
Captain: That's a good one!
Emmanuel: What will you do when you see her?
Captain: I haven't got that far yet.
Emmanuel: You usually think several steps ahead.
Captain: Well, I usually don't deal with something as complicated as relationship.
Emmanuel: Good point. Here's some advice. Get some sleep. I don't think you want to meet her in your cranky moods.
Captain: Thanks! I'll do just that.

Both men walk back to the campfire and wrap themselves in blankets. Christopher and Arzu almost fell asleep immediately while Emmanuel and Captain stayed awake longer. The captain is the last to fall asleep as he tries to anticipate his meeting with the love of his life.

Last edited:
Section II

Chapter 31 (part 3)

[February 28, 1356]

(Buda, Hungary)

Bernard stands in a dark alley waiting for Dakon. Dakon is late which isn't his style. Just as Bernard is worrying about the fate of Dakon, Dakon appears behind him.

Dakon: I apologize for taking this long. There was some business I had to take care of.
Bernard: It's not like you to go rogue on me.
Dakon: I haven't. I still got my job done. See here.

Dakon pulls his small cart over. He pulls off the cover slightly to reveal some of the weapons he purchased. Bernard walks over to the cart and has a look at one of the swords. After careful inspection, he nods his head and signals Dakon to bring his cart into the darkness.

Bernard: What took you so long then?
Dakon: You could say a few patrolling guards were giving me some trouble.
Bernard: You ended their life?
Dakon: I'm not taking any chances with them remembering my face.
Bernard: Looks like we need to act fast. A few guards not returning to barracks will arouse suspicion. If they are found dead, there will be a lot more problems. We should move out tonight.
Dakon: I agree.

Dakon waits in the alley with his purchases while Bernard heads to a nearby tavern to gather his party. Once everyone meet up at the dark alley, the party starts its journey to the city gates. The street was nearly empty and Bernard worries that his party would attract attention. To make his group less suspicious, Bernard splits his party into two groups and they would head out through two different gates. He, Dakon and Miksa would form one group and continue their trek to the nearest gate. Few people were leaving the city which meant Bernard's group didn't have to wait in line. They come towards the guards and Bernard walks in front to answer any questions.

Guard 1: Well, it's awfully late to leave. You aren't trying to escape a crime, are you?
Bernard: My good man, you are looking at a law abiding citizen. I have nothing to hide.
Guard 1: What do you have on the cart?
Bernard: Oh, that? We have a blacksmith here trying to open another store in the next city. We are merely bringing with us some samples.
Guard 1: Really? Let's see!

Bernard unveils the cover slightly and takes out a sword. The guard grabs the sword and marvels at the wonderful craftsmanship.

Bernard: How about this? We'll give you this sword as a gift. You can spread the news of the wonderful craftsmanship of our blacksmith here.
Guard 1: Now you are talking. You may go through.
Guard 2: Wait, how about me?
Guard 1: Why don't you shut it?

Bernard and his group hurry out the gate while the guards argue and wait at their meeting place. Few minutes later, the other half of their party join them.

Bernard: What took you so long?
Antonio: David was busy trying to get the attention of a gal we saw along the way. It took all three of us to drag him to the gate.
Damian: Yes, he made an ox look weak. We definitely got a workout from that.
Bruno: Please keep David in your group next time, Bernard. We might not see you next time if we are stuck with him again.
David: What is this? I absolutely did nothing. I don't know what you guys are talking about.
Bernard: Now that we are all here, let's travel a bit while the moon still light our path. We will set up camp in a few hours.
Dakon: David, you pull the cart.
David: Why me?
Dakon: Would you prefer scouting ahead?

A wolf howls in the distance.

David: Ah, excellent suggestion. I could work on my muscles. I think the ladies will be more interested in me then.
Bernard: Looks like we have two dreamers here.
Miksa: Don't put me in the same group as him.
Bernard: Oh, did I say that out loud?
Miksa: You are losing your touch.
Bernard: Enough talk! Let's move out.

Last edited:
Section II

Chapter 32 (part 1)

[February 29, 1356]

(Hungary-Transylvania Border)

The group moves quickly under the cover of bushes into Transylvania territory. Suddenly, Bernard signals everyone to stop and get on their knees. Listening carefully, Bernard realizes that some soldiers are heading their way. From the snippets of conversation he can hear, he knows the soldiers are going on a bathroom break. Not taking the chance of discovery, Bernard pulls out his dagger and points to Dakon to follow him. The two of them, with their daggers in their hands, move swiftly to where the soldiers are at. The soldiers, too preoccupied with their conversation, fail to notice the approach of the two men until it was too late. Once the duo are close enough, Bernard counts four soldiers. He and Dakon waited a few more seconds before they pounce. Two soldiers fell to the ground almost instantly and the other two soldiers soon followed suit. Bernard and Dakon unsheathe their daggers and pull the corpses under a tree and conceal them with branches and leaves. Once they are sure they done a good enough job, they move quickly back to meet up with the group and continue their journey.

(Outskirts of Turda, Transylvania)

Ferdinand's party got on the move before the sun has risen. They have made good progress in the forest and, by noon, they have arrived at the walls of Turda.

Ferdinand: How will we get in? I wouldn't be surprised if they kept the gate shut all day with the battles going on.
Cato: There's a way in. We will go through the sewers.
Andra: You are kidding, right?
Cato: Don't worry. No one has used the sewer for a long time. Other than being a tight fit, you won't find it that bad. That how I got inside last time.
Andra: I hope the sewer remained unused since you came last time.

Cato leads the group silently along the wall until they arrive at the sewer grate. After lifting the sewer grate, he lets Richard lead the way and gets in last. The group make their way through the sewer slowly and painfully. By the time they reach the other side, they have sore muscles all over and stretched a bit before keep moving. Unlike last time, no soldiers waited at the exit. The street was actually deserted which surprised the party.

Ferdinand: Can someone explain why it's deserted here?
Cato: I have no idea. I would think people still moved around during the war. After all, they will need to eat.
Andra: I think they stored enough food to last awhile. If every inhabitant stayed indoors much of the day, then the spies won't be able to move around so freely.
Ferdinand: In other words, we are stuck here or we risk capture and be branded as spies.
Andra: Pretty much.
Cato: I didn't see this coming.
Richard: Neither did I. What are you thinking, Marcus?

Marcus raises his hand to silence the party. A man riding on horseback, followed by a group of soldiers, comes down the street. Cato takes a careful look and realizes that the man is General Lezeu. After weighing the pros and cons, Cato signals everyone to stay put before walking onto the street to greet Lezeu. The soldiers, seeing a man walking before their general, immediately surrounds him with their weapons drawn. Lezeu, after overcoming his initial surprise, recognizes Cato.

Lezeu: Dominic! What a pleasant surprise! I didn't think you would be returning so soon. Guards! Back off! This is my guest.
Cato: I'm thrilled that you still remember me. I came back because I have an errand I must run for a friend. I need the assistance of the old man.
Lezeu: Old man?
Cato: He never told me his title or name.
Lezeu: I should've known. That old geezer always forget his manners. I believe you also have others with you?
Cato: No, I'm alone.
Lezeu: Don't trust me, do you?
Cato: I prefer not to take chances.
Lezeu: Good, a cautious man usually stays alive longer. I will take you to the old man. You can then come and pick up your friends, wherever they are.
Cato: Thank you!
Lezeu: Follow me then. The streets are empty which should make our journey to the old man's manor that much quicker.

Cato follows Lezeu and leaves his friends behind. Once they are out of earshot, Andra shakes Marcus for answers.

Andra: Why did he go? We don't even know if we can trust this officer.
Marcus: He weighed the pros and cons before making his decision. I'm sure he knows the risk.
Andra: Couldn't we just wait until everyone leave their home?
Marcus: We don't know when that's going to happen. We are low on supplies and couldn't get any. Cato knows that we are racing against time and this was an opportunity for him. We can only pray he will be fine.
Andra: I still don't like the fact he did it without my permission.
Marcus: He knows you will say no. Plus, he made up his mind already.
Andra: I hope he will be alright.
Richard: He will be alright, Andra. He has done well so far and I have a feeling lady luck still watches over him. At least, for now.

The party decides to lay low until nighttime. They all hope Cato could return to pick them up before then.

Last edited:
Section II

Chapter 32 (part 2)

[February 29, 1356]

(Turda, Transylvania)

Cato followed Lezeu down the empty streets not saying a single word. Lezeu, knowing his guest is nervous, decides not to push Cato. The group moved silently through the streets until they arrive before the old man's manor. Lezeu gets off his horse and, after excusing his guards, make his way through the main gates with Cato. The guards at the gate, seeing Lezeu, opened the gates without questions and the duo made their way to the front door. A servant opens the door and greets the two men.

Servant: General! What a surprise to see you here? I expected you to arrive tomorrow. Wait. Dominic? Is that you?
Cato: It is me.
Servant: Now I see why you are here, general. My master will be thrilled to see you again, Dominic. Please come in!
Lezeu: Aren't you going to welcome me in?
Servant: I'll welcome you in tomorrow. No, just kidding. Please, General.

The duo entered the manor and follow the servant down the hall. The servant knocks on the door leading to the old man's study.

Old man: What is it? This better be important!
Servant: Master, young Dominic is here.
Old man: Dominic? Well, what are you waiting for? Let him in!
Servant: The general is here as well.
Old man: Let him wait in the hallway!
Lezeu: Just let me in, old man!
Old man: Who are you calling an old man?
Lezeu: Let me come in and I'll explain.
Old man: Alright, let both of them in.

The servant opens the door to let the duo in before closing the door behind them. The old man stands up and walks toward Cato.

Old man: Dominic, I didn't expect you to come back so soon. I must thank you for what you have done. You are a hero to Transylvania.
Lezeu: Before we get to business, I think you should introduce yourself to him.
Old man: I haven't?
Lezeu: Apparently not. That's why I called you old man.
Old man: Oh dear, I must be getting old. You may call me Arnaud, Dominic. I believe Lezeu says you have business with me?
Cato: Yes, I'm here to ask for your assistance.
Arnaud: My assistance? Ask away. I'll see what I can do.
Cato: I have a friend whose brother stumbled upon a treasure.
Arnaud: A treasure, you say.
Cato: We have reason to believe that the treasure once belonged to the Knights Templar.
Arnaud: Knights Templar?

Arnaud stares at Lezeu with a wary eye.

Cato: Is something wrong?
Arnaud: I can only tell you that it's a myth. The Templar is a made up group. They are nothing but a myth.
Cato: They aren't. I have proof here.

Cato hands over the necklace Alfred gave to him. Arnaud takes a careful look at the necklace before handing it back.

Arnaud: I'm afraid I'm not familiar with this language. I'm curious about one thing though. Why do you seek this treasure?
Cato: There is a group of men after this treasure. They are killing anyone that they suspect knows about the treasure. We want to stop them.
Arnaud: A noble goal indeed. What will happen once you find the treasure and deal with these killers.
Cato: I'm not sure. I already live a content life. The extra wealth wouldn't make my life any easier. If I had a choice, I would give it to the Transylvania government. It is, after all, in their territory.
Arnaud: How about your friends?
Cato: I cannot say for them. However, I feel they would agree with me on this one.
Arnaud: If there is such an incredible treasure, I wish to find it before other people. I'm willing to give you a hand.
Cato: Thank you so much! I was worried about you refusing.
Arnaud: Why would I refuse? You have done so much for our nation. This is just paying back a bit of our debt.
Cato: Thank you! I wish to get my friends now. General, will you be able to spare men to escort me there?
Arnuad: No need, I wish to go with you. Your friends are brave to take on this dangerous missions. I wish to meet them. Some exercise wouldn't hurt either.

The trio make their way to the door. While Cato and Lezeu head for the front door, Arnaud meets with his servant to gather his own men.

Last edited:
Section II

Chapter 32 (part 3)

[February 29, 1356]

(Turda, Transylvania)

Cato leads Arnaud, Lezeu and their men to the exit of the sewer he and his friends arrived by. When they reach there, he calls out to them.

Cato: Everyone! The noble and the general is willing to aid us in this quest. You can come out now.

Marcus is the first to leave the shadows and everyone else follow them. When Andra steps out, Arnaud takes a few steps forward.

Arnaud: Andra, is that you?

Andra looks at the noble with confusion.

Arnaud: I shouldn't be surprised you don't remember me anymore. After all, you were a mere child when we first met. Do you still not remember me?

Andra shakes her head as she looks at Cato for answers.

Arnaud: I'm uncle Arnaud.
Andra: Wait? The uncle that was my father's best friend?
Arnaud: Yes, that was me.
Andra: Were you the same uncle that lost the challenge for my mother's hand.
Arnaud: Yes, that too. Though, I prefer to keep that a secret.
Andra: Uncle!

Andra moves forward to embrace her uncle.

Andra: It's been too long, uncle.
Arnaud: It has been too long, child. How's your father?
Andra: He died in the conflict. He fought soldiers to protect me.
Arnaud: Died like a true warrior, I see. He also wanted to die like that. So, who's taking care of you now?
Andra: Dominic here is. He's my fiancee. We haven't got the time to get married yet.
Arnaud: Ah, excellent choice. I knew Dominic was a special the moment I laid eyes on him. He will be an excellent husband. Right, Dominic?

Arnaud turns around to look at Cato is blushing and looking elsewhere.

Andra: Uncle, stop that! It's not nice to tease him like that.
Arnaud: Protective of him, aren't you? Oh dear, where are my manners? We need to get all of you to my manor to rest up. We have a treasure to find!

Arnaud escorts Andra to one of the horses where Andra gets on. Arnaud chooses to walk with Cato as the entire group make their way back to Arnaud's manor.

Arnaud: Dominic, Andra is a very special woman. Take good care of her.
Cato: I will protect her with my life.
Arnaud: You better mean it.
Cato: I do.
Arnaud: I think all of you should rest up tonight. We will all have a nice meal and head to bed early. The battles with the rebels have ended yesterday and the gates will open tomorrow. I will select a few elite trackers to help you on your journey.
Ferdinand: Thank you so much!

Arnaud looks behind him to see a man. He lets Ferdinand walk beside him before resuming his conversation.

Arnaud: It's nothing. Tell me, why are you here?
Ferdinand: My brother and his wife were killed by the group going after the treasure.
Arnaud: Are you out for revenge?
Ferdinand: I would be lying if I said I'm not. However, I also want to stop this group. Imagine what harm they may do to others when they acquire wealth.
Arnaud: Indeed, wealth in the wrong hands will result in deaths at unimaginable scale. I will agree with you there.
Ferdinand: Once this is over, I might settle down. I feel I have experienced too much in my life. I might just find a wife.
Arnaud: Good call! When a man is old, he needs a mate to keep him company. Look at me. I'm a lonely bag of bones.
Ferdinand: You don't look that old.
Arnaud: No need to sweet talk me. I know what I have become. I envy Dominic with his youth.
Ferdinand: I envy him too. When I was his age, I worried about nothing. I had the most carefree life ever.
Arnaud: You and me alike. Talking like this makes us real old, doesn't it?
Ferdinand: I count that a blessing. Not too many people reach our age.
Arnaud: That's right! I'm taking a liking of you. If I had a daughter, I would marry her off to you right now.
Ferdinand: I assume you only have sons?
Arnaud: No, I gave up on marriage when I lost the love of my life to my best friend.
Ferdinand: You didn't give any other girl a second chance?
Arnaud: No, I didn't give myself a second chance. I do regret it now. It's another thing added to my long list of regrets.
Ferdinand: The old you get, the more regrets you get. It's a wonder you haven't gone crazy.
Arnaud: I know what you mean. Take this as an advice. Once this is over, find a nice girl and settle down for a peaceful life.
Ferdinand: I better do it soon before my hair turns grey.
Arnaud: That's the spirit!

Arnaud and Ferdinand realize that they are really far behind the group. Lezeu notices and calls back.

Lezeu: Hurry up, old men! We don't have all day for you to admire the streets.
Arnaud: Say that in my face!
Lezeu: Oh dear! The old man is angry. Everyone, run!

The group starts running forward leaving Arnaud and Ferdinand behind.

Arnaud: You don't mind walking with an old man, do you?
Ferdinand: It's a nice day out. I don't mind enjoying the son. Let those youngsters release their energy. They probably haven't had this much fun for quite awhile. The world is a gloomy place.
Arnaud: Indeed, we lived long enough to see everything.
Ferdinand: Have you ever thought about death?
Arnaud: I have but I can't die yet.
Ferdinand: Why?
Arnaud: There is still one more task left for me. I won't kick the bucket until I get it done.
Ferdinand: I'm assuming that you still plenty of years ahead of you then.
Arnaud: From the looks of things, I'd say I only have at most a few months left.
Ferdinand: Don't say that!
Arnaud: God has shown me signs that my time here is almost up. When you reach my age, you will know when your time is up as well.
Ferdinand: I'll keep that in mind if I live long enough.
Arnaud: Something tells me that you will. See there?

Arnaud points at a church in the distance.

Ferdinand: Yes.
Arnaud: I hope that my final hours would be there. I can say my last words before the Lord.
Ferdinand: Sounds good.
Arnaud: Live strong! Try to have less regrets as you go forward.
Ferdinand: I'll try my best.

Lezeu rides back to meet the two men.

Lezeu: They have already arrived at your manor. They just lack the host.
Arnaud: I must be getting old. Forgetting my manners left and right. Get off!
Lezeu: What?
Arnaud: I said get off. I need to get back now and I need this horse.
Lezeu: You're kidding, right?

Without warning, Arnaud pulls Lezeu off and gets on the horse before galloping down the street to his manor.

Ferdinand: I think that's his response to you calling him an old man.
Lezeu: I got that coming, didn't I?
Ferdinand: You sure did. Name's Ferdinand.
Lezeu: Lezeu.

The two shake hands and make their way to the manor.

Last edited:
Section II

Chapter 32 (part 4)

[February 29, 1356]

(Hungary-Transylvania Border)

Bernard leads his party through the forest with swiftness and silence. Except for the killing of the four soldiers, they have managed to evade detection and was only half a day away from Turda. It was just before midnight and Bernard knows his men needed rest. After quick scouting, they found a cave where they could catch a few hours of sleep. A small fire was made to cook the food and it was put out when everybody headed for bed. Bernard, unable to sleep, decides to be the lookout at the cave entrance. An hour later, Dakon joins him at the entrance.

Bernard: I can still stand guard here. You should go back to sleep.
Dakon: I, like you, cannot sleep.
Bernard: What's on your mind?
Dakon: I've been thinking about this mission. I have no choice but to succeed.
Bernard: We have a lot at stake here, don't we?
Dakon: I only wish we can finish tomorrow so I can head home.
Bernard: You miss her, don't you?
Dakon: Not having her by my side hurts more than any wound my enemies have given me.
Bernard: I know that feeling all too well.
Dakon: You had a love of your life?
Bernard: I have. She was the most gorgeous woman you can imagine. I was fortunate that she took a liking to me as well.
Dakon: I'm assuming it didn't go well.
Bernard: No, it didn't. Her family opposed our marriage. They were willing to do anything to separate us. Even bloodshed.
Dakon: You survived, it would appear.
Bernard: Oh no, they never intended on focusing on me. They went after my family. My parents, siblings and all those related to me were rounded up in a house where they were burnt alive.
Dakon: Disgusting monsters!
Bernard: That's why I came on this mission. Once I have wealth, I can exact my revenge. They may say revenge destroys a man. When you lost everything already, I don't see how revenge could do any worse.
Dakon: I concur.
Bernard: What's your story? I heard it involved a girl.
Dakon: I found a woman I promised to marry. There were complications and I'm here.
Bernard: Care to elaborate?
Dakon: Her family tried to solve their debt problems by selling her to a cruel man. She became a property of that man and I needed wealth to free her.
Bernard: It must be a huge sum if you couldn't earn enough from your well paid profession.
Dakon: Yes, it was a ridiculous price. I love her and I'm willing to move heaven and earth to free her.
Bernard: Compared to me, you have a pretty noble goal.
Dakon: Don't bother with the compliments. We both lived long enough to see only cruelness and selfishness in our world. We are no more noble than petty thieves.
Miksa: You got that right!

The two men see Miksa coming out from the shadows.

Bernard: Can't sleep?
Miksa: No. Heard you two chatting and decided to join you guys.
Dakon: What's your story?
Miska: Story?
Dakon: Why are you here?
Miksa: Ah, that's simple. I came along to repay my debts.
Dakon: Debts?
Miksa: Bernard saved my life twice. I don't forget easily.
Bernard: I told him it was nothing. He still intended to come with me.
Dakon: You don't have a family to go back to?
Miksa: No, it's funny. Bernard is the brother I never had. Other than him, I have nobody else.
Bernard: He hasn't been too successful with women, as you can see.
Miksa: They never fall for the honest working men.
Dakon: You are definitely hard working. As for honesty, I'd say that's questionable.
Bernard: I concur.
Miksa: Let's get to the more serious business. What are we going to do tomorrow?
Bernard: From what I gathered, the battle here has ended and everything should return to normal tomorrow.
Dakon: Is there reason to believe that they would begin their search tomorrow then?
Bernard: Assuming they have entered Turda in one piece, I would say they will definitely do so.
Miksa: Why do we need them to uncover the location for us? We have enough brains here to figure it out.
Bernard: I just don't want to attract attention. A party of foreigners bring unwanted attention.
Dakon: Do we kill them the moment they found the treasure?
Bernard: Our employer says he would deal with it. After all, he is amongst them.
Miksa: Those fools won't know what hit them.
Dakon: I'm surprised our employer could avoid detection.
Bernard: Let me say this. Our employer is a mastermind you don't want to antagonize. I've met him once and I've never been so scared.
Dakon: Does he look like a monster?
Bernard: That's the most horrifying part. He looks no different from you and me. Yet, he has the capabilities to bring down nations if he wishes to do so.
Dakon: Once I get my ducats, I will be on my way.
Miksa: Yes, sticking around doesn't seem like a good idea to me either.
Bernard: There's only a few more hours before the sun rises.
Dakon: I guess we should get ready. The big day could be here tomorrow.
Miksa: You know, you just might be right about that.

Last edited:
Section II

Chapter 33 (part 1)

[March 1, 1356]

(Buda, Hungary)

Laura is the first one through the gates. She is thrilled to return to the Hungarian capital where she was born. Her brother, Attila, hurries over to catch up.

Attila: Wait up! You can such a child sometimes.
Laura: Lighten up, will you? It's nice to return back to here after so long.
Attila: You got a point. Still, I would rather head to the palace first. We have some business to attend to.
Laura: Alright, I'll go shopping afterwards. I have a feeling there will be many items I need now that I returned.
Attila: Women!
Laura: What did you say?
Attila: I said I won't be coming with you.
Laura: Good! I don't want you with me anyways.

The two of them look behind them to see the rest of their party walking steadily into the city. Alwin is bewildered by the city itself as he tries to look at everything at once. Lucas taps him on the shoulder.

Lucas: Alwin, you need to calm down. Your eyeballs look like they will come out soon.
Alwin: It's incredible. The city I was raised in doesn't even come close.
Lucas: Well, I'm not surprised. This city is quite old and has a lot of history. We can go sightseeing later. We still need to meet the king, remember?
Alwin: I won't forget. I've been through too much to give up now.
Lucas: That's the spirit. Let's catch up with Laura and Attila.

They, along with the other members, catch up with Laura and Attila. The party travel along the main road until they see themselves before the gatehouse leading into the palace. Attila was about to approach the guards when a man hits him over the head. Attila turns around.

Attila: What's that for?
Augustyn: Some people never change.
Laura: Augustyn!

Augustyn turns around to see Laura approaching him.

Augustyn: How have you been, Laura? I must say you look as beautiful as ever.

Attila shoves Augustyn away.

Attila: Stay away from my sister! I see you haven't changed either. How many innocent girls have you harmed thus far?
Augustyn: Don't worry! I'm getting married soon. Your sister is safe from me.
Laura: Who is this lucky lady?
Attila: I think you mean who is the unlucky lady.
Augustyn: You'll meet her soon enough. I will introduce you all when I get the chance. Seeing that you two are back, I take it that you two are the only survivors?
Attila: Yes, we still don't know who is behind this.
Augustyn: I do.
Laura, Attila: Who?
Augustyn: Some Austrian nobles. Your family apparently got hold of some important documents.
Laura: I always knew that box was trouble.
Attila: Do you have the documents then?
Augustyn: I'm afraid those documents are gone now. Your enemies have them and I assume that they have destroyed it already.
Attila: I guess that's good. We no longer will be targeted after this group. We need a place to stay now.
Augustyn: We have plenty of rooms in the palace. You two can join us, if you want.
Attila: Before we settle down, we have a guest here from Pommerania. He is Alwin.
Augustyn: Now that is far! Welcome! I am Augustyn.

The two men greeted each other before Augustyn lead them through the gatehouse.

Augustyn: I assume that Alwin would wish to see the king immediately?
Alwin: Yes, I have some urgent business to speak with your king.
Augustyn: You are fortunate that he is available right now. Attila and Laura, are you going with him?
Attila: We will stay out of it. We have no business here.
Augustyn: How about this man here?

Attila looks behind him and sees him pointing to Lucas.

Attila: Him? He is a mere peddler trying to start a new life here.
Lucas: A peddler?
Laura: Brother, that isn't nice. This man is Lucas and he joined our group for some reason.
Attila: Yes, I'm wondering why he joined us as well. You haven't taken fancy of my sister, have you?
Lucas: Well, it's funny that you would mention it. You see, ...
Augustyn: I think we can talk later. The king isn't available for long and I better get Alwin to the king.
Attila: Don't worry about us! I'll find our rooms.
Laura: I'll keep him out of trouble.
Lucas: I'll just tag along with them.

Augustyn takes Alwin to the king's study while everyone else stand in the courtyard. Attila orders the other men to take their horses to the stable while he checks their belongings. He starts making his way to the palace gates when he notices that neither Laura nor Lucas is following him.

Attila: What's wrong?
Laura: I'll go to the marketplace now.
Lucas: I'll go with her.

Attila comes over to Lucas and grabs him by the hair.

Attila: Lucas, you are coming with me. I won't let you spend quality time with my sister until I know you're worth the trouble.
Lucas: Wait! I ...

Attila would hear none of it as he tows Lucas with him. Lucas, knowing her brother's temper, decides to leave the gatehouse and head for the marketplace. The city hasn't changed much since Laura was last in Buda. Therefore, she found the marketplace with ease and, like a child, eager goes from stalls to stalls looking at the items. She comes across a stall where many beautiful cloths were displayed.

Laura: These are all beautiful!

A young woman comes over to her customer.

Sophie: Thank you! Welcome to our stall. We import the best cloths from Venice.
Laura: I'm never seen such beautiful fabric. These must be really expensive.
Sophie: Not really! What's your favorite color? I could probably find one you would like.
Laura: The problem is I like them all!
Pebbles: Meow!

Laura looks to her right to see a cat.

Laura: Nice to meet you!
Pebbles: Meow! :)
Sophie: That's Pebbles.
Laura: She's so cute!
Sophie: Meow! :blush:

A man comes out of the stall.

Francisco: I need to talk with some traders. Are you fine by yourself, Sophie?
Sophie: I'll be fine, father.

Francisco leaves the two ladies and a cat at the stall.

Laura: Don't you hate it when fathers think their daughters haven't grown up?
Sophie: Of course, I get that all the time. Though, I don't blame him. I lost my mother and he's trying to fill in both roles.
Laura: I'm sorry to hear that.
Sophie: Where are my manners? Please come in and sit. There are more cloths inside. You can check them out if you want.
Laura: I'd love to.

The two women head inside and Sophie got a stool for her guest. Laura, amazed by the cloths that were inside, careful looks over each.

Sophie: I know that feeling. When my father first imported these, I was amazed as well.
Laura: Your stall must be really popular then.
Sophie: We haven't been open that long. However, the customers that did look at our cloths were very satisfied.
Laura: I'm just conflicted about what I should pick.
Sophie: What occasion are you wearing it for? Are you trying to get a man's attention?
Laura: I haven't been able to get in touch with the man I love. My life has gone out of control the last few months. I hope I can see him soon.
Sophie: He must be an amazing man.
Laura: To others, he might be a normal person. I knew, from the moment I've seen him, that he was meant for me.
Sophie: I know that feeling. I, too, had a man I loved at first sight. Things got crazy for me as well but we somehow got reunited. I know that you and your love will be reunited as well.
Laura: Thank you! I'll keep that in mind. I wish you two a long and happy marriage.
Sophie: Thank you!

The two women hears someone entering a stall and they turn towards the doorway where they see Augustyn.

Sophie: Augustyn! I didn't know you were coming so soon.
Augustyn: Laura. Why are you here?
Sophie: You know her?
Augustyn: Her brother is one of my best friends.
Laura: So Augustyn is your love?
Sophie: Yes, I'm surprised you two know each other already. What a small world.
Laura: Augustyn, weren't you with Alwin?
Augustyn: He wished to speak with the king alone. I decided to head here to help out my fiancee.
Laura: Well, it is a small world. I was just mystified by the cloth they sell.
Augustyn: These are the best cloths you can find here. Sophie's father is a good merchant.
Laura: I have to agree.
Sophie: Will you be staying at the palace?
Laura: Yes, I would.
Sophie: I haven't had many friends here. I hope you don't mind being my friend.
Laura: Of course I don't mind. Though, I will be warning you about a lot of things.
Sophie: Regarding what?
Laura: Augustyn isn't as perfect as you think.
Augustyn: Wait! You can't do this!
Laura: I can and I will. I won't let my friend marry you until she knows all your flaws. Don't worry, nobody is perfect. Right, Sophie?
Sophie: I'd like that. Augustyn, would you please look after our goods outside. We have some things we must talk about privately.
Augustyn: But ...

Laura and Sophie shove him out the doorway and close the door behind them.

Last edited:
Section II

Chapter 33 (part 2)

[March 1, 1356]

(Turda, Transylvania)

Ferdinand's party has left Turda early in the morning. Lezeu came along with eight veteran soldiers and two scouts. From the rough map drawn by Alfred, the group had a general area to work with. From what Alfred said, the treasure was found in a cave but more were likely behind a hidden entrance. The two scouts carefully coordinated their search and they found the cave before noon. One of the scouts entered the cave and exited with some gold pieces. The two scouts then reported back to Lezeu who suggested everyone to eat lunch first before proceeding forward. When they arrived at the cave entrance, they were able to confirm that they have found the location. The group then entered the cave in search of the entrance leading to the treasure. Unknown to anyone in the group, the party led by Bernard was waiting in the shadows. Bernard ordered his men to wait patiently until their employer give them the signal to go in. Bernard's party moved quickly through the forest and, with a general idea of the location, managed to arrive at the cave entrance first. They then set up a small camp nearby where they could still keep an eye on the entrance. Despite seeing Ferdinand's group walking into the cave, Bernard's party still remained where they were. Patiently waiting for their opportunity to strike.

Ferdinand's group entered the cave with care fearing traps that may trigger now that more people are treading inside. After a while, it became obvious that the cave wasn't filled with traps but the group still needed to find the secret entrance. Everyone pitched in as they pushed against the wall and every nook and cranny. An hour passed and it became obvious that they weren't looking at the right places. Andra, thirsty from the search, finds a small stream flowing into a small hole on the ground. Just as she was about to take a drink, she notices some symbols that resembled Old Hungarian. With curiosity, Andra reaches for it and pushes it. Suddenly, the cavern shook slightly before an opening appeared in the walls. Everyone looked at the entrance with surprise but no one dared to make a move towards it yet. Few moments later, one of the scouts crept close to the entrance to check for any traps. The seconds ticked by slowly but the scout eventually confirmed that the entrance wasn't booby trapped. Ferdinand's group made their way slowly down the stairs that led deep into the cavern and possibly the treasure. Few minutes later, the group arrived at the bottom of the stairs where they saw several doorways. Richard walked towards one and signaled everyone to get in.

Richard: I think I see something. Come on! I think the treasure is really close.

Ferdinand's group began making its way into the room when, suddenly, a stone door sealed them in.

Cato: Is everyone alright?
All except Richard: Yes!
Cato: Richard! Where are you?
Richard: I'm still outside.
Cato: Good, I was worried you were crushed.
Richard: I'm fine, Cato.
Cato: Who are you calling?
Richard: I'm calling you, Dominic. Or rather, your real name is Cato.
Cato: What sick game are you playing here?
Richard: Oh, I'm not playing a game. Your usefulness has come to an end. I am merely taking care of loose ends.
Cato: What do you mean by loose ends?
Richard: How naive can you get, Cato? I was never your friend. I was merely using you as a tool.
Cato: How much did they pay you to betray us?
Richard: Nothing. You see, I have known about this treasure all along. I merely needed some help to find it. You see, a bunch of foreigners searching around here could attract attention. Getting the general here to help was perfect.
Lezeu: You bastard! You won't get away with this.
Richard: I already have. None of you will escape this room. You will all starve to death. I wanted to be merciful and grant you all a quick death. However, I'm not taking chances with the soldiers the general brought with him.
Cato: When did you know this?
Richard: I knew this two years ago. I've been plotting with Martin on how to acquire the treasure without any attention.
Cato: You two worked together? I thought you hate him.
Richard: We were best friends once. He got too greedy and decided to kill me too. I managed to escape.
Cato: Then you found me.
Richard: It was rather ironic too. You see, I was the one to think up the plan to have your father and brother killed. I would've killed you too if Martin hadn't try to backstab me. Instead, I used you to get rid of him.
Cato: You killed my family? What have they done to you?
Richard: Your father got too nosy. He knew too much and could act like an obstacle for us. Clearing him out was necessary. As for you, you were gone so long that you didn't know who was an ally and who was an enemy of your father.
Cato: You also plotted the death of Martin, didn't you?
Richard: When I realized he was using this "war" to accomplish his goal, I vowed to stop him. It wasn't hard to convince you to help me in getting the king to eliminate him. He was quite powerful and I needed to get rid of him. You wouldn't kill him until you humiliated him enough to exact your revenge. So, I was forced to use this plan. If you killed him and you died in the process, things would have been so much easier for me.
Cato: Why did you kill Alfred and his friends then?
Richard: I don't want anyone else to know about this treasure. The fewer people that know it, the better.
Cato: Knowing the new you, I wouldn't be surprised if you hire men to kill the mercenaries you hired for this treasure hunt.
Richard: You have grown wiser since I first saw you. It's a shame that you won't be working for me. Otherwise, you would be an excellent successor.
Cato: I refuse to become a monster like you.
Richard: Monsters and humans aren't that different. The only difference is that humans look less dangerous when they are equally, if not more, dangerous. Let that be your final lesson, Cato. I guess this will be farewell. I know that we won't meet again in the afterlife. Farewell!
Cato: Richard. Richard! Come back here!

Cato continued to shout but he knew it was hopeless. Richard has already walked back up the stairs leaving them to die in the room. Cato punched the ground as he hated himself for being deceived. Suddenly, he felt someone place a hand on his shoulder. He saw Lezeu looking down on him with a smile.

Lezeu: Don't be so hard on yourself. I hate myself for being deceived so easily as well, Dominic. Or should I call you Cato then?
Cato: Cato is fine. I just cannot believe that he managed to get this far. I wish I could have seen him for who he truly is.
Lezeu: Let's not worry about that. Do you have a plan if we can get out?
Cato: Richard and his mercenaries are all skilled at killing. If we can get out, we must use the element of surprise to get a jump on them. We cannot take chances. We must kill them without hesitation. Of course, we need to get out first.
Lezeu: I know how.
Cato: How?
Lezeu: There are some things Arnaud and I hid from you as well. Maybe Andra can fill you in.

Cato turned to Andra who had a look of confusion.

Lezeu: Did your father never tell you?
Andra: Tell me what?
Lezeu: I see. He kept the secret within himself till his last breath.
Andra: What secret did my father hid from me?
Lezeu: Your father was a part of the Knight Templar. He was one of the last surviving Guardians.
Andra: Guardians?
Lezeu: The treasure you are all seeking belonged to the Knight Templar. When the members of the order were persecuted, the few survivors here managed to hide the treasure and hoped it will be hidden until it's needed.
Cato: How do you know so much, general?
Lezeu: My father was a Guardian as well. When he passed away, I took over. As a Guardian, I have obligation to protect the treasure from those who wish harm on the world.
Cato: People like Richard.
Lezeu: Yes, the eight soldiers I brought with me are all Guardians. We would rather perish than allow people like Richard get the treasure.
Cato: So you know how to escape?
Lezeu: Yes, there is a secret passageway at the rear.
Cato: How did you know?
Lezeu: You see those?

Lezeu pointed at the engravings on the ceiling.

Lezeu: Those engravings tell me that there is another way out. We will need to find the switch to open the passageway. We will then strike.

Just as Lezeu finished talking, one of the soldiers pushed a switch and the doorway to the passageway opened.

Lezeu: I will tell you all the story of the Knight Templar once we get out. We must first stop Richard and his men before they get any of the treasure out.

Lezeu ran into the passageway with his soldiers following him. The rest of the group followed suit as they ran down the dark passageway towards the unknown.

Last edited:
Section II

Chapter 33 (part 3)

[March 1, 1356]

(Nicomedia, Ottomans)

The captain and his party arrived in Nicomedia after their long trip from the fishing village. Christopher was amazed to see a foreign city as large as Nicomedia. Christopher left Italy at a very young age and spent most of his life in Azow. Seeing Nicomedia had Christopher stunned and, if it weren't for a small push from Emmanuel, he probably would stand there gawking at the city. The party made its way down the main streets past the many merchants trying to sell their wares. Christopher tried his best looking left and right while keeping up with the party but gave up after the first few stalls. The captain led them to a modest looking sector where many children were playing on the streets. At the sight of a foreign child, the children stopped playing and watched Christopher warily. Christopher sensed that the children hated him but he wasn't sure why. They have never met each other in the past but these children treated him like an enemy. As he was thinking about all that, Christopher collided with Arzu when the party suddenly stopped. Rubbing his nose, Christopher sneaked a peak around Arzu and saw themselves standing before a fairly large compound. Just as Christopher was going to get a better look at the doorway, he heard the captain running down the street. He looked down the street and saw the captain stopping before a beautiful woman. Holding the woman's hand was a little girl. It took a few seconds before Christopher realized that the little girl was his sister. Christopher ran towards his sister and was shouting.

Christopher: Susan!

The little girl, upon hearing her name, looked up the street. With laughter, she ran towards Christopher before the woman could grab her hand. The siblings were reunited as they embraced in the street.

Christopher: I thought I won't ever see you again, Susan.
Susan: Me too, I was so scared. If it weren't for that woman, I probably would be dead now.
Christopher: I'm so glad you are safe. I don't know what I'll do if you weren't
Susan: The woman said Allah will give me blessing if I pray. It came true!
Christopher: Me too, I was told Allah can grant these kind of miracle. I'm surprised that you are no longer ill.
Susan: When I was rescued, I was taken to the woman's home. The woman's name is Ese. She had nasty tasting medicine that cured me.
Christopher: I don't know how to thank her.
Susan: Don't cry, big brother. We are together again. We won't ever be separated.
Christopher: These are tears of joy, silly.
Susan: Don't call me silly in front of everyone!
Christopher: Sorry.

Emmanuel approached the two children slowly and knelt down behind Christopher.

Emmanuel: Is this your sister?
Christopher: Yes, Allah answered my prayer just as you said.
Emmanuel: I am happy. Let me explain to those two old folks there. They are probably still confused with the scene.

Emmanuel got up and walked towards Ese and the captain.

Emmanuel: Hello. I am Emmanuel. I wish to thank you for reuniting the brother with his sister.
Captain: Out of all the coincidences, I didn't see this coming.
Ese: You don't need to thank me. I have merely saved the girl from death. It was Allah's design to reunite them.
Emmanuel: The boy doesn't know how to thank you.
Ese: Tell him that no thanks are needed. The child was wonderful company for me. She was shy but clearly intelligent. I see a bright future for her.
Captain: I was just surprised when she began running.
Ese: I was as well. I thought she got scared and began running.
Emmanuel: Excuse me but is this woman the one you are seeking, captain?
Ese: Captain? I should've known you would never mention your name to others.
Captain: Yes, she is the love I abandoned. I still regret that day.
Emmanuel: Kind woman, I hope you would forgive the captain for his foolish decision on that day.
Ese: I never bore ill will towards him. I knew he was doing it for our nation. That's why I waited all these years.
Captain: You mean you haven't married off when I was gone?
Ese: No, I decided to wait for you. When you never came back, I assumed the worst. I became a healer to help those in need.
Captain: I was a fool. I should have returned to check on you. Then you wouldn't be so stubborn and waited for me.
Ese: You are the love of my life. There's no one that can replace you. I was willing to wait until I died and I still won't have regretted my decision.
Captain: Oh, Ese. I do love you so much. Will you marry me now? I don't have much but I want to spend the rest of my life with you.
Ese: I'd love that.
Emmanuel: Excuse me as I get the children out of your way.

Emmanuel quickly backed away and guided the children over to where Arzu was standing. Ese and the captain looked at him with interest.

Ese: Is he your friend?
Captain: Yes, he is a reliable friend. He might be European but he has taught me to not judge a person by their looks.
Ese: I still cannot believe this day has come.
Captain: I didn't think so either. I was expecting you to be married and have a few dozen kids.
Ese: A few dozen? You must be crazy.
Captain: Being separated from you for so long does that to me.

Ese pecked the captain lightly on the cheek as the two walk towards Emmanuel. Meanwhile, Arzu was chatting with Emmanuel.

Arzu: That's the love of his life? Wow, I must say the captain has taste.
Emmanuel: Don't speak such things in front of children.
Arzu: It's not like they understand.
Emmanuel: Say one more word and I'll make sure you'll be limping home.
Arzu: Alright, I'll stop. There's no need to be so jumpy. I'm just happy for our captain, that's all.
Emmanuel: Just leave it at that.

The captain walks towards Emmanuel and Arzu.

Captain: I should thank you two for giving me the courage to come back. For that, I'm in debt of you two.
Arzu: Excellent, I was thinking of a small reward. I'm thinking ...

Emmanuel kicked Arzu before pulling him away.

Emmanuel: Please excuse us. I think a proper lesson is needed with this man.
Arzu: Wait! I was joking. Don't leave me alone with this man. Please!

Emmanuel pulled Arzu around the corner and, seeing no one was watching, gave Arzu a small beating. Arzu did scream a few times from pain but he decided it was a good idea to not fight back. Christopher and Susan, curious by the screams, turned around the corner which forced Emmanuel to stop.

Christopher: What are you doing?
Emmanuel: Just giving him a stern talking.
Susan: Why does he have some bruises?
Emmanuel: He fell and hurt himself.
Susan: What a silly old man.

Emmanuel translated Susan's words for Arzu who clearly wasn't too happy. As they followed Ese and the captain in the compound, Arzu stopped Emmanuel.

Arzu: Did she actually call me an old man?
Emmanuel: Yes.
Arzu: You're just lying to annoy me.
Emmanuel: She called you a silly old man. Get use to it. You are definitely acting like one. Now I know why your wife kicked you out.
Arzu: That's harsh, even from you. What do you think will happen?
Emmanuel: If I had to guess, the captain and the woman will get married. The children will stay with them. Us two will head back to the village. Everyone will live happily ever after.
Arzu: You're probably right up until the last part.
Emmanuel: Happily ever after?
Arzu: I still don't think my wife will make my life easier.
Emmanuel: Alright, everyone except Arzu will live happily ever after.
Arzu: That's better! Let's go. I'm starved.
Emmanuel: Pig!
Arzu: Say what you want. I intend on going back on a full stomach.

Arzu ran after everyone else while Emmanuel stopped where he was standing. He looked up at the sky and thanked Allah for his many blessings that were seen this day.

Last edited: