• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Section II

Chapter 25 (part 3)

[February 22, 1356]

(Kaposvár, Hungary)

Ferdinand is opening his stall when the priest arrives in front of his stall.

Ferdinand: Father! What a pleasant surprise to see you! Do you have news from the bishop?
Priest: May I come in? I wish to talk inside.
Ferdinand: Of course!

Ferdinand clears a pathway so the priest can get into the back. After the priest sits down, Ferdinand follows suit and listens.

Priest: I'm afraid the bishop has encountered an accident. However, I would say that the accident is suspicious.
Ferdinand: Suspicious?
Priest: There might have been people that killed him.
Ferdinand: I don't like where this is going.
Priest: I think it's best that you leave here. I fear there might be people coming after you.
Ferdinand: Father, how about you?
Priest: My place is here. If I must die, I wish to be buried here.
Ferdinand: I don't know if I should leave either. I got you into this mess.
Priest: You still have many years ahead of you. Trust me and pack up. Before I leave, I want to give you this.

The priest takes out a bag and hands it to Ferdinand. Ferdinand opens the bag to find a surprising amount of ducats.

Ferdinand: I cannot take this! You need it for the children.
Priest: Don't worry about the children. As soon as I heard about the death of the bishop, I asked a good friend of mine. He is a priest in a nearby town and he is willing to take the children. I have given him most of the ducats I had. This is a small amount that was given to me by Laura.
Ferdinand: Laura ...
Priest: I know that she encountered an unfortunate end. However, I know that she doesn't want you to die too early either.
Ferdinand: Alright, I'll take it. Where should I go?
Priest: I'd say the Hungarian capital would be a good place. You would be hard to find there. It's a large city and you can have a new start. I wish you luck.

The priest walks out of the stall with Ferdinand still pondering on his future. A few minutes later, he hears a scream out on the streets. He runs onto the street to see a crowd gathering outside an alleyway. Ferdinand pushes his way through to see the priest with a dagger through the heart. Seeing that danger is so close, he decides to pack his few possessions and head to Buda. The packing proves to be very quick and he starts running down the street towards the city gates. As he approaches the city gates, he realizes that he is followed by three men. He knows that these three men killed the priest and they won't hesitate to kill him. Just as he wonders about his next few moves, a group of soldiers approach him. The captain grabs him.

Captain: You are coming with me!
Ferdinand: Captain, I didn't do anything.
Captain: Really? I believe I decide if that's true or not.
Ferdinand: I'm in a hurry.

Just then, Ferdinand hears some screams behind him. Turning around, Ferdinand sees some soldiers fighting the three men that were after him. One of those men is cut down by a soldier before the other two attempt to escape. While one is tripped up and captured by two soldiers, the other one gets through the soldiers and runs towards Ferdinand. Ferdinand can see the hate in the man's eyes and realizes that he is about to die. Suddenly, the captain stands between him and the man. The man tries to sidestep the captain so he can get a clear shot at Ferdinand. The captain takes out his sword without warning and beheads the man in an instant. Before the man's head drops to the ground, the captain turns around to face Ferdinand.

Captain: Come with me. I have some urgent matters to talk about. The matters involve you and the priest.

Last edited:
I read the first 2 (out of 7) pages thus far and I am enjoying. It feels much less like an AAR and much more of a mystery/suspense story. I am as new to EU3 (and 4) as you are to ck2, so this being a lot more story driven has helped me follow along more easily.

Also do not be discouraged by the lack of comments. I know that feel from time to time, and many that are reading are lurking (as I once did long ago)

However may I suggest starting a new narrative AAR with EUIV. It being the newest release from Paradox I am almost sure your readers will grow exponentially.

Keep up the good work.

I read the first 2 (out of 7) pages thus far and I am enjoying. It feels much less like an AAR and much more of a mystery/suspense story. I am as new to EU3 (and 4) as you are to ck2, so this being a lot more story driven has helped me follow along more easily.

Also do not be discouraged by the lack of comments. I know that feel from time to time, and many that are reading are lurking (as I once did long ago)

However may I suggest starting a new narrative AAR with EUIV. It being the newest release from Paradox I am almost sure your readers will grow exponentially.

Keep up the good work.

The purpose of this AAR is to tell a very long narrative. This game, with the mod, ends in 1930 which gives me a lot of room to write. I'm glad you are enjoying the AAR thus far but you haven't even gotten to the bulk of it yet :p. Things do get more interesting later on as I try new things. Feel free to ask about questions about EU 3 but it may be awhile before I get back to the story. As for lack of comments, I'm used to it now. I'm writing my AARs simply because I enjoy writing them. I don't have EU 4 which is why I cannot write an AAR there. Thank you and I hope you can visit whenever you can.

Section II

Chapter 25 (part 4)

[February 22, 1356]

(Kaposvár, Hungary)

The captain takes Ferdinand to the barracks where they are alone inside a small room. To Ferdinand, the room looks like an interrogation room and he is the prisoner. Before Ferdinand can open his mouth, the captain signals him to sit down.

Captain: Before we get started, let's start with some introduction. You won't need to know my name but I will tell you that I'm a friend of the priest.
Ferdinand: You knew him? Why didn't you prevent his death?
Captain: I tried to offer him protection but he refused them all. He said that God had determined his fate and he must be willing to face whatever is given to him.
Ferdinand: I see. How did you know about me then?
Captain: When he told me about the danger he faced, he asked me to ensure your protection. If I had known that the men would strike so quickly, I would've sent men your way a lot sooner.
Ferdinand: How did you find me then?
Captain: We heard about the death of the priest not that long ago. I knew that chances are he warned you and that you might be heading to the gates. I took a gamble and set a trap here. As though God played a hand, you led them right into the trap and we have one of them captured alive.
Ferdinand: The priest is dead. I saw his body. He said he wanted to be buried here.
Captain: He is a good man who is attached to his home. We should probably get you out of here. Do you have anywhere in mind?
Ferdinand: I plan to go to Buda. I might be able to get away there with the so many people living there. The priest gave me a good sum of ducats so I can start a new life there.
Captain: That's a good plan. We have some business to take care of here though.
Ferdinand: What business?
Captain: We have a captive and our torturers are probably getting to work already. We need the information. I bet you are curious who sent him, right?

Thinking about Laura, Ferdinand nods his head. The captain leads the way as the two men make their way deeper into the barracks. They walk down some stairs before they enter a long hallway. In the furthest cells, Ferdinand can hear screams from a man. To stop himself from running away, he thinks about Laura. He knows that he will never forget about Laura and he seeks revenge. He knows the tortured man would give him the answers he need. When the captain opens the door to the cell, Ferdinand isn't ready for the sight. The man has lost a couple of fingers with blood still dripping down from the joints. The man is blindfolded and tied to the wall by chains. The torturers have just began poking him with red hot irons and the prisoners screams loudly. The captain signals them to stop. As he is about to talk, the prisoner coughs a bit.

Prisoner: Austrian noble ... He sent us ... getting a document ... No more ...

With that, the prisoner stops breathing. Ferdinand cannot believe what he heard. He knows that Laura's family got some important documents but he doubt that it has anything to do with the Austrians. He turns to the captain who seems puzzled as well. Before he can ask a question, Ferdinand is led out of the room by the captain.

Captain: We'll talk elsewhere. We will get going soon. Get ready for a quick trip to the capital city.

The captain has Ferdinand wait outside the barrack as he returns inside. Few minutes later, he exits the barrack with a bag of his own. He then leads them towards the stable where two horses are resting at.

Captain: You know how to ride a horse?
Ferdinand: No.
Captain: I'll get you onto the horse and you just grab on. We don't have a minute to waste.

The captain then lifts Ferdinand onto one of the horses before getting onto his own. The two men set on their journey to the nation's capital.

Last edited:
Section II

Chapter 25 (part 5)

[February 22, 1356]

(Azow, Genoa)

Christopher limps home and walks into his room without any greetings for his family. He has waited a long time for this and doesn't want his family to talk him out of it. His family, knowing how important this expedition is, decide to stay out of Christopher's way. An hour later, Christopher is all packed and ready to go. He makes his way out of his room and heads for the fort gate where the expedition begins. When he arrives, there is hardly anyone there. Therefore, Christopher finds himself a nice shade as he waits for everyone else. The people part of the expedition arrive slowly but steadily. By the time everyone have arrived, the sun has set and the mayor announces that the expedition has begun. With lots of enthusiasm, everyone start marching out the gate into the wilderness. Christopher decides to stay near the front so he is guaranteed some action. Despite being crippled, he has no problem keeping up with everyone. The group heads straight east where their scouts recently discovered the whereabouts of the Mongol people. Everyone, except Christopher, are chatting without a care in the world. Christopher knows better than letting his guard then.

As the group start climbing a hill, Christopher hears the sound of hooves. Normally, he would welcome the news that he has discovered his enemies. However, there is a slight difference this time. The sounds of hooves don't number twenty or so. It sounds to Christopher that the hooves numbered in the thousands. He quickly makes his way up the hill while everyone else laugh at his eagerness. On the top of the hill, Christopher is shocked at what is ahead of him. Thousands of men on horses are charging towards him. These men aren't the inhabitants of the land. He knows that they are trained soldiers. Christopher immediately turns around while shouting: "Everyone get back! Everyone run back to the fort!" Most of the people starts laughing at what they assumed is Christopher's cowardice. With his life on the line, Christopher has better things than arguing with the people.

As Christopher starts to cut through the crowd, everyone simply move aside to let him pass. Meanwhile, some of the men has just gotten to the top of the hill. Before any of them can shout out a warning, the Mongol soldiers have already shot arrows through them. The rest of the group, shocked by the events, are slowly cut down as the Mongol cavalry move into the area for the kill. While the Mongols are busy, Christopher makes sure he keeps moving forward. While the gates aren't too far from him, the limp is definitely slowing him down. The Mongols, after finishing off the small expedition, starts making their way to the fort. One of the Mongol soldiers sees Christopher and decides to cut him down. Unlike the time when he is a kid, Christopher is ready this time. He waits until the soldier gets very close before he evades the blow and stabs his dagger into the soldier's thigh. The soldier loses his balance in the process and falls off the horse. As tempted as Christopher is to kill the soldier, he knows that he needs to escape first. He gets onto the soldier's horse and makes his way to the fort gate. Behind him, the Mongols were giving chase. As they near the fort, arrows are shot out of the gatehouse which stops the Mongols in their tracks. Christopher gets back inside the gate safely.

Once inside, some of the people leads Christopher to see the mayor. When he arrives at the town hall, he enters the mayor's office alone.

Mayor: What is going on there? When did the inhabitants merge together to form such a fighting group?
Christopher: Those aren't inhabitants, mayor. If I had to guess, they are likely soldiers of the Golden Horde.
Mayor: Golden Horde? Why would they want to do us harm?
Christopher: Whatever the case, they are attacking. With the garrison we have, we won't last a month.
Mayor: This is bad news. I guess we must evacuate everyone. Get the ships ready. We will all sail back to Liguria.

Someone runs into the office.

Guard: Mayor, the horde has broken through the gates. We cannot stop them.
Mayor: What? How?
Christopher: Let's hurry to our ships. We don't have time to ask questions.

The mayor and Christopher, along with the guards, make their way to the port. Looking back, Christopher sees destruction as the horde setting all the buildings on fire. Suddenly, someone pulls his sleeves. Looking down, he sees his little sister. His sister points behind him and he sees his entire family there. Without another word, they make their way to the nearest ship. Soon after they get on a ship, the ships sets sail and makes her way into the Black Sea. The other ships aren't so fortunate. The people wait too long and the horde manages to set fire to the ships. Other than the survivors on the ship Christopher is on, there are no other survivors. The ship starts making her way further from land to avoid the flaming arrows from the soldiers. Christopher decides to chat with his little sister.

Christopher: Susan, I'm surprised that all of you are safe. Why weren't you all at home?
Susan: Mother had a bad dream yesterday. She said that something bad was going to happen tonight and that we should stay near the port.
Christopher: My mother's ability never ceases to surprise me.
Susan: I just don't get how they managed to break through the gates so quickly.

One of the mayor's guards walk over.

Guard: They had tens of thousand of me with them. They charged and we weren't ready. Our defenders were simply outnumbered.
Christopher: If we held a bit longer, I bet more people can get away.
Guard: All the survivors are on this ship. The other ships have been burnt down already.
Susan: Everyone else is dead?
Guard: If they are fortunate, they are dead.

Susan is about to ask another question when she shrieks and hides behind his brother. Christopher looks across the room to see a mouse staring back. Christopher starts to get up when the mouse darts across the room into a hole.

Christopher: Don't worry, Susan. I'll protect you against all the mice on earth.
Susan: I know you would, brother.

Last edited:
Section II

Chapter 25 (part 6)

[February 22, 1356]

(Outskirts of Kaposvár, Hungary)

Ferdinand isn't quite sure where they are headed. He knows that they could be heading to Buda but that is only his destination. It would appear that the captain has his own destination picked. Ferdinand is certain that he isn't given a choice and, following the near death experience in Kaposvár, he prefers to be with someone who can wield a weapon. After an hour of traveling, the captain slows his horse and Ferdinand tries to do the same. Luckily for Ferdinand, the horse is well tamed and he doesn't have too much trouble. The captain is looking for something and Ferdinand is too shy to ask. After a while, the captain finds what he is looking for and heads down a small path. Ferdinand follows after him for a few more minutes before both men arrive in front of a camp. Hungarian soldiers are training in the open when a guard greets the captain. After a short talk, the guard heads into one of the tents. Shortly after, a tall man exits from the tent and walks towards the captain.

Alex: Captain, I was hoping to hear from you soon. The king is getting jumpy with the recent rumors.
Captain: I apologize, viceroy. I've been trying to track down the group and they have evaded me until yesterday. We captured someone alive and we learned some precious information.
Alex: Precious information? I like the sound of that. Who is the man beside you?
Captain: Ah yes, this is Ferdinand. He is a friend of the priest. I believe he discovered something that might be an interest of our enemies.
Alex: Good. Enough talk. You two get rested tonight. We will be setting out tomorrow for Buda. We need to inform the king and get countermeasures in place.
Captain: Understood, viceroy. We will just sleep with the soldiers in a tent tonight.

The viceroy walks away while captain gets off his horse. Ferdinand, with the help of the captain, gets off his horse as well. Walking through the camp, the captain leads Ferdinand right to a tent.

Captain: I hope you don't mind sleeping with soldiers tonight. It will only be one night.
Ferdinand: Was that really a viceroy?
Captain: Indeed, he is the viceroy of Ersekujvar.
Ferdinand: Why would he be all the way here?
Captain: What you and the priest discovered has huge importance on the future of our nation. We need to inform the king immediately.
Ferdinand: I don't see how I play a part in this.
Captain: There are three men that have seen documents. Two of them are dead and you are the only survivor.
Ferdinand: I don't know what's on the documents.
Captain: We will figure that out once we arrive at the capital. There are scholars there that might be able to aid us.
Ferdinand: I see. I never thought I would see the king in person.
Captain: Considering what you got yourself into, I'm not one bit surprised that you're getting this chance.
Ferdinand: Who are you?
Captain: I prefer to keep that a secret. I was never supposed to talk to you. However, the change of events made that impossible. All I can tell you is that the king sent me to investigate the rumors regarding that city.
Ferdinand: Rumors? Like the ones that say the viceroy is trying to defect over to Austria.
Captain: Yes, that's the rumor I'm investigating. While the king isn't convinced, he isn't taking a chance.
Ferdinand: So, what I had discovered have some relevance in all of this.
Captain: It would seem that way. Enough talk. I'm worried that we may have spies here as well.
Ferdinand: Alright. I guess I will learn about everything soon enough.
Captain: That's right.

Last edited:
Section II

Chapter 26 (part 1)

[February 23, 1356]

(Buda, Hungary)

The moon has risen up for awhile by the time the group make it to the Hungarian capital. Following a brief exchange with the soldiers at the gate, the group is allowed into the city.

Augustyn: Welcome to the capital. I would assume that most of you have never came here in the past. Whether or not you wanted to be here, you are here now. We will head to the palace so we can get some warm beds.
Cato: Palace? Who are you, Augustyn?
Augustyn: I guess I haven't introduced myself, have I? I've hinted that I'm part of the royal family but I never got into the details. The current king of Hungary is my uncle.
Cato: That's hard to believe. If you are so important, I'm surprised that they allow you to run around so freely.
Augustyn: Other than soldier escorts and some other minor privileges, I don't have anything else going for me. You see, the king has many nephews and I'm not one of his favorite.
Cato: That's too bad. I was hoping that you can arrange an audience with the king.
Augustyn: Hearing what information you have, I can organize an audience.
Cato: That sounds great!
Andra: I just want a warm bed. Those things soldiers sleep on aren't beds.
Sophie: I agree with you there.
Pebbles: Meow! :)

The group slowly make their way down the street to the palace. The street is already deserted and the group manages to get around with ease.

Sophie: Buda sure is tiny.
Francisco: You got that right. At least, this city is bigger than Arad.
Augustyn: What do you mean my city is tiny? List one city that is larger.
Sophie: Venezia is gigantic. Compared to Venezia, Buda looks like a small district.
Cato: That's true. Venezia is a metropolis.
Andra: You went to Venezia before, Dominik?
Cato: Yes, I have. It was a magnificent city. I've learned a lot there.
Andra: Why would you be in Venezia?
Cato: I once wanted to be a merchant. That dream was dashed when my father and brother were killed.
Andra: So you left Venezia and somehow became a mayor here in Hungary.
Cato: I don't exactly know what happened either. Let's not bother with the details, will we?
Andra: Alright, I never thought you would have so many secrets.
Richard: I hope all of you can keep the noise down. You are loud enough to wake the entire city.
Cato, Andra: Sorry!

The group arrive at the gatehouse surrounding the palace. One of the soldiers run up to the gatehouse to talk with the guards. Once all that is taken cared of, the gate is opened so everyone can enter. Once inside, the group continue their way to the palace while the soldiers head to their barracks. The palace is quite magnificent with its tall towers and seemingly impenetrable walls. Augustyn leads the group through another gatehouse to the stables. As soon as the horses are tied down in the stables, a few guards walks towards the group. Following a brief talk with Augustyn, the group starts making their way into the palace. Augustyn makes sure there are plenty of food for his guests before he sends them all to their rooms to rest. The group needs a proper rest before they can have a proper audience with the king.

Last edited:
Section II

Chapter 26 (part 2)

[February 23, 1356]

(Buda, Hungary)

Ferdinand struggles to stay on his horse while still keeping pace with the captain. Ferdinand feels like he stayed up all night since the captain has woken him before the sun even came up. After traveling a few hours, the sun has just began rising. The captain, seeing the time, urges Ferdinand to ride faster. With an upset stomach along with pains and aches from riding, Ferdinand isn't having the best start to his day. Still, he realized the urgency of his mission to the nation's capital, Despite the discomfort, he hangs on desperately as the duo continue their journey. The road is deserted and Ferdinand doesn't expect it to be packed for another hour or two. Even though he lives in Kaposvár, Ferdinand has heard about the danger of the roads and the importance of soldier escorts. With the few belongings on them, Ferdinand is sure that they wouldn't be robbed. All of a sudden, Ferdinand hears an arrow whistle past his head. Just as he is turning his head to see where the arrow came from, he catches sight of the captain loading his crossbow and take a shot. A scream is heard in the distance which assures Ferdinand that the captain hit someone. The scream appears to be all they needed to escape the ambush. A few more hours of travel see the two men at the Buda gates. The gate has only just opened with sleepy soldiers stretching their muscles. When the soldiers hear the approach of horses, they look up and, seeing the uniform of the captain, continue their stretches. Ferdinand and the captain make their way through the streets that are just starting to get crowded. A few minutes later, Ferdinand gets off his horse to see himself staring at the palace.

Captain: There's no time to admire the view. Let's head in and tell the king of our important discovery.
Ferdinand: Alright! Let's go.

The duo walk down a hallway to climb the stairs when an object lands on Ferdinand's head.

Pebbles: Meow! :)
Ferdinand: You look familiar. Where did I last see you?
Sophie: Ferdinand! I cannot believe that I would meet you here. What are you doing here?
Augustyn: I hope Pebbles isn't getting herself in trouble.
Pebbles: Meow! :mad:
Captain: Morning, Lord Augustyn.
Augustyn: Captain, I'm surprised to see you here. I heard you were sent on a mission.
Captain: I have returned with some grave news. I need to see the king immediately. The man here will fill in the gaps.
Augustyn: As luck would have it, the king will be granting my group an audience. You can come with us. I'm afraid I brought some grave news as well.
Captain: Guess our king will be busy for awhile.

The captain and Ferdinand join the group made up of Sophie, Augustyn, Cato and Pebbles. They head up the stairs where they are greeted by guards. With the guards escorting them, the group soon found themselves in the meeting room. To their surprise, the king is already sitting at his throne speaking with his adviser, Adrian. Sensing the presence of people at the door, the king looks up and signals everyone to enter.

Captain: Morning, my King! I have brought some worrisome news.
Louis: Ah, you're here! Wonderful! This will save me from organizing another meeting. However, Lord Augustyn will be reporting his findings first.
Captain: Of course.
Augustyn: My king, this man here is Dominik. He brought some disturbing news from the east.
Louis: East? As in Poland?
Cato: My king, not quite that far. As a matter of fact, it involves our own nation and Transylvania.
Louis: Interesting! Are you telling me that the people of Transylvania want to rebel?
Cato: Not quite, my king. Viceroy Fieldings is plotting to overthrow you.
Louis: I hope you have proof. Falsely accusing a Viceroy of such a crime is punishable by death.
Cato: I was the mayor that worked under him. If you need proof, then I would like to ask a question.
Louis: Ask away!
Cato: Why did Viceroy Fieldings request a large amount of supplies last month?
Adrian: He said that there was some accident with the previous delivery which saw all the supplies lost in a river.
Cato: I can assure you that wasn't the case. I have here the records of his warehouse.

Cato hands over the paper to a guard who in turn gave to the king. The king looks over it before handing it to Adrian.

Cato: Why would the Viceroy lie about the supplies? This isn't a small amount.
Adrian: So you're saying that he is using it to plan an attack here.
Cato: No, he isn't that foolish. His target is Transylvania.
Adrian: He wanted to solidify his position before challenging for the throne. Getting Transylvania under his control will do that.
Louis: Even if he does take Transylvania, what will make their people obey him.
Cato: There has been a valuable treasure uncovered in Transylvania. It is believed that it is document that stated the king of Hungary ruled over Transylvania. However, the Viceroy could claim that, with the documents, he is the rightful king of Hungary.
Louis: He would be foolish to oppose me.
Cato: He has taken precautions so you wouldn't be informed until it's too late. I made sure that wasn't going to be the case.
Adrian: Looks like we have a serious problem on our hands.
Louis: We do, don't we? Well, let's talk about the news from our captain here then.
Captain: There had been confirmation that the Austrians had been behind a series of killings. They had sent men to retrieve documents.
Adrian: What documents? Where are the documents right now?
Captain: The documents contain secrets that the Austrian didn't want us to know. As for the location, this man might have a better idea.
Ferdinand: I'm not too sure myself.
Adrian: Just speak what you know of.
Ferdinand: I found the documents in a chest at a nobility manor. At least, what's left of it after a fire. I brought the documents to the priest and he said a Bishop would be able to aid me. From what I heard from the Bishop, the documents were quite old.
Captain: At the moment, both the Priest and the Bishop are dead. I barely managed to get Ferdinand out of the city in one piece.
Louis: What could be so important that they send men here? What are the Austrians planning?
Captain: If I had to guess, the documents might contain information that would hinder their attempt to take Somogy from us.
Adrian: The Austrians had been busy in that province and I don't like that one bit. My king, what must we do?
Louis: We must first deal with the traitor Martin. He will learn the consequences of his actions. As for Somogy, we can only be vigilante since we have no leads to go on. Anything else?
Augustyn: That is all from us.
Captain: That's it for us as well.
Louis: Looks like I won't be getting much shuteye for the next few days. You're all dismissed.

The group leave the meeting room to be escorted downstairs.

Last edited:
Section II

Chapter 26 (part 3)

[February 23, 1356]

(Buda, Hungary)

As soon as the group reaches the ground floor, Pebbles gets free of Sophie's hands and runs off.

Captain: A traitor within and enemies abroad. I must admit that things are going to get hectic for awhile.
Augustyn: Knowing the king, he will assemble an army immediately to deal with Martin. As for the Austrians, we can only wait patiently until they make another move. Are you heading back, Captain?
Captain: Of course, I have duties there and I will only leave once I accomplished my tasks there.
Augustyn: I'm surprised that you came alone with this man. I thought your squad would join you.
Captain: I'm what's left of the squad.
Augustyn: You're kidding!
Captain: Those Austrians sent trained professionals. The rest of the squad were all killed. I vowed to avenge them and the only way to do so is to stop the Austrians. Of course, I wouldn't mind joining a war where I can personally kill some high ranking Austrian officials.
Augustyn: I wish you luck, Captain. I doubt your job is done anytime soon.
Captain: Farewell, everyone! Ferdinand, I wish you luck with your life. I can tell that your path hasn't been a smooth one but something tells me that your luck is about to change.
Ferdinand: I want to thank you for saving my life.
Captain: You helped as well. If I were you, I would stay here until things calm down a bit.
Ferdinand: Since I've brought everything with me here, I plan to start a new life here. Do you know any good marketplaces here?
Augustyn: I can help you there. Let's not keep the Captain around too much. He has a job to do.
Ferdinand: My bad. Goodbye. I hope we can meet again.
Captain: I hope so too.

The Captain walks to the stable and takes his horse. Before long, the Captain rides his horse into the streets and disappear in the crowd.

Sophie: Where did Pebbles go?
Augustyn: She'll be back soon. I wouldn't worry about her.
Cato: Not sure about you three but the meeting with the king took a lot out of me.
Augustyn: It's probably due to your first time experience. The king isn't that bad if you knew him.
Ferdinand: Aren't you going to show me to the marketplace?
Augustyn: Aren't you eager to start making money?
Ferdinand: I didn't bring too much. I need to start making money before I live on the streets. By the way, where's your father, Sophie?
Sophie: Probably sleeping in. He was exhausted after our trip here. I didn't bother waking him up.
Augustyn: Let's go to the marketplace then. It's a good place to relax.
Cato: Let's go then.

The party makes its way to a busy marketplace where many people are trying to sell their wares.

Ferdinand: This looks like a busy street. I bet the stalls are expensive as well.
Augustyn: Since you are a friend of Sophie, I can get you a good rate. First, we must find an empty stall though.
Ferdinand: Yes, that would be a challenge.
Man: Ferdinand? Is that you?
Ferdinand: Alfred? I didn't think I'd see you again.
Alfred: My brother, I didn't think you would be here either. I thought you probably headed west to France.
Sophie: Brother?
Alfred: We may not look like it but we shared the same parents. So, is this your daughter?
Sophie: Daughter?
Ferdinand: You are an idiot as always. She is just someone I befriended here in Hungary.
Alfred: Why are you here? By here, I mean the marketplace.
Ferdinand: I'm trying to find a stall.
Alfred: Still making you ugly barrels?
Sophie: His barrels aren't ugly!
Alfred: I assume that you have improved quite a bit. So, how about share this stall with me? We'll split the cost between us.
Ferdinand: Thanks, I really need to start my business again. Things happened too quickly the last few days.
Augustyn: I can see that we solved your stall problem. I will speak with the tax collector. He will give you a lower rate.
Alfred: Thank you so much, young man. You are truly an angel. I will thank you on behalf of everyone in my family.
Augustyn: Don't mention it. Your brother did a great service to my family.
Alfred: That's good to hear. He's usually a trouble maker.
Ferdinand: ...
Alfred: See, he admitted.

Just then, a messenger races down the street on his horse with everyone struggling to get out of the way.

Last edited:
Section II

Chapter 26 (part 4)

[February 23, 1356]

(Buda, Hungary)

The messenger races toward the palace to deliver a message to the Hungary king. Arriving in front of the outer gatehouse, the messenger gets off his horse to speak with the guard.

Messenger: I've been sent by the Polish king. Quickly inform your king that I have an urgent message for him.
Guard: How can I be sure you're not an assassin?
Messenger: Will this be enough?

The messenger takes out a badge that the guard recognized. The guards signals the messenger to follow him as both men run towards the inner gatehouse. Through the inner gatehouse, neither men wasted time as they both run steadily into the palace and up the stairs. On the top floor, the guard speaks with the royals guards before heading back down. The messenger follows the royal guards to the king's study. As soon as he walks in, the king and Adrian look up from their papers.

Messenger: Greetings, king of Hungary. I bring urgent message from the Polish king.

The messenger takes out papers from his bag and hands it to Adrian who has walked towards him. Adrian immediately passes it over to the king before both men begin reading.

Greetings to the Hungarian king,

I have written this letter to check whether or not our alliance is worth keeping. I have called you into the war but, thus far, you haven't sent a single soldier to the front lines. I hope you don't get the assumption that I called you in merely for show. I expect that you contribute to the war for the benefits of both our nations. If you still refuse to sent soldiers, I will take it as a sign that you don't take this alliance serious enough. By then, you better not be surprised when our alliance is dissolved. I strongly urge you to sent troops to show your sincerity to us. When you give us a hand this time, you will expect the same from us in your wars. I don't want to waste more time on words. I hope to see your troops fighting along side my soldiers soon. That is all!

Your ally,
King of Poland

Messenger: If you finished reading the letter and have no questions, I will be on my way.
Louis: Go ahead. I got the message loud and clear.
Messenger: Thank you! I will leave now.

The messenger leaves through the doorway and quickly exits the palace leaving the king and Adrian very unhappy. Once the king is sure the messenger is out of earshot, he slams his hand on his desk.

Louis: Who does this man think he is? Ordering me around? He must think he is the ruler of the world. The nerve!
Adrian: Now that the message did reach us, what are we going to do?
Louis: We will continue sending the five thousand men to the Transylvania border to deal with Martin. We will assemble another force to begin their march to Poland.
Adrian: Are we actually going through this demand? The Polish king will continue taking advantage of us at this rate.
Louis: I know it ain't pretty. However, we need the alliance with Poland. We have too many enemies in Europe and losing them as an ally would be devastating.
Adrian: It would appear that the Polish king knew about that as well. He's taking advantage of the situation.
Louis: Either way, we must aid them by sending men to the front line. Gather ten thousand men and send them on the way tomorrow.
Adrian: Yes, my highness. Looks like bloodshed will become a reality for our nation soon.
Louis: To make it worse, it's bloodshed that doesn't benefit our nation whatsoever. Get to work now!

Last edited:
Section II

Chapter 27 (part 1)

[February 24, 1356]

(Buda, Hungary)

My love,

My departure was sudden and unexpected. I wish I could say our farewell face to face but I'm afraid I wasn't given the choice. Me and my pals were training the in the barracks when a messenger suddenly entered into the courtyard and spoke with the captains. Soon after, we were told to quickly pack our stuff. At first, we weren't sure what was going on. We thought that we might be relocated to another city to make room for the recruits. That was a common thing here. As soldiers, we were told to never question our superiors. Thus, we packed up as ordered and began to assemble in the courtyard. We finally noticed that something was wrong when everyone was in the courtyard. By everyone, I meant the veterans and the recruits. Then, it dawned to us that we are heading into actual battle. This wasn't going to be a drill or anything. We were going to fight and kill real people.

The captains had their speeches but my mind was elsewhere. I joined the army hoping to save up money to support a family. Being a soldier pays decently here and a couple of years was all I needed. I never anticipated going into real battle. I looked around men and saw similar expressions. Most of them joined the army for the same reason as me. We needed ducats and we can earn some as soldiers. Learning a trade takes time and you need connections. When the captains finish their speeches, we began to break into our battalions. Our captain said a few quick words and we began marching out the barracks. We marched down the main street and exited the main gate. I know that, while you didn't see me leave, you would've at least heard from your neighbors about the sudden departure of soldiers. Before I walked out the main gatehouse, I tried to look back hoping to see you again. All I saw was the grim expressions of my pals who, like me, knew that some of us may not return home in one piece.

Once we exited the city walls, we began running eastwards. There were talks about fighting rebels but no one knew for sure. All we knew was that we were going into battle shortly. To make our journey worse, it began raining soon after. We were completely drenched with no signs of stopping. We must've been in the rain for a couple of hours. When we finally did stop, we saw a camp ahead of us. Unlike the ones we've seen in training, this one was huge. It could easily hold a thousand or so men. Our captain led us to a small empty piece of land where we were expected to set up our tents. I don't know if this was done on purpose but we didn't even have space to set up all of our tents. Roughly half of the tents were set up and that only happened when we lined them up literally side by side. I was fortunate to get my tent in the space and got in to dry myself up the best I can. It was a miserable night. Luckily, I have this letter to boost my morale. Just thinking about you makes my day much better. I don't have time to say more. I hope I can return soon and take you as my wife.

Last edited:
Section II

Chapter 27 (part 2)

[February 24, 1356]

(Buda, Hungary)

Following a night's rest, Ferdinand and his new friends head to Alfred's home near the marketplace. Alfred, on the previous day, has insisted to invite Ferdinand and his friends to a lunch. Excluding Augustyn, everyone else decides to honor the invitation. Without a guide, the group spends the whole morning finding Alfred's home. To their amazement, they discover that Alfred must have earned a sizable fortune to own the large manor he's living in. Alfred, apparently waiting impatiently at his gate, welcomes his guests with hugs to all the men.

Alfred: Ferdinand, is this your doing? Showing your friends around the city so I freeze to death waiting outdoors.
Ferdinand: I must admit that today is a wonderful day to get some fresh air. Don't you all agree?
Sophie, Richard: I agree!
Francisco: I wish to clarify something for our friend here. We got lost and Ferdinand didn't have a clue how to get here.
Alfred: Still bad with directions, I see. I feel bad for my new friends. They are quite unfortunate to have met you.
Ferdinand: Keep this up and I'll just leave now.
Alfred: Don't! Please don't. My wife will kill me if she finds out. Enough with this. Everybody please come in!

Alfred opens the gate and let everyone in. As soon as the last person gets in, two armed men stand behind the gates.

Alfred: Don't mind them. They are merely guards. You see, my wealth attract unwanted attention. I intend on being on the safe side.

The party walk down the main path past a gorgeous garden.

Alfred: My wife loves flowers. She purchases any beautiful flowers she sees in the marketplace. There are some shipments from the East and she absolutely adored them. Of course, she also has an incredible ability to keep the flowers alive and blooming. Currently, they may not seem like much but you will be amazed in the Spring.
Sophie: That is a great hobby. How does your wife find the time to maintain this garden though? You two seem to be at the marketplace all the time.
Alfred: With my wife, there's nothing stopping her from relocating some time for her garden. Even illness hasn't kept her down.
Richard: I do have something to ask you. I'm not sure if I'm at liberty to ask.
Alfred: Go ahead! I have nothing to hide.
Richard: Those guards of yours look familiar to me. Are they from the infamous Hungarian Mercenary camp?
Alfred: You noticed, haven't you? I thought as much. I will tell you the secret we're hiding. However, we will speak inside. Let's go!

The party picks up its pace down the path. Following Richard's question, there is an eerie silence amongst the member of the party. As though as they arrive at the front door, Alfred quickly opens the door, allow everyone in and locks it behind him. Alfred leads the party to his study a few doorway into the long hallway. After he ushers everyone in, he heads to the kitchen to have a quick talk with his wife. Next, he returns and closes the door of his study behind him.

Alfred: You may think I'm paranoid but I prefer being alive than dead.
Ferdinand: What did you get yourself into?
Alfred: It was a complete accident. I never intended this to happen. At first, I thought God blessed us. It was later that I discovered that, underneath the guise of a blessing, it's a curse.
Sophie: Tell us already! I cannot take the suspense anymore.
Alfred: I discovered a large treasury. The wealth from that treasure is so incredible that I fear nations will fight over it.
Ferdinand: So, it was this treasure that you became so wealthy?
Alfred: A small amount of it. Me and my wife discovered it and took what we can carry. You can see how far it got us. However, I think I've only just scratched the tip of the iceberg. I know, in my gut, that there's much more buried treasure.
Sophie: How is this a curse?
Alfred: Someone found out about our discovery. They have killed a few of my close friends who benefited from the treasure as well. While their deaths were pronounced as accidents, I know that those weren't accidents. There are people willing to kill to get the secret from us.
Ferdinand: Why do you only post two guards then?
Richard: He has a lot more than 2 guys. I managed to spot two more on the second floor.
Alfred: You have a keen eye. You are right that I have more people guarding this place.
Ferdinand: What do you intend for us to do?
Alfred: When I fond out that you have new friends in high places, I thought I finally found a way to remove the curse.
Ferdinand: How?
Alfred: Find out the history behind the treasure. Then, get the treasure to the Hungary government. Once that is accomplished, I know that those people will no longer come after us. We can live a simple life until we die at a ripe old age.
Cato: It's a treasure hunt, is it? I don't mind some adventure.
Ferdinand: Before we agree to anything, can you disclose any information first? I don't want to enter this wild goose chase until I get some facts.

Last edited:
Section II

Chapter 27 (part 3)

[February 24, 1356]

(Buda, Hungary)

Alfred: I know this may sound crazy but this is indeed how everything began.

When we brothers said our farewells in Brandenburg, I took my wife and headed south. Our goal was simple. We needed to find a new home to start a new life. Disease has not only ravaged our town but our nation as well. We knew that continuing living there was a great risk. We had little possessions at that time and packing was quick. It was a tough choice for both of us. We both loved Brandenburg so much since we were raised there. After we said farewell to the place we called home for decades, we began our journey southwards. We first attempted to explore Bohemia hoping that this nation was spared from the disease. However, that nation, like ours, was ravaged by disease as well. We knew that we needed to head further south and tried to avoid the towns and cities where the disease was rumored to be spreading still. Along the way in Bohemia, we heard from strangers that Hungary was fortunate enough to be spared from the disease. We chose to head there in hopes of the rumors being true. We continued to avoid the towns and cities in Bohemia and we got lost along the way. We were stuck in forests for nearly a month and, if it weren't for the kind strangers we met along the way, I have no doubt that we wouldn't be having this talk. Starving and battered, we finally arrive at the gates of a city. When we asked around regarding where we were at, we were surprised to find ourselves in Transylvania. We have traveled a long way and somehow bypassed Hungary altogether. With the few belongings we had on us, we knew starting a new life in this new foreign nation would be tough.

It was here that I wanted to thank my grandfather. He taught me and my brother foreign languages which made it possible for me to communicate with the locals. Otherwise, the lack of communications could mean us two starving to death. I started out as a worker at the local lumber mill. The work is exhausting but I was happy that we could at least have three meals a day and a roof over our head. We rented a small room in a crowded house but we were satisfied. It wasn't comfortable housing but it was an upgrade compared to what we had to suffer through during the journey. I was content with my job as a worker when I heard from one of my new friends a discovery. He said that he found a place with gold but he cannot carry much by himself. I didn't believe him at first. Gold lying around to be picked up wasn't something you believed it. My friend said that he was sure about his discovery because he sold one of the jewelry he found. While I was content with my life at the time, I didn't want to be left out from a chance to be rich. Thus, he assembled a small team and we made our trip to where the jewelry was found. Arriving at the place, we were a bit disappointed to not see gold and jewelry piles everywhere. With the tools we brought, we worked to dig deeper and, before long, we discovered a cache of gold. We were thrilled with the discovery. We began to work harder until we uncovered enough treasure to nearly overburden our cart. Satisfied with our finds, we returned home quietly with the secret only known between us. Once we arrive inside the city, we split it amongst ourselves and were happy to start our new lives.

A few weeks passed and we were sure that no one discovered our secret. I didn't want to attract unwanted attention and thus I let my wife use the newly found wealth slowly and carefully. She first purchased some wares and used it to set up a stall. We were making a nice profit and began to use it to purchase a more modest housing near the marketplace. We secretly used our gold to buy good merchandise for our stall. Slowly, and surely, our business became one of the most successful businesses in Transylvania. We were thrilled by how far we got with the wealth and decided to find the friends that aided us in the gold raid. It took awhile before we found one of my friends. He was suspicious about our intentions for looking for him. It took a lot of convincing before we convinced him that we meant him no harm. He told me that two of our guys were killed and their part of the loot was missing. He thought someone was trying to eliminate the competition so he can control all of the loot. He was convinced that I was that person until he was finally persuaded. This man was unsettled with the discovery that there was a marking on the neck of the corpses. A sign of the devil was found on them which could only be placed after the execution. The victims weren't church believers and had no association with the church for all their lives. He believed that the marking was a clue to the killers. I laughed at him for his beliefs and sent him packing. I knew that wealth can make people crazy and this guy only confirmed my belief. I had better things to do than to believe in these foolish rumors. When this guy was found dead in an alley, I finally realized that something is wrong. I told my wife to quickly pack up and we left Transylvania in a hurry. We decided to start life in the Hungarian capital where we felt would be a safe place for us. For safety measure, I hired the mercenaries to guard my new estate. Nothing has happened so far but I'm unwilling to take any chances.

Last edited:
Section II

Chapter 27 (part 4)

[February 24, 1356]

(Buda, Hungary)

Alfred: Well, that's my story.
Ferdinand: You never tried to give back what you stole to its rightful owner?
Alfred: If I knew the rightful owner, I would. Whoever the owner is, he wants us dead.
Cato: I believe that this owner wants the secret all to himself or herself. What you discovered probably had more value than what you first believed. I fear that you have doomed yourself and us.
Alfred: Sorry, but I know no other way. The mercenaries are helpful but they are still humans. I could barely sleep at night without worrying about it.
Ferdinand: I'm glad you told me. There was no way I would ignore the situation if I had known. Of course, I would prefer not to get my friends involved in all of this.
Richard: It's a bit late for that now. They probably saw us coming here and assume that we know about the treasure. Whether we want it or not, we are involved in all this.
Sophie: Are there any clues to the origins of this treasure? Any strange markings or words?
Alfred: As a matter of fact, there is. Let me get it for you.

Alfred leaves the room and returns shortly with a gorgeous necklace.

Alfred: This has been my wife's favorite possession. She loved how well crafted it is and the words on it look ancient.
Andra: I think this is written in old Hungarian.
Ferdinand: It is.
Alfred: Brother, when have you been an expert in language?
Ferdinand: I wouldn't say I'm an expert. I just happened to have seen it before. I came across some documents with this language and a few of my friends lost their life for it.
Cato: Well, I'd say this is a good start. Where can we get it translated?
Ferdinand: I knew a bishop who can translate it but he's dead now. I don't know who else would have access to this knowledge.
Richard: Let's ask Augustyn. I'm sure he would know someone in court that is more scholarly than us.
Cato: I hope your wife doesn't mind we take this with us.
Alfred: If giving up the necklace meant she can sleep soundly at night, she'd gladly do it.
Ferdinand: Augustyn is pretty busy right now, so I guess we can dig into the lunch my brother has prepared for us.
Sophie: I'm starving from the long walk here.
Alfred: You are in luck, young lady. My wife is an excellent cook. After this lunch, all of you will want more. I can guarantee that.
Ferdinand: If she could cook as well as I had remembered, I'll be able to vouch for her as well.
Cato: Let's start our lunch then. I want to solve this riddle regarding the treasure. It's always great joy to solve difficult puzzles.

The entire group makes its way to the dining room where Alfred's wife already prepared a few dishes.

Alfred: My wife probably will take awhile to finish all her cooking. Everybody sit down and dig in.
Ferdinand: You sure that's alright?
Alred's Wife: Go ahead, everyone. I'm almost done anyways.
Alfred: See.

Everyone sits down and starts digging in.

Ferdinand: I must say. This is much better than what I had ate before. Your wife's cooking has improved a lot.
Alfred: Well, we had access to spices now that we are wealthy.
Alfred's wife: These spices are incredible. I never thought the heathens would have discovered such an amazing thing. The food I cook now taste that much better.
Sophie: Alfred, I was wondering if you can give us some advice on setting up shop here. For example, what products can earn good money?
Alfred: You are a merchant, are you?
Sophie: I know my father likes to have his own stall. However, we need to start fresh and that got me thinking.
Alfred: Competition here in Buda is quite fierce with the new trade route between Venice and Constantinople. While ships are the best transports, there are still many land routes for those living inland. As luck would have it, one of those land routes go right through here.
Francisco: Looks like I'll have some good competition. However, it also means that I could probably earn a decent amount here. Not as much as in Venice but enough to get by.
Alfred: Yup, my suggestions for products would be cloth. There are many merchants selling cloths here but I don't like the quality. If you can import good cloths, you can make a great profit.
Francisco: I might explore that route. Ferdinand, are you still going to make your barrels?
Alfred: You still make barrels, brother? I must say I'm surprised that you are still in that trade.
Ferdinand: It's honest work that earns enough. I'm happy with that.
Andra: Dominic, what are your plans?
Cato: I'm not sure yet. I have to wait until Viceroy Fieldings is taken cared of before I make my next moves. I guess I'm stuck here until we find more clues regarding this treasure Alfred found. I guess some travel wouldn't be so bad.
Richard: I look forward to solving the puzzle as well. I want to get a few more adventures into my life before I get old.
Sophie: You're not that old.
Richard: I feel old enough.
Alfred: I hope you guys can get back to me quickly. I want to have a normal life again. Just getting tired of living a life where you have to look over your shoulders everyday.
Ferdinand: That must be a terrible feeling.
Alfred: The sooner you save us from this torture, the sooner all our lives can go back to normal.
Sophie: I think I'll keep this necklace. I'll try to meet him later today. Hopefully, we have someone within court that can translate this language for us.
Cato: I guess that means we are leaving. I wouldn't mind having dinner here.
Ferdinand: If the situation wasn't so dire, I would agree with you. However, solving this puzzle does come first.
Cato: Alright, let's go then. I assume that we are heading straight for the palace right now?
Richard: Before we go, let's ask Alfred for proper directions. I don't want to get lost again.
Alfred: Right, I forgot that you have Ferdinand as your guide. I'll show you the way out and then give you some simple directions to the palace.

The party makes its way out of the manor. Alfred gives Richard some simple directions and the party bids farewell to Alfred.

Last edited:
Section II

Chapter 28 (part 1)

[February 25, 1356]

(Buda, Hungary)

Ferdinand has gotten a late message from his brother regarding something important. He gets to the manor just in time to see it burst into flames. Many men lie dead around the manor, a couple of which Ferdinand recognized as the mercenaries his brother hired. Just as Ferdinand steps into the gates, someone tugs at his shirt. Ferdinand looks down to see his brother.

Alfred: They are here. I knew I couldn't escape them. I shouldn't have let my greed got the better of me. Go now! Go before they get you too!
Ferdinand: How did they find out? Let me get you some help.

Someone from the manor shouts and Ferdinand sees a dozen armed men looking in his direction. They start running towards him with the intent to kill.

Alfred: Brother, run! Get back to the palace!

Ferdinand sees a dozen armed men running towards him and his legs are frozen in place. While he tries to move, his legs aren't listening to his command. His brother, lying in a pool of blood beside him with a dagger stuck in his abdomen, sees the pursuers getting closer with each second. Alfred knows that his life is already over but he must get his brother to safety.

Alfred: Run! It's too late for me! Save yourself!

Alfred struggles to get up by pushing against the ground. He uses his last strength to jump into the path of the pursuers. Half of the pursuers trip over him as a result. While the pursuers curse, Ferdinand finally gets out of his trance. His legs can finally move and he runs for his life. Behind him, his brother's manor is lit by flames that illuminate the night. Ferdinand has long lost his sense of direction. He knows that he must get away from the pursuers. Wherever he gets, it would be safer than where he was at. People reacting to the fire run past Ferdinand but he stops caring. All he knows is that he must get away. Away from the death of his brother. Away from the flames that are still raging on. Away from the pursuers with the sole desire of killing him and would stop at nothing to achieve their goal. Running into a small alley, Ferdinand stops for a breather when someone suddenly jumps on top of him. Ferdinand tastes blood in his mouth and knows that his life is ending. Ferdinand starts blacking out and his last thoughts are of Laura. With his last breath, Ferdinand says his final words.

Ferdinand: Laura. I'm going to join you now...

(somewhere in Gulf of Odessa)

Susan coughs and wakes up her brother.

Susan: Sorry, brother. I'm just not feeling well.
Christopher: It's alright. I know you are exhausted from this trip. We'll reach land soon enough.
Susan: I hope so. It's really stuffy in here. -cough-

Christopher worries about his little sister. He knows that his sister isn't coughing due to the stuffiness. Several other people aboard the ship are getting sick as well. There aren't any physicians on board but it doesn't take one to know the situation is bad. Some of the young children has gotten high fevers and black spots all over their body. Not only were the children not recovering but Christopher can see that the disease is spreading. His sister is the newest victim but she may not be the last. Christopher wonders about why this disease is infecting people aboard the ship. There has been no cases in Azow where he lived. There is one thing he can determine regarding the disease. The ship is infested with mice and rats that were foreign to those seen by Christopher in Azow. These rodents also bring fleas that has been a huge annoyance to everyone. With the thought of the trip lasting quite a while, the idea of being stuck with fleas isn't too popular for everyone.

Susan: -cough-
Christopher: Do you want to drink some water?
Susan: I'm not thirsty, brother.
Christopher: Alright, tell me when you are.
Susan: -cough-

Last edited:
Section II

Chapter 28 (part 2)

[February 25, 1356]

(Buda, Hungary)

Cato shakes Ferdinand until Ferdinand wakes up.

Cato: About time you woke up, you've been screaming loud enough to wake up everyone here.
Ferdinand: It was a nightmare.
Cato: Care to share it? It's usually the best way to forget about it.
Ferdinand: I dreamed about my brother getting killed. When I tried to get away, I was killed as well.
Cato: Hell of a nightmare.
Ferdinand: Shh...

Ferdinand is suddenly very still and listens carefully for something. He then moves towards the window.

Ferdinand: I hear bells.
Cato: It's a bit late for the church, isn't it?
Ferdinand: Those aren't church bells. I would say they are bells that signal a fire.
Cato: You're right, I can see flames in the distance.
Ferdinand: What? Where would you say the flames are at?
Cato: If I got my directions correct, I would say that they are coming from the sector your brother lives in.
Ferdinand: No, it can't be.

Ferdinand collapses and starts sobbing.

Cato: Get a hold of yourself. It's probably not your brother. It could be a robbery gone wrong. I've seen them all the time.
Ferdinand: The timing of my nightmare was too perfect. I had a bad feeling when he explained to me what he got himself into. I never thought we would say farewell so quickly.
Cato: Get a hold of yourself then. Either way, you need to be strong. If they killed your brother, then you must avenge him.
Ferdinand: Is bloodshed the only way?
Cato: Your enemies believe it's the only way. That's why your brother is chased down. There are no other ways.
Ferdinand: I guess I should wait for confirmation first.
Cato: Good idea. If your brother was killed, we know that we must act fast. These people don't waste time hunting people down.
Ferdinand: I wished that I can find out what the writing on the necklace said. We need it translated if we hope to find the identity of our enemies.
Augustyn: You won't need to wait any longer.

Both Ferdinand and Cato turn around to see Augustyn standing at the doorway.

Cato: How did you get here without making a sound.
Augustyn: That shouldn't be first question you're asking. Ferdinand, the scholar has translated the writing. I believe you will find it interesting.
Ferdinand: Please tell me.
Augustyn: The writing goes like this: God! Give strength to the Templars!
Ferdinand: That's it?
Augustyn: This is all we have. Any idea about what this could mean?
Cato: If it mentions God, then we know the owner is a believer of God. I've never heard of the Templars though.
Andra: They are the Knight Templar.

Andra walks in without making a sound.

Ferdinand: Do none of you make a sound when you walk? I swear all of you would make perfect thieves.
Cato: The Knight Templar? I heard they are only legends. They don't exist.
Andra: They do. I've heard about their stories from my father. He said he actually met one alive before they all disappeared.
Augustyn: Define disappear.
Andra: They were persecuted across Europe. If they were found, they were killed immediately. People say they serve the devil but no one had the evidence.
Cato: Wait. Your father knew a member of the Templars. Alfred found his treasure in Transylvania. It's a bit much for it to be a coincidence, isn't it?
Andra: My thoughts exactly. Looks like we're going there, aren't we?
Ferdinand: I definitely will go. I fear my brother already fell victim to the group hunting them down.
Augustyn: The bells?
Ferdinand: Yes, I had a nightmare just before Dominic woke me up. I knew in my gut that it was true.
Andra: I'm sorry to hear that. Your brother and sister-in-law were great people.
Ferdinand: That's why I must avenge their death. I won't let these people get away with it.
Cato: We must now figure out who would want to go after the Templars.
Andra: That would be tough. It's rumored that the Templars had great treasures hidden away. This might explain the treasure Alfred found.
Cato: That would make sense. However, you're forgetting one point.
Andra: What?
Cato: To most people, they either never heard of the Templars or they simply believed it as a legend or myth. These people that are actively killing off people must know more than an average person. If I had to guess, they had a connection in the past with the Templars. Do you know anyone that associated themselves with the Templars?
Andra: I know that the church endorsed them. They also participated in the crusade. That's about everything I know.
Augustyn: That's a good start. I know a few scholars that could help us with the crusade. We might get more clues from them. As of now, we cannot really make any moves.
Ferdinand: Why not?
Augustyn: In case you have forgotten, we are putting down the traitor viceroy. Until he is dealt with, we don't have much choice.
Cato: Speaking of which, I think there's someone else we can ask for help. He's a noble of the Transylvania court. He's a decent man that might be able to give us more information.
Augustyn: Enough talk for now, we really should catch whatever sleep we can get before morning. By then, we have lots of tasks ahead of us.

Everyone head to their respective rooms to catch a bit more sleep. Ferdinand remains beside the window looking at the distance. The flames have grown large enough for him to see it.

Ferdinand: Brother, I will get to the bottom of this. I will avenge you.

Last edited:
Section II

Chapter 28 (part 3)

[February 25, 1356]

(somewhere in Gulf of Odessa)

Christopher suddenly wakes up and notices that his sister isn't beside him. He quickly gets up to look for his sister. He knows that his sister is too ill to walk by herself and the disappearance of his sister worries him. Walking up the stair to the main deck, Christopher hears a splash off the side of the ship. He runs up the stair to see a group of men walking towards him.

Christopher: What are you doing here this late?
Captain: We have no choice. We need to make sure everyone survives. We simply dumped those that are ill overboard. You'll thank us later.

The men make their way below deck as Christopher makes his way to the side of the ship. Looking over, he catches a glimpse of his sister before she went below the surface. Without thinking at all, Christopher leaps overboard into the water. Despite having a limp, Christopher does a great job keeping himself afloat while making his way to where he last saw his sister. Christoper makes slow but steady progress through the water until he sees some splashes nearby. Clouds cover much of the sky except for the small pockets of moonlight. With the aid of the moonlight, Christopher sees someone near him. He dives below the surface and starts surfacing the moment he is below the person. Using strength he didn't think he had, Christopher brings himself and the other person to the surface.

Susan: -cough- Brother. -cough-
Christopher: Don't speak. Get your breath back. I'll get us back to safety.

Christopher looks around but the ship is nowhere to be found. Knowing that there is no way they can get to the safety of the ship, Christopher uses the limited moonlight to find land. However, the waves begin to grow stronger with each second and Christopher has to use all his strength just keeping himself and his sister afloat. Susan has gone unconscious which Christopher thought at first meant she died. The occasional coughs from Susan did confirm that she is still alive. Christopher tries his best keeping the two of them afloat and soon loses track of time. Suddenly, Christopher notices that everything went dark. Staring behind him, Christopher sees a wave that seems to reach the heavens. Before he can react, the waves crashes down on them. Christopher loses consciousness but refuses to let go of his sister. The two children float on the water with a fate that seems to destine them for death.

(Buda, Hungary)

Ferdinand watches the sun rise slowly in the distance. By the time peasants make their way to the streets, Ferdinand got confirmation that his brother did meet an untimely demise. There has been no signs of those that started the fire which doesn't help Ferdinand identify his enemies. During breakfast, he and Cato start chatting about the fire.

Cato: What we know is that we are facing professionals. They don't leave any clues of who they are.
Ferdinand: What did you think of the mercenaries my brother hired?
Cato: They looked like they meant business.
Ferdinand: Yet, they were bested.
Cato: True, I will give them credit. Our enemies are well trained. Defeating them won't be easy.
Ferdinand: How do we protect ourselves then? I intend on discovering the story behind the treasure my brother found.
Cato: We will need to travel in a small group and keep a low profile. No one can attack something they can't see.
Ferdinand: We may have to fight them sooner or later.
Cato: Yes, we will need to have an escort with us. To keep the group small, I'm afraid we won't have too many with us.
Ferdinand: I recall you say you have a friend in Transylvania.
Cato: Yes, he might be able to provide us some aid. Let's map out the details once we meet with him. We might have more resources at our disposal by then.

Last edited:
Section II

Chapter 28 (part 4)

[February 25, 1356]

(Buda, Hungary)

Ferdinand and Cato meets up with the rest of their party. Augustyn has many duties in the Hungarian capital which prevents him from joining the party. Sophie and Francisco, hoping to start a new life in Buda, decide to stay behind to manage a stall they recently purchased. In the end, the party is only made up of Ferdinand, Cato, Richard and Andra along with a few guards sent by Augustyn.

Augustyn: You sure it's a good idea to head out now? We are still fighting the traitor viceroy.
Cato: That might be what our enemies believe as well. If we head out now, we could get a good head start.
Ferdinand: Yes, we need to make ourselves less exposed. If our enemies are hiding at the moment, they won't be bothering us for a few days. We can then start investigating without the risk of encountering them.
Cato: I also fear that our enemies will make their move once the battle is over. They might gather more men to uncover the treasure and smuggle it past our border.
Augustyn: I wish you all luck then. I've sent some of my best men. They not only have brawn but also have brains. You can rely on them to get you out of tight situations.
Richard: If you don't mind me asking, what past experiences do they have?
Augustyn: Why don't you ask yourself? Marcus!

Marcus walks towards the party.

Marcus: What are your orders, Augustyn?
Augustyn: They want to know you guys a bit better. Answer their questions the best you can.
Marcus: Alright.
Augustyn: You guys chat and get on your way then. I have some documents to go over. I wish you all luck.

Augustyn walks away leaving the party to their medium sized chamber.

Richard: Marcus, I was wondering what you were doing before you serve Augustyn.
Marcus: My past? It's not a pretty one.
Richard: I've heard my fair share. I doubt you'll surprise me.
Marcus: My buddies here are Lucas and Paul. Us three has known each other since childhood.
Ferdinand: From your accent, I'd say that you are from the north.
Marcus: Yes, we are. We were from Brandenburg and left there while we were still young. We wanted adventure and I will admit that we got more than we bargained for.
Cato: Were you three mercenaries at one point?
Marcus: Yes, we soon learned during the early parts of our adventure that the world was a cruel place. We needed a way of living and we somehow got into the mercenary business. It was a dangerous trade but the pay was good.
Cato: Yet, you serve Augustyn now.
Marcus: It was an interesting turn of fate. We were hired by a group that wanted to attack a town. The Hungarian army was there as well and the two sides engaged in battle. We didn't stood a chance and us three were captured alive. Augustyn saw the potential in us and recruited us into his ranks.
Ferdinand: I thought you said your past story wasn't pretty.
Marcus: The life of a mercenary isn't pretty. We fought for the highest bidder and we never hesitated to kill. It's a trade many frown upon but not all of us had a choice.
Richard: I believe your experience in the field will help us. I think we should start our journey soon. Any suggestions?
Marcus: We roughly know the whereabouts of the battles in Transylvania. We need to bypass those since it's not a good idea for us to get caught in the crossfire. I think our best option is to stick on the main road for awhile and start traveling through the forest once we are a day from the battlefield.
Richard: Sound plan. If we are all ready, I think we should head out now.
Cato: Let the adventure begin!

Last edited:
Section II

Chapter 29 (part 1)

[February 26, 1356]

(Kaposvár, Hungary)

Oliver walks around the wall in the dark searching for any signs of weakness in the wall. Meanwhile, Ferenc is keep a lookout for guards that might be patrolling the perimeter. Since midnight, not a single guard was seen patrolling. Ferenc thinks that his enemies are dropping their guard too much. This mission might be a lot easier than he expected. Oliver has nearly made a complete circle around the perimeter without anyone giving him trouble. Ferenc is thankful that this stage of the mission has been smooth. Just as he is about to turn around to head back to their new base, Ferenc catches sight of a torch in the distance. What disturbed him is the fact that the torch is heading in the direction of Oliver. At his position, Ferenc can make out at least 3 people from the dim light of the torch. Ferenc quickly makes a sharp sound with his mouth before making his way back down from the roof. Oliver, hearing the sound, quickly makes his way to a dark alley he scouted out earlier. Bending down to his knees, Oliver listens carefully to the arrival of the guards.

Guard 1: I was sure I saw someone here.
Guard 2: You are getting old, my friend. You are starting to imagine things. I'm pretty sure you want something exciting to happen.

Oliver takes a gamble as he edges his head just out of the darkness. With the torch light, he can make out three guards. Two guards are arguing with each other while the third looks around. Then, the third guard, for a split second, meets Oliver's eyes. Oliver backs away quickly but he knew it was too late. They have made eye contact and the guard knew his true intentions.

Guard 3: If you two idiots can stop arguing amongst yourselves, I prefer to get back to bed where it's warm.
Guard 2: This is a man who knows how to take care of himself. I'll head back with him. You can stay around longer if you want.
Guard 1: I'm not staying around by myself. Who knows where they are at.

The three guards start making their way back to their barracks and Oliver can no longer hear their conversation. Oliver knows that he is spotted but he isn't sure why the guard didn't capture him. Putting the question in the back of his head, Oliver makes his way quickly to the rendezvous he set up with Ferenc. The two of them meet at a small alleyway and Oliver finally lets down his guard.

Ferenc: What took you so long?
Oliver: I didn't want to take the chance of them catching me.
Ferenc: You must be losing my touch.
Oliver: There's something I want to tell you.
Ferenc: What is it?
Oliver: One of the guards saw me but he didn't tell his buddies. Instead, he led them away from me. Do we have no one part of our group inside the manor?

Ferenc ponders for a few minutes and Oliver knows better to not interrupt his friend.

Ferenc: Why would he set you free? We don't have anyone inside.
Oliver: What do you think his intentions are? Is he trying to lure us in by acting as though he didn't see me?
Ferenc: That would make sense. Though, it would be easier if they captured you and torture you, right? You're going to break sooner or later and tell them everything.
Oliver: You know I can handle any torture they throw at me.
Ferenc: Sure, I can definitely see that. Anyways, let's assume that they do want to lure us. They won't know when we'll strike but we can be sure they will be more alert. Our element of surprise won't be as effective.
Oliver: In other words, we will go to them to get slaughtered.
Ferenc: Yes, the fact that a guard saw you is bad news for us. I'm not liking this one bit.
Oliver: What will we do?
Ferenc: We still have a few hours before the sun comes out. Let's talk with Mark first.

The duo makes their way down the streets to their new base. Mark is standing guard at the door and lets the duo in.

Mark: How did it go?
Ferenc: It was fine until Oliver decides to let one of the guards catch sight of him.
Oliver: It wasn't my fault!
Mark: Yet, he is still here.
Ferenc: I have a feeling that they will prepare their defenses soon enough. I have a suggestion though.
Mark: Attack now when they least expect it?
Ferenc: Yes, they will have lowered their guard. I doubt they will be expecting us today.
Mark: Alright.

Mark shouts for a meeting and everyone gets off their bed immediately.

Mark: I know most of you want a bit more sleep. However, we have a change of plans. We are moving out now! Take everything you need for the job. I will be honest here. Some of you might not come back alive. I want to tell all of you that I'm honored to be your leader. Let our final mission go down in history.

All: "Ya!"

Everyone quickly gets to work as they pack whatever they needed. All of them has near death experiences in the past and this one was no different. Five minutes later, the group is ready to move out. Moving quickly through the night, the group makes their way to the manor where they are to complete their final missions.

Last edited:
Section II

Chapter 29 (part 2)

[February 26, 1356]

(somewhere in Gulf of Varna)

A captain and his crew of fishermen are working hard to get their catches before the storm moves into the area. Suddenly, one of the fisherman catches something heavy than. Calling for help, the rest of the crew helps him in pulling the net onto the deck. The fisherman calls to his captain in Turkish.

Fisherman: It's a boy! I pulled a boy from the waters.

The captain runs over and kneels down before the boy. He feels for a pulse.

Captain: He's alive! We must get him to a physician. Everyone pull back their nets. We are heading back.

The crew work without any complaints. They know that a life is more important than extra ducats. Following a few minutes of work, the crew is ready to head back to home. On their way, they pass another fishing boat. The captain has one of his fisherman explain their reason for heading back and continues on his way. The clouds are heading into the region quickly with the storm due in a few more hours. Meanwhile, the fisherman that pulled the boy out of the water has gotten a blanket over the boy to keep him warm. The captain comes over.

Captain: Arzu, how's the boy?
Arzu: Captain, he has high fever. I'm just surprised that he is still alive in the state he is in.
Captain: If he survives long enough for us to get him to a physician, he should be able to live.
Arzu: He talks in a foreign tongue too. He seems to repeat a single word.
Captain: If I had to guess, he's speaking the name of one of his family members.
Arzu: Captain, do you think he's a fisherman's son?
Captain: From the way he's dressed, I would say no. His skin suggests that he's a European.
Arzu: Could he be part of the group that escaped Azow?
Captain: I wouldn't be surprised. The barbaric hordes are attacking settlements in the north. If this boy escaped the onslaught, mother natures hasn't been kind to him.
Arzu: How long do you think it will take before the storm gets here?
Captain: Hopefully a week. I don't mind returning to the seas.
Boy: <cough>
Captain: That is a good sign. He has the will to live.
Arzu: Luckily, we will be back home soon.

The captain looks towards the western direction and sighs.

Arzu: What's wrong, captain?
Captain: Our simple lives will be interrupted soon.
Arzu: What do you mean?
Captain: War is coming. Our superiors want to conquest lands in Europe. They will make enemies and both land and sea will become a battlefield.
Arzu: When will it all end?
Captain: It will end once one side is victorious.
Arzu: Is that why we are heading out to sea as often as we can?
Captain: Once war starts, we won't be able to fish in peace. We might as well save up now and hope it's enough to get us through the wars.
Arzu: Meanwhile, children like this boy are displace from their homes and separated from their families. What is the purpose of war?
Captain: When we are the aggressors, I sometimes wonder about that myself.

Arzu looks behind him when he hears a cry from a nearby boat. He makes out someone on a fishing boat calling for help. The captain, hearing the cry for help as well, turns around. In the distance, they see a Byzantium warship heading towards a fishing boat.

Arzu: What's that ship doing here?
Captain: Looks like war has begun. Wait!

The captain takes a careful look at the fishing boat where they people were calling for help. At first, he cannot find the problem. Few seconds later, he realizes that a large projectile, likely from a ballista, has punctured through the fishing boat. The boat is sinking and the men on it are sitting ducks. The captain calls to his crew.

Captain: Men! We have brothers in need. We must sail to them to save them. Quickly change course!

The crew quickly work on turning their boat to move towards the fishing boat. It would come down to a race as the captain knows that he must not only rescue the men on the ship but also get away from the Byzantium warship. The captain and his crew cannot abandon their brothers in the face of danger as it goes against their principles. They have no choice but to take the dangerous route. While the fishing boat closes its gap with the sinking boat, the captain prays to Allah.

Last edited:
Section II

Chapter 29 (part 3)

[February 26, 1356]

(Kaposvár, Hungary)

The group makes its way through the street without making a sound. Once they are close to the manor, they head into a dark alley to gather.

Mark: Listen, we need to get inside without alerting anyone. We are at a disadvantage here, however. We don't know the layout of the manor and we have no idea how many guards are in there. Our target is the Viceroy but we may have to kill others. I wish you all luck and, hopefully, most of us will meet back here in one piece. Go!

With that command, everyone make their way towards the manor gates. The group then splits into two groups. One group, led by Mark himself, is entering through the west side by getting over the walls. Based on the earlier scouting from Oliver, the west wall is the furthest from the manor which means it's less likely they would be spotted by someone inside the manor. The other group, led by Ferenc, is sneaking in through the east. Oliver has noticed small breaches within the eastern wall. With a little bit of work, he believes that they could get a hole large enough for everyone to get through. The moon has, by then, been covered by cloud which conceals the two groups very well. As expected, no guards are patrolling the grounds and the group reach the outside of the walls without any troubles. Mark believes the guards would rather stay warm within their barracks than to waste time patrolling when there hasn't been any threats. Given that Oliver was discovered earlier, Mark knows that they could be walking into a trap. Either way, he and his group has no choice but to move forward. If they are to die this day, he would accept the fate.

The thought of failure came and went in a split second with Mark leading his group over the walls into the grassy field. Getting over the wall was simple because Mark and his group has practiced back home many times. The grass might make some sound but Mark knows that the guards stationed at the manor aren't professional enough to notice. They make quick progress through the field while keeping an ear out for any sound. As they approach the west side of the manor, Mark signals his group to kneel down while he scouts the path ahead. With his back pressed against the wall, Mark makes his way to the rear of the manor. Suddenly, he hears some noise. He slows down and creeps closer to the source of the noise. Mark sees a room which he assumes would be the barracks for the guards. A torch is lighting the interior of the barracks and, through the window, Mark can make out four men from the shadows projected by the torch light. Mark can guess the guards are playing a game of cards while drinking. Sure that there isn't anyone patrolling the area, he meets with his group and leads them past the barracks to the rear of the manor. What greets Mark is a large wooden door with a simple key hole in it. Mark signals the best lock picker to open the door. Within seconds, the door is opened and the group is inside. The hallways are lit by torches and not a sound can be heard inside. Mark expected the household is asleep and orders his group to split up. They need to quickly scout out the layout and find their target.

The manor is quite large but majority of it is on the main floor. Taking no chances, Mark orders everyone else to check the main floor while he heads upstairs alone. When he reaches the second floor, Mark hears a sound. Inching closer to the door, he sneaks a peak inside through the key hole. At first, he doesn't get a good angle and sees only the walls. As he adjusts slightly, Mark makes out a man with a dagger in his hand. Blood is dripping down the dagger. The man turns his head around and, for a brief second, they make eye contact. Mark realizes that he is spotted and tries to get back. Before he can retreat into the darkness, the person inside has already reached the door. In a split second, the man opens the door, grabs Mark by his arm and pulls Mark into the room. Once inside the room, the man holds the dagger to Mark's throat.

Man: I suggest you keep quiet if you wish to live.

Mark takes a look at his captor and realizes that he is outmatched. There is no way he can take this man on single-handedly. The man has a built of a giant with eyes sharp as a hawk. The fact that he was captured so easily tells Mark that, if his captor wanted him dead, he would already be dead.

Man: Listen carefully. I don't want to kill you. As a matter of fact, I want you to help me. We are both after the same person. I feel your skills might come in handy. Once this is all over, we will go our separate ways.

The man then lets Mark go and heads to the door. Mark takes a moment to get his breath back while looking at the corpse on the bed.

Man: Don't bother asking questions. Let's get this job done already.

Mark gets up and follows the man. He doesn't know the man at all but he feels he can trust this man. The two of them make their way down the hallway until they arrive at a well decorated door. Just as the man is about to push the door open, someone downstairs starts screaming.

"Fire!"

Last edited: